Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Failed driving test 13:22 - Jun 12 with 7380 viewstown8710

Failed me driving test today (due to another driver ) so nerve racking. Any one else in the same boat?? Any examiners or instructors got any advice for nerves on the day as my driving is really good on lessons.
Failed driving test on 13:29 - Jun 12 with 6337 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How many minors did you get?

IF you really only failed due to another driver, that should give you confidence that you can pass next time.

I pass on my 3rd test! With 16 minors!

I was probably over confident!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Failed driving test on 13:29 - Jun 12 with 6330 viewsFunge

Yeah dude, that sucks. I failed 3 times; proper bag of nerves each time.

When I finally passed I caned a load of St Johns Wort ( https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/st-johns-wort/# - seemed to help, although I almost failed right at the end for celebrating too hard.

I got on really well with my first two instructors, and failed with both of them. The instructor who got me passed, was a total and utter prick.

So maybe see if Huckerby has set up a driving school or something?
Failed driving test on 13:30 - Jun 12 with 6324 viewsSaleAway

Generally nerves should disappear once you start concentrating on the job in hand, so perhaps try focusing more on the technical aspects of driving. If your mind is fully occupied on driving, then it shouldn't have the space for nervous thoughts.

But - it sounds like you just need more experience - if you get freaked out by another driver even if its because you're tense, that's something that you need to learn to control before you are fit to drive on your own.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Failed driving test on 13:30 - Jun 12 with 6321 viewssilkcutblue

Brandy is good for calming your nerves.
Wouldn't recommend having any before your driving test though
Failed driving test on 13:33 - Jun 12 with 6300 viewsBobbyDazzler

Took me 4 attempts to finally pass and i have been driving profesionally ever since (20 plus years now)

Dont be put off by failing. My first test i remember i failed almost as soon as i pulled out of the place by turning into the wrong lane ,potentially oncoming traffic haha!! Get yourself a good teacher & remember practice makes perfecet
Failed driving test on 13:46 - Jun 12 with 6244 viewsFtnfwest

It's just a case of keeping plugging away really. It's many moons ago but on my first test i was knocked off my bicycle on the way back home to be picked up by my instructor prior to going to the test. He said mention it to the examiner as i was a bit shaken up so i did....she failed me on just hesitancy at a junction.
Second test - brilliant, everything went right.....failed me on everything i could think of.
Third test, worst of the lot, cocked up 3 point turn and everything else i could think of.....passed.
It's all down to quotas.
Getting better with the generations as Ftnfwest Junior passed his first time a couple of months ago (mind you he had 3 times the lessons i had)
Failed driving test on 13:51 - Jun 12 with 6229 viewsSitfcB

I think it’s an element of luck, like you say someone else caused you to fail.

What did you fail on exactly? And did you have any other minors?

I hate tests and on my test I was proper nervous, I got lucky that my instructor took me on a couple of the test routes and it ended up being on one of those routes.

I was only out 35 mins.

Got three minors, one for going to fast and two for observation. That was only back in February.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2019 14:15]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Failed driving test on 13:54 - Jun 12 with 6216 viewsHalf_Idiot

I failed my first test before I'd even left the car park. I didn't realise that the car was left in reverse and nearly drove in to the wall behind me, I reacted quick enough to stop it but unfortunately the examiner reacted quicker. Only got three minors after that so I knew could do it.

I found the second test a lot easier because I knew I only failed the first time due to stupidity and nerves.

My advise would be to try and strike up some form of non-test related conversation with the examiner before even getting in the car, helped me relax as I thought of them as another instructor rather than a scary examiner.
Login to get fewer ads

Failed driving test on 14:12 - Jun 12 with 6148 viewsLuk38644

I managed to pass first time on 1st March this year with 6minors and weirdly didn't feel nervous about any of it.

Just don't get too downbeat about it. People fail, just get a bit more practice and try again, it's all you can do. As for nerves, someone else above mentioned it but just try and concentrate on your driving so there is no room for nerves.

