Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass 11:20 - Aug 14 with 23018 viewsmos

Hi all,

If you live in the Ipswich area, you may have heard or even seen the recent developments that have been ripping through our beautiful countrysides. The Ipswich Northern Bypass has been proposed and is presumably in construction, if any of you have seen it, it’s a horrific sight and will devastate our natural countryside that makes Suffolk such a lovely county to reside in.

From the above, 3 routes have been proposed, which are all unnecessary and rip into our great countryside.

This clearly should be discussed, but if you care for the region’s natural landscape and protection of its greenery then the matter needs to be brought to attention. Therefore I strongly urge you to campaign to stop the bypass through signing the petition which can be found on the ‘Stop The Ipswich Northern Bypass’ website, which I will link below.

Thank you.

https://stopipswichnorthernbypass.co.uk

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 10:12 - Aug 15 with 2245 viewsGeoffSentence

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 09:24 - Aug 15 by brazil1982

That's terrible foresight - should be dual at the very least.

I am opposed to the Northern By-Pass, BUT if they did build it I would want them to do a proper job that would mean it didn't mean it didn't need upgrading at some point in the near future. Doing these things on the cheap inevitably results in them having to be redone t some point in the not so distant future. The Catthorpe Interchange on the A14 and the work going on round Cambridge at the moment are prime examples. They should have done a proper job in the first place.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 10:46 - Aug 15 with 2209 viewsChiefXL

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:50 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

Isn't it the only realistic way Felixstowe can compete with Thames Gateway? They need a route to get the goods up to the midlands and beyond as the southern market is disappearing.

Happy to be corrected on the above, commercial transport is by no means my expertise.

SB

Yes
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:03 - Aug 15 with 2177 viewsReuser_is_God

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:47 - Aug 14 by mos

Some people care about the world we live in.

We’re not all arrogant.

Virgin.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:21 - Aug 15 with 2152 viewsgiant_stow

Nothing to do with me but just to back up the point that a new road brings more traffic: since elveden has been dueled /bypassed, there are new jams and pinch points popping up all the way back to London (junction with the m25/m11 always seems screwed now, as does one of the Thetford roundabouts)
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 12:27]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:51 - Aug 15 with 2125 viewsKesgrave_Exile

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 09:24 - Aug 15 by brazil1982

That's terrible foresight - should be dual at the very least.

Well I feel this key point is being hidden as to me it's either dual carriageway or nothing.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:16 - Aug 15 with 2072 viewsTrequartista

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 10:06 - Aug 15 by Heathlander

Why do people have to resort to insults like NIMBY, Remoaner etc when they hold an opposite view? It doesn't help the argument if you just insult the people who are just as passionate about the issue as yourself but from a different angle.

MOS must live in the area so it will be something he is deeply concerned about. Village life is something that people love, grow up with and is something worth fighting for. I'm not coming down on either side but hate the way it so quickly turns into insult hurling.

I used nimby as a description rather than an insult - it's just much quicker to write "nimby" than "someone who is opposed to a scheme purely because it's geographical presence conflicts with their geographical presence". There may one day be circumstances where i'm a nimby.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:20 - Aug 15 with 2070 viewsTrequartista

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 10:12 - Aug 15 by GeoffSentence

I am opposed to the Northern By-Pass, BUT if they did build it I would want them to do a proper job that would mean it didn't mean it didn't need upgrading at some point in the near future. Doing these things on the cheap inevitably results in them having to be redone t some point in the not so distant future. The Catthorpe Interchange on the A14 and the work going on round Cambridge at the moment are prime examples. They should have done a proper job in the first place.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

In favour of the bypass but agree with these comments. That Catthorpe Interchange was so bad it had to be seen to be believed although admittedly they have made an excellent job of fixing it.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:28 - Oct 10 with 1818 viewsbarhea

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:29 - Aug 14 by 26_Paz

Ipswich is desperate for a Northern bypass and has been for some time. Traffic in the town is dreadful. This NIMBY attitude is standing in the way of progress for our town and county.

