Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa 12:37 - Jan 2 with 4849 viewsitfcjoe

If anyone is interested:

EDIT - This is a copy and paste from David Ornstein who always seems to be well connected

Arguably Tottenham’s stand-out performer in recent weeks, Dele Alli marked his 200th appearance for the club in Sunday’s last-gasp win at Wolves that lifted Spurs into fifth place. It was a successful trip to the Midlands for Alli, almost five years after another visit there almost resulted in the midfielder making it his home.

As the 2015 January transfer window drew towards a close, Aston Villa were among the clubs pursuing Alli and agreed a deal with MK Dons to sign the highly-rated 18-year-old. Alli travelled with his foster parents and representative to Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground on Sunday February 1, a day before the deadline and was greeted by a delegation that included senior executives as well as former players Stiliyan Petrov and Gordon Cowans. As the first team were away to Arsenal, manager Paul Lambert could not attend. It is said he was not particularly familiar with Alli’s game or potential and therefore indifferent about getting together in person and the signing itself, but the Scot did agree to a phone call the previous night.

Alli toured Villa’s facilities and received a presentation that made clear he would be the focal point of a team built around him. He would be paid in excess of £20,000 per week, a huge uplift on what he was earning at the time and significantly more than Tottenham were paying their young talents. Villa felt encouraged throughout but after hearing whispers of the lengths gone to by Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino to convince Alli that White Hart Lane should be his destination, they were led to believe the stance and absence of Lambert may have proved costly.

Later that evening, Alli’s decision was relayed to Villa and he admitted how hard it had been. On Monday February 2 – deadline day – he put pen to paper with Spurs and the rest is history.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 13:06]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:46 - Jan 2 with 2970 viewskizaitfc

Almost stopped reading after you state Dele Ali has been Tottenham's stand out performer, he has to be the most overrated player in the premier league IMO, his general 90 minutes is poor with the odd exciting flick.

To have a sly dig at Lambert over this is ridiculous, there are countless occasions where top managers have missed world class players and not thought they were good enough.

Stop trying to add fuel to a very limp fire and just get behind the manager and team!

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:51 - Jan 2 with 2900 viewsitfc_bucks

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:46 - Jan 2 by kizaitfc

Almost stopped reading after you state Dele Ali has been Tottenham's stand out performer, he has to be the most overrated player in the premier league IMO, his general 90 minutes is poor with the odd exciting flick.

To have a sly dig at Lambert over this is ridiculous, there are countless occasions where top managers have missed world class players and not thought they were good enough.

Stop trying to add fuel to a very limp fire and just get behind the manager and team!

Wait till he finds out that we could have signed Gascoigne and Gullit...
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:54 - Jan 2 with 2871 viewshaynes_toe1

It's just an interesting story, I don't see what's wrong with posting on that.

It's not adding fuel to a 'limp' fire at all. There's plenty, plenty, plenty of valid criticisms of our currently poor manager.
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:55 - Jan 2 with 2858 viewsSuperblue95

1. He said “stand out performer in recent weeks” which he has been.

2. He only passed on a story that some might have found interesting. I doubt it was intended as a dig

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:58 - Jan 2 with 2831 viewsTractorWood

Probably true but I bet a manager at a big club is given this spiel every other day about the best talent in the country.

We've released our fair share of decent players too. I remember people defending MM for Pope (maybe it was pre MM?), Marriott etc.

It's just football. Who would have thought Murphy would have a really good twilight period etc etc.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 13:00]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:00 - Jan 2 with 2812 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

All you have to do is look at Dele Alli's numbers for Spurs and then remember he is 23 years old to see how good he actually is.

I actually believe in 2016-17 he was robbed of Prem Player of the year. It went to Kante but it should have been Alli, his output was ridiculous for a midfielder.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:04 - Jan 2 with 2764 viewsCoco

“...and received a presentation that made clear he would be the focal point of a team built around him. He would be paid in excess of £20,000 per week, ”

It was here that I realised that this was sensationalised bullshiete. Nearly every manager and player has a shoulda, woulda, coulda

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:05 - Jan 2 with 2754 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:55 - Jan 2 by Superblue95

2. He only passed on a story that some might have found interesting. I doubt it was intended as a dig

It was a copy and paste job, I thought fairly obvious but should have noted it was from David Ornstein.

