Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62008 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:46 - May 10 with 4746 viewsLord_Lucan

Are we in an asylum?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:48 - May 10 with 4738 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:46 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

Are we in an asylum?

We should be so lucky. At least they give you drugs.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:50 - May 10 with 4725 viewsfooters

Are we in an asylum?

Baker bashing bedlam.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:53 - May 10 with 4704 viewschicoazul

Are we in an asylum?

Are you new here?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:06 - May 10 with 4678 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:46 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

I've already explained that to you. You don't fool anyone with this tactic. You do it all the time on the Corbyn threads. Fake outrage in an attempt to distract from the fact that you have no real point. You can act as indignant as you like, but it doesn't hide the fact you've swerved the questions put to you.

What about this Danny Baker business are you aggrieved about? It is a simple question.

No. You haven't explained, you've diverted. And no I'm not using a tactic, but you quite clearly are (with a little bit of ad hominem thrown in for good measure).

You said I seem "reluctant to accept that while yes, it can be read as a joke about privilege, it can also very much be read as a joke about race."

Except I have accepted that. On several occasions throughout the thread.

Nevertheless, how does that equate to me "refusing to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps" in any case? All I've said is Danny Baker wasn't deliberately linking black people with chimps.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:10 - May 10 with 4665 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:18 - May 10 by Darth_Koont

I agree with that almost entirely but I think the sacking is morally and intellectually reprehensible.

Shows absolutely zero thought and awareness of context just a pig-ignorant knee-jerk reaction.

This from Sugar was far worse, not that I'm calling on him to be sacked either - but Baker was sacked within 12 hours of his tweet which makes out the crime was so bad there literally had no other option

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:11 - May 10 with 4665 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:06 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

No. You haven't explained, you've diverted. And no I'm not using a tactic, but you quite clearly are (with a little bit of ad hominem thrown in for good measure).

You said I seem "reluctant to accept that while yes, it can be read as a joke about privilege, it can also very much be read as a joke about race."

Except I have accepted that. On several occasions throughout the thread.

Nevertheless, how does that equate to me "refusing to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps" in any case? All I've said is Danny Baker wasn't deliberately linking black people with chimps.

Still waiting for you to answer a simple question mate.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:26 - May 10 with 4641 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:10 - May 10 by itfcjoe

This from Sugar was far worse, not that I'm calling on him to be sacked either - but Baker was sacked within 12 hours of his tweet which makes out the crime was so bad there literally had no other option

Blimey.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:30 - May 10 with 4628 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:11 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Still waiting for you to answer a simple question mate.

I'm still waiting for you to properly answer mine, given that I asked first.

You've only asked me a question to divert from the fact that you came steaming in with a baseless accusation in any case.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:32 - May 10 with 4620 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:30 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

I'm still waiting for you to properly answer mine, given that I asked first.

You've only asked me a question to divert from the fact that you came steaming in with a baseless accusation in any case.

Oh Dolly. Shoite or get off the pot. If you aren't going to answer a simple question then I won't waste my time with you.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:39 - May 10 with 4602 viewsLord_Lucan

My issue with this is that it is exactly the type of thing almost everyone gets sent to them on whatsapp and let's be quite honest - has a giggle.

I get very confused.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:42 - May 10 with 4594 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:32 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Oh Dolly. Shoite or get off the pot. If you aren't going to answer a simple question then I won't waste my time with you.

Haha, even though you've failed to answer my question (that came first) and have diverted by asking your own, you're waiting for ME to answer?!?

LOL.

Let's just accept that you can't and all this squirming and swerving is your way of avoiding it.

It's fine. I'm bored of this now. You aren't going to own up to your error so we may as well get on with our lives.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:31 - May 10 with 4538 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:42 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

Haha, even though you've failed to answer my question (that came first) and have diverted by asking your own, you're waiting for ME to answer?!?

LOL.

Let's just accept that you can't and all this squirming and swerving is your way of avoiding it.

It's fine. I'm bored of this now. You aren't going to own up to your error so we may as well get on with our lives.

Oh Dolly, for so many years now, you've been putting the melt in meltdown.

Never change x

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:43 - May 10 with 4519 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:31 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Oh Dolly, for so many years now, you've been putting the melt in meltdown.

Never change x

And you've been putting the div in diversion.

xxx

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:46 - May 10 with 4513 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:43 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

And you've been putting the div in diversion.

xxx

With zingers like that, I can't wait for your book to come out!

