Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa 12:37 - Jan 2 with 4878 viewsitfcjoe

If anyone is interested:

EDIT - This is a copy and paste from David Ornstein who always seems to be well connected

Arguably Tottenham’s stand-out performer in recent weeks, Dele Alli marked his 200th appearance for the club in Sunday’s last-gasp win at Wolves that lifted Spurs into fifth place. It was a successful trip to the Midlands for Alli, almost five years after another visit there almost resulted in the midfielder making it his home.

As the 2015 January transfer window drew towards a close, Aston Villa were among the clubs pursuing Alli and agreed a deal with MK Dons to sign the highly-rated 18-year-old. Alli travelled with his foster parents and representative to Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground on Sunday February 1, a day before the deadline and was greeted by a delegation that included senior executives as well as former players Stiliyan Petrov and Gordon Cowans. As the first team were away to Arsenal, manager Paul Lambert could not attend. It is said he was not particularly familiar with Alli’s game or potential and therefore indifferent about getting together in person and the signing itself, but the Scot did agree to a phone call the previous night.

Alli toured Villa’s facilities and received a presentation that made clear he would be the focal point of a team built around him. He would be paid in excess of £20,000 per week, a huge uplift on what he was earning at the time and significantly more than Tottenham were paying their young talents. Villa felt encouraged throughout but after hearing whispers of the lengths gone to by Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino to convince Alli that White Hart Lane should be his destination, they were led to believe the stance and absence of Lambert may have proved costly.

Later that evening, Alli’s decision was relayed to Villa and he admitted how hard it had been. On Monday February 2 – deadline day – he put pen to paper with Spurs and the rest is history.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 13:06]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:20 - Jan 2 with 1813 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:57 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

Yes, his rotation seems to go against a lot of what you hear about Lambert from former players.

His Norwich side was very settled, for instance.

His Norwich side was 10 years ago, what do his players at Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves say about him?

McCarthy has left massive shoes to fill with regards to man management

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:21 - Jan 2 with 1812 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:58 - Jan 2 by clive_baker

I think that's the only benefit I see of him signing a new contract. If nothing else it's a message to some of the senior pro's that he's here to stay, so suck it up and get on with it. They got Hurst sacked, and they might've been tempted to do the same to Lambert. Perhaps it's time some of them started looking at their own performances? Although I sympathise with them, he's miles off tactically, and that's been demonstrated in a number of our games this season. We look lost. We're like the Arsenal of L1 (under Emery). Unfit, pretty toothless, bereft of any cohesion or confidence and massively under indexing relative to the quality in the squad.

In our case, anything less than top 2 is an abject failure for us this season IMO.

I just noted on another thread but I think Mick has left massive shoes to fill here, with regards to man management, in game management and setting up a team to do a job.

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:24 - Jan 2 with 1796 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:20 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

His Norwich side was 10 years ago, what do his players at Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves say about him?

McCarthy has left massive shoes to fill with regards to man management

Blackburn & Stoke players say he's a great man manager too.

I'm just going on what I've heard players saying on various podcasts.

Clearly though he needs to be more than just a man manager.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 1779 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:24 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

I hear that on Podcasts as well.

His name always crops up on Undr the cosh. They always say Great coach and everybody wants to play for him. Not sure a single player has said anything bad about him on there.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:33 - Jan 2 with 1777 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:24 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

I've not heard a lot from them, am well behind on Undr The Cosh!

Have heard a lot from ex-Norwich players on The Longman's show, and they all to a man rave about him so not doubting it - just seems very different here for some reason- probably results to an extent as whatever happens if you are winning you are loved. Someone like Steve Evans and Graham Westley can continue to attract the same players because they know they do well despite being massive c*nts

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:35 - Jan 2 with 1765 viewsMullet

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:33 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

Have heard a lot from ex-Norwich players on The Longman's show, and they all to a man rave about him so not doubting it - just seems very different here for some reason- probably results to an extent as whatever happens if you are winning you are loved. Someone like Steve Evans and Graham Westley can continue to attract the same players because they know they do well despite being massive c*nts

Similarly Keane and Hurst took their pick of their former teams here, albeit with a lot of leverage from Evans to do so. I guess it's better the devil you know in that respect, and if you're getting a pay rise to work with someone you know will pick you it's easy to do.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:56 - Jan 2 with 1739 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:33 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

Get listening to the Aaron Wilbraham one.

