Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 61644 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:48 - May 9 with 2991 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:45 - May 9 by Ryorry

He's been on BBCQT 31 times, 32 if you count tonight - an appearance record matched only by Ken Clarke.

You think that's proportionate or representative?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nigel-farage-set-record-question-time-appearances-cent
[Post edited 9 May 2019 12:46]

He's on there for entertainment value. Not saying it's right but he's a pantomime villain to one side and a hero to the other.

He's also a very good speaker. You can see why the BBC might be tempted to sacrifice their values for ratings.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:49 - May 9 with 2985 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:37 - May 9 by Superblue95

Well I had forgotten until I saw this thread so it’s not crazy to think others could have forgotten too. Then again I pay zero interest to the royal family. I’d much rather watch the Royle family

Fair enough.

There had been quite a lot of fuss over the issue tho. Mainly from deranged American correspondents who are strangely protective over the royal family.

Lots of salty middle-aged women who can no longer marry a prince :(

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:49 - May 9 with 2984 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:20 - May 9 by chicoazul

Did you just say that tweeting a picture of a monkey as a representation of a mixed race person is not "overtly and unquestionably" racist?

No.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:49 - May 9 with 2974 viewsHerbivore

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:46 - May 9 by chicoazul

I don't know? How many times do you think one of the most popular politicians in the country should be on the country's leading political show?

He's not popular enough to have ever won a seat in parliament so I'd suggest he should have been on fewer times than every actual MP.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:51 - May 9 with 2971 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:21 - May 9 by Binner

Portraying a black or mixed race person as a chimpanzee is also overtly and unquestionably racist.

If that was what was the intent, then I would agree with you 100%.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:51 - May 9 with 2962 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:49 - May 9 by xrayspecs

No.

OK, so do you think that it isnt?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:54 - May 9 with 2945 viewsFtnfwest

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:12 - May 9 by Ryorry

Is Danny Baker also barred from appearing on QT then?
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:55 - May 9 with 2937 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:48 - May 9 by J2BLUE

He's on there for entertainment value. Not saying it's right but he's a pantomime villain to one side and a hero to the other.

He's also a very good speaker. You can see why the BBC might be tempted to sacrifice their values for ratings.

My point was really about BBC hypocrisy - Danny B being sacked for tweet perceived as racist; Nigel F being repeatedly invited back despite evidence of multiple examples of his racism in the past.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:56 - May 9 with 2934 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:48 - May 9 by J2BLUE

He's also one of a very small pool so it's a ridiculous point.

When they need a Tory or Labour member and there are hundreds to choose from.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:59 - May 9 with 2913 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:51 - May 9 by chicoazul

OK, so do you think that it isnt?

No. If that was the case, then I would agree with you completely.

I am prepared to accept DB explanation that the post was about privelige, hence not racist.

I also said in my first post, that he should have thought about how the post could have been interpreted.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:02 - May 9 with 2917 viewsFixed_It

Surely there is as much an issue with those people who immediately saw it as being racist having racist thoughts themselves. He could well have made an unthinking error of judgement - but they clearly made the connection straight away...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:04 - May 9 with 2916 viewsSE1blue

I think the post was incredibly naive and crass and I’m not sure where it’s meant to be ‘funny’. You can totally see why it’s caused offence under the circumstances and I think he definitely needs to be reprimanded.

However, my only thought is can we approach this kind of instance differently for the betterment of society.

Surely, in this situation, we should be educating and making it clear why it’s unacceptable. A man with an exemplary record (when it comes to racism) loses his job for one (idiotic) tweet - I’m not sure that’s right either.

The outcome of this is two polar opposite opinions; one that believes he’s a racist and the other that says it was just a joke. But I it feels like there’s an opportunity to correct this and a chance to evolve being missed.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:06 - May 9 with 2881 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:04 - May 9 by SE1blue

I think the post was incredibly naive and crass and I’m not sure where it’s meant to be ‘funny’. You can totally see why it’s caused offence under the circumstances and I think he definitely needs to be reprimanded.

However, my only thought is can we approach this kind of instance differently for the betterment of society.

Surely, in this situation, we should be educating and making it clear why it’s unacceptable. A man with an exemplary record (when it comes to racism) loses his job for one (idiotic) tweet - I’m not sure that’s right either.

The outcome of this is two polar opposite opinions; one that believes he’s a racist and the other that says it was just a joke. But I it feels like there’s an opportunity to correct this and a chance to evolve being missed.

Best post on here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:12 - May 9 with 2855 viewsGlasgowBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:02 - May 9 by Fixed_It

Surely there is as much an issue with those people who immediately saw it as being racist having racist thoughts themselves. He could well have made an unthinking error of judgement - but they clearly made the connection straight away...

I think the people who immediately saw it as being racist, are aware that associating the baby of a woman from African American heritage with a monkey, are acutely aware of the connotations such an image holds.

And as Footers has previously said much has been made of Megan's ethnic background since her wedding to Harry.

Like I said last night, there were 4 opportunities to pause and reflect before hitting the post button on DB's tweet. As somebody who has worked in the media for over thirty years, writing scripts and jokes and understanding the red lines that can't be crossed when doing so, I can't believe he is that naive.

I keep wanting to give DB the benefit of the doubt but just can't convince myself he'd be that naive.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 13:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:15 - May 9 with 2838 viewsm14_blue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:21 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I must say I agree, I seem to be in a minority here but I simply cannot comprehend that he didn't realise it would be offensive. I just can't get my head round it.

