Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass 11:20 - Aug 14 with 23011 viewsmos

Hi all,

If you live in the Ipswich area, you may have heard or even seen the recent developments that have been ripping through our beautiful countrysides. The Ipswich Northern Bypass has been proposed and is presumably in construction, if any of you have seen it, it’s a horrific sight and will devastate our natural countryside that makes Suffolk such a lovely county to reside in.

From the above, 3 routes have been proposed, which are all unnecessary and rip into our great countryside.

This clearly should be discussed, but if you care for the region’s natural landscape and protection of its greenery then the matter needs to be brought to attention. Therefore I strongly urge you to campaign to stop the bypass through signing the petition which can be found on the ‘Stop The Ipswich Northern Bypass’ website, which I will link below.

Thank you.

https://stopipswichnorthernbypass.co.uk

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 19:19 - Aug 14 with 2947 viewsTrequartista

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:38 - Aug 14 by GeoffSentence

As we all know it won't do that. Building new roads generates more traffic. The consequence of building a northern bypass will be more development north of Ipswich with more traffic as a result.

Also it won't do diddly squat for traffic in Ipswich, most of the traffic in Ipswich is from one part of Ipswich to another, which could be easily be reduced if people could be prepared to cycle or walk instead.

The main traffic flow at peak times along London Rd/Yarmouth Rd/Chevallier St/Valley Rd/Henley Rd/Colchester Rd/Heath Rd is completely full. It now takes at least twice as long to travel along those roads than rat-run through the adjacent villages which is totally unacceptable, not least for the village residents. These cars are travelling into and out of Ipswich to work, they can't cycle or walk.

The 2 outer routes are no good, they are too far away, the inner route will instantly solve the issue as traffic on the aforementioned roads can peel off to the specific junction they require

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 19:42 - Aug 14 with 2931 viewsbluejacko

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:17 - Aug 14 by mos

I’m in my teens, so don’t have a clue. And this is a differenent scenario, at a different time, with a new outlook on the world’s health from 30 years ago.

It is completely irrelevant therefore.

Moss I can only assume that you have been at school or similar when the bridge has been closed.
It takes anywhere between 2to3 hrs to get from the A14 to the docks! A good bit longer for through traffic. It is gridlock throughout the town! Now that is pollution.
Don’t forget the miles of queues on the A12/A14 leading towards Ipswich as well!
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 19:58]
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 19:46 - Aug 14 with 2928 viewsPinewoodblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 17:57 - Aug 14 by mos

In ten years time when you wish to enjoy a day out in Suffolk’s lovely countryside, you won’t be able to.

In ten years time you will bemoan the scarily hot summers due to climate change.

My wife is a quadriplegic and wheelchair bound she would love to enjoy a day out in the Suffolk countryside but sadly it isn't practicable.

Climate change is a challenge that has to be faced. While the average temperature is rising this doesn't mean we will have scarily hot summers. There was a new all time high last month but it only just beat the previous record set 13 years ago. We are more likely to see higher rainfall in future which, in East Anglia at least, wouldn't be a bad thing.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 19:56 - Aug 14 with 2910 viewsBlue_Moses

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:29 - Aug 14 by Fixed_It

From a selfish point of view ir'll make my trips home a lot easier.

I'm with you on that one, I'm inconvenienced by us not having one on a daily basis.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:02 - Aug 14 with 2897 viewsbournemouthblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 19:19 - Aug 14 by Trequartista

The main traffic flow at peak times along London Rd/Yarmouth Rd/Chevallier St/Valley Rd/Henley Rd/Colchester Rd/Heath Rd is completely full. It now takes at least twice as long to travel along those roads than rat-run through the adjacent villages which is totally unacceptable, not least for the village residents. These cars are travelling into and out of Ipswich to work, they can't cycle or walk.

The 2 outer routes are no good, they are too far away, the inner route will instantly solve the issue as traffic on the aforementioned roads can peel off to the specific junction they require

The most serious consequence of the Bridge closure is actually the threat to emergency services, particularly ambulances making it to Ipswich hospital

Obviously the supposed beauty of Westerfield is more important than people's lives

As people say, the environmental and even noise concerns are flimsy given pollution and noise will drop significantly with electric cars progressing over the next 50 years

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:08 - Aug 14 with 2894 viewsMugwump

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:38 - Aug 14 by mos

I think the concern raised here isn’t just by those who will be disturbed by the noise created by these big blundering roads and from the locals, like you think. But infact from anyone who can visualise the daftness and destruction of the proposed plans, from those that care for our environment and from those that are happy to spend extra time in traffic if it means that we don’t have to blast holes through our countryside.