Absolute gold.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:00 - Jan 2 with 1738 viewsjaykay

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:13 - Jan 2 by haynes_toe1

Why is it clearly a dig? I mean if we wanted to have a dig it'd be much easier to have a dig about the fact:

- He relegated us whilst achieving no improvements.
- He has the biggest and best squad in the league but we're 5th in League One.
- He can't play a settled system
- He can't play a settled team
- He clearly hasn't identified his best 11, and the best formation to play
- He has us playing a lot of long-ball football contrary to what he said he wanted to do when he came here
- He occasionally decides to put his own future in doubt to distract from the fact he's doing a below average job.

because all them digs have been used before.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:02 - Jan 2 with 1737 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:06 - Jan 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

"2. He only passed on a story that some might have found interesting. I doubt it was intended as a dig"

It clearly was.

I think it is fair game to post it but it 100% had an agenda. Clear dig. It's a very random thing to post otherwise.

Lambert away with the team at Arsenal so literally couldn't meet the player. This story is quite simply two clubs in for Ali and he opted for the bigger club.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:17 - Jan 2 with 1721 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:02 - Jan 2 by Terry_Nutkins

I think it is fair game to post it but it 100% had an agenda. Clear dig. It's a very random thing to post otherwise.

Lambert away with the team at Arsenal so literally couldn't meet the player. This story is quite simply two clubs in for Ali and he opted for the bigger club.

It was literally a C&P of a story I came across about our manager, that was in a newsletter e-mail received this morning - thought it may have been of interest as he is our manager

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:40 - Jan 2 with 1700 viewsNo9

That suggests that whoever was pulling the strings at villa it wasn't the 1st team coach.
If the 1st team coach had to be at Arsenal with the 1st team it begs the question as to why the interview with DA was on that day - unless the 1st team coach was not to be a part of the transfer negotiations.
This is something that seems to be happening more often (Re: Sheepshanks & D Dien with the R Wright fiasco).
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:43 - Jan 2 with 1695 viewsNo9

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:34 - Jan 2 by Mullet

I think it's more grating that a few of you are so entrenched in defending Lambert constantly when he doesn't need it. Joe's clearly not a fan, but likewise he's hardly embellished it or used it to suggest Lambert has cost us like this in recruitment at ITFC.

This is the worst era any of us have known and Lambert does play a part in that, pretending he is (or even on the verge of) some sort of McCarthy like pariah, constantly attacked and pilloried is silly and far more unhelpful I'd say.

Your last sentence is exactly the problem. Everything is constantly framed as some sort of fight you have to be at the ends of, that all discussion and analysis gets sucked out of the window of this place.

this 'worst era' has gone on since the administrators came in with the exception of BFJ's efforts
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 16:58 - Jan 2 with 1675 viewspatrickswell

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 14:01 - Jan 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

I am not saying they are a bad bunch. But...

They didn't get on with Hurst and Doig, they were probably plumbs but they didn't buy in to it?

Now some don't like Lambert and his approach. Can they not just get on with it ffs.

In fairness to the players, Hurst and Doig came in with a man management approach that went, “You’re crap - prove me wrong or fight me”. Under Lambert, the team has been rotated to such an extent that no one has a clue what’s going on,
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 18:30 - Jan 2 with 1627 viewsBerkshire_Blue

I thought copy and paste was banned for copyright reasons
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 19:12 - Jan 2 with 1605 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:04 - Jan 2 by Coco

“...and received a presentation that made clear he would be the focal point of a team built around him. He would be paid in excess of £20,000 per week, ”

It was here that I realised that this was sensationalised bullshiete. Nearly every manager and player has a shoulda, woulda, coulda

That comment doesn't seem to fit with "It is said he was not particularly familiar with Alli’s game or potential and therefore indifferent about getting together in person and the signing itself, but the Scot did agree to a phone call the previous night."

Who was actually managing Villa at that time? Maybe whoever had decided that Alli would be the focal point of the team over Lambert's head was the problem?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 22:37 - Jan 2 with 1576 views3_5_2

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 12:51 - Jan 2 by itfc_bucks

Wait till he finds out that we could have signed Gascoigne and Gullit...

and Batistuta !

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 01:11 - Jan 3 with 1555 viewsSwailsey

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 15:00 - Jan 2 by jaykay

because all them digs have been used before.

“Those facts”.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 01:23 - Jan 3 with 1554 viewsBonchosBicycle

This reminds me a little of the story about Beattie and Liverpool. It sounds like Villa at least bothered to show up though.
Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 06:02 - Jan 3 with 1516 viewsBryanPlug

Paul Lambert re Dele Alli when at Villa on 13:46 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

He isn't a training ground manager, and every week the opposition seem better organised than us which is a concern.

I know that some of the senior players struggle with this approach, and it may explain why we have been starting games slowly in recent weeks - I'm hoping that the Lincoln chat involved the players telling him more what they need to feel prepared

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024