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:06 - Jan 2 with 2728 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:55 - Jan 2 by Superblue95

"2. He only passed on a story that some might have found interesting. I doubt it was intended as a dig"

It clearly was.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:13 - Jan 2 with 2666 viewshaynes_toe1

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:06 - Jan 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

"2. He only passed on a story that some might have found interesting. I doubt it was intended as a dig"

It clearly was.

Why is it clearly a dig? I mean if we wanted to have a dig it'd be much easier to have a dig about the fact:

- He relegated us whilst achieving no improvements.
- He has the biggest and best squad in the league but we're 5th in League One.
- He can't play a settled system
- He can't play a settled team
- He clearly hasn't identified his best 11, and the best formation to play
- He has us playing a lot of long-ball football contrary to what he said he wanted to do when he came here
- He occasionally decides to put his own future in doubt to distract from the fact he's doing a below average job.
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:15 - Jan 2 with 2655 viewsTractorWood

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:13 - Jan 2 by haynes_toe1

Why is it clearly a dig? I mean if we wanted to have a dig it'd be much easier to have a dig about the fact:

- He relegated us whilst achieving no improvements.
- He has the biggest and best squad in the league but we're 5th in League One.
- He can't play a settled system
- He can't play a settled team
- He clearly hasn't identified his best 11, and the best formation to play
- He has us playing a lot of long-ball football contrary to what he said he wanted to do when he came here
- He occasionally decides to put his own future in doubt to distract from the fact he's doing a below average job.

But he bought me a pint once.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:30 - Jan 2 with 2578 viewsclive_baker

Not really sure what the alternative was for him to be fair. Was he meant to miss his management responsibilities away at Arsenal in order to greet an 18 year old signing from MK Dons?

Not sure that snippet demonstrates anything, but I am suspicious about Lambert's thoroughness, tactically, and league 1 knowledge in particular. Admittedly i'm basing that on little more than instinct and few things I've witnessed, but it does concern me. I get the impression he's just hoping we have enough quality to get us over the line, rather than properly getting the best out of what he's got and giving the opposition due respect.

I would love to see him asked in his pre match presser before the Accrington game to predict their back 4 and see what he came out with.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:34 - Jan 2 with 2533 viewsMullet

I think it's more grating that a few of you are so entrenched in defending Lambert constantly when he doesn't need it. Joe's clearly not a fan, but likewise he's hardly embellished it or used it to suggest Lambert has cost us like this in recruitment at ITFC.

This is the worst era any of us have known and Lambert does play a part in that, pretending he is (or even on the verge of) some sort of McCarthy like pariah, constantly attacked and pilloried is silly and far more unhelpful I'd say.

Your last sentence is exactly the problem. Everything is constantly framed as some sort of fight you have to be at the ends of, that all discussion and analysis gets sucked out of the window of this place.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:35 - Jan 2 with 2511 viewsDyland

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:34 - Jan 2 by Mullet

I think it's more grating that a few of you are so entrenched in defending Lambert constantly when he doesn't need it. Joe's clearly not a fan, but likewise he's hardly embellished it or used it to suggest Lambert has cost us like this in recruitment at ITFC.

This is the worst era any of us have known and Lambert does play a part in that, pretending he is (or even on the verge of) some sort of McCarthy like pariah, constantly attacked and pilloried is silly and far more unhelpful I'd say.

Your last sentence is exactly the problem. Everything is constantly framed as some sort of fight you have to be at the ends of, that all discussion and analysis gets sucked out of the window of this place.

You were like this with McCarthy.

(RUNS AWAY)

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:46 - Jan 2 with 2443 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:30 - Jan 2 by clive_baker

Not really sure what the alternative was for him to be fair. Was he meant to miss his management responsibilities away at Arsenal in order to greet an 18 year old signing from MK Dons?

