Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BA pilots 13:35 - Sep 9 with 3404 viewsSitfcB

Greedy

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

BA pilots on 13:58 - Sep 9 with 1632 viewsRadlett_blue

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 by SpruceMoose

Well maybe, but it's not all that common I believe and anyway the point is, if they needed to fly the plane manually, they could. I don't want to have to rely on cabin crew to rush to the flightdeck to try and fly the plane should the need arise.

Pilots are responsible for many lives (and incredibly expensive equipment). I reckon it's fair enough that if their employer is making record profits then they should be allowed to get their beaks wet.

The airline industry is incredibly cyclical & just because BA is making good money now, it could easily be loss-making in a couple of years. Hence it doesn't want to load itself with fixed costs. Competition from budget airlines remains intense. Senior pilots are very well paid (100 - 200k a year) and I think they're greedy. If they don't like BA's pay, go and get a job at another airline. Once you're a fully qualified, experienced pilot, I don't see why you should get a big raise each year for doing the same job, but that's the way airlines have traditionally worked.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

BA pilots on 14:01 - Sep 9 with 1628 viewsRob88

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 by PrideOfTheEast

I suppose they’re striking outside the main school holiday aren’t they, which if they’re going to strike is about as good as it gets.

I always fly BA but now need to go to Singapore 4x a year starting next month. Got to be honest I’m tempted to switch because the product just isn’t as good as the alternatives.

I am currently waiting in Changi airport for my return flight to Heathrow.

Singapore Airlines are the nuts, and the A380 is an incredible feat of engineering.
BA pilots on 14:02 - Sep 9 with 1625 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 13:57 - Sep 9 by ElderGrizzly

Captains might start to get near £100k+ and some of the senior Captains, with training and other leadership responsibilities get nearer £200k.

Newer BA pilots are on about £35k and have £100k of training debt to pay back.

The issue is they took paycuts and benefit cuts during the bad times, but now the parent group is making near £2bn profit they haven’t seen any return despite being promised that back then.

A few of my pilot friends work for BA and i fully support them.

11.9% is over 3 years, so about 4% a year and doesn’t take into account inflation etc. So maybe about 1.5% a year above inflation. It’s not that much.

The cost of the 3 days of strike action is way more than settling the dispute

I've said they have a fair point and it's good they did it after the school holidays.

As for the 100k figure, that was the average figure stated by BA on the radio this morning on Today.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

BA pilots on 14:03 - Sep 9 with 1619 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 13:57 - Sep 9 by hatch

Landed into Gibraltar last week and boy is that a dicey landing. Not sure I've ever flown closer to the sea.

In a side note, pilots probably do have slightly more justification than train guards who seem to strike at any opportunity at the moment.

You should try Madiera if you want a sketchy landing.

SB

BA pilots on 14:15 - Sep 9 with 1603 viewsfactual_blue

BA pilots on 13:57 - Sep 9 by hatch

Landed into Gibraltar last week and boy is that a dicey landing. Not sure I've ever flown closer to the sea.

In a side note, pilots probably do have slightly more justification than train guards who seem to strike at any opportunity at the moment.

Have you ever flown in from Miami Beach on BOAC?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BA pilots on 14:16 - Sep 9 with 1602 viewsGeoffSentence

BA pilots on 13:46 - Sep 9 by footers

I didn't realise the amount of work they had to do pre, during and after too. Even that alone, with the logs and checks and things, it's still an incredible amount.

With that and all the being away from home/family, it's not a job I'd ever consider!

Even now you know that all they do is press a few buttons and shag the cabin crew?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

BA pilots on 14:17 - Sep 9 with 1602 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 14:15 - Sep 9 by factual_blue

Please tell me you were on a Comet.

SB

BA pilots on 14:18 - Sep 9 with 1599 viewsfooters

BA pilots on 14:16 - Sep 9 by GeoffSentence

Even now you know that all they do is press a few buttons and shag the cabin crew?

Now, now, those humorous take-off and landing announcements don't make themselves.

And of course post-flight they have to pass the guard of honour formed by the American passengers.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

BA pilots on 14:27 - Sep 9 with 1585 viewsMeadowlark

BA pilots on 13:42 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

I guess it's all relative. They said the average was ~100k and it's debatable how much they actually do during a flight nowadays - autopilots do virtually everything (up to 90% of the journey) but of course we still need them to be there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/confessions-of-an-airline-pilot

Either way I think their reasoning is pretty sound - they didn't get anything during the bad times so no issue with asking for something during the good. I don't like that they are affecting peoples holidays though. Shame it couldn't be resolved another way.

