Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62018 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:07 - May 9 with 3189 viewsGeoffSentence

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:03 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

Person of colour = ok
Coloured = not ok

in these circumstances it's always better to let the people affected define what terms are or not.

Abbreviating it to POC seems a bit dicey to me. Maybe because it becomes a simple word that way. I foresee the day when racists have a pop at 'pocs'.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:19 - May 9 with 3156 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:37 - May 9 by ballycastle

Are you genuinely saying that it is ok to compare any persons new born child to a monkey?

WTF? Talk about putting words in my mouth!!! No, I'm saying it's not deliberate racism. Racism is the issue we're discussing here.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:22 - May 9 with 3148 viewsballycastle

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:19 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

WTF? Talk about putting words in my mouth!!! No, I'm saying it's not deliberate racism. Racism is the issue we're discussing here.

Are we? Some are definitely defending it regardless of racist connotations or not.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:24 - May 9 with 3140 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:41 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Utter tosh. So much has been made of the fact that she isn't white. Are you seriously suggesting that Baker didn't know?

You said she isn't black. Clearly that isn't true. How she looks to you isn't relevant, everyone knows her background. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that she isn't black enough to be able to suffer racism.

He may not be racist, but he is a moron and his words since this blew up in his face haven't exactly done him any favours either.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 15:47]

Yes, I am suggesting Baker didn't know - as I and many others on this thread didn't (or had forgotten).

You say he knew... then say he may not be racist. You're contradicting yourself.

Of course how she looks is relevant - if she doesn't look black then it's much easier to forget and make a mistake like this. And no, I'm NOT saying "she isn't black enough to be able to suffer racism." That's totally twisting my words and is a disgusting accusation. You should be ashamed.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:26 - May 9 with 3134 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:55 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

That all hinges on Baker not knowing. Seems unlikely.

I'd say it's much more unlikely that he'd know and deliberately post a racist post on twitter. Particularly when he has no history of racism.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:30 - May 9 with 3121 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:24 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Yes, I am suggesting Baker didn't know - as I and many others on this thread didn't (or had forgotten).

You say he knew... then say he may not be racist. You're contradicting yourself.

Of course how she looks is relevant - if she doesn't look black then it's much easier to forget and make a mistake like this. And no, I'm NOT saying "she isn't black enough to be able to suffer racism." That's totally twisting my words and is a disgusting accusation. You should be ashamed.

I don't think anyone in the country (apart from you) didn't realise she was of mixed race. Didn't you see the wedding with Brother Lee Love and his excellent sermon.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:45 - May 9 with 3073 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:30 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I don't think anyone in the country (apart from you) didn't realise she was of mixed race. Didn't you see the wedding with Brother Lee Love and his excellent sermon.

Nope. Believe it or not, some of us couldn't care less about royal weddings and babies.

And why are you saying just me when several in this thread have said they didn't know or had forgotten?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:52 - May 9 with 3058 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:45 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Nope. Believe it or not, some of us couldn't care less about royal weddings and babies.

And why are you saying just me when several in this thread have said they didn't know or had forgotten?

I haven't read everything maybe but I don't see anyone else saying they didn't know.

Regardless of whether you take any interest in the Royal family I sort of find it a bit ignorant I suppose not to be aware of it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:56 - May 9 with 3032 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:52 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I haven't read everything maybe but I don't see anyone else saying they didn't know.

Regardless of whether you take any interest in the Royal family I sort of find it a bit ignorant I suppose not to be aware of it.

He has said he hadn't realised/clicked it was Meghan who had had the baby, opposed to not knowing

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:58 - May 9 with 3025 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:52 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

Well it's all there in the thread, up to you whether you read it properly or not.

I am certainly ignorant when it comes to royal matters and make no apologies for being so. I have no interest in it so why would I take in the colour of Markle's mother?

I was aware Markle's American and used to be an actress. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:01 - May 9 with 3018 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:56 - May 9 by itfcjoe

He has said he hadn't realised/clicked it was Meghan who had had the baby, opposed to not knowing

Oh really?

Danny Baker though would have done and he has also been to enough Millwall matches to completely 100% be aware of monkey chants and monkey descriptions.

As I previously said he himself may not be a racist but he is definitely a moron.

I hope our opposing view doesn't effect the price of my extension?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:14 - May 9 with 2979 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:01 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

Oh really?

Danny Baker though would have done and he has also been to enough Millwall matches to completely 100% be aware of monkey chants and monkey descriptions.

As I previously said he himself may not be a racist but he is definitely a moron.

I hope our opposing view doesn't effect the price of my extension?

