Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich 09:33 - Feb 29 with 12176 viewsSomethingBlue

Was at Carrow Road last night and, for one reason or another, have been to see them a few times this season. It's just night and day now, the difference between the clubs — the matchday experience, the way the stadium looks, the atmosphere, and of course the football being played. If there are still two divisions between us next season, and I make a good chance of that because there's no reason they can't stay up now, then they are gone for many, many years and the gap may actually never be bridged. The gulf will only become wider, by a tune of hundreds of millions, and although we all say football is cyclical I'm not so sure that's the case these days due to the way finances have changed. Every success story includes some luck, and every story of dereliction includes some ill fortune, but overall the level of competence with which they have been run over the past decade and a half in comparison to Town should be regarded as an absolute embarrassment. It actually hurts to think about it for too long.

Aware this is not a new observation and, for some, I know the comparisons are tedious. But for many of us it's all too deep-set!
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 9:34]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Norwich on 11:01 - Feb 29 with 3333 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 10:59 - Feb 29 by Lord_Lucan

I feel your pain, I have the exact same issue. She says she wants me there for my opinion but we have the complete opposite it clothing tastes, I like bright "Look at me" clothes and she likes dowdy black and grey stuff. I will be at the shoe rack and pick out a pair of red stilettos and say these are nice, she will tell me I'm a prat and pick up a pair of non descript flats.

If I am clothes shopping the last thing I would want is my Mrs there, mind you it is impossible for me to clothes shop in Ipswich so I dodge that bullet.

Apparently, 'I genuinely have no preference between these two near-identical pairs, they're only a tenner each, get both for f*ck's sake and let's go home' is 'unhelpful'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Norwich on 11:03 - Feb 29 with 3326 viewsvapour_trail

They, as with all non-elite clubs in the top flight, will ultimately be relegated, unless we end promotion and relegation.

Then they will in all likelihood be like stoke, or Middlesbrough, or Swansea, or Sunderland, or Portsmouth, or us.

The money doesn’t really mean a lot in the end unless you save a decent proportion of it, and all the clubs up there just spend it.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Norwich on 11:07 - Feb 29 with 3318 viewsjas0999

They are certainly better than us, but in my opinion not a Premier League side. Good result last night, but it’s just one rare win. In many ways similar to us - we beat Burton, but overall not too much to shout about over the past five months.

They will go down. They are a good Championship side. We might not go up. We are an average league one side. So although I agree there is a gulf, I don’t see them As two leagues better. Just the one - which is still depressing!

There is no doubting though they they are a better run club.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 11:09]
Norwich on 11:11 - Feb 29 with 3291 viewsHARRY10

Norwich on 10:54 - Feb 29 by patrickswell

No Harry, stop blaming the fans. In the week leading up to that 1-1 at Portman Road, Norwich were in the bottom 6 and the talk in a lot of the previews leading up to that game was that defeat could spell trouble for Farke. Don’t forget, the hip and happening German had seen his side finish below Ipswich for the first time in a decade the previous season at a time when we were supposedly managed by someone who was the polar opposite of what Farke represented.

They got the draw at Portman Road and in their next game, they beat Middlesbrough (then in the top 6) at Carrow Road and they never looked back. We lost 2-0 at Hull, (then in the bottom 3) and started to plunge.

Farke delivered success and although they will probably come down they are, once again, in a decent financial position. Ipswich fans are continually implored to get behind the team/plan and are continually subjected to failure, incompetence and BS. And this has gone on, barring McCarthy’s better years, for 12 years now. The fans are shown nothing that indicates they should have any faith or belief in those running this club.

I'm not blaming the fans. Our woes lie at the door of Marcus Evans.

But it is so annoying to read idiotic posts on here talking of Lambert being sacked. You don't think that kind of attitude does not filter through to the players/manager etc ?

SBR took a while to get things turned around here. Yet how long would he have lasted with these morons ?

He is here, for the forseeable so maybe lets get behind him, pull together and try to make this one club. Not us and them.
Norwich on 11:14 - Feb 29 with 3274 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 11:11 - Feb 29 by HARRY10

But it is so annoying to read idiotic posts on here talking of Lambert being sacked. You don't think that kind of attitude does not filter through to the players/manager etc ?

SBR took a while to get things turned around here. Yet how long would he have lasted with these morons ?

He is here, for the forseeable so maybe lets get behind him, pull together and try to make this one club. Not us and them.