Absolutely agree. I'm fed up with all the STOP BYPASS posters and maps on gates and fences when I walk my dog. I love the countryside but unfortunately, if the population keeps rising and more families gain more cars (which is certainly the trend) then we are forever going to have more and more traffic on our already congested roads. I'm afraid this is progress, folks. I dare say every county in the country has had countryside dug up. I'm in favour of the middle option. It seems the least invasive of the three.
Login to get fewer ads

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:41 - Oct 10 with 1806 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can remmeber when they extended the A14 (née A45) past Cambridge and then built the southern bypass. The northern bypass has been on the cards for almost as long. It will happen one day I expect.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:26 - Oct 10 with 1797 viewsbournemouthblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:07 - Aug 14 by GeoffSentence

Not sure why people can't grasp the idea that I am not suggesting this for everyone. Yes, people with lots of stuff will have difficulties cycling or walking to work, I get that. In Geoff's world those people will be able to apply for a permit to drive.

I'm all for more green solutions, walking and cycling are great for shorter journeys but we would need to make a huge culture change nationally

Incentives to do this, really need to start at government level

Better infrastruture, more shower and changing facilities at work, more education perhaps even a cycling licence etc, it could all be done. They could even have incentives to encourage it.

Freight traffic is always going to require the infrastructure to handle it or the business will move elsewhere

Ipswich is a fast growing Town but it must be offered the infrastructure to take it forward or it will simply stagnate and decline

The transport system is a real mess, you only have to have one set of temporary traffic lights and you get gridlock. The system is so flimsy, it desperately needs extra capacity or we will creek well and truly to a halt.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:51 - Oct 10 with 1772 viewsMugwump

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:26 - Oct 10 by bournemouthblue

I'm all for more green solutions, walking and cycling are great for shorter journeys but we would need to make a huge culture change nationally

Incentives to do this, really need to start at government level

Better infrastruture, more shower and changing facilities at work, more education perhaps even a cycling licence etc, it could all be done. They could even have incentives to encourage it.

Freight traffic is always going to require the infrastructure to handle it or the business will move elsewhere

Ipswich is a fast growing Town but it must be offered the infrastructure to take it forward or it will simply stagnate and decline

The transport system is a real mess, you only have to have one set of temporary traffic lights and you get gridlock. The system is so flimsy, it desperately needs extra capacity or we will creek well and truly to a halt.

It’s ridiculous.

The only reason not to build is put forward by people who own large property’s near the route (and naturally if I were in their shoes I would be against it) but it is long past due and the lack of it is stifling the town. Build it now.

If I lived anywhere if I would say it’s a bad idea.

The whole debate is obvious.

To be fair it should have been done 20 years ago.

Let’s hope Gretna Green from Sweden is isn’t watching otherwise her mum might tell us off.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 23:48 - Oct 10 with 1753 viewsTrequartista

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 21:41 - Oct 10 by Swansea_Blue

I can remmeber when they extended the A14 (née A45) past Cambridge and then built the southern bypass. The northern bypass has been on the cards for almost as long. It will happen one day I expect.

I don't think they extended it past Cambridge, they just rebadged the A604?

To those having a pop at the OP... on 00:57 - Oct 11 with 1736 viewsIPS_wich

I read with huge interest that the OP is a teenager and then saw a few people making comments about him/her being at school, not knowing what it's like to sit in traffic, or 'wait until your older...' etc. That or comments about Nimbyism

I'm 45 and have a 15 year old son and the thing many of you may not realise yet is that this next generation (the Gen Z or 'iGen' generation - i.e. those born since 2001 and post 9/11) have a very very different outlook to the Millennials that have preceded them.

They are sooo much more environmentally and socially conscious, much less obsessed with social media and frankly pretty pi$$ed off with the world that the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are leaving behind. Greta Thunberg may be the vocal personality who is getting a lot of media exposure - but she is very typical of this next wave of young adults we will see emerge in the 2020s.

If I reflect upon a lot of my 15 year old's comments and attitudes (and those of his friends), I am hugely grateful that the selfish traits of the millennial generation appear to be generally absent...BUT...like most teenagers (and we were all like this when we were this age) there is a degree of naivety in many things they say. In fact, when you just read the thread from start to finish the OP has already shifted from this being a single issue post, to acknowledging there is a lot more nuance - and I think that is a pretty mature response.