Sorry I mean Danny Baker said he hadn't clicked - he seemed genuine enough and I always tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

My issue is that people aren't allowed to make a genuine mistake, realise, rescind it and apologise - even that isn't good enough.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:23 - May 9 with 2947 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:14 - May 9 by itfcjoe

Sorry I mean Danny Baker said he hadn't clicked - he seemed genuine enough and I always tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

My issue is that people aren't allowed to make a genuine mistake, realise, rescind it and apologise - even that isn't good enough.

I don't think he should have been sacked and I agree that we all make mistakes - I make loads. Of course we should all be allowed to move on but the whole thing doesn't add up to me.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:35 - May 9 with 2919 viewsunstableblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:56 - May 9 by itfcjoe

DB explains himself here, basically how I personally have seen it too, but clearly not everyone has

https://news.sky.com/story/danny-baker-sorry-over-stupid-chimp-tweet-about-royal

I genuinely do believe Danny Baker's explanation; especially given the composition of the photo.

I also do not believe he is a racist, or even close to one.

It was however a massively stupid and insensitive photo to post.

What worries me though, and a much bigger point, is a trend in far-right and right wing groups, to seize upon such stories "as political correctness gone mad" and used as a stick to beat good sense journalism and liberal thinking/standards. This outrageous use of 'Fake News' and 'Liberal Elite Conspiracy' that has transferred from the cesspit Trump is creating over the pond, and into British society is of grave concern. The comments related to rape of an MP by a UKIP candidate that were brushed off as 'pub banter' and his subsequent backing by the UKIP leadership is despicable. Similarly Farage and his ilk try to demonise the BBC, despite it being a positive pillar for UK society, and the fact it gives him way too much air time to him.

Just watch this space, already a massive issue in the US, and spreading over here.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:36 - May 9 with 2908 viewsBraveDave

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:23 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I don't think he should have been sacked and I agree that we all make mistakes - I make loads. Of course we should all be allowed to move on but the whole thing doesn't add up to me.

I have to agree. I like Baker as a broadcaster, and so am desperate to find a way to defend him. But I can't.

From what I know of him, I don't believe he is racist, and don't believe he would have intentionally posted a racist post. However, in his position (and being an intelligent guy) he is at best a complete idiot for not pausing to think about whether the depiction of a baby monkey might be the wrong thing to do - it's the type of image that you would surely recheck and satisfy yourselves several times that it is not likely to cause offence to anyone.

Then, on at least that 2nd check, it would surely click and you would do the right thing. This is a guy from the BBC, which puts even more onus on him to think several times before posting anything. The best I can say for him is that he is stupid.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:37 - May 9 with 2904 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:26 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

I'd say it's much more unlikely that he'd know and deliberately post a racist post on twitter. Particularly when he has no history of racism.

Indeed. Even if he knew, he probably didn't think of it or make the connection. The chimp in top hat and tails is an age old thing.

I find it highly improbably that an intelligent fellow like Baker would have knowingly / purposely do this. Why would he?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:38 - May 9 with 2898 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:37 - May 9 by sparks

Indeed. Even if he knew, he probably didn't think of it or make the connection. The chimp in top hat and tails is an age old thing.

I find it highly improbably that an intelligent fellow like Baker would have knowingly / purposely do this. Why would he?

Quite.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:59 - May 9 with 2863 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:19 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Just accidental racism then.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:09 - May 9 with 2845 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:59 - May 9 by chicoazul

Just accidental racism then.

Its not racism at all if there is no intent or ignorance behind it. Just a silly mistake.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - May 9 with 2840 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:41 - May 9 by chicoazul

Cannot understand why you dont think posting a picture of a monkey as a joke representation of a black woman's child is not racist.

For the final time.

If that was what he had done, then I would agree with you 100%.

It is not what happened though.

He posted an image to depict the life of privilege the new prince can expect.

It was a poor choice of image and he should have realised how it could be interpreted and the offence it could cause.

It does not make what he did racist.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:19]
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:17 - May 9 with 2809 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:09 - May 9 by sparks

Its not racism at all if there is no intent or ignorance behind it. Just a silly mistake.

Are you unaware of implicit racism?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:18 - May 9 with 2804 viewssparks

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - May 9 by xrayspecs

For the final time.

If that was what he had done, then I would agree with you 100%.

It is not what happened though.

He posted an image to depict the life of privilege the new prince can expect.

It was a poor choice of image and he should have realised how it could be interpreted and the offence it could cause.

It does not make what he did racist.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:19]

Mens Rea.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:20 - May 9 with 2794 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:09 - May 9 by sparks

This
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:22 - May 9 with 2788 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:20 - May 9 by xrayspecs

This

Is anyone on here saying Baker is a racist though? I may have missed someone on the thread saying it. I imagine he's not, but that doesn't mean he didn't do something which was racist.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:25 - May 9 with 2782 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:18 - May 9 by sparks

Mens Rea.

The act is not culpable unless the mind is guilty.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024