If you fly over the UK you will see mainly fields. You need to look at roads that link as a positive thing, if you were campaigning on the building of new towns like Milton Keynes etc then you would have a point. This though is a link and even if the bridge is working correctly you still need it, it should have been done years ago but instead Ipswich is wilting.

We have a growing population and need better infrastructure, we also need to get goods and people from A to B. The unnecessary miles being driven by vehicles in order to go out of their way in order to go over the bridge is ridiculous. We have the biggest container port on our doorstep with a road system not fit for purpose even with a functioning bridge.

Not only do we need a proper northern bypass (100% dual carriageway) we also need an M12 and a full dual carriageway to Norwich - and arguably Gt Yarmouth.

I drive about a fair bit around the country and I’m amazed at how Suffolk seems to have been left behind***
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:19 - Aug 14 with 2878 viewsMugwump

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:38 - Aug 14 by mos

I think the concern raised here isn’t just by those who will be disturbed by the noise created by these big blundering roads and from the locals, like you think. But infact from anyone who can visualise the daftness and destruction of the proposed plans, from those that care for our environment and from those that are happy to spend extra time in traffic if it means that we don’t have to blast holes through our countryside.

Extra time in traffic = more pollution.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:29 - Aug 14 with 2868 viewsPinewoodblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:02 - Aug 14 by bournemouthblue

The most serious consequence of the Bridge closure is actually the threat to emergency services, particularly ambulances making it to Ipswich hospital

Obviously the supposed beauty of Westerfield is more important than people's lives

As people say, the environmental and even noise concerns are flimsy given pollution and noise will drop significantly with electric cars progressing over the next 50 years

There is significant pollution from the construction of new roads but once completed, with a vegetation corridor either side they will, in the future be carbon neutral.

There are drawbacks, increased development around a new road, and the stretch of the existing A12 from the Park & ride to A14 junction is likely to become congested but overall the northern route is necessary.

Anyone remember the good old days when you had to drive through Claydon, Stowmarket, Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket to get to Cambridge. A much more pleasant and environmentally friendly journey now.

2023 year of destiny

Login to get fewer ads

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:32 - Aug 14 with 2866 viewsDubtractor

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:02 - Aug 14 by bournemouthblue

"As people say, the environmental and even noise concerns are flimsy given pollution and noise will drop significantly with electric cars progressing over the next 50 years"

That's just bonkers. You are as blindly biased towards the road as Mos is against it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:38 - Aug 14 with 2855 viewsjeera

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:19 - Aug 14 by Mugwump

Extra time in traffic = more pollution.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass by jeera 14 Aug 2019 12:06
Although extra time in traffic = more fumes of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:53 - Aug 14 with 2839 viewsBlue_Moses

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:38 - Aug 14 by GeoffSentence

As we all know it won't do that. Building new roads generates more traffic. The consequence of building a northern bypass will be more development north of Ipswich with more traffic as a result.

Also it won't do diddly squat for traffic in Ipswich, most of the traffic in Ipswich is from one part of Ipswich to another, which could be easily be reduced if people could be prepared to cycle or walk instead.

Not if you live on the outskirts of North-East Ipswich it's not. I've lived just off Henley road as it enters Ipswich for the past 37 years (driving for 21 of those), no way is the traffic queued up on Henley Road, Dales Road and the North ends of Norwich and Bramford Road caused by people who live in the few roads further from the town centre than me.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:23 - Aug 14 with 2814 viewsGeoffSentence

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:53 - Aug 14 by Blue_Moses

Not if you live on the outskirts of North-East Ipswich it's not. I've lived just off Henley road as it enters Ipswich for the past 37 years (driving for 21 of those), no way is the traffic queued up on Henley Road, Dales Road and the North ends of Norwich and Bramford Road caused by people who live in the few roads further from the town centre than me.

I didn't say all of it, but most of the traffic in any Town is point to point within the Town. An awful lot of journeys are short ones that could easily be made on foot or cycle. If those that could did get out of their cars then the roads would be emptied and the folks who have longer journeys wouldn't be stuck in queues.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:47 - Aug 14 with 2801 viewsPinewoodblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:53 - Aug 14 by Blue_Moses

Not sure why you include Norwich road with its direct link to A14. A northern by pass if anything might increase traffic on Henley road unless of course you campaigned for there to be no direct access from Henley road to the new road.

2023 year of destiny

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:52 - Aug 14 with 2797 viewsMugwump

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:23 - Aug 14 by GeoffSentence

I didn't say all of it, but most of the traffic in any Town is point to point within the Town. An awful lot of journeys are short ones that could easily be made on foot or cycle. If those that could did get out of their cars then the roads would be emptied and the folks who have longer journeys wouldn't be stuck in queues.