Anyway, my two cents. The road is critical, but any project like this should have a clear carbon/pollution off set plan and a clear plan to manage the visual impact and any environmental 'damage'.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 01:32 - Oct 11 with 1725 viewsSpruceMoose

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:03 - Aug 15 by Reuser_is_God

Virgin.

That insult is best saved for the TWTD Junior forum!
[Post edited 11 Oct 2019 1:51]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:28 - Oct 11 with 1654 viewsBackToRussia

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 22:51 - Oct 10 by Mugwump

It’s ridiculous.

The only reason not to build is put forward by people who own large property’s near the route (and naturally if I were in their shoes I would be against it) but it is long past due and the lack of it is stifling the town. Build it now.

If I lived anywhere if I would say it’s a bad idea.

The whole debate is obvious.

To be fair it should have been done 20 years ago.

Let’s hope Gretna Green from Sweden is isn’t watching otherwise her mum might tell us off.

There are lots of non Nimby arguments actually. The main one being that it won't actually relieve traffic congestion, and will create many thousands more journeys.

You do realise that they are going to build thousands maybe tens of thousands, new houses along this road? So they'll all be using that road as well as making journeys into Ipswich.

They are cutting the bus services at the same time as they try to push thru a new road.

Maybe try things that push people into public transport first rather than building a new road. Similarly look for engineering solutions that keep the Orwell bridge open rather than build a new road for the week it's shut each year.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:30 - Oct 11 with 1649 viewsStokieBlue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:28 - Oct 11 by BackToRussia

There are lots of non Nimby arguments actually. The main one being that it won't actually relieve traffic congestion, and will create many thousands more journeys.

You do realise that they are going to build thousands maybe tens of thousands, new houses along this road? So they'll all be using that road as well as making journeys into Ipswich.

They are cutting the bus services at the same time as they try to push thru a new road.

Maybe try things that push people into public transport first rather than building a new road. Similarly look for engineering solutions that keep the Orwell bridge open rather than build a new road for the week it's shut each year.

The public transport one is a good one. I've not used it for ages in Ipswich but aren't the routes greatly reduced and the fares relatively expensive?

Addressing those issues would make a big difference.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:35 - Oct 11 with 1638 viewsBackToRussia

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:30 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

The public transport one is a good one. I've not used it for ages in Ipswich but aren't the routes greatly reduced and the fares relatively expensive?

SB

It's an utter joke in Ipswich, and it gets worse outside of Ipswich. Kesgrave is fighting for a bus service, and Woodbridge Road east (Ipswich to Kesgrave) gets tailbacks every day.

Even on popular routes they find ways to cut services, like not running them on Sundays or turning them into hourly routes after 6pm

Slowly but surely they make it harder for people to rely on it as a system.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:39 - Oct 11 with 1636 viewsStokieBlue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:35 - Oct 11 by BackToRussia

It's an utter joke in Ipswich, and it gets worse outside of Ipswich. Kesgrave is fighting for a bus service, and Woodbridge Road east (Ipswich to Kesgrave) gets tailbacks every day.

Even on popular routes they find ways to cut services, like not running them on Sundays or turning them into hourly routes after 6pm

Nationalised bus company maybe?

Not seen it on Labours manifesto but if the buses were made in the UK and all run on electric or hydrogen it would both create jobs and reduce emissions.

Something like that really needs to be run as not for profit.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:41 - Oct 11 with 1632 viewsitfcjoe

And yet all the Travel Ipswich scheme seemed to do was make driving into Ipswich harder, to try and push people into public transport, which in turn is worse and worse and more expensive.

I'm fortunate that I live on the 66 route which is one of the better bus services, but even that used to run all night and now stops which isn't good if your train gets in late etc as means taxi

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:43 - Oct 11 with 1625 viewsBackToRussia

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:39 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

Nationalised bus company maybe?

Not seen it on Labours manifesto but if the buses were made in the UK and all run on electric or hydrogen it would both create jobs and reduce emissions.

Something like that really needs to be run as not for profit.

