Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Currently boling my pxss 08:35 - Jan 20 with 11446 viewsartsbossbeard

Tom Hunt, Tory MP for Ipswich visiting an Ipswich Food Bank over the weekend, posting pictures on his FB page and praising the volunteers hard work.

Amazing.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:25 - Jan 20 with 2339 viewsBackToRussia

Currently boling my pxss on 09:23 - Jan 20 by noggin

That maddest thing I saw in the build up to the GE, was a volunteer at a food bank in Uxbridge, admitting she would be voting for Boris.

Mad, but predictable.

The plan all along has been to turn the working class against each other.

Look at America where the majority of republican voters are poor southerners who'd benefit most from democratic policies like national health insurance.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Currently boling my pxss on 09:28 - Jan 20 with 2334 viewsHerbivore

Currently boling my pxss on 09:07 - Jan 20 by Dubtractor

Yep. "Big Society" sounds lovely as a sound bite, but really it is a disgusting premise.

In adult social care they've been pushing an agenda of personalisation and promoting choice and independence. Sounds great in theory but it's essentially entailed a massive stripping back of funded services and instead involves relying on family, friends, and the voluntary sector to do more and more. Apparently this is how you promote independence, by the state abdicating responsibility for everything.

In his final years my grandad had dementia and was in a nursing home and his condition was getting progressively worse over time, as happens with dementia, and yet when he had a funding review suddenly all of his needs were assessed as being less severe than when he'd first gone to the home. As a family we had to choose between covering the shortfall, several hundred pounds a month, or have him moved to a home that wouldn't fully meet his needs. He died whilst the decision was being appealed. That's part of the reality of a Tory led UK.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 9:35]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:30 - Jan 20 with 2320 viewsNewcyBlue

Currently boling my pxss on 09:25 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

So to repeat.

Is the problem that food banks exist or that people need them?

They wouldn’t exist if people didn’t need them.

I am always left saddened by the one MrsN and I volunteer at.

Unfortunately I only see it getting worse. Especially when a lot of people where we live are employed at the Nissan factory in Sunderland....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:30 - Jan 20 with 2318 viewsHerbivore

So to repeat.

That people need them. If people didn't need them they wouldn't exist.

Currently boling my pxss on 09:32 - Jan 20 with 2308 viewsHerbivore

Currently boling my pxss on 09:30 - Jan 20 by NewcyBlue

They wouldn’t exist if people didn’t need them.

I am always left saddened by the one MrsN and I volunteer at.

Unfortunately I only see it getting worse. Especially when a lot of people where we live are employed at the Nissan factory in Sunderland....

And yet Sunderland voted heavily to leave the EU. This is what happens when you have a media designed to poison people's minds.

Currently boling my pxss on 09:34 - Jan 20 with 2299 viewsnoggin

Currently boling my pxss on 09:30 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

And many people that are forced to use them, are in work. A shameful statistic.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:36 - Jan 20 with 2294 viewsartsbossbeard

So to repeat.

The problem, imho, is that we've got people who need them to the point of reliance on them and food banks are now looking after a wider spectrum of people who wouldn't class themelves as vulnerable but effectively they are.

I don't think that there's a simple answer to your Q.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:36 - Jan 20 with 2292 viewsLord_Lucan

Currently boling my pxss on 09:30 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

I think this is my point.

I would wager that food banks would be busy at any point in history had they existed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Currently boling my pxss on 09:39 - Jan 20 with 2269 viewsHerbivore

Currently boling my pxss on 09:36 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

I would wager that food banks would be busy at any point in history had they existed.

So why the explosion in food banks coinciding with Tory austerity? Is it pure coincidence or do far more people need them now?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:40 - Jan 20 with 2263 viewsPinewoodblue

Currently boling my pxss on 09:20 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

I'm a Norwich North voter.

You have my sympathy, having also been one.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Currently boling my pxss on 09:40 - Jan 20 with 2261 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Nah....you're wrong....skips used to be a lot easier to access!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Currently boling my pxss on 09:42 - Jan 20 with 2244 viewsHerbivore

Currently boling my pxss on 09:40 - Jan 20 by Pinewoodblue

You have my sympathy, having also been one.

North Norwich is a lovely place these days.

Currently boling my pxss on 09:47 - Jan 20 with 2226 viewsNewcyBlue

Yeah there probably would be a base of users for food banks.

However, their use has definitely increased. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

It’s appalling.

I can only repeat myself, old kids toys are appreciated at food banks. As long as they work and are suitably clean, they’re a great distraction for kids who have been taken along whilst their parents use it, and if the food bank volunteers are as soft as me the kids will be sent away with it.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Currently boling my pxss on 09:48 - Jan 20 with 2221 viewsGuthrum

However, in a modern, wealthy. highly developed country with a (formerly) comprehensive welfare and National (especially mental) Health systems, other safety nets ought to be there.

However, those structures have been dismantled over the last few dacades, using existence of supposed malingerers as an excuse, for ideological or tax-reducing reasons.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Currently boling my pxss on 09:57 - Jan 20 with 2192 viewsHARRY10

Not true, they have arisen because of a need. Much as soup kitchens in the 1930's.

You are confusing cause and effect.
Currently boling my pxss on 10:06 - Jan 20 with 2171 viewsLord_Lucan

Currently boling my pxss on 09:48 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

However, in a modern, wealthy. highly developed country with a (formerly) comprehensive welfare and National (especially mental) Health systems, other safety nets ought to be there.

However, those structures have been dismantled over the last few dacades, using existence of supposed malingerers as an excuse, for ideological or tax-reducing reasons.

