Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Currently boling my pxss 08:35 - Jan 20 with 11449 viewsartsbossbeard

Tom Hunt, Tory MP for Ipswich visiting an Ipswich Food Bank over the weekend, posting pictures on his FB page and praising the volunteers hard work.

Amazing.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Currently boling my pxss on 10:33 - Jan 20 with 1223 viewsGlasgowBlue

Currently boling my pxss on 09:39 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

So why the explosion in food banks coinciding with Tory austerity? Is it pure coincidence or do far more people need them now?

Didn’t the rise in food banks coincide with the economy crashing and the aftermath of the credit crunch?

Do you believe that had Labour won the election in 2010, the rise in food banks would not have happened?

I accept that austerity continued far longer than was necessary.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Currently boling my pxss on 10:40 - Jan 20 with 1208 viewsGuthrum

Currently boling my pxss on 10:21 - Jan 20 by Pinewoodblue

The fact that the majority of food bank users are earning a wage ought to concern everyone.

Absolutely. The fact that a wage-earner cannot feed their family suggests something is very wrong with the ratio between earning levels and the cost of living among a sector of society in this country.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Currently boling my pxss on 10:40 - Jan 20 with 1207 viewsClapham_Junction

Currently boling my pxss on 09:07 - Jan 20 by Dubtractor

Yep. "Big Society" sounds lovely as a sound bite, but really it is a disgusting premise.

I remember when they launched it with posters saying 'Big Society not Big Government' and had a smiley face next to the former and a red angry face next to the latter.

Hugely insulting to public sector workers, not that they give a sh1t of course.
Currently boling my pxss on 10:41 - Jan 20 with 1207 viewsHARRY10

Currently boling my pxss on 10:33 - Jan 20 by GlasgowBlue

Didn’t the rise in food banks coincide with the economy crashing and the aftermath of the credit crunch?

Do you believe that had Labour won the election in 2010, the rise in food banks would not have happened?

I accept that austerity continued far longer than was necessary.

unless Labour had pursued the huge cuts and delays that have been the result of the flawed Unuversal Credi then no
Currently boling my pxss on 10:49 - Jan 20 with 1175 viewsClapham_Junction

Currently boling my pxss on 09:19 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Just found out he went to Kings in Ely, so understandable not being a town fan and least he has some local-ish links.

I haven't seen much of him so far, but doesn't seem a massive tw@t, just a shame he couldn't have had one of the safe rural seats if he is a Countryside Alliance man as most of what they do isn't relevant to Ipswich.

He wrote a rather inflammatory article for the Star recently, linking immigrant communities and crime.

Currently boling my pxss on 10:49 - Jan 20 with 1161 viewsGlasgowBlue

Currently boling my pxss on 10:41 - Jan 20 by HARRY10

unless Labour had pursued the huge cuts and delays that have been the result of the flawed Unuversal Credi then no

Universal credit wasn’t introduced until 2013. But we saw a year in year increase in food bank usage from 2008 onwards.

I’m not defending the implementation of UC but With regards to cuts, the then a labour government under a Gordon Brown were proposing cuts far deeper than those of Thatcher in the 1980’s. France saw food bank usage rise to 3,5 million people in the aftermath of the global economic crash.

Iron Lion Zion

Currently boling my pxss on 10:50 - Jan 20 with 1166 viewsElephantintheRoom

Currently boling my pxss on 10:33 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

Soup vans/kitchens and the like are a bit different, supplying individual hot meals to those without the facilities to prepare them (e.g. the homeless) or who lacked the capability (e.g. health problems, old age). There was also an element of providing a communal eating environment for the socially isolated.

Food banks, on the other hand, are supplying groceries to entire households who simply can't afford them.

It's also a question of numbers. The town I live in used to have one organisation which provided regular free meals for the needy. Now there are at least four or five food banks that I know of.