Ah, the SBR fallacy. SBR was a novice manager with a couple of dozen games under his belt and genuinely supportive owners who knew what they wanted to do when he came in. Lambert had literally hundreds to his name and Marcus Evans.
Evans being crap doesn't let Lambert off the hook for being crap himself.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Norwich on 11:20 - Feb 29 with 3250 viewspatrickswell

Norwich on 11:11 - Feb 29 by HARRY10

Sir Bobby would have been just fine here. In fact any manager like him coming in and battling away at the foot of the Premier League would probably get a fair crack, especially if he had prospects from the Academy playing most weeks like Whymark, Woods, Mick Lambert etc were in the early 1970s. Do that in the top flight and I think you’ll find that even in this age, the majority of fans would be right behind them.

But these chancers who come in and facilitate a piss weak relegation from the second tier and then do a wonderful job of screwing up promotion from the third tier deserve every bit of bile thrown at them. And that’s what “our entitled fans” are having to put up with and why so many are getting angry.
Norwich on 11:22 - Feb 29 with 3238 viewsHARRY10

Norwich on 11:14 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

Ah, the SBR fallacy. SBR was a novice manager with a couple of dozen games under his belt and genuinely supportive owners who knew what they wanted to do when he came in. Lambert had literally hundreds to his name and Marcus Evans.

Crap because he has not turned around overnight a club that has been failing for nearly two decades ?

And given few of us now what work is being done beind the scenes to rebuild the club then your words are at least premature, if not uninformed.
Norwich on 11:24 - Feb 29 with 3232 viewshaynes_toe1

Norwich on 10:26 - Feb 29 by HARRY10

What is frustrating is our own fans. They looked nothing when we drew 1-1 but they stuck with Farke.

What is apparent now is that theytook a step or two back and then started to rebuild with a new model. Top to bottom it seems.

Whereas because Lambert may not deliver our our entitled promotion this board gets swamped with posts about some mythical get out clause to sack him.

Those PL clubs that have struggled to get back to the PL are little different to us in that they have come down with players who are not up to it and drawing a fair whack in wages. Skuse and Chambers will leave in the sumer. Others like Nolan will not be so easy to shift. It will need time.

I watched the game last night, and football aside it does look like they are all in it together. I don't see a petulent bunch of moaners complaining that Rome hasn't been built in a day.

We have a number of important home games comingup. Lets put our moaning behind us and show we want success, not complain that it hasn't been automatically granted. Because if them feckers can do it then why not us ?

And one thing they have shown is it can be done without big spending

I'm sorry but this isn't fair on Ipswich fans whatsoever.

The reason why Norwich fans are still behind and supporting the club and structure is because they won the league last season playing ridiculously good football. They've experienced a season of it and then they've kept to their principles in the prem. They've remained good to watch, remained playing their young players.

If we could see Lambert actually sticking to principles and playing good football and integrating youth properly then there would be far less grievance.
Login to get fewer ads

Norwich on 11:29 - Feb 29 with 3219 viewsMenton

Norwich on 10:29 - Feb 29 by Steve_M

I think it's gone for ITFC to be honest, we've missed out at every single potential turning point since the Summer of 2001 with the exception of McCarthy in 2012-13. It's the main reason I can't join in the growing dislike of Lambert, the failings are so much deeper than that.

As for Norwich, despite the structure they put in place they were lucky last season. They blew two chances of Premier League money and would have struggled had they stayed down with that wage bill.

That Maddison money came at just the right time for them. Without that they may have been down to stay.

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

Norwich on 11:29 - Feb 29 with 3218 viewsclive_baker

Norwich on 11:24 - Feb 29 by haynes_toe1

I'm sorry but this isn't fair on Ipswich fans whatsoever.

The reason why Norwich fans are still behind and supporting the club and structure is because they won the league last season playing ridiculously good football. They've experienced a season of it and then they've kept to their principles in the prem. They've remained good to watch, remained playing their young players.

If we could see Lambert actually sticking to principles and playing good football and integrating youth properly then there would be far less grievance.