That wasn't my point. My point was that if food banks had existed in previous years they would still have been busy.

Edit; posted without meaning to - I'll carry on.

I am not arguing over whether they should exist or not
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 10:08]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Currently boling my pxss on 10:09 - Jan 20 with 2157 viewsLord_Lucan

Currently boling my pxss on 09:57 - Jan 20 by HARRY10

Not true, they have arisen because of a need. Much as soup kitchens in the 1930's.

You are confusing cause and effect.

I can remember soup vans ever since I was old enough to go into town of an evening - and that was a long time ago.

Currently boling my pxss on 10:15 - Jan 20 with 2132 viewsHerbivore

Currently boling my pxss on 10:06 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

That wasn't my point. My point was that if food banks had existed in previous years they would still have been busy.

So why didn't they exist in such numbers until the Tories got back into power and started cutting everything?
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 10:16]

Currently boling my pxss on 10:15 - Jan 20 with 2133 viewsGuthrum

Currently boling my pxss on 10:06 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

However, the fact that they didn't exist to anywhere near the same extent suggests they were not required (except during times such as the Great Depression of the '20s and '30s). That the system was working well enough not to need them.

Currently boling my pxss on 10:18 - Jan 20 with 2126 viewsHARRY10

Currently boling my pxss on 10:09 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

I can remember soup vans ever since I was old enough to go into town of an evening - and that was a long time ago.

They were for those incapable of feeding themselves - mostly through drink and/or drug dependency.

What we are seeing now is folk in work being referred to food banks, as money has been cut.

If you are paying rent you cannot simply tell the landlord that you will have to cut the rent by the amount the governmenthas cut. If you lose your job it can be weeks before you receive any money.

Why not pop along to your nearest food bank and have a chat with those working in there.

Nothing like being better informed.
Currently boling my pxss on 10:21 - Jan 20 with 2111 viewsPinewoodblue

Currently boling my pxss on 10:15 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

However, the fact that they didn't exist to anywhere near the same extent suggests they were not required (except during times such as the Great Depression of the '20s and '30s). That the system was working well enough not to need them.

The fact that the majority of food bank users are earning a wage ought to concern everyone.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Currently boling my pxss on 10:24 - Jan 20 with 2089 viewsLord_Lucan

Currently boling my pxss on 10:18 - Jan 20 by HARRY10

They were for those incapable of feeding themselves - mostly through drink and/or drug dependency.

What we are seeing now is folk in work being referred to food banks, as money has been cut.

If you are paying rent you cannot simply tell the landlord that you will have to cut the rent by the amount the governmenthas cut. If you lose your job it can be weeks before you receive any money.

Why not pop along to your nearest food bank and have a chat with those working in there.

Nothing like being better informed.

You know nothing about me do you.

Currently boling my pxss on 10:25 - Jan 20 with 2086 viewsHARRY10

Currently boling my pxss on 10:24 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

You know nothing about me do you.

Not a requirement when replying to a post
Currently boling my pxss on 10:32 - Jan 20 with 2065 viewsChurchman

Currently boling my pxss on 09:28 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

In adult social care they've been pushing an agenda of personalisation and promoting choice and independence. Sounds great in theory but it's essentially entailed a massive stripping back of funded services and instead involves relying on family, friends, and the voluntary sector to do more and more. Apparently this is how you promote independence, by the state abdicating responsibility for everything.

In his final years my grandad had dementia and was in a nursing home and his condition was getting progressively worse over time, as happens with dementia, and yet when he had a funding review suddenly all of his needs were assessed as being less severe than when he'd first gone to the home. As a family we had to choose between covering the shortfall, several hundred pounds a month, or have him moved to a home that wouldn't fully meet his needs. He died whilst the decision was being appealed. That's part of the reality of a Tory led UK.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 9:35]

A rarity - I agree with you on something ‘political’!! The irony is that choice, personalisation etc is exactly the nonsense Trump used to bin Obamacare. Ok it was limited in who it benefitted, but it was better than nothing. He could have improved/expanded it but he chose to bin it on the basis ‘choice’. In America, unless you have £££ you are truly bugg#@£d. You actually fall off the system in the end and cease to exist. If they’re happy with that, great, but I don’t see why we should replicate it here.

On a personal note, my mum died in Asterbury Care Home (wonderful people working there) 2 years ago after a couple of years there having suffered from dementia and various age related issues. Before going there she nearly died in Ipswich hospital because following her hip break there was nowhere for her to go. Under the tories, any convalescent places had been long closed through council budget cuts. The hospital said she had to go from the hospital (rightly) but it was the devils own job finding the right place. Thanks to endless meetings, persistence and a wonderful social worker, we managed to get it sorted, but we were very lucky.

The system is not joined up and given if you are Reece Mogg & co, you can build a wing on your mansion and employ staff. I genuinely think they believe that’s what the rest of us should do. ‘Choice’, care in the community etc was only ever an easy way of saving money because they do not believe in the welfare state or public services. If you want it, pay for it. We should in the 21st century be able to do better and I include food banks and homelessness in that.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 10:34]
Currently boling my pxss on 10:33 - Jan 20 with 2066 viewsGuthrum

Currently boling my pxss on 10:09 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

Soup vans/kitchens and the like are a bit different, supplying individual hot meals to those without the facilities to prepare them (e.g. the homeless) or who lacked the capability (e.g. health problems, old age). There was also an element of providing a communal eating environment for the socially isolated.

Food banks, on the other hand, are supplying groceries to entire households who simply can't afford them.

It's also a question of numbers. The town I live in used to have one organisation which provided regular free meals for the needy. Now there are at least four or five food banks that I know of.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024