As another volunteer in a food bank - this one in an area allegedly one of the wealthiest and nicest to live in the country - which recently moved into far bigger premises to cope with ever-increasing demand... I'd just like to offer a couple of observations.

If you are splattered in a car crash half way between Cambridge and Ipswich... your life will depend on a charity funding a helicopter. If you drop off the side of your boat whilst sailing off Aldeburgh ... you're depending on the bloke in the fish and chip shop rushing off to the lifeboat run by a charity .... if you get terminal cancer and need some care.... you're macmillan nurse is a charity worker etc etc.

The dependence on charity for some basic assistance in time of need is pretty deep in this country. BUT the taxes are quite low.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Currently boling my pxss on 10:56 - Jan 20 with 1143 viewsnoggin

Currently boling my pxss on 10:50 - Jan 20 by ElephantintheRoom

As another volunteer in a food bank - this one in an area allegedly one of the wealthiest and nicest to live in the country - which recently moved into far bigger premises to cope with ever-increasing demand... I'd just like to offer a couple of observations.

If you are splattered in a car crash half way between Cambridge and Ipswich... your life will depend on a charity funding a helicopter. If you drop off the side of your boat whilst sailing off Aldeburgh ... you're depending on the bloke in the fish and chip shop rushing off to the lifeboat run by a charity .... if you get terminal cancer and need some care.... you're macmillan nurse is a charity worker etc etc.

The dependence on charity for some basic assistance in time of need is pretty deep in this country. BUT the taxes are quite low.

But earning enough money to feed your family, should be a human right. It shouldn't be up to the generosity of your wealthier neighbours.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Currently boling my pxss on 11:05 - Jan 20 with 1111 viewseireblue

Currently boling my pxss on 10:49 - Jan 20 by GlasgowBlue

Universal credit wasn’t introduced until 2013. But we saw a year in year increase in food bank usage from 2008 onwards.

I’m not defending the implementation of UC but With regards to cuts, the then a labour government under a Gordon Brown were proposing cuts far deeper than those of Thatcher in the 1980’s. France saw food bank usage rise to 3,5 million people in the aftermath of the global economic crash.

In previous postings, you acknowledge that it was conceivable that had the Tories been in power and their policies implemented, then the banking crisis could have been much worse, since the Tories wanted less controls.

But as you pointed out, the Tories weren’t in control.

Labour were not in control, the rise in food banks happened on their watch, with your then leader lauding a Big Society.

You don’t know where a Labour Party would have made cuts and tax changes, or if it would have resulted in working people having to get referrals to food banks by the state.
Currently boling my pxss on 11:06 - Jan 20 with 1113 viewstractordownsouth

Currently boling my pxss on 08:39 - Jan 20 by Reuser_is_God

The fact we elected him over Sandy is mind boggling.

This speech was brilliant. Sure the Labour campaign was inadequate, but I bet none of the Tories shouting "shame" could point to anything factually inaccurate about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-50778921/election-results-2019-

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Currently boling my pxss on 11:11 - Jan 20 with 1085 viewstractordownsouth

Currently boling my pxss on 10:49 - Jan 20 by Clapham_Junction

He wrote a rather inflammatory article for the Star recently, linking immigrant communities and crime.

Quelle trucking Surprise

Currently boling my pxss on 11:13 - Jan 20 with 1071 viewstractordownsouth

Food banks would likely have risen due to the crash. But you'd bet that Gordon Brown, the man responsible for lifting 1/3 of pensioners out of poverty, and implementing tax credits for low paid families, would have done something about it. The same cannot be said for Mr Cameron.

Currently boling my pxss on 11:14 - Jan 20 with 1077 views26_Paz

Let me get this straight. Just so I understand.
A new MP has visited a local food bank, presumably to better understand the issues at play here and the needs of vulnerable constituents. During the course of this he has praised the hard work of the volunteers. And this has made you angry?
He's getting out and about rather than hiding away in his office, trying to understand the problems in his constituency. He should be applauded if anything.