SB

You've got my vote Stokie! Excellent idea and would be hugely for it. Appeal would run across lots of demographics too.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

To those having a pop at the OP... on 08:52 - Oct 11 with 1617 viewschicoazul

To those having a pop at the OP... on 00:57 - Oct 11 by IPS_wich

I read with huge interest that the OP is a teenager and then saw a few people making comments about him/her being at school, not knowing what it's like to sit in traffic, or 'wait until your older...' etc. That or comments about Nimbyism

I'm 45 and have a 15 year old son and the thing many of you may not realise yet is that this next generation (the Gen Z or 'iGen' generation - i.e. those born since 2001 and post 9/11) have a very very different outlook to the Millennials that have preceded them.

They are sooo much more environmentally and socially conscious, much less obsessed with social media and frankly pretty pi$$ed off with the world that the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are leaving behind. Greta Thunberg may be the vocal personality who is getting a lot of media exposure - but she is very typical of this next wave of young adults we will see emerge in the 2020s.

If I reflect upon a lot of my 15 year old's comments and attitudes (and those of his friends), I am hugely grateful that the selfish traits of the millennial generation appear to be generally absent...BUT...like most teenagers (and we were all like this when we were this age) there is a degree of naivety in many things they say. In fact, when you just read the thread from start to finish the OP has already shifted from this being a single issue post, to acknowledging there is a lot more nuance - and I think that is a pretty mature response.

Anyway, my two cents. The road is critical, but any project like this should have a clear carbon/pollution off set plan and a clear plan to manage the visual impact and any environmental 'damage'.

"any project like this should have a clear carbon/pollution off set plan and a clear plan to manage the visual impact and any environmental 'damage'."

You;re right, it should, but it won't. It'll be lip service at best. There is literally no way in the world to off set carbon emissions created by building new roads, new roads do not magically create less pollution, this has never ever happened and never will.
The only thing that will create less pollution is people, you and I and everyone reading this, polluting less. One of the ways to get people polluting less is to discourage car use and invest super-heavily in rail buses and trams that go where people need them to go, at the time people need them to go at, in a pleasant way.
Building new roads is totally mad.
I agree with pretty much all your other comments about the new wave of environmentally-conscious young people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

To those having a pop at the OP... on 09:18 - Oct 11 with 1603 viewsNthQldITFC

To those having a pop at the OP... on 08:52 - Oct 11 by chicoazul

"any project like this should have a clear carbon/pollution off set plan and a clear plan to manage the visual impact and any environmental 'damage'."

You;re right, it should, but it won't. It'll be lip service at best. There is literally no way in the world to off set carbon emissions created by building new roads, new roads do not magically create less pollution, this has never ever happened and never will.
The only thing that will create less pollution is people, you and I and everyone reading this, polluting less. One of the ways to get people polluting less is to discourage car use and invest super-heavily in rail buses and trams that go where people need them to go, at the time people need them to go at, in a pleasant way.
Building new roads is totally mad.
I agree with pretty much all your other comments about the new wave of environmentally-conscious young people.

Absolutely, and you have to start somewhere, so saying that this issue doesn't matter because its so small compared with other bigger issues, is frankly a moronic cop out.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 09:26 - Oct 11 with 1592 viewsbluelagos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 23:48 - Oct 10 by Trequartista

I don't think they extended it past Cambridge, they just rebadged the A604?

Past Huntingdon was new road. First 10 miles or so was as you describe.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 09:32 - Oct 11 with 1587 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s chicken and egg in that services will have been cut as they were barely being used, but by cutting services the usage will in turn drop

As you note what really needs to happen is a concerted effort by the council to promote services - more buses running, cheaper fares etc, even if it means running a loss in the short term. Unfortunately that isn’t likely to happen - and it’s difficult to blame the council really given how stretched budgets already are

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 09:34 - Oct 11 with 1581 viewsbluelagos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 08:30 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

SB

They are indeed being cut. Where I live we are moving from an hourly bus to one every 2 hours. There is no service after 6pm or on a Sunday. And there is no footpath to the station (3 miles) and no safe road to cycle meaning many commuters use second cars that could be easily avoided.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024