Div and and the 'Div' in diversion aren't even pronounced the same

Should have gone for 'Div in Division' mate.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 17:52]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:58 - May 10 with 4494 viewsPJH

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:32 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Worth clicking on this thread just to hear Sir Raymond Douglas Davies and gang, thank you.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:47 - May 10 with 4400 viewsSuperblue95

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:58 - May 10 by PJH

Worth clicking on this thread just to hear Sir Raymond Douglas Davies and gang, thank you.

I hope for your sake you only started reading on this page

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:49 - May 10 with 4307 viewsGogs

Here's how I view it, right or wrong for what it's worth.

Danny Baker doesn't care about the royal family, as he views them as the privileged elite who are a far cry from his working-class background. He eschews all coverage of them as far as is possible. Not necessarily that easy but if you put your mind to it, it can be done. I and several other people I know switch off to pretty much all royal news.

He hears news of a 'royal baby' possibly on the radio, possibly on TV or sees a headline online or in a printed paper, and other than 'royal baby' pays this news no further attention, other than the mischief-maker in him deciding to post on Twitter a very old photo (in a similar vein to previous posts of his concerning as he puts it ‘goofy pictures’ of animals), of a small chimp in a suit and bowler hat being led by the hand by a well-to-do looking couple.

Someone then points out to DB that the mother of the royal baby is Megan Markle, who is of mixed race. DB may have been ignorant of who she is and her ethnicity, or he may have known who Megan Markle is but did not know she was the mother of the royal baby in question. Either are plausible in my mind. Anyway, once this is pointed out to DB, the penny immediately drops and said Twitter post is immediately withdrawn, and he eventually releases a fulsome apology, which he should have done earlier. In the context of it being a picture of a chimp being compared to a baby born to a mother of mixed race, of course it is abhorrent and racist. But if the context is that DB had only heard the words ‘royal baby’ (i.e. either didn’t know who the mother was, or knew of Megan Markle, but not that she was the mother) and did indeed just intend this as a joke about a privileged royal baby, it is not racist, as to him it could just as easily have been about a baby born to William/Kate, Zara Phillips/Mike Tindall etc. He happened to pick the wrong royal baby to post this particular picture about, and it has backfired spectacularly. He has paid a very hefty price for his mistake. You may well argue that he needs better educating about the royal family, but that’s another matter. I don’t believe for one moment though that DB needs any education about the connotations of linking a picture of a chimp to the baby of a mixed-race mother.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 23:12 - May 10 with 4252 viewscaught-in-limbo

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:24 - May 9 by DecageBruce

I find this very sad. I have a mixed race wife and children so am acutely aware of racism as they can be subjected to it directly and indirectly when in certain company as they don't actually looked mixed race.

My observations of times that i have seen it can be categorised into a few areas:

1) People that are overtly racist and a disgrace
2) Those that get 'sucked into' conversations, such as in my local pub, and use phrases that they would never use in the 'real world'. I know they are not racist but their choice of language is ill informed (to get a laugh/get involved)
3) Those that use terms that are outdated but they are stuck in their ways and to them they don't see anything wrong with it.

When I read the DB piece originally it reminded me of the story of Roy Hodgeson trying to direct the England Team to play in a certain way and get the ball to Andros Townsend. He used a story/expression of 'Feed the Monkey'. Was Roy being racist? of course not. Did AT take it that way? No. Did some areas of the media try and whip up a storm about it? For a short time yes.

Having listened to DB and read his books for a long time I saw the tweet, on the media, and it didn't cross my mind he was being racist until I remembered the mother's background. Even when I remembered though, in the context of DB's history, general sense of humour and continuing lean towards his working class background I still didn't/don't believe he thought of the conitations that have been picked up on.

IMHO I think his apology was very fair as, believe it or not, there are lot's of people in this world who are not racist but may have said something meaning one thing that has been taken out of context. Sometimes it causes a row with the wife/family, in this case IMHO it has cost him his job due to the public nature of the post and the subjects involved.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 13:42]

I agree entirely with your post.

Unless I'm with my mum, it's not at all evident that I am mixed race. This is probably true of Meghan too. So she, like me, has most likely faced several ambiguous cases of racism. When it is uncertain, I've always found it best to give people the benefit of the doubt and let it go. Why? Because fighting hatred and prejudice is the goal, not getting bogged down in totally subjective arguments about what may or may not be racist - this only serves to deflect and dilute the real issue.

In sacking DB, thé BBC are effectively saying the tweet was racist and drawing a line about what is and what isn't culturally acceptable. Firstly, I don't want the BBC (or any broadcaster) to have that sort of power. And secondly, based on the countless overtly racist "comedies" shown on our TVs in the 70s and 80s, it's a bit rich that they are taking such a principled position here.