The Paz Man

Currently boling my pxss on 11:17 - Jan 20 with 1057 viewsartsbossbeard

Currently boling my pxss on 11:14 - Jan 20 by 26_Paz

A new MP has visited a local food bank, presumably to better understand the issues at play here and the needs of vulnerable constituents. During the course of this he has praised the hard work of the volunteers. And this has made you angry?
He's getting out and about rather than hiding away in his office, trying to understand the problems in his constituency. He should be applauded if anything.

It's a gift.

You just get everything wrong.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Currently boling my pxss on 11:17 - Jan 20 with 1050 viewsitfcjoe

Currently boling my pxss on 11:11 - Jan 20 by tractordownsouth

Quelle trucking Surprise

I've got a few friends who are coppers on the front line and they would agree with him on this - a big proportion of the Romanian population in the town are just absolutely lawless. Not in a reign of terror way, but in a way that means they drive without taxes and insurances, get fined, don't pay the fine, carry on etc - and that there is a massive issue re the false claiming of child benefit in particular.

If 75% of the crime is being committed by one minority group then it is a big deal in a small town. There are Romanian police officers situated in the town, paid for by Suffolk Plod, to try and help with this issue currently - it is a big deal

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Currently boling my pxss on 11:19 - Jan 20 with 1040 views26_Paz

Currently boling my pxss on 11:17 - Jan 20 by artsbossbeard

It's a gift.

You just get everything wrong.

Please enlighten me what I have got wrong.
What is it about an MP doing his job that has got you so angry?

The Paz Man

Currently boling my pxss on 11:20 - Jan 20 with 1034 viewstractordownsouth

Currently boling my pxss on 11:14 - Jan 20 by 26_Paz

But the point is that he's representing a party whose policies have lead to a 28x increase in the amount of food bank parcels being delivered.

He also voted through the Brexit agreement which doesn't include a gurantee to maintain workers protections, so he's clearly not arsed about poverty. More focused on fox hunting, as we've seen above.

Currently boling my pxss on 11:20 - Jan 20 with 1028 viewsGlasgowBlue

Currently boling my pxss on 11:05 - Jan 20 by eireblue

In previous postings, you acknowledge that it was conceivable that had the Tories been in power and their policies implemented, then the banking crisis could have been much worse, since the Tories wanted less controls.

But as you pointed out, the Tories weren’t in control.

Labour were not in control, the rise in food banks happened on their watch, with your then leader lauding a Big Society.

You don’t know where a Labour Party would have made cuts and tax changes, or if it would have resulted in working people having to get referrals to food banks by the state.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-mar

“The IFS said Labour's plans implied a cumulative decline of 11.9% in departmental spending on public services and administration over four years, a cut of £46bn in inflation-adjusted terms.

But a two-year government pledge to protect spending on the NHS and schools, and to raise overseas aid to the UN target of 0.7% of national output, will result in deeper cuts of 20% for those departments not protected, the IFS said. If the government continued to spare health and education for a further two years, departments such as transport, defence and the Home Office would face budget reductions of 25%”

Are the Tories responsible fir the post crash rise in food bank usage in a France which now sees 3.5 million French people reliant in them?

Iron Lion Zion

Currently boling my pxss on 11:25 - Jan 20 with 1003 viewsHerbivore

Currently boling my pxss on 11:20 - Jan 20 by GlasgowBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-mar

“The IFS said Labour's plans implied a cumulative decline of 11.9% in departmental spending on public services and administration over four years, a cut of £46bn in inflation-adjusted terms.

But a two-year government pledge to protect spending on the NHS and schools, and to raise overseas aid to the UN target of 0.7% of national output, will result in deeper cuts of 20% for those departments not protected, the IFS said. If the government continued to spare health and education for a further two years, departments such as transport, defence and the Home Office would face budget reductions of 25%”

Are the Tories responsible fir the post crash rise in food bank usage in a France which now sees 3.5 million French people reliant in them?