Not sure that snippet demonstrates anything, but I am suspicious about Lambert's thoroughness, tactically, and league 1 knowledge in particular. Admittedly i'm basing that on little more than instinct and few things I've witnessed, but it does concern me. I get the impression he's just hoping we have enough quality to get us over the line, rather than properly getting the best out of what he's got and giving the opposition due respect.

I would love to see him asked in his pre match presser before the Accrington game to predict their back 4 and see what he came out with.

He isn't a training ground manager, and every week the opposition seem better organised than us which is a concern.

I know that some of the senior players struggle with this approach, and it may explain why we have been starting games slowly in recent weeks - I'm hoping that the Lincoln chat involved the players telling him more what they need to feel prepared

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:46 - Jan 2 with 2432 viewsMullet

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:35 - Jan 2 by Dyland

You were like this with McCarthy.

(RUNS AWAY)

:)

Not at all old boy.

McCarthy was constantly barracked for the colour of the sky to the way the grass grew. Plus he was good even at his worst. I'd actually have preferred Lambert to come in right after with the benefit of hindsight, he'd have inherited a smoother free ride and squad more likely to be improved too innit.

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:47 - Jan 2 with 2425 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:46 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

He isn't a training ground manager, and every week the opposition seem better organised than us which is a concern.

I know that some of the senior players struggle with this approach, and it may explain why we have been starting games slowly in recent weeks - I'm hoping that the Lincoln chat involved the players telling him more what they need to feel prepared

He's a great man manager, that's literally all that his ex players ever say about him.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:47 - Jan 2 with 2418 viewsDyland

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:46 - Jan 2 by Mullet

Not at all old boy.

McCarthy was constantly barracked for the colour of the sky to the way the grass grew. Plus he was good even at his worst. I'd actually have preferred Lambert to come in right after with the benefit of hindsight, he'd have inherited a smoother free ride and squad more likely to be improved too innit.

Only yankin yer chain innit.

HNY :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:49 - Jan 2 with 2411 viewshomer_123

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:47 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

He's a great man manager, that's literally all that his ex players ever say about him.

Some of the best managers I've ever worked for are not nice people.

You see, great managers properly manage performance, have difficult conversations and put people outside their comfort zones to get the best out of them.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:49 - Jan 2 with 2407 viewsjas0999

Villa or Tottenham. Must have been a tricky decision.
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:49 - Jan 2 with 2405 viewsMullet

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:47 - Jan 2 by Dyland

Only yankin yer chain innit.

HNY :)

And you. And I know! Seems you know who needs a whoosh though.

If only the campaign against our greatest manager of the Evans era was imaginary and the result of paranoia eh? We could be at least top ten in the Championship again.

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:52 - Jan 2 with 2391 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:47 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

I don't think you'd find that from the current lot at the moment - his approach must have changed over time but hopefully he is now aware of that.

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:57 - Jan 2 with 2355 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:52 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

I don't think you'd find that from the current lot at the moment - his approach must have changed over time but hopefully he is now aware of that.

Yes, his rotation seems to go against a lot of what you hear about Lambert from former players.

His Norwich side was very settled, for instance.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:58 - Jan 2 with 2346 viewsclive_baker

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:46 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

I think that's the only benefit I see of him signing a new contract. If nothing else it's a message to some of the senior pro's that he's here to stay, so suck it up and get on with it. They got Hurst sacked, and they might've been tempted to do the same to Lambert. Perhaps it's time some of them started looking at their own performances? Although I sympathise with them, he's miles off tactically, and that's been demonstrated in a number of our games this season. We look lost. We're like the Arsenal of L1 (under Emery). Unfit, pretty toothless, bereft of any cohesion or confidence and massively under indexing relative to the quality in the squad.

In our case, anything less than top 2 is an abject failure for us this season IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:01 - Jan 2 with 2321 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:52 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

I am not saying they are a bad bunch. But...

They didn't get on with Hurst and Doig, they were probably plumbs but they didn't buy in to it?

Now some don't like Lambert and his approach. Can they not just get on with it ffs.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024