Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DUP say no to Brexit deal 07:15 - Oct 17 with 9295 viewsMoriarty

What now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/dup-no-deal-4854806-Oct2019/%3fam

fka omuircheartaigh

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:21 - Oct 17 with 1740 viewsHerbivore

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:20 - Oct 17 by Bluefish

We are the United Kingdom so we are in some respects one country ruled by the same powers.

We live on the island of Great Britain.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:22 - Oct 17 with 1734 viewsHerbivore

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:17 - Oct 17 by Bluefish

You are very unnecessarily abusive. I don't thinking is healthy and I think you need to talk.

Abusive how? I think dumb is a fair description based on your posts on this thread. You claimed an island wasn't an island. That's pretty basic. Most 8 year olds know what an island is.

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:23 - Oct 17 with 1729 viewsfooters

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:20 - Oct 17 by Bluefish

We are the United Kingdom so we are in some respects one country ruled by the same powers.

Best pack up the Welsh assembly and Holyrood then.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:24 - Oct 17 with 1723 viewsBluefish

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:21 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

We live on the island of Great Britain.

I realised that as soon as I posted, considered an edit. My apologies for the error

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:25 - Oct 17 with 1711 viewsBluefish

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:23 - Oct 17 by footers

Best pack up the Welsh assembly and Holyrood then.

They are devolved powers but they are still controlled by Westminster and the Queen. We are still GB

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:26 - Oct 17 with 1701 viewsBluefish

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:22 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Abusive how? I think dumb is a fair description based on your posts on this thread. You claimed an island wasn't an island. That's pretty basic. Most 8 year olds know what an island is.

I asked a question and you got abusive. Maybe it was acceptable in your world, it wasn't in mine.

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:29 - Oct 17 with 1685 viewsDanTheMan

Jumping into bed with the DUP has really worked out swimmingly.

The best bit is, you can't turn around now and blame this on the EU not being willing to compromise, or even Boris for that matter.

Just the DUP being utter arseholes.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:30 - Oct 17 with 1680 viewsHerbivore

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:26 - Oct 17 by Bluefish

I asked a question and you got abusive. Maybe it was acceptable in your world, it wasn't in mine.

Abusive how? I responded to your question with a Wiki on the island of Ireland to help you out. I only referred to you as dumb, accurately not as a term of abuse, when you still didn't seem to get it. If I've upset you then I apologise.

Login to get fewer ads

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:32 - Oct 17 with 1676 viewsHerbivore

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:29 - Oct 17 by DanTheMan

The best bit is, you can't turn around now and blame this on the EU not being willing to compromise, or even Boris for that matter.

Second referendum is surely the only way out now isn't it? I can't see how else this is resolved. Apparently Boris has now baulked at the reality of a no deal, a deal that can be sold to parliament doesn't look possible. I'm not sure how else we shift it other than through a second referendum, potentially one that requires a majority in NI for a Brexit deal as well as an overall majority.

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:36 - Oct 17 with 1667 viewsfactual_blue

They've rejected it 'as things stand'.
Another billion quid will do the trick though.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:36 - Oct 17 with 1665 viewsBluefish

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:30 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Abusive how? I responded to your question with a Wiki on the island of Ireland to help you out. I only referred to you as dumb, accurately not as a term of abuse, when you still didn't seem to get it. If I've upset you then I apologise.

Apology accepted. Happy to talk as are many others though if you ever need to

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:38 - Oct 17 with 1655 viewsartsbossbeard

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:36 - Oct 17 by factual_blue

They've rejected it 'as things stand'.
Another billion quid will do the trick though.

And the promise that they can go back to burning witches once we Brexit.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:38 - Oct 17 with 1653 viewsHerbivore

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:36 - Oct 17 by Bluefish

Apology accepted. Happy to talk as are many others though if you ever need to

I'm fine. Glad we've resolved this.

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:46 - Oct 17 with 1635 viewsDanTheMan

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:32 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Second referendum is surely the only way out now isn't it? I can't see how else this is resolved. Apparently Boris has now baulked at the reality of a no deal, a deal that can be sold to parliament doesn't look possible. I'm not sure how else we shift it other than through a second referendum, potentially one that requires a majority in NI for a Brexit deal as well as an overall majority.

The only thing I can think of is that they try to win over enough people who just don't want no deal to cover the loss of the DUP.

Now of the ERG also turn around and say this isn't good enough then that's a different ball game.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:46 - Oct 17 with 1634 viewsblueislander

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:32 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

One way or another it does now seem unlikely that we will leave on 31st October without a deal. Large slice of humble pie for Boris. If there is a second referendum, the options will have to be more nuanced than the previous one, allowing the “swivel eyed loons” to vote to leave without a deal.
As an aside I wonder how the fund managers who bet heavily on a much weaker pound after a no deal exit are doing?
DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:46 - Oct 17 with 1632 viewsfactual_blue

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:38 - Oct 17 by artsbossbeard

And the promise that they can go back to burning witches once we Brexit.