It wasn't even funny, I think his position is indefensible.

This.

I don’t see that the BBC had any choice really.

I just can’t get my head round it, I don’t think he’s racist at all but just can’t understand why on earth he would post that? Doesn’t even make sense in any other context.

Bizarre
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:24 - May 9 with 2807 viewsDecageBruce

I find this very sad. I have a mixed race wife and children so am acutely aware of racism as they can be subjected to it directly and indirectly when in certain company as they don't actually looked mixed race.

My observations of times that i have seen it can be categorised into a few areas:

1) People that are overtly racist and a disgrace
2) Those that get 'sucked into' conversations, such as in my local pub, and use phrases that they would never use in the 'real world'. I know they are not racist but their choice of language is ill informed (to get a laugh/get involved)
3) Those that use terms that are outdated but they are stuck in their ways and to them they don't see anything wrong with it.

When I read the DB piece originally it reminded me of the story of Roy Hodgeson trying to direct the England Team to play in a certain way and get the ball to Andros Townsend. He used a story/expression of 'Feed the Monkey'. Was Roy being racist? of course not. Did AT take it that way? No. Did some areas of the media try and whip up a storm about it? For a short time yes.

Having listened to DB and read his books for a long time I saw the tweet, on the media, and it didn't cross my mind he was being racist until I remembered the mother's background. Even when I remembered though, in the context of DB's history, general sense of humour and continuing lean towards his working class background I still didn't/don't believe he thought of the conitations that have been picked up on.

IMHO I think his apology was very fair as, believe it or not, there are lot's of people in this world who are not racist but may have said something meaning one thing that has been taken out of context. Sometimes it causes a row with the wife/family, in this case IMHO it has cost him his job due to the public nature of the post and the subjects involved.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 13:42]
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:25 - May 9 with 2799 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:02 - May 9 by Fixed_It

I don't think that's fair.

For what it's worth I don't think he should be sacked and I don't think Danny Baker is racist in the slightest - I just cannot for the life of me understand what was going through his mind. As an intelligent man he must have been aware of what he was doing.

I do like listening to Danny Baker and I find him funny and entertaining but I have a hunch that in the real world he might be a bit of a tvvat.

The cynic in me thinks he may have done it for a publicity boost before he emigrates to Florida - which he has always said he wants to do.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:29 - May 9 with 2780 viewsDyland

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:25 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I don't think that's fair.

For what it's worth I don't think he should be sacked and I don't think Danny Baker is racist in the slightest - I just cannot for the life of me understand what was going through his mind. As an intelligent man he must have been aware of what he was doing.

I do like listening to Danny Baker and I find him funny and entertaining but I have a hunch that in the real world he might be a bit of a tvvat.

The cynic in me thinks he may have done it for a publicity boost before he emigrates to Florida - which he has always said he wants to do.

Last two paragraphs reflect my opinion on DB as well.

More generally though I find social media frenzies deeply tedious.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:39 - May 9 with 2730 viewsKeaneish

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:02 - May 9 by uefacup81

Posted a picture of a chimp in a top hat and coat, and likened it to the Royal Baby.

I can see both sides here.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 11:04]

It's not even a good gag!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:43 - May 9 with 2723 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:12 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

I think the people who immediately saw it as being racist, are aware that associating the baby of a woman from African American heritage with a monkey, are acutely aware of the connotations such an image holds.

And as Footers has previously said much has been made of Megan's ethnic background since her wedding to Harry.

Like I said last night, there were 4 opportunities to pause and reflect before hitting the post button on DB's tweet. As somebody who has worked in the media for over thirty years, writing scripts and jokes and understanding the red lines that can't be crossed when doing so, I can't believe he is that naive.

I keep wanting to give DB the benefit of the doubt but just can't convince myself he'd be that naive.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 13:15]

There are several posters on here, myself included, that either didn't realise or forgot that Meghan has an African American background.

If we can then so can Danny Baker. i think that's all this is.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:44 - May 9 with 2711 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:39 - May 9 by Keaneish

It's not even a good gag!

Isn't that Steve Bruce on the right?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:50 - May 9 with 2684 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:44 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Isn't that Steve Bruce on the right?

Maybe, he always did have poor taste in coats ...

https://images-a.jpimedia.uk/imagefetch/w_700,f_auto,ar_3:2,q_auto:low,c_fill/if

The hat would be a first for him tho ;)
[Post edited 9 May 2019 13:51]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:53 - May 9 with 2665 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:43 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

There are several posters on here, myself included, that either didn't realise or forgot that Meghan has an African American background.

Agree.

I don’t think any of us are saying what someone else should and shouldn’t be offended by, just that his explanation is perfectly plausible. I would be more concerned about someone denying this is a possibility.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:15 - May 9 with 2612 viewsGeoffSentence

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:43 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Funny isn't it, really we should all be 'colour-blind', but in this case it has backfired.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:22 - May 9 with 2590 viewsBloomBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:55 - May 9 by Ryorry

My point was really about BBC hypocrisy - Danny B being sacked for tweet perceived as racist; Nigel F being repeatedly invited back despite evidence of multiple examples of his racism in the past.

Baker works for the BBC and QT panel is invited guests, completely different.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024