I think that this is more a case of "fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism".

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 05:51 - May 11 with 4180 viewsm14_blue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 23:12 - May 10 by caught-in-limbo

I agree entirely with your post.

Unless I'm with my mum, it's not at all evident that I am mixed race. This is probably true of Meghan too. So she, like me, has most likely faced several ambiguous cases of racism. When it is uncertain, I've always found it best to give people the benefit of the doubt and let it go. Why? Because fighting hatred and prejudice is the goal, not getting bogged down in totally subjective arguments about what may or may not be racist - this only serves to deflect and dilute the real issue.

In sacking DB, thé BBC are effectively saying the tweet was racist and drawing a line about what is and what isn't culturally acceptable. Firstly, I don't want the BBC (or any broadcaster) to have that sort of power. And secondly, based on the countless overtly racist "comedies" shown on our TVs in the 70s and 80s, it's a bit rich that they are taking such a principled position here.

I think that this is more a case of "fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism".

But surely this is about the BBC as an employer, not a broadcaster? Every company in the world is dealing with similar issues around social media and it’s very difficult to decide what constitutes misconduct in that field.

I work for a high profile organisation and have no doubt that I would face disciplinary action, and potentially dismissal, if I had posted what DB did, his tweet obviously brought the company into disrepute.

Now I’m not necessarily saying the decision to sack him was right, particularly in light of his most recent apology, but to call it fascist is melodramatic in the extreme and I suspect says more about your views if the BBC in general than this case in particular.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:17 - May 11 with 4120 viewsHerbivore

You could make the case that how this has been handled highlights the privileged status of the royal family, which is what he was attempting to lampoon in the first place.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:36 - May 11 with 4104 viewsballycastle

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:17 - May 11 by Herbivore

You could make the case that how this has been handled highlights the privileged status of the royal family, which is what he was attempting to lampoon in the first place.

Of course they are privileged, a three day old royal baby can walk when leaving hospital.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:41 - May 11 with 4097 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:36 - May 11 by ballycastle

Of course they are privileged, a three day old royal baby can walk when leaving hospital.

The French had the right idea. As usual.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:12 - May 11 with 4055 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:24 - May 9 by DecageBruce

I find this very sad. I have a mixed race wife and children so am acutely aware of racism as they can be subjected to it directly and indirectly when in certain company as they don't actually looked mixed race.

My observations of times that i have seen it can be categorised into a few areas:

1) People that are overtly racist and a disgrace
2) Those that get 'sucked into' conversations, such as in my local pub, and use phrases that they would never use in the 'real world'. I know they are not racist but their choice of language is ill informed (to get a laugh/get involved)
3) Those that use terms that are outdated but they are stuck in their ways and to them they don't see anything wrong with it.

When I read the DB piece originally it reminded me of the story of Roy Hodgeson trying to direct the England Team to play in a certain way and get the ball to Andros Townsend. He used a story/expression of 'Feed the Monkey'. Was Roy being racist? of course not. Did AT take it that way? No. Did some areas of the media try and whip up a storm about it? For a short time yes.

Having listened to DB and read his books for a long time I saw the tweet, on the media, and it didn't cross my mind he was being racist until I remembered the mother's background. Even when I remembered though, in the context of DB's history, general sense of humour and continuing lean towards his working class background I still didn't/don't believe he thought of the conitations that have been picked up on.

IMHO I think his apology was very fair as, believe it or not, there are lot's of people in this world who are not racist but may have said something meaning one thing that has been taken out of context. Sometimes it causes a row with the wife/family, in this case IMHO it has cost him his job due to the public nature of the post and the subjects involved.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 13:42]

That's a really good post, I don't know how I missed it as I've only seen is since CIL has replied to it, which was also a good post.

I see that the police are investigating it now which is barmy, they can't investigate a burglary but they have time to investigate this.

I remain totally confused as to why Baker was so stupid but a racist he isn't, I think we can all agree on this. Worryingly though is that the thing has blown up so massive that people who don't know anything about Danny Baker are now commenting on it and all he will be known to them is that racist guy. Also I would imagine this hasn't gone down too well in The States, a place where Baker wants to retire. Originally I had a little hunch that he pulled the stunt for publicity and would fly off to Florida where he would now be instantly recognised. I'm not sure if I still hold that view but if he did it has backfired incredibly.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:23 - May 11 with 4029 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Can this thread be retitled Oh Danny Baker please......just for consistency?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024