The one thing my instructor said that stuck with me is to just treat your test like a 35minute lesson. Maybe if you forget you're being examined it will help? I just chatted to my examiner about Town and got on with the driving and it was fine.
Failed driving test on 14:12 - Jun 12 with 6147 viewsSitfcB

Failed driving test on 13:54 - Jun 12 by Half_Idiot

I failed my first test before I'd even left the car park. I didn't realise that the car was left in reverse and nearly drove in to the wall behind me, I reacted quick enough to stop it but unfortunately the examiner reacted quicker. Only got three minors after that so I knew could do it.

I found the second test a lot easier because I knew I only failed the first time due to stupidity and nerves.

My advise would be to try and strike up some form of non-test related conversation with the examiner before even getting in the car, helped me relax as I thought of them as another instructor rather than a scary examiner.

I did that...

Me to examiner: “So, are you a football fan...?”

Examiner: “No not really.......”

*awkward silence*

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Failed driving test on 14:19 - Jun 12 with 6122 viewsSouperJim

I'm currently teaching my Mrs and the biggest thing imho is time behind the wheel. For me I was very aware that without my instructor beside me, I was in sole control of the car. If you've got friends/family who will put you on their insurance, spend as much time as you can driving. The practical test will always be stressful, but the more hours driving you do before you take it the more relaxed behind the wheel you'll be.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Failed driving test on 14:22 - Jun 12 with 6115 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Just try to put it into perspective. You can drive and it's just a formality that you'll pass fairly soon (it's no disaster if you fail is it). Plenty of people take more than one go.
Failed driving test on 14:23 - Jun 12 with 6107 viewsjeera

Unlucky mate. It happens.

Dunno what you mean by 'due to another driver', but assume you mean due to the way you reacted to something another driver did.

That's how the road is gonna be though- full of other drivers, and you will learn how to deal with it. Own your mistakes, that's how you learn and improve. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you're not ready yet, but nerves are a horrible thing on a test -- I fully understand that. The hour's lesson before my test I had a nightmare and my instructor said he hoped I'd got all my mishaps out of the way cos if I drove like that on my test I'd be f*cked.

Plug away as others say. If it's become all a bit too serious maybe go go-karting for a day to try to put some fun back into driving or something.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Failed driving test on 14:24 - Jun 12 with 6103 viewsJ2BLUE

I passed fourth time. Like you I drove really well in lessons but went to sh1t in tests. I passed when my instructor sat in the back of the car on my test. While reversing around the corner he gestured to me to turn the wheel more. Who knows, I might have failed again if it wasn't for that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Failed driving test on 14:31 - Jun 12 with 6088 viewsBinner

Rather than blame "another driver" you would be better off accepting that you made a mistake or mistakes.

Acknowledging your mistakes is the first step to putting them right and putting them right is the way to, eventually, pass your test.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Failed driving test on 14:34 - Jun 12 with 6071 viewsMJallday

all the best drivers pass 2nd time ;)

my advice, build up a rapport with your examiner. youve got 1 hour in a car with them, say hi, keep it chatty and light.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Failed driving test on 14:38 - Jun 12 with 6050 viewsSouperJim

Failed driving test on 14:31 - Jun 12 by Binner

Rather than blame "another driver" you would be better off accepting that you made a mistake or mistakes.

Acknowledging your mistakes is the first step to putting them right and putting them right is the way to, eventually, pass your test.

This is very true. Another driver might put you in a situation that then caused you to fail, but you are examined on your ability to drive, not what other people do.

I failed first time for a major fault, slightly cutting a corner when turning right into a side street. There was an oncoming vehicle which I got too close to. If that car hadn't been coming, I probably would have passed first time, but the fault was mine.

I actually drove much worse second time and got quite a few minors, but passed. It's a bit of a lottery in the end when you're inexperienced, try not to worry about it too much and you'll pass soon.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Failed driving test on 14:41 - Jun 12 with 6031 viewsSE1blue

I'm also in the 'passed 4th time' club with a lot of other posters on here. Was also a bag of nerves each time.

Mrs SE1 rips me for this but in 28 years of driving I've not had a single prang, whereas she has written off 2 cars (she passed first time).

I passed a long time ago but is it still possible to choose the time of your test? For the one I passed, I chose just after rush hour on the morning of a week in the summer holidays. There was virtually no traffic on the road and I didn't have all day to think about it. I also did a couple of laps of the town before my test just to get comfortable before the test.

