Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass 11:20 - Aug 14 with 23010 viewsmos

Hi all,

If you live in the Ipswich area, you may have heard or even seen the recent developments that have been ripping through our beautiful countrysides. The Ipswich Northern Bypass has been proposed and is presumably in construction, if any of you have seen it, it’s a horrific sight and will devastate our natural countryside that makes Suffolk such a lovely county to reside in.

From the above, 3 routes have been proposed, which are all unnecessary and rip into our great countryside.

This clearly should be discussed, but if you care for the region’s natural landscape and protection of its greenery then the matter needs to be brought to attention. Therefore I strongly urge you to campaign to stop the bypass through signing the petition which can be found on the ‘Stop The Ipswich Northern Bypass’ website, which I will link below.

Thank you.

https://stopipswichnorthernbypass.co.uk

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 14:35 - Aug 14 with 3269 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:47 - Aug 14 by GeoffSentence

I suspect that Mos has mistaken the temporary road that has been built for the work on the power lines for the wind farm and taken that as the beginning of construction for a permanent road, as it does look like that.

Forgive me if I have got that wrong Mos.

I was thinking the same

Bl**dy Scottish Power, would never have happened if we’d just let them separate

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

IMPORTANT - Ipswich needs a Northern Bypass on 14:38 - Aug 14 with 3268 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Ipswich needs a Northern Bypass on 14:35 - Aug 14 by Trequartista

There have been no new roads since the 80s and thousands of new homes, the roads can't cope. Can you imagine what it would be like now if we didn't build the bypass in the 80s? It's only the missing link from the existing ring road anyway.

Lots of women work nowadays compared to years ago, so most famililes are 2 car families now. It will peak because you are unlikely to get 3 car families, so probably no need for further roads.

Youre right. Neoliberalism has a lot to answer for.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 14:42 - Aug 14 with 3266 viewsitfcjoe

Not being funny, but aren't you still at school? And therefore not someone who regularly has to drive themselves around the county and can see how bad the roads can be?

There is always the worry that this is just a way of building new houses in certain areas - but I'm generally of the impression that investment brings investment and bringing more money into the town and surrounding areas is generally a good thing for all the benefits it brings.

The talk of 'lets spend this billion' elsewhere is pie in the sky thinking, if you don't spend it here it wont be given to us and will go elsewhere in the country - like the money for the bridge scheme at the docks which will now be gone from the town forever.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 14:47 - Aug 14 with 3252 viewsBluespeed225

Build it now, and right through the middle of Lord Debens back garden. Would have built in the early 90's if it wasn't for him. If the people of these village never used our facilites I could understand their argument. Ipswich Hospital any use to the people of Witnesham or Culpho, or Woodbridge? Try getting there in a hurry when the developments around BT are built.
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 14:50 - Aug 14 with 3244 viewsitfcjoe

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:29 - Aug 14 by mos

Read the thread.

However, because you clearly haven’t, I’ll put it simply.

I don’t think building the road is a good idea, therefore it is a bad idea. I want the bad idea to not take place.

There’s no expectation for a ‘viable alternative’, other than not building the road. That is the alternative.

You say going against the road is against tourism, however Suffolk’s USP is its countryside, building all 3 roads would absolutely decimate the countryside and therefore reduce tourism, because of your mindless plans.

I'd argue with the point that Suffolk's USP is it's countryside - the areas considered for this road aren't areas that attract visitors - around Ipswich it is the town centre, and coastal areas. If it was going throuigh Constable country or through the old woolen towns I'd agree but it isn't.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:14 - Aug 14 with 3199 viewsFather_Jack

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:45 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

What economical benefits?

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/40-reasons-for-ipswich-northern-bypass-1-6150

You're welcome.

Less is more.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:21 - Aug 14 with 3188 viewsPinewoodblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 14:50 - Aug 14 by itfcjoe

I'd argue with the point that Suffolk's USP is it's countryside - the areas considered for this road aren't areas that attract visitors - around Ipswich it is the town centre, and coastal areas. If it was going throuigh Constable country or through the old woolen towns I'd agree but it isn't.

In ten years time when the OP wants to become ahomeowner he will bemoan the lack of available housing..

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:27 - Aug 14 with 3175 viewsGeoffSentence

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:21 - Aug 14 by Pinewoodblue

In ten years time when the OP wants to become ahomeowner he will bemoan the lack of available housing..

