Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass 11:20 - Aug 14 with 23023 viewsmos

Hi all,

If you live in the Ipswich area, you may have heard or even seen the recent developments that have been ripping through our beautiful countrysides. The Ipswich Northern Bypass has been proposed and is presumably in construction, if any of you have seen it, it’s a horrific sight and will devastate our natural countryside that makes Suffolk such a lovely county to reside in.

From the above, 3 routes have been proposed, which are all unnecessary and rip into our great countryside.

This clearly should be discussed, but if you care for the region’s natural landscape and protection of its greenery then the matter needs to be brought to attention. Therefore I strongly urge you to campaign to stop the bypass through signing the petition which can be found on the ‘Stop The Ipswich Northern Bypass’ website, which I will link below.

Thank you.

https://stopipswichnorthernbypass.co.uk

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:02 - Aug 14 with 4380 viewsbrazil1982

Excuse my ignorance, but is the point of this to link A12 to A14, and not necessarily a Northern bypass? Isn't the point of a bypass to relieve minor roads of all this traffic? Is it really that bad through Grundisburgh etc?

btw I am against it.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:04 - Aug 14 with 4377 viewsReuser_is_God

Nah, fcuk you & the rest of Witnesham.

#BuildTheRoad

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:06 - Aug 14 with 4358 viewsjeera

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:38 - Aug 14 by mos

I think the concern raised here isn’t just by those who will be disturbed by the noise created by these big blundering roads and from the locals, like you think. But infact from anyone who can visualise the daftness and destruction of the proposed plans, from those that care for our environment and from those that are happy to spend extra time in traffic if it means that we don’t have to blast holes through our countryside.

Although extra time in traffic = more fumes of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:08 - Aug 14 with 4349 views26_Paz

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:59 - Aug 14 by noggin

Even if it removes some traffic from a highly congested area?

What these people are really interested in is keeping strangers away from the town.

The Paz Man

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:10 - Aug 14 with 4342 viewsStokieBlue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:08 - Aug 14 by 26_Paz

What these people are really interested in is keeping strangers away from the town.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:12 - Aug 14 with 4335 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:06 - Aug 14 by jeera

Although extra time in traffic = more fumes of course.

It has to be presumed that the road will eliminate traffic, realistically I’m not sure if that will be the case.

It will increase the development of new settlements, which will increase carbon emissions too. On top of that, lots of vegetation will be destroyed which of course acts as a carbon sink.

Road developments often encourage trade, which may boost the use of Felixstowe and surrounding areas (obviously a fantastic benefit, but at the cost of the environment), which will actually increase traffic.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:17 - Aug 14 with 4315 viewsStokieBlue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:12 - Aug 14 by mos

It has to be presumed that the road will eliminate traffic, realistically I’m not sure if that will be the case.

It will increase the development of new settlements, which will increase carbon emissions too. On top of that, lots of vegetation will be destroyed which of course acts as a carbon sink.

Road developments often encourage trade, which may boost the use of Felixstowe and surrounding areas (obviously a fantastic benefit, but at the cost of the environment), which will actually increase traffic.

The counter argument to that is that Ipswich and the local area actually need those new settlements and that the country as a whole needs more (hopefully affordable) housing.

This is why it's such a tricky subject, there are legitimate views on both sides. Unfortunately they are likely also irreconcilable views.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:22 - Aug 14 with 4287 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:12 - Aug 14 by mos

Eliminate traffic, lol. Because as we all know more roads = fewer cars.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:23 - Aug 14 with 4288 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:17 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

The counter argument to that is that Ipswich and the local area actually need those new settlements and that the country as a whole needs more (hopefully affordable) housing.

This is why it's such a tricky subject, there are legitimate views on both sides. Unfortunately they are likely also irreconcilable views.

SB

There’s so many different issues, making it a very large debate.

It’s clearly more than just ‘should we have a road or not’.

There’s issues of housing, the local economy, the environment and climate chang and traffic. That’s why this absolutely needs to be talked about and weighed up rather than just mindlessly going in with a decision without having talked about the various issues that will arise or would be solved.

Even since I started this thread, some very very good counter arguments have been raised which bring in new issues that I hadn’t thought about previously. I’m glad this thread has been a good debate, rather than the usual name calling and flouncing.

It’s a real issue, with two sides to the debate, both with good arguments to back itself.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:25 - Aug 14 with 4280 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:22 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

Eliminate traffic, lol. Because as we all know more roads = fewer cars.

Have you read the thread?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:25 - Aug 14 with 4275 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Seems to be a big play on the amount of CO2 that 'more cars' will generate.

By the time its complete, there will be far more electric cars on the road, and that will only increase proportionally.

I think the CO2 argument is a flimsy one.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 12:25]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:29 - Aug 14 with 4273 viewsClapham_Junction

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:59 - Aug 14 by Guthrum

Edit: reply to different post. Wrong place by accident.