I’m not sure about this foot or cycle thing. Most people have lots of stuff to take to work and or have to take loads home - or might be told to go and see mr x in Bramford. I would imagine that most people who could get a bus probably do already.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:03 - Aug 14 with 2789 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 20:32 - Aug 14 by Dubtractor

"As people say, the environmental and even noise concerns are flimsy given pollution and noise will drop significantly with electric cars progressing over the next 50 years"

That's just bonkers. You are as blindly biased towards the road as Mos is against it.

Bit unfair, I’ve acknowledged and appreciated reasons for the road.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:06 - Aug 14 with 2779 viewsTrequartista

Well absolutely. The nimbys trot out the argument that the bridge is only closed 2 or 3 days a year, but there are multiple reasons why a new road is desperately needed.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:07 - Aug 14 with 2779 viewsGeoffSentence

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:52 - Aug 14 by Mugwump

I’m not sure about this foot or cycle thing. Most people have lots of stuff to take to work and or have to take loads home - or might be told to go and see mr x in Bramford. I would imagine that most people who could get a bus probably do already.

Not sure why people can't grasp the idea that I am not suggesting this for everyone. Yes, people with lots of stuff will have difficulties cycling or walking to work, I get that. In Geoff's world those people will be able to apply for a permit to drive.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:13 - Aug 14 with 2772 viewsMugwump

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:03 - Aug 14 by mos

Bit unfair, I’ve acknowledged and appreciated reasons for the road.

But he makes a very good point. If we were to build the relief road then by the time it’s finished I guess we would be looking at a massive switch to electric cars. Move on a few years and it’s almost undeniable that we would be 50% electric at least.

So by that conclusion where is the argument - unless it’s because the bulldozers will harm your view.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:59 - Aug 14 with 2745 viewsClapham_Junction

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:13 - Aug 14 by Mugwump

But he makes a very good point. If we were to build the relief road then by the time it’s finished I guess we would be looking at a massive switch to electric cars. Move on a few years and it’s almost undeniable that we would be 50% electric at least.

So by that conclusion where is the argument - unless it’s because the bulldozers will harm your view.

Even if all the traffic on the new road was emission-free, having a new road still has a significant environmental impact at the point it is built and then for future maintenance like resurfacing, both in terms of the materials needed (and the related supply chain) and the energy used in the construction process.

If it also encourages more car use, more cars equals more resource use.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 23:04 - Aug 14 with 2735 viewsKesgrave_Exile

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:13 - Aug 14 by Mugwump

Things to consider:

* All three routes will be single carriageway only
* Why do people assume that if a new road is built it will lead to more traffic.
* I personally think we should consider both a northern bypass as well as windbreaking improvements to the bridge so lorry's can still use the bridge at high winds.

In summary a pragmatic yet sympathetic approach is needed
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 07:11 - Aug 15 with 2667 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:52 - Aug 14 by Mugwump

‘I imagine that most people who could get a bus probably do so already’

Haha, and indeed ROFL

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 07:45 - Aug 15 with 2658 viewsPinewoodblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 23:04 - Aug 14 by Kesgrave_Exile

Things to consider:

* Why do people assume that if a new road is built it will lead to more traffic.
* I personally think we should consider both a northern bypass as well as windbreaking improvements to the bridge so lorry's can still use the bridge at high winds.

Most closures are incident,rather than weather, related.

2023 year of destiny

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:13 - Aug 15 with 2653 viewsdissboy2

i'm sure there's a stat somewhere saying more roads means more car production which means more fossil fuels used so more environmentel damage.But prolly another stat saying traffic jams means just as much CO2 produced that way too, so its a tricky one!
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 8:16]
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 09:24 - Aug 15 with 2614 viewsbrazil1982

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 23:04 - Aug 14 by Kesgrave_Exile

Things to consider:

That's terrible foresight - should be dual at the very least.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 10:06 - Aug 15 with 2585 viewsHeathlander

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:06 - Aug 14 by Trequartista

Well absolutely. The nimbys trot out the argument that the bridge is only closed 2 or 3 days a year, but there are multiple reasons why a new road is desperately needed.

Why do people have to resort to insults like NIMBY, Remoaner etc when they hold an opposite view? It doesn't help the argument if you just insult the people who are just as passionate about the issue as yourself but from a different angle.

MOS must live in the area so it will be something he is deeply concerned about. Village life is something that people love, grow up with and is something worth fighting for. I'm not coming down on either side but hate the way it so quickly turns into insult hurling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024