Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce 09:49 - Jul 17 with 2929 viewsSitfcB

Was like us swapping McCarthy for Hurst.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 09:53 - Jul 17 with 2915 viewsElderGrizzly

Except that Bruce looks like he has eaten Hurst
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:00 - Jul 17 with 2885 viewsWD19

Nah, they have gone straight from McCarthy to Lambert, skipping Faustino Asprilla in the Hurst role in between.
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:03 - Jul 17 with 2867 viewsrickw

He's the best they could hope for!
A club who spends nothing have just sold their only goalscorers... hang on this is sounding familiar!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:13 - Jul 17 with 2840 viewsclive_baker

I'm happy to take stick for this but I think Bruce is a really good manager. He's got a lot of contacts and he's well liked, vastly experienced, done it all as a player and on balance has a decent managerial CV. Benitez was leaving anyway, and in terms of a replacement I think Bruce will do OK. He needs a little backing, especially having lost Perez, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Newcastle comfortably in mid table this season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:22 - Jul 17 with 2815 viewsSWGF

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:13 - Jul 17 by clive_baker

I'm happy to take stick for this but I think Bruce is a really good manager. He's got a lot of contacts and he's well liked, vastly experienced, done it all as a player and on balance has a decent managerial CV. Benitez was leaving anyway, and in terms of a replacement I think Bruce will do OK. He needs a little backing, especially having lost Perez, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Newcastle comfortably in mid table this season.

Heard a stat on one of the football podcasts that, of all managers who've managed 250+ matches in the Prem, only two have win ratios of under 30%. One is Bryan Robson.

I'd imagine Nodge, Sheff U et al are very happy that Benitez isn't in charge of Newcastle. They'll be down. Only two spaces to fight for.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:27 - Jul 17 with 2803 viewsclive_baker

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:22 - Jul 17 by SWGF

Heard a stat on one of the football podcasts that, of all managers who've managed 250+ matches in the Prem, only two have win ratios of under 30%. One is Bryan Robson.

I'd imagine Nodge, Sheff U et al are very happy that Benitez isn't in charge of Newcastle. They'll be down. Only two spaces to fight for.

I think the win % stat should be taken with a slight pinch of salt give he's managed some real guff in the Premier League. Mick had a win % of <10% at Sunderland.

Heard it here first, Newcastle won't finish in the bottom 6.

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:38 - Jul 17 with 2773 viewsSWGF

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:27 - Jul 17 by clive_baker

I think the win % stat should be taken with a slight pinch of salt give he's managed some real guff in the Premier League. Mick had a win % of <10% at Sunderland.

Maybe if Bruce gets the boot and they reappoint Benitez before Christmas!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:42 - Jul 17 with 2760 viewsunstableblue

But Newcastle fans loved Bentitez, they loved the style of football he was playing on a low budget compared to clubs in the same division, the fans really wanted him to stay. Benitez carried himself with great dignity throughout his tenure despite difficult circumstances.

So there really is no comparison.

Hurst's appointment was the problem, not the need for change.

Do keep up!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:52]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:47 - Jul 17 with 2742 viewsTractor_Buck

My Dad is a lifelong Toon fan. I was expecting him to go apoplectic when he heard the news.

His reaction: "Well, at least he's a Geordie".

To me that summed up the apathy that pervades the club and its owner.
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:48 - Jul 17 with 2734 viewsJohnny_Boy

But surely it's the managers responsibility to - y'know - improve a squad with what he has at his disposal. He underperformed at Villa massively, all things considered.
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:53 - Jul 17 with 2719 viewsSitfcB

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:42 - Jul 17 by unstableblue

But Newcastle fans loved Bentitez, they loved the style of football he was playing on a low budget compared to clubs in the same division, the fans really wanted him to stay. Benitez carried himself with great dignity throughout his tenure despite difficult circumstances.

So there really is no comparison.

Hurst's appointment was the problem, not the need for change.

Do keep up!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:52]

Thank you x

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:09 - Jul 17 with 2688 viewsKieran_Knows

It's certainly going down well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:11 - Jul 17 with 2684 viewsunstableblue

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:53 - Jul 17 by SitfcB

Thank you x

I am available for advice and guidance at any time.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 11:11]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:12 - Jul 17 with 2680 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think he's a bad manager, but with the better quality of manager coming into the leagues, mostly from abroad, I'd now put him as a good Championship manager as opposed to someone who will do anything in the PL.

