Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The season is over, right? 14:28 - Feb 25 with 3348 viewsHerbivore

Or is it just me feeling that way? We have zero momentum and whatever length of time up to about 25 games that you choose to take our form over we simply aren't in top 6 form. I'm not seeing any evidence that's likely to change, especially with Jackson and Norwood both out for three big games.

We've left it too late to replace Lambert, it's been clear for quite a while now that he's a busted flush, but after giving him a new contract we couldn't very well bin him off straight away and I don't think anyone would be able to turn things round quickly enough to get us up now with relatively few games remaining.

All pretty depressing but this season feels much like last in terms of just waiting for our fate to be confirmed and seeing what transpires in the summer. Lambert has really cocked this season up despite having so much stacked in his favour. I just hope he's gone promptly so a new man has time to get his ducks in a row before preseason.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The season is over, right? on 15:50 - Feb 25 with 1185 viewshomer_123

Given how we have played against those in the around the play-offs, it's difficult to see us doing P'Boro, Coventry or Wycombe for example - especially over two games.

Getting into the play-offs isn't beyond us but, it's hard to see us doing well if we do.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The season is over, right? on 15:56 - Feb 25 with 1167 viewsusm

The season is over, right? on 15:50 - Feb 25 by homer_123

Given how we have played against those in the around the play-offs, it's difficult to see us doing P'Boro, Coventry or Wycombe for example - especially over two games.

Getting into the play-offs isn't beyond us but, it's hard to see us doing well if we do.

Although I dont think we will get through the play offs we were better than Wycombe in both league games. PBoro battered us but I think we held our own at Cov. We were also better than Sunderland at home and in the 1st half away, not so good v Rotherham and ok against Portsmouth and Fleetwood.

Having said that we just dont seem to have enough goals in us either to get to the play offs or to win them. Maybe losing Norwood and Jackson will bizarrely help, but I doubt it.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

The season is over, right? on 15:58 - Feb 25 with 1158 viewsTractorgirlforever

We will finish in the playoffs, and we will win at wembley in the final, and all this doom and gloom will be in the past and lambert will be our hero again, like he was 4 months ago!. ,lambert has just signed a 5 year deal, hes going nowhere, hes our future so get behind him rather than speculating who could do a better job. We have a squad that should be miles clear in this league, there was talk 4 months ago that we had 2 teams in our squad that could finish 1st and 2nd in this league, yes weve had setbacks, key injuries at vital times but come on, we need to all be behind the team 100% ,we can do it, booing the players or the manager in the games ahead wont do our chances any favours. COYB ❤
The season is over, right? on 16:00 - Feb 25 with 1154 viewshomer_123

The season is over, right? on 15:58 - Feb 25 by Tractorgirlforever

We will finish in the playoffs, and we will win at wembley in the final, and all this doom and gloom will be in the past and lambert will be our hero again, like he was 4 months ago!. ,lambert has just signed a 5 year deal, hes going nowhere, hes our future so get behind him rather than speculating who could do a better job. We have a squad that should be miles clear in this league, there was talk 4 months ago that we had 2 teams in our squad that could finish 1st and 2nd in this league, yes weve had setbacks, key injuries at vital times but come on, we need to all be behind the team 100% ,we can do it, booing the players or the manager in the games ahead wont do our chances any favours. COYB ❤

If we don't get promoted Lambert won't be here next year. He'll walk (not the first time) or his 5 years contract will likely allow us to replace him.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The season is over, right? on 16:42 - Feb 25 with 1104 viewsRegencyBlue

Lambert hasn't covered himself in glory but lets be honest, this squad is vastly overrated and there is more than an element of 'Emperors New Clothes' about it.

I think we are suffering from years of neglect by Evans, not just financially, but in the way he runs the club generally. There is nothing but never ending decline under the Evans regime and I don't see that changing whoever the manager is.

Unless there is a complete turnaround over the next few weeks we are not going to come close to the play-offs. In my honest opinion it has always been vital for the club to get back to the Championship at the first time of asking, before Evans continued his hopeless strategy, employed for the last god knows how many years, in League 1, namely cost cutting at every turn and selling our better players and replacing them with dross.

Promotion isn't going to happen this season and frankly relegation looks a better bet in the future than anything else. We are royally fooked!
The season is over, right? on 17:02 - Feb 25 with 1068 viewsSteve_M

Nope, not quite. A couple of wins and then we're back hoping we can build on them. We've all seen enough teams finish where they don't deserve to to give up with eleven games left.

Do I think we'll go up? Nope, but I wouldn't rule out the top six yet. For the most optimistic view of form, we've taken 14 points from ten games since the start of the year, do that for another 11 matches and we get to 67 points.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The season is over, right? on 17:04 - Feb 25 with 1063 viewsParky

The season is over, right? on 14:34 - Feb 25 by Funge

Yep, its over.