SB

Shame it couldn't be resolved by BA you mean? They caused the strike, not the pilots!

I know this view will not be accepted by the majority on this forum............
BA pilots on 14:46 - Sep 9 with 1559 viewsRadlett_blue

BA pilots on 14:03 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Flying there tomorrow. Done it a few times & never been too bad, although they close the airports when there are strong crosswinds.
Wellington was my scariest landing, while the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong was interesting.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

BA pilots on 14:57 - Sep 9 with 1546 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 14:46 - Sep 9 by Radlett_blue

Flying there tomorrow. Done it a few times & never been too bad, although they close the airports when there are strong crosswinds.
Wellington was my scariest landing, while the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong was interesting.

Never did Hong Kong before they moved airports but it always looked a shocker.

Thought Courchevel looked dubious as well.

The dodgiest airline has to be Tropic Airways in Belize. They overbooked the flight so I literally had to sit in the co-pilots seat with this massive pilot next to me telling me not to touch anything! Very enjoyable flight though!

SB

BA pilots on 15:05 - Sep 9 with 1536 viewsNthQldITFC

да
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 15:07]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

BA pilots on 15:10 - Sep 9 with 1533 viewsElderGrizzly

BA pilots on 14:02 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

I've said they have a fair point and it's good they did it after the school holidays.

As for the 100k figure, that was the average figure stated by BA on the radio this morning on Today.

SB

Well BA would say that. Any new pilot is £35kish and they have a huge influx of them on inferior pensions right now

£100k figure will also include allowances and benefits so is a little misleading
BA pilots on 15:14 - Sep 9 with 1520 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 15:10 - Sep 9 by ElderGrizzly

Well BA would say that. Any new pilot is £35kish and they have a huge influx of them on inferior pensions right now

£100k figure will also include allowances and benefits so is a little misleading

Well as I said they said it was an average. It's obviously going to be skewed by higher earners pulling up the number. I've not said otherwise.

I've also said repeatedly that the pilots have a very good point which BA should have been listening to.

SB
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 15:15]

BA pilots on 15:19 - Sep 9 with 1512 viewsAce_High1

As others have said best to avoid BA wherever possible.

Singapore airlines for trips to Singapore/Australia, you can't go wrong.
BA pilots on 15:42 - Sep 9 with 1500 viewsTIB

BA pilots on 13:49 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

BA aren't great. If you are going to Singapore you really should fly Singaporean who are excellent.

Enjoy the hawker centres!

SB

I flew on the A380 with BA to Singapore in March...booked the upstairs in Economy which was decent with the 2x4x2 seat configuration. Not convinced many folk knew there was a smaller upstairs economy cabin as none of the 4 seater rows were filled so I had a nice lie down sleep. Was also nice to be on a new BA jet as a lot of the fleet is old. Flew the Dreamliner back out of KL and wasn't a fan...seemed noisier and less spacious.

Watched something on Chanel 5 last night about BA and it definitely seems they've realised how far behind they've fallen and are now trying to make amends. As much as the inflight service has been poor and the planes a bit tired, I still always look to fly with them.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 15:46]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

BA pilots on 15:57 - Sep 9 with 1476 viewsjaykay

no, but did with pan am

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

BA pilots on 17:57 - Sep 9 with 1438 viewsBLUEBEAT

My brother was a helicopter pilot in the FAA for 22 years and the max he earned was £30K pa

Poll: W or W

BA pilots on 18:00 - Sep 9 with 1433 viewsfactual_blue

BA pilots on 17:57 - Sep 9 by BLUEBEAT

My brother was a helicopter pilot in the FAA for 22 years and the max he earned was £30K pa

Football Association of Andorra?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BA pilots on 18:29 - Sep 9 with 1416 viewsBLUEBEAT

BA pilots on 18:00 - Sep 9 by factual_blue

Football Association of Andorra?

If they had hourly excursions into the Helmand Province, I guess it could be.

Poll: W or W

BA pilots on 19:26 - Sep 9 with 1394 viewsSwansea_Blue

BA pilots on 14:03 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Yeah, alcohol never helps (the pilot).

Lukla is fun, although they’ve made it boring these days by putting a tarmac strip down.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024