You've rejoined the party then, Glassers?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Currently boling my pxss on 11:25 - Jan 20 with 1003 viewstractordownsouth

Currently boling my pxss on 11:17 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

I've got a few friends who are coppers on the front line and they would agree with him on this - a big proportion of the Romanian population in the town are just absolutely lawless. Not in a reign of terror way, but in a way that means they drive without taxes and insurances, get fined, don't pay the fine, carry on etc - and that there is a massive issue re the false claiming of child benefit in particular.

If 75% of the crime is being committed by one minority group then it is a big deal in a small town. There are Romanian police officers situated in the town, paid for by Suffolk Plod, to try and help with this issue currently - it is a big deal

I suppose I'm not informed on the subject as I'm not an Ipswich resident. Of course, if there's a big issue then it needs to be dealt with. But to me it seemed like he was too scared to name the communities involved. Fair enough if he wants to make that comment, but he didn't really have the balls to say what he actually thought - more of a halfway house. And the fact it's not evidence based means his claims lose legimitacy.

Currently boling my pxss on 11:26 - Jan 20 with 1001 viewsHARRY10

Not accurate.

The rise in food bank use was not steady as it shot up after 2013 - see Trussel Trust stats.

Part of the use in France is driven by government legislation banning food wastage by larger shops, and so an increasing distribution network has evolved

As to,

" the then a labour government under a Gordon Brown were proposing cuts far deeper than those of Thatcher in the 1980’s."

I would be curious to see evidence of that.
Currently boling my pxss on 11:27 - Jan 20 with 1001 viewsartsbossbeard

Currently boling my pxss on 11:19 - Jan 20 by 26_Paz

Please enlighten me what I have got wrong.
What is it about an MP doing his job that has got you so angry?

His party has overseen and implemented austerity measures and a universal credit system that is both unfair and frankly unworkable that has driven people on a working wage to basically beg for food to feed their families.

To then use his visit to praise the hard work of the volunteers and post this on his facebook page takes some kahunas. For your reference, there was no mention within as to how he was looking to fix this issue.

He's a snide.

Currently boling my pxss on 11:30 - Jan 20 with 989 viewsitfcjoe

Currently boling my pxss on 11:25 - Jan 20 by tractordownsouth

I suppose I'm not informed on the subject as I'm not an Ipswich resident. Of course, if there's a big issue then it needs to be dealt with. But to me it seemed like he was too scared to name the communities involved. Fair enough if he wants to make that comment, but he didn't really have the balls to say what he actually thought - more of a halfway house. And the fact it's not evidence based means his claims lose legimitacy.

The problem is if he says who it is then he's then brandished a racist so it's a tough line to tread which he may not have managed - it was his 1st week as an MP so happy to give him benefit of the doubt when no doubt he will be getting this message from the heads of police here as it is widely known.

I thik issue is he made out that the town is poor on crime, when like most towns and cities, it is the estates where much of this is ahppening

Currently boling my pxss on 11:31 - Jan 20 with 984 viewsLord_Lucan

Currently boling my pxss on 11:25 - Jan 20 by tractordownsouth

There is a glaringly obvious reason why people don't say what they actually think and this has led us into the situation we find ourselves in now.

The lack of honesty when it comes to matters of lawlessness within ethnic groups is one of the prime reasons normally sane people voted for Brexit

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Currently boling my pxss on 11:33 - Jan 20 with 968 viewsitfcjoe

Currently boling my pxss on 11:31 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

There is a glaringly obvious reason why people don't say what they actually think and this has led us into the situation we find ourselves in now.

The lack of honesty when it comes to matters of lawlessness within ethnic groups is one of the prime reasons normally sane people voted for Brexit

Some of the stories you hear from them, best for repeating in the pub rather than on here though!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024