The manager is dreadful, and should be replaced. Other posters have suggested that McGreal might come in - I've got a lot of time for McGreal, but fear that he would crash and burn due to the sheer incompetence of our owner.

Where next? An optimistic appointment would be Nathan Jones, I suppose. We won't be getting him.

Sadly I fear that Evans will retain Lambert regardless until Christmas, whereby we will be perhaps 18th/ 19th in the table.

This team gets relegated next year. We're not close to rock-bottom yet.

What a time to be alive.

Whilst I agree on the majority of this post, I do however think it's slightly over dramatic that we would get relegated with this team.

There are several teams better than us in this division at the moment, but we've won something like 4 games in the last 22 and we're still in touching distance of the play-off's. You may say that was because of our good start, but that shows this squad is capable of getting results and I don't even think we looked anything special at the start of the season either.

Whilst I do agree Lambert isn't the man to take us forward, we ARE still a big fish in this division and whilst we have a lot of under-performers at the moment, we are still better than a lot of teams in this division.
The season is over, right? on 17:04 - Feb 25 with 1061 viewsHerbivore

The season is over, right? on 17:02 - Feb 25 by Steve_M

Nope, not quite. A couple of wins and then we're back hoping we can build on them. We've all seen enough teams finish where they don't deserve to to give up with eleven games left.

Do I think we'll go up? Nope, but I wouldn't rule out the top six yet. For the most optimistic view of form, we've taken 14 points from ten games since the start of the year, do that for another 11 matches and we get to 67 points.

67 points won't see us in the play offs.

Login to get fewer ads

The season is over, right? on 17:08 - Feb 25 with 1041 viewsRadlett_blue

The season is over, right? on 17:04 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

I reckon 74 will be needed. That's 22 from 13 games. Requires a big upgrade on our form over the past 3 months & with our 2 top scorers missing for 3 next 3 games, it's highly unlikely.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The season is over, right? on 17:08 - Feb 25 with 1041 viewsSwansea_Blue

Been over for a while hasn't it? This (our position and continued falling off the pace) has been fairly obvious for at least a month or more.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The season is over, right? on 17:10 - Feb 25 with 1031 viewsParky

The season is over, right? on 16:00 - Feb 25 by homer_123

If we don't get promoted Lambert won't be here next year. He'll walk (not the first time) or his 5 years contract will likely allow us to replace him.

I really don't think he will walk, it doesn't make any sense to him.

He's failed in his last 3 or 4 jobs, not sure relegation, failing to get promoted then leaving is going to add to his already quite poor CV. This on top of the fact that he has a five year contract, probably worth in excess of £1m a year, why would he walk from that?
The season is over, right? on 17:19 - Feb 25 with 1014 viewsSteve_M

The season is over, right? on 17:04 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

Probably not, and form since January has been mixed. Doncaster got 6th on 73 points last season so it's not far off, especially with one team less in the division.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The season is over, right? on 17:24 - Feb 25 with 998 viewshype313

The season is over, right? on 17:02 - Feb 25 by Steve_M

Trouble is Steve, we have lost our goal threat completely for at least the next 3 games, given how reliant we are on Norwood and Jackson, I just don't see where the goals are going to come from.

Unless we find some formation which randomly attributes us to go on a free-flowing, scoring run then I can't see it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The season is over, right? on 17:48 - Feb 25 with 962 viewstextbackup

Sometimes things are so obvious that they can be seen a Mile off.

We don’t score enough, our players look empty, majority of fan base are anti the manager, most hate the owner, some still pine for the ex ex manager,

We are a small club in an awful place, the only way for us is further down.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The season is over, right? on 17:51 - Feb 25 with 955 viewsFunge

The season is over, right? on 17:04 - Feb 25 by Parky

Whilst I agree on the majority of this post, I do however think it's slightly over dramatic that we would get relegated with this team.

There are several teams better than us in this division at the moment, but we've won something like 4 games in the last 22 and we're still in touching distance of the play-off's. You may say that was because of our good start, but that shows this squad is capable of getting results and I don't even think we looked anything special at the start of the season either.

Whilst I do agree Lambert isn't the man to take us forward, we ARE still a big fish in this division and whilst we have a lot of under-performers at the moment, we are still better than a lot of teams in this division.

I dunno, though.

What have been the stand-out performances this year? Fleetwood away was very good, as was Burton at home. We've doubled a poor Tranmere side, and battered an Accrington side with perhaps 5% of our resources. Shrewsbury made the cardinal sin of allowing us to score first, and then get a man sent off.

Our travails against the top sides in this league are well documented, and 3 out of Wigan, Barnsley, Luton, Huddersfield and Stoke will all be very tough next year (Hudders and Stoke will still have parachute payments, WIgan and Barnsley are established yo-yo clubs, and Luton are extremely well run).

