Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62020 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 01:39 - May 10 with 4485 viewsAtractorive

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Being racist suggests intent and over several instances. A one-off mistake that is seen by some as a racist act I'd suggest is very different.

I've told the story on here before of how I was describing a script for an ad to a Creative Director... who happens to be one of the few black Creative Directors in British advertising. Anyway, I was describing a guy walking down the street with an 80's boom box on his shoulder, blasting out tunes. Except when I got to it I described it as a "wog box" (what we called it when I was a kid). It was only at that precise moment that I realised what that word meant!

I was horrified, but the CD in question is a good bloke, realised I hadn't realised what the word meant until that moment, and has taken the piss out of me for it ever since.

But does that make me a racist?

I'd say that somewhat depends on your age range and when this was said.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 05:54 - May 10 with 4435 viewstextbackup

Im proper confused now.... i'd have thought based on how this board reacts to anything that there would be up roar against DB for this.... but its the absolute opposite.

and if truth be told I normally don't care about most things, but when I saw he'd tweeted that I thought "what a pr1ck"

megan is in the paper daily, race referred to, background refer to..... and he reckons he didn't know what royal had had a baby? or didn't link the two instantly? I call BS on this

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 07:37 - May 10 with 4380 viewsjimmyvet

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 05:54 - May 10 by textbackup

Im proper confused now.... i'd have thought based on how this board reacts to anything that there would be up roar against DB for this.... but its the absolute opposite.

and if truth be told I normally don't care about most things, but when I saw he'd tweeted that I thought "what a pr1ck"

megan is in the paper daily, race referred to, background refer to..... and he reckons he didn't know what royal had had a baby? or didn't link the two instantly? I call BS on this

It’s because most on here can forgive blatant vile racism if it’s aimed at the establishment. Hardly surprising when the party they support is being investigated for institutional racism currently. Racism is perfectly acceptable if committed by the left in pursuit of their goals and ideology but not when committed by the right wing it’s bizarre I agree with your thoughts completely.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 07:41 - May 10 with 4373 viewsSwailsey

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 07:37 - May 10 by jimmyvet

It’s because most on here can forgive blatant vile racism if it’s aimed at the establishment. Hardly surprising when the party they support is being investigated for institutional racism currently. Racism is perfectly acceptable if committed by the left in pursuit of their goals and ideology but not when committed by the right wing it’s bizarre I agree with your thoughts completely.

No need to shoehorn the left vs right debate in here.

Both sides are capable and equally get away with selective let offs from the media.

It’s bad, full stop.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 08:01 - May 10 with 4346 viewsm14_blue

What an absurd post.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 08:14 - May 10 with 4336 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 08:55 - May 10 with 4296 viewsLord_Lucan

I think it’s because we all know in our hearts that DB isn’t a racist, he may be a moron but he isn’t a racist. You are correct though, anyone else and TW4TDERS on here would be revelling in their moral outrage.

They don’t like it up em Captain Mainwaring.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:27 - May 10 with 4250 viewsHerbivore

I don't think Danny Baker reads The Sun.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:48 - May 10 with 4245 viewsPiercingBlue

Millwall fans aren't quite the thing, are they?
This thread is a perfect clash of..... on 09:50 - May 10 with 4245 viewsBloots

....personalities.

When you drop a semi-pro wind up merchant like Sprucey into a subject like this and then add in a couple of professional arguers like Bully and Dolly, it's always going to be carnage.

The only thing missing from this becoming an all time classic is the presence of Libby, this would be right up his street.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

This thread is a perfect clash of..... on 09:57 - May 10 with 4222 viewsartsbossbeard

This thread is a perfect clash of..... on 09:50 - May 10 by Bloots

....personalities.

When you drop a semi-pro wind up merchant like Sprucey into a subject like this and then add in a couple of professional arguers like Bully and Dolly, it's always going to be carnage.

The only thing missing from this becoming an all time classic is the presence of Libby, this would be right up his street.