That's twice in this thread that you have told us what the OP has or will think. I would say that is very presumptuous.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:32 - Aug 14 with 3167 viewschicoazul

The lack of available is housing is due, in very large part, to Baby Boomers selfishly hoarding properties they no longer need. 80% of privately owned houses have spare bedrooms. the idea we need to build more homes is fatuous stupid and short sighted, as with so many things Baby Boomers have and continue to inflict upon us all.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:33 - Aug 14 with 3163 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:14 - Aug 14 by Father_Jack

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/40-reasons-for-ipswich-northern-bypass-1-6150

You're welcome.

Thanks, I will read it shortly.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:33 - Aug 14 with 3119 viewsbaxterbasics

Won't be signing. We've needed the bypass for two decades.

It wont devastate the countryside or destroy the environment.

It doesn't mean more cars suddenly appear, but cars that already exist get to make shorter journeys, and congestion gets reduced, as do emissions.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:37 - Aug 14 with 3106 viewsbaxterbasics

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 15:32 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

The lack of available is housing is due, in very large part, to Baby Boomers selfishly hoarding properties they no longer need. 80% of privately owned houses have spare bedrooms. the idea we need to build more homes is fatuous stupid and short sighted, as with so many things Baby Boomers have and continue to inflict upon us all.

Right so are you suggesting people get forced out of their homes if they have more space than they need? Or just forced to take lodgers?

We need more houses, or less people.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:49 - Aug 14 with 3087 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:37 - Aug 14 by baxterbasics

Right so are you suggesting people get forced out of their homes if they have more space than they need? Or just forced to take lodgers?

We need more houses, or less people.

We can cope perfectly well without either if we figure out a way to incentivise people who dont need 2 or 3 spare bedrooms to leave those homes for something smaller, freeing up stock for families who do need those bedrooms.
I don't advocate state seizure of people's homes but I think a good case could be made for seizing a holiday home in Aldeburgh that stays empty 11 months of the year.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:53 - Aug 14 with 3089 viewschicoazul

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:33 - Aug 14 by baxterbasics

It doesn't mean more cars suddenly appear, but cars that already exist get to make shorter journeys, and congestion gets reduced, as do emissions.

Complete nonsense. Congestion and emissions are not reduced by building more roads. Roads do not reduce car numbers.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 17:08 - Aug 14 with 3069 viewsClapham_Junction

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 16:33 - Aug 14 by baxterbasics

It does mean more cars will appear. Look at the link I posted earlier in the thread, or this: https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/09/citylab-university-induced-demand
IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 17:47 - Aug 14 with 3040 viewsblaggers

For a town of its size, Ipswich needs a proper bypass. Traffic in the town is dreadful, and was recently cited as one of the most negative aspects of living in the town.

Poll: What happens next?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 17:53 - Aug 14 with 3032 viewsmos

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 13:47 - Aug 14 by GeoffSentence

I suspect that Mos has mistaken the temporary road that has been built for the work on the power lines for the wind farm and taken that as the beginning of construction for a permanent road, as it does look like that.

Forgive me if I have got that wrong Mos.

I think you’re spot on.

I presumed those were the beginnings of the road constructions.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 17:57 - Aug 14 with 3027 viewsmos

In ten years time when you wish to enjoy a day out in Suffolk’s lovely countryside, you won’t be able to.

In ten years time you will bemoan the scarily hot summers due to climate change.

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:10 - Aug 14 with 3005 viewsJ2BLUE

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 17:57 - Aug 14 by mos

In ten years time when you wish to enjoy a day out in Suffolk’s lovely countryside, you won’t be able to.

In ten years time you will bemoan the scarily hot summers due to climate change.

There are compromises. It doesn't have to be a black and white issue.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:10 - Aug 14 with 3009 viewsDubtractor

I'm torn on this one tbh.

I live just off Felixstowe Road in town, so every time there is an issue on the A14 (this is much more often than the closures for wind) see first hand just how much it fooks up the traffic in the town. It is beyond doubt that an additional route will dramatically improve traffic and air quality in town.

However, I'm a bit of a hippy at heart, and the idea of piling a new road (this is a local county, for local people) through the countryside jars massively. So does the idea that the answer for too much traffic is always more roads, rather than fewer cars.

Hmmmm.

On balance I think no new road is the answer from me.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:12 - Aug 14 with 3006 viewsEwan_Oozami

Apologies for replying to the OP - I could have replied to any individual post, but doing this makes it a bit less personal, so no slight or offence intended to any poster on this thread. This is quite relevant to me as the outermost and middle routes have a large impact on the village where I live.