Looking at mid-table, Doncaster, Gillingham, Lincoln and Brizzle Rovers have all looked much better than us this year. (Sensationally depressing sentence).

The only sides we've looked distinctly better than are Tranmere, Southend (utter, utter sh1te), Bolton's kids, and Shrewsbury. 2 of those 4 are definitely going down, and it's looking very gloomy for Tranmere.

If we assume that Downes and Woolf are off, and possibly Jackson too, then we're in a situation where we need at least 2 CBs (with no money available), and a strikeforce of Norwood (good), Keane (courage of a newt) and Sears, who I last remember being good when Daryl Murphy played for us.

What we will get is loans from League 2, and the opportunity to see El Miz shine for half a season before Preston sign him. See also Dobra/ Charlton.

I fear that what we're gonna see is another year of poor old Chambo being flogged ragged as captain at the back, as the ship capsizes even further.

We are fcked.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 17:52]
The season is over, right? on 17:57 - Feb 25 with 939 viewsHerbivore

The season is over, right? on 17:19 - Feb 25 by Steve_M

Probably not, and form since January has been mixed. Doncaster got 6th on 73 points last season so it's not far off, especially with one team less in the division.

Fleetwood who are currently in 6th only need 13 points from 13 games to get to 67 points. Pompey in 7th only need 14 points from 13 games to get there. Sadly we are the only top 8 side that has looked capable (and been capable) of that kind of sustained run of bottom 6 form.

We need a really quite significant upturn in form to even get 6th now I expect and we don't look remotely capable of it.

The season is over, right? on 18:04 - Feb 25 with 926 viewsFtnfwest

Agree, in fact it’s about 5 years in a row that that’s been the case by now, usually earlier
The season is over, right? on 18:06 - Feb 25 with 928 viewsPJH

The season is over, right? on 17:57 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

Fleetwood who are currently in 6th only need 13 points from 13 games to get to 67 points. Pompey in 7th only need 14 points from 13 games to get there. Sadly we are the only top 8 side that has looked capable (and been capable) of that kind of sustained run of bottom 6 form.

We need a really quite significant upturn in form to even get 6th now I expect and we don't look remotely capable of it.

Agree-there is a lot of what should have been and what could have been.

If we had now arrived at 52 points from 33 games in reverse order to what we have-18 points from the first 17 games and then 34 points from the next 16-then we would be in pretty good form coming up to the concluding stages but as we have not done it that way....
The season is over, right? on 18:06 - Feb 25 with 929 viewsKeaneish

It’s a weird one. We’ll win more than we lose between now and If we play like we did against Burton we’ll win another seven games. Play like we did against Oxford and we wont. Too inconsistent and too unpredictable. No idea which way it’s going to go but even if we miraculously made it, PL needs to go in May. This season has become farcical given the squad.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The season is over, right? on 18:23 - Feb 25 with 902 viewsGlasgowBlue

There is no evidence our form will change but you never know.

A win on Saturday could kick start another run like we had from August to October.

As I say, very unlikely but I'm not giving up until it'd mathematically impossible.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The season is over, right? on 18:29 - Feb 25 with 885 viewsBlueBadger

The season is over, right? on 18:06 - Feb 25 by Keaneish

It’s a weird one. We’ll win more than we lose between now and If we play like we did against Burton we’ll win another seven games. Play like we did against Oxford and we wont. Too inconsistent and too unpredictable. No idea which way it’s going to go but even if we miraculously made it, PL needs to go in May. This season has become farcical given the squad.

I agree that Lambert needs to go in May. Trouble is, it was May 2019 he needed to go.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The season is over, right? on 18:46 - Feb 25 with 867 viewsMullet

The season is over, right? on 17:24 - Feb 25 by hype313

Trouble is Steve, we have lost our goal threat completely for at least the next 3 games, given how reliant we are on Norwood and Jackson, I just don't see where the goals are going to come from.

Unless we find some formation which randomly attributes us to go on a free-flowing, scoring run then I can't see it.

I do have a feeling Sears might have a little go at scoring or at least making the space for others. He's patchy due to his versatility but he did it at this level before and higher up in spurts.

I just feel whatever happens it won't be enough. A miracle run of sneaking into 6th and onto Wembley, (and that's even discounting winning the playoffs) is still a dismal failure from where we were and would smack of crack papering.

Should we sneak up that way it'll be the kind of miracle that hides a multitudes of Lambert's sins it might even be worse for us in the short and long term!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The season is over, right? on 18:51 - Feb 25 with 851 viewsBlueBadger

The season is over, right? on 15:45 - Feb 25 by hamburger_sv

We would be in a relegation battle no matter what division we end up in.

I'd prefer not to be fighting relegation to the fourth division if that's all the same.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024