On that point, is it more polluting to have traffic flowing freely around a bypass, or fume belching vehicles stuck in jams or crawling through towns?

In terms of the environmental impact of constructing this road, that can be offset by grassy embankments/cuttings and tree planting. Some of the best wildlife habitats in the country are along our railway lines.

Not advocating this particular road, just making a couple of points for discussion.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 12:01]

The issue is that road building or widening often creates new journeys, so it not a case of simply allowing existing traffic to move more freely.

The Campaign for Better Transport has a decent explanation here: https://bettertransport.org.uk/roads-nowhere/induced-traffic
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:29 - Aug 14 with 4265 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:25 - Aug 14 by mos

Have you read the thread?

Yes, why?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:33 - Aug 14 with 4249 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:29 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

Yes, why?

Then may you elaborate on your first post?

The argument was that moving cars produce less CO2 as they get to their destination before ones stuck in traffic do. Which is a good argument.

But that would only be the case if the new road developments actually reduce traffic.

Which is what I said in the post that you quoted.

So I am quite confused at what your post was about.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:35 - Aug 14 with 4238 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:33 - Aug 14 by mos

Then may you elaborate on your first post?

The argument was that moving cars produce less CO2 as they get to their destination before ones stuck in traffic do. Which is a good argument.

But that would only be the case if the new road developments actually reduce traffic.

Which is what I said in the post that you quoted.

So I am quite confused at what your post was about.

New road developments do not reduce traffic. This has never happened in human history.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:36 - Aug 14 with 4232 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:35 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

New road developments do not reduce traffic. This has never happened in human history.

Which was my point.

Exactly my point.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:38 - Aug 14 with 4228 viewsGeoffSentence

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:59 - Aug 14 by noggin

Even if it removes some traffic from a highly congested area?

As we all know it won't do that. Building new roads generates more traffic. The consequence of building a northern bypass will be more development north of Ipswich with more traffic as a result.

Also it won't do diddly squat for traffic in Ipswich, most of the traffic in Ipswich is from one part of Ipswich to another, which could be easily be reduced if people could be prepared to cycle or walk instead.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:39 - Aug 14 with 4218 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:36 - Aug 14 by mos

Which was my point.

Exactly my point.

Well, yes my brother. We are in agreement.

Here is a definite way to reduce all traffic on the roads; re-instate all the train lines Beeching closed.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:40 - Aug 14 with 4215 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:39 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

Well, yes my brother. We are in agreement.

Here is a definite way to reduce all traffic on the roads; re-instate all the train lines Beeching closed.

Ah, misunderstanding.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:52 - Aug 14 with 4173 viewsGuthrum

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:29 - Aug 14 by Clapham_Junction

The issue is that road building or widening often creates new journeys, so it not a case of simply allowing existing traffic to move more freely.

The Campaign for Better Transport has a decent explanation here: https://bettertransport.org.uk/roads-nowhere/induced-traffic

Ideally, we'd be improving public/bulk goods transport. But the individual vehicle genie is rather out of the bottle.

I think the car pollution problem will largely disappear in the West over the next decade or two, as the electric/hybrid revolution takes over.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:01 - Aug 14 with 4149 viewsChondzoresk

Ipswich needs it. Thousands of times I have gone down the A140 wishing to get towards the Woodbridge direction....yes, I can go over the bridge and round to Levington etc, but it’s a blooming nightmare.

Yes, I can understand vitriolic passion against it, but personally it’s long overdue. I think every large town and city has a full bypass. House prices will go up locally. Make Ipswich and surrounding areas economically better.

So, a resounding ‘get on with it and build it’ from me.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:02 - Aug 14 with 4135 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:01 - Aug 14 by Chondzoresk

Ipswich needs it. Thousands of times I have gone down the A140 wishing to get towards the Woodbridge direction....yes, I can go over the bridge and round to Levington etc, but it’s a blooming nightmare.

Yes, I can understand vitriolic passion against it, but personally it’s long overdue. I think every large town and city has a full bypass. House prices will go up locally. Make Ipswich and surrounding areas economically better.

As long as house prices go up and you can get where you're going 20 minutes quicker thats the main thing, eh.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:06 - Aug 14 with 4131 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:02 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

As long as house prices go up and you can get where you're going 20 minutes quicker thats the main thing, eh.

Cutting journey times by 20+ mins sounds like bloody good justification for a new road!

There doesn't seem to be much EVIDENCE that it will 'ruin' the countryside. Yes it will impact on the existing landscape, but will it destroy the countryside? Doubtful.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:06 - Aug 14 with 4133 viewsSitfcB

Build it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:12 - Aug 14 with 4115 viewsClapham_Junction

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:01 - Aug 14 by Chondzoresk

Why on earth is house prices going up a good thing? I can't see that people having to spend more of their income on mortgage repayments rather than on local goods and services will lead to much economic improvement.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024