Benitez struggled at Newcastle with the level of backing they get from Ashley, and is a much better manager than Bruce. If Bruce keeps them up this year I'll be surprised - Ashley just won't spend the money on the quality required.

It was only at the end of the last transfer window that Michael Owen was usurped as their record transfer. Rondon has been allowed to walk out the door rather than be signed permanently because he is 'too old' for Ashley's policy when he has actually shown he can lead the line in the PL

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:12 - Jul 17 with 2676 viewsrickw

I agree, I think the Newcastle job is a poisoned chalice - following a manager who'd over-achieved and was loved by the fans, an owner with no ambition, sold their goalscorers and any new manager will be given very little to replace them with.
Most managers realise that and that's why several turned them down first, the only reason Bruce accepted I think is because he's a fan and has probably dreamt of playing or managing Newcastle his whole life...

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:13 - Jul 17 with 2668 viewsSarge

Except that Bruce is a good manager and Benitez is a top class one
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:18 - Jul 17 with 2657 viewsSuperblue95

Yawn.

Another Mick Inner shoehorning McCarthy into a thread for no reason whatsoever in order to wind up some Mick Outers. Tomorrow a Mick Outer will start a thread comparing McCarthy to something sh1t to wind up the Mick Inners

It really does become tedious beyond belief. He’s gone ffs

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:22 - Jul 17 with 2633 viewsclive_baker

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:12 - Jul 17 by rickw

I agree, I think the Newcastle job is a poisoned chalice - following a manager who'd over-achieved and was loved by the fans, an owner with no ambition, sold their goalscorers and any new manager will be given very little to replace them with.
Most managers realise that and that's why several turned them down first, the only reason Bruce accepted I think is because he's a fan and has probably dreamt of playing or managing Newcastle his whole life...

Perhaps the passing of his father has something to do with it too. A lifelong Newcastle fan, maybe he feels he wants to do it for him, which I would understand.

As others have said he'll certainly need some backing from MA, but then anyone who took that job would have done. He's up against it in terms of financial constraints and the fans having their backs up from day 1 but it's nothing a few good results won't put right. I think he'll do a decent job.

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:23 - Jul 17 with 2624 viewsElderGrizzly

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:12 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

I don't think he's a bad manager, but with the better quality of manager coming into the leagues, mostly from abroad, I'd now put him as a good Championship manager as opposed to someone who will do anything in the PL.

Benitez struggled at Newcastle with the level of backing they get from Ashley, and is a much better manager than Bruce. If Bruce keeps them up this year I'll be surprised - Ashley just won't spend the money on the quality required.

It was only at the end of the last transfer window that Michael Owen was usurped as their record transfer. Rondon has been allowed to walk out the door rather than be signed permanently because he is 'too old' for Ashley's policy when he has actually shown he can lead the line in the PL

I’m sure the promoted clubs are glad to see this appointment!
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:24 - Jul 17 with 2624 viewsblueislander

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:18 - Jul 17 by Superblue95

Yawn.

Another Mick Inner shoehorning McCarthy into a thread for no reason whatsoever in order to wind up some Mick Outers. Tomorrow a Mick Outer will start a thread comparing McCarthy to something sh1t to wind up the Mick Inners

It really does become tedious beyond belief. He’s gone ffs

Where were the dissenting voices among Town fans when Hurst was appointed?
Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:25 - Jul 17 with 2620 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t think Bruce is a terrible manager (although his recent record is poor) but struggling to see it myself - their best players have gone and there seems little sign of any plan to replace them. Whoever it was was going to be up against it quite simply - and I don’t see anything in Bruce that screams anything other than relegation battle personally

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 11:31 - Jul 17 with 2601 viewschicoazul

He's alright as a Manager, but he is very disloyal.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 12:24 - Jul 17 with 2497 viewsBlueBadger

Newcastle swapping Benitez for Bruce on 10:00 - Jul 17 by WD19

Nah, they have gone straight from McCarthy to Lambert, skipping Faustino Asprilla in the Hurst role in between.

So, they can expect a limp relegation leavened by some nice dinners for Alan Shearer?
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 16:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024