Swap Bully for Glassers and that's the Holy Trinity of when to bail out of a thread.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 09:57 - May 10 with 4219 viewsfooters

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:00 - May 10 with 4205 viewsSwansea_Blue

Easily done imo. When I first saw the picture race didn't enter my mind. I had no idea (or interest) what her background is, although I do now obviously. I can imagine it was very easy to post that picture without thinking about the racial connotations.

Similarly, I've no idea what DB's intent was. None of us do, which is why we've got 14 pages of going round in circles. If it was intentional it's abhorrent and not acceptable. If not intentional it's simply stupid.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:09 - May 10 with 4150 viewsDarth_Koont

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:00 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

Easily done imo. When I first saw the picture race didn't enter my mind. I had no idea (or interest) what her background is, although I do now obviously. I can imagine it was very easy to post that picture without thinking about the racial connotations.

Similarly, I've no idea what DB's intent was. None of us do, which is why we've got 14 pages of going round in circles. If it was intentional it's abhorrent and not acceptable. If not intentional it's simply stupid.

Same here. I'm not saying I don't see race, of course that's nigh on impossible, but that wasn't anywhere near a defining characteristic of Meghan for me.

The ironic thing is that her mixed race background needs to be very much top of someone's mind to instantly see the connection and see maximum offence.

It was clumsy and once it's pointed out it seems obvious but as DB has done this posh chimp thing before, he should have been given a huge benefit of the doubt. Joe mentioned Ronson's book "So you've been publicly shamed?" and this is straight out of that in terms of the OTT and hugely unfair response.

Pronouns: He/Him

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:38 - May 10 with 4121 viewsSteve_M

Danny has just made a fulsome apology, perhaps he should have done it straight away but this reads like a genuine one:

(click through for thread).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:48 - May 10 with 4103 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:38 - May 10 by Steve_M

Danny has just made a fulsome apology, perhaps he should have done it straight away but this reads like a genuine one:

Hes not apologising to me but that is a proper genuine apology and is what he should have said in the first place, so fair play to him.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:59 - May 10 with 4075 viewsRyorry

I saw last night's TV news coverage of him being doorstepped by media & his protests that he quite simply was unaware of & hadn't made the connection. His body language did back that up completely, to the extent that I believe him.

Utterly stupid for such an experienced broadcaster, but one of the reasons I always found his shows so enjoyable was that he was such an off-the-cuff, serendipity on the spur of the moment, wild card.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:01 - May 10 with 4066 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think those attacking him ought to feel a bit ashamed of themselves after reading that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:02 - May 10 with 4056 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:01 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

I think those attacking him ought to feel a bit ashamed of themselves after reading that.

Jerseys here, telling people to feel ashamed of themselves for calling out racism.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:37 - May 10 with 4001 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:02 - May 10 by chicoazul

Jerseys here, telling people to feel ashamed of themselves for calling out racism.

Chico here, once again not worried about what someone actually says, or the context in which they say it.

What you're actually doing here is using racism to have a pop at me. You are a disgusting individual.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:46 - May 10 with 3974 viewsJakeITFC

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:37 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

Chico here, once again not worried about what someone actually says, or the context in which they say it.

What you're actually doing here is using racism to have a pop at me. You are a disgusting individual.

Whether he meant to be or not, the image was racist.

That’s why he’s deleted it and apologised.

This really isn’t very hard.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:53 - May 10 with 3948 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:46 - May 10 by JakeITFC

The image could be interpreted as racist. That is why he deleted it. He wasn't admitting guilt by removing it, just acknowledging that some may interpret it as racist.

Would the image have been racist if it was William and Kate having a baby? The image isn't racist but some can interpret it to be so in this context.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 11:53]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:53 - May 10 with 3945 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:46 - May 10 by JakeITFC

Where have I said otherwise?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:55 - May 10 with 3932 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:37 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

Why are you saying people who call others out for racism should be ashamed then?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:57 - May 10 with 3912 viewsDarth_Koont

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:55 - May 10 by chicoazul

Why are you saying people who call others out for racism should be ashamed then?

Maybe because many are calling it out as Danny Baker should be ashamed of himself for being a racist.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024