Good luck next time!
[Post edited 12 Jun 2019 14:46]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Failed driving test on 14:49 - Jun 12 with 5989 viewsSuperblue95

Failed driving test on 13:29 - Jun 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

IF you really only failed due to another driver, that should give you confidence that you can pass next time.

I stalled three times on my driving test due to nerves and still passed.

OP, just keep at it and you will be fine. I failed on my first time due to somebody else (and also due to driving straight past a stop sign a few minutes later, but we shall ignore that). If possible try and re book for a cancellation spot so that you will only find out close to the day and won’t have as much chance to build up the fear in your head

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Failed driving test on 14:54 - Jun 12 with 5981 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Failed driving test on 14:34 - Jun 12 by MJallday

all the best drivers pass 2nd time ;)

my advice, build up a rapport with your examiner. youve got 1 hour in a car with them, say hi, keep it chatty and light.

A mate of mine kicked his examiner out of the car half way around his test.

They both had to walk back to the test centre.

.....my mate was in his own car, and when he was about to pull out of a junction the examiner pulled the handbrake. He knew he had failed, and wasn't happy with it!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Failed driving test on 14:56 - Jun 12 with 5962 viewstown8710

Failed driving test on 13:29 - Jun 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

4 minors
Failed driving test on 14:57 - Jun 12 with 5953 viewsPinewoodblue

Failed driving test on 13:46 - Jun 12 by Ftnfwest

It's just a case of keeping plugging away really. It's many moons ago but on my first test i was knocked off my bicycle on the way back home to be picked up by my instructor prior to going to the test. He said mention it to the examiner as i was a bit shaken up so i did....she failed me on just hesitancy at a junction.
Second test - brilliant, everything went right.....failed me on everything i could think of.
Third test, worst of the lot, cocked up 3 point turn and everything else i could think of.....passed.
It's all down to quotas.
Getting better with the generations as Ftnfwest Junior passed his first time a couple of months ago (mind you he had 3 times the lessons i had)

I also made a mess of. Three point turn. It was very windy and I but. Dustbin lid that had blown into the gutter. Thought that was if especially after I said "didn't see that" examiner responded "neither did I but I'm not driving." Assumed that was it so wasn't. Concerned about rest of test.

Almost back to test centre and examiner told me to drive on. Went around the block and was surprised when test ended to be good I had passed.

Biggest shock of the day was when driving instructor announced he needed to speak to someone would I park the car outside the driving school. This was in Cambridge test centre was on Station Road driving school on Hills Road.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Failed driving test on 14:57 - Jun 12 with 5948 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Failed driving test on 14:56 - Jun 12 by town8710

4 minors

That should give you confidence for your next test.

And as others have said, accept responsibility, don't blame the other driver. That should stand you in good stead for next time.

Failed driving test on 15:00 - Jun 12 with 5937 viewstown8710

Failed driving test on 14:56 - Jun 12 by town8710

4 minors

Thanks guys ill keep plugging away wish i had done it when i was 17 nothing to worry about back then.
Failed driving test on 15:03 - Jun 12 with 5926 viewsMJallday

Failed driving test on 14:54 - Jun 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

A mate of mine kicked his examiner out of the car half way around his test.

They both had to walk back to the test centre.

.....my mate was in his own car, and when he was about to pull out of a junction the examiner pulled the handbrake. He knew he had failed, and wasn't happy with it!!

my first time i thought i did really well, but from memory (this is over 20 years ago) i got a major fault for something or other, but i was gutted. i was only 17 so i put the entire thing to bed, went to uni and did my 2nd attempt 4 years later

i really ballsed up my 2nd test, i splashed an old lady in gloucester's bruton way, i cut up a bus. i chopped and changed lanes. but i had a really good rapport with instructor.
after i said "hi how are you " as he got in the car, he told me he'd been to india.

at that point id never been to india in my life, (funnily enough went for the first time this year) - but i basically went with it, told him id been out there regularly and got him into convo.

after that he must have fallen asleep or something. all he did was gush about how good it was and i just sat there soaking old ladies, annoying the commuters of gloucester and agreeing.

so my advice, yeah do that.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024