The issue with the INR has been around for many years, older posters have mentioned previous failed attempts to get one going - these have failed for various reasons - now, IBC, East Suffolk and SCC see an opportunity to get one built. A few points:

1. There are already a few unofficial INRs joining the A14 to the A12:
a: From the A140 at Earl Stonham via the A1120, to the A12 at Yoxford
b: From the A140 at Coddenham, via the B1078 to the A12 at Wickham Market
c: From the A140 at Coddenham via the B1078 and B1079, via Grundisburgh to Woodbridge
d: From the A14 at Claydon, via Westerfield, Rushmere St Andrew to Martlesham

Many posters may be familiar with these and variations of them. I have only lived here for 20 years (Mrs O can remember what it was like around Ipswich and Woodbridge before the Orwell Bridge) but I would say the traffic volumes on all roads have increased dramatically. The choice we have is to let those volumes in Ipswich and on those unofficial INRs, grow to the point where it is blindly obvious that some sort of relief road is required, or pre-empt those conditions by building early. The longer we leave it, the worse the local traffic will become. Any houses will be built regardless, a new INR just means they'll be built earlier than otherwise.

How many people who live in houses built, say after 1980, are now bemoaning the new developments being constructed? Or who use the Wickham Market bypass, or the Martlesham bypass? There was one person who lives in a brand new development on the edge of our village, who, at one of the consultations, said, and I quote, "If they build the road, then they'll build loads of new houses outside our village, we don't want that." I felt like saying, if only you'd heard the objections made by people to the building of the development you're living in, you might think differently, and then I thought, actually it probably wouldn't make one tiny bit of difference...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:13 - Aug 14 with 2998 viewsbournemouthblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 11:29 - Aug 14 by mos

Yes, there are clearly going to be groups and individuals that would be for the devastation of our wonderful landscape just to save a few minutes on transport for when the Orwell Bridge is closed. Though I am hoping the good minds of TWTD will see how these new roads are more than just a bad idea, and that we can try and do something about it.

'to save a few minutes on transport'

What a patronising viewpoint, when the Bridge is closed it forces all container traffic through Ipswich causing huge disruption to business across the Town and surrounding areas, not to mention all the added pollution of gridlock through central Ipswich

It was quite ironic that I had an Interfirm game of Cricket against Suffolk County Council on a day of a bridge closure which meant a normal 15 minute journey took an hour and a half to get to

All we do by stopping this road is make Ipswich and the surrounding areas less competitive against other areas of the country which aren't handicapped by 20th Century Infrastructure

It's genuinely embarrassing when you have to explain the chaos you get because the bridge is closed to people from other parts of the country

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:16 - Aug 14 with 2993 viewsbournemouthblue

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 12:25 - Aug 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Seems to be a big play on the amount of CO2 that 'more cars' will generate.

By the time its complete, there will be far more electric cars on the road, and that will only increase proportionally.

I think the CO2 argument is a flimsy one.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 12:25]

They will also get quieter in time also

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:23 - Aug 14 with 2976 viewsjaykay

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:13 - Aug 14 by bournemouthblue

'to save a few minutes on transport'

What a patronising viewpoint, when the Bridge is closed it forces all container traffic through Ipswich causing huge disruption to business across the Town and surrounding areas, not to mention all the added pollution of gridlock through central Ipswich

It was quite ironic that I had an Interfirm game of Cricket against Suffolk County Council on a day of a bridge closure which meant a normal 15 minute journey took an hour and a half to get to

All we do by stopping this road is make Ipswich and the surrounding areas less competitive against other areas of the country which aren't handicapped by 20th Century Infrastructure

It's genuinely embarrassing when you have to explain the chaos you get because the bridge is closed to people from other parts of the country

as you say the chaos caused when you have the bridge closed is horrendous .
hope no one thinks of blowing it up

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 19:02 - Aug 14 with 2916 viewsGeoffSentence

IMPORTANT - Stop the Ipswich Northern Bypass on 18:23 - Aug 14 by jaykay

as you say the chaos caused when you have the bridge closed is horrendous .
hope no one thinks of blowing it up

They don't need to, just cut back a bit on maintenance, stop checking it so frequently and it will probably collapse on its own, like the Morandi Bridge in Genoa.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024