And a solemn promise that the National Trust will confirm the Giant's Causeway is only six thousand years old.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:51 - Oct 17 with 1611 viewsMoriarty

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 07:53 - Oct 17 by m14_blue

How have we got to the position where this ragtag of backwards bigots, who only got 22% of the vote in NI, can shape the future of the country.

No doubt it’ll be remainers fault anyway.

Your colonial past? Ironic that it was the policy of stopping Ireland’s freedom via the plantations that is now the obstacle to your Brexit?

I don’t mean to be facetious by the way.

I think an extension and a second referendum make sense. But that’s from the outside looking in.

fka omuircheartaigh

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:52 - Oct 17 with 1603 viewsbluelagos

Maybe we can let the DUP negotiate the deal and we can cut out the middle man...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:54 - Oct 17 with 1602 viewsHerbivore

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:46 - Oct 17 by DanTheMan

The only thing I can think of is that they try to win over enough people who just don't want no deal to cover the loss of the DUP.

Now of the ERG also turn around and say this isn't good enough then that's a different ball game.

Without the DUP I think that leaves them with a shortfall of 50 plus. They could win over some of the Tories they kicked out I expect but would likely need 40 odd Labour votes and that looks a tall order.

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:55 - Oct 17 with 1599 viewsbluejacko

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 07:36 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Hard to see a way out. The DUP are prepare to jeopardise peace on the island of Ireland by pushing us towards a no deal rather than being open to sensible compromise.

Genuine question here, who are the people that you think will resort to violence over this problem?
DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:55 - Oct 17 with 1597 viewsDarth_Koont

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 07:56 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

That's assuming the EU will agree an extension. I don't think that's a given when there is no sign that the UK can come up with a deal that can get support at home and that guarantees the integrity of the single market whilst maintaining an open border between the UK and Ireland. They are keen to avoid a disastrous no deal but if there is no prospect of a deal they may make the call that enough is enough and both sides need to move on.

Yes. Although for every extension we look closer to remaining or at least not taking on a catastrophic exit. The rhetoric for the hardcore Brexiteers gets more and more strident but in pure political terms (HoC and the electorate) they're getting weaker every day.

I think the EU should just wait it out even just a few more months. If they played hardball they could probably break up the UK and minimize us as a future competitor but keep us as a captive market. But I think that's a very nationalist and neoliberal type of approach that the EU is probably immunized against.

Pronouns: He/Him

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:59 - Oct 17 with 1582 viewsblueislander

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:55 - Oct 17 by Darth_Koont

Yes. Although for every extension we look closer to remaining or at least not taking on a catastrophic exit. The rhetoric for the hardcore Brexiteers gets more and more strident but in pure political terms (HoC and the electorate) they're getting weaker every day.

I think the EU should just wait it out even just a few more months. If they played hardball they could probably break up the UK and minimize us as a future competitor but keep us as a captive market. But I think that's a very nationalist and neoliberal type of approach that the EU is probably immunized against.

At least the campaigning in a second referendum should contain much less misinformation than the original one.
DUP say no to Brexit deal on 09:00 - Oct 17 with 1581 viewseireblue

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:29 - Oct 17 by DanTheMan

The dangers associated with waterbeds are always underestimated.
DUP say no to Brexit deal on 09:03 - Oct 17 with 1567 viewssparks

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 07:53 - Oct 17 by m14_blue

How have we got to the position where this ragtag of backwards bigots, who only got 22% of the vote in NI, can shape the future of the country.

No doubt it’ll be remainers fault anyway.

The Dup per se arent the issue here. They represent the strongest group of unionists. Unionists comprise more than 50% of NI. The proposed deal puts a border in the Irish sea which is essentially equivalent to a border between north and south but objectionable to unionists rather than republicans.

Whilst its tempting to blame the loony DUPers there is no more reason that such an arrangement should be acceptable than one which creates a border with the south.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 09:04 - Oct 17 with 1565 viewsPinewoodblue

DUP say no to Brexit deal on 08:51 - Oct 17 by Moriarty

Your colonial past? Ironic that it was the policy of stopping Ireland’s freedom via the plantations that is now the obstacle to your Brexit?

I don’t mean to be facetious by the way.

I think an extension and a second referendum make sense. But that’s from the outside looking in.

Bringing up our colonial past is a valid point after all Londonderry was just another colonial investment.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024