I think that depends on your definition of good to watch. They’ve score an average of <0.9 goals per game and have won 5 in 28. They’ve tried to pass the ball but I wouldn’t necessarily say they’re good to watch. Sheffield United are good to watch. It was only a few weeks back that Norwich were booed off at home. Win 1-0 at home to Leicester and Farke deserves a statue. Fickle lot they are.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Norwich on 11:29 - Feb 29 with 3212 viewspatrickswell

Norwich on 11:14 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

Robson’s second game here saw us beat Manchester United (defending European champions). His fourth game saw us win at Arsenal, so there was something to hang the hat on with him. A damned sight more than a draw at Reading and blowing a lead at home to Bristol City.

Even during those turbulent early years under Robson, the team still used to beat Shankly’s Liverpool, put four goals past Best/Charlton/Law’s Manchester United in late 1970, battle away for a hard won point at Revie’s Leeds. Nowadays, we get doubled by Rotherham United, concede four at home to Peterborough, lose to everyone with a measure of competence about them and all at a level we haven’t played at for 62 years.
Norwich on 11:45 - Feb 29 with 3175 viewsSteve_M

Norwich on 11:29 - Feb 29 by Menton

That Maddison money came at just the right time for them. Without that they may have been down to stay.

That's true as well. Being in the Premier League allows a club to spend £3m on a player they can develop over a couple of seasons like that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Norwich on 12:28 - Feb 29 with 3092 viewstrncbluearmy

Matchday experience, god I hate that phrase
Norwich on 12:31 - Feb 29 with 3084 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s taken Evans over a decade to realise smartening up the stadium is a good idea. And a similar time to comprehend that a professional scouting network is a good idea.

Never mind eh, I’m sure he’ll be along again with a video address to the fans when it’s season ticket renewal time. Maybe throw in another five point plan.

As Bunk said to Omar: “makes me sick motherf***er, how far we done fell”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Norwich on 12:45 - Feb 29 with 3035 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 11:22 - Feb 29 by HARRY10

Crap because he has not turned around overnight a club that has been failing for nearly two decades ?

And given few of us now what work is being done beind the scenes to rebuild the club then your words are at least premature, if not uninformed.

No, crap because in 18 months he's gotten us relegated and is doing his best to keep us that way despiate having that largest playing budget in the division.

Even his pressers are rubbish now, there's literally no reason other than he's tied into a ludicrous contract to keep him on.

Norwich on 13:00 - Feb 29 with 2998 viewsFreddy

Norwich on 12:45 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

No, crap because in 18 months he's gotten us relegated and is doing his best to keep us that way despiate having that largest playing budget in the division.

Even his pressers are rubbish now, there's literally no reason other than he's tied into a ludicrous contract to keep him on.

Whoever is this who went to their game in his Ipswich shirt @alexgriffin23, cant get his video to load
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 13:01]
Norwich on 13:00 - Feb 29 with 2999 viewsTheBoyBlue

Norwich on 10:26 - Feb 29 by HARRY10

What is frustrating is our own fans. They looked nothing when we drew 1-1 but they stuck with Farke.

What is apparent now is that theytook a step or two back and then started to rebuild with a new model. Top to bottom it seems.

Whereas because Lambert may not deliver our our entitled promotion this board gets swamped with posts about some mythical get out clause to sack him.

Those PL clubs that have struggled to get back to the PL are little different to us in that they have come down with players who are not up to it and drawing a fair whack in wages. Skuse and Chambers will leave in the sumer. Others like Nolan will not be so easy to shift. It will need time.

I watched the game last night, and football aside it does look like they are all in it together. I don't see a petulent bunch of moaners complaining that Rome hasn't been built in a day.

We have a number of important home games comingup. Lets put our moaning behind us and show we want success, not complain that it hasn't been automatically granted. Because if them feckers can do it then why not us ?

And one thing they have shown is it can be done without big spending

To be fair, the patience of the Ipswich fans is staggering. Bar reaching the League Cup semi-finals and sneaking into the play-offs, there has been nothing to shout about for Ipswich fans. Barely anything of interest even. Even at the depths of the dull groundhog days that marked the end of MM's time here we were getting 14-15,000 fans. That we are getting 20,000 for some games at this level after all that is impressive.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Norwich on 13:01 - Feb 29 with 2990 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 13:00 - Feb 29 by Freddy

Whoever is this who went to their game in his Ipswich shirt @alexgriffin23, cant get his video to load
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 13:01]

Is it someone who can't post youtube links properly?

Norwich on 13:08 - Feb 29 with 2959 viewsDeano69

Norwich on 10:29 - Feb 29 by Steve_M

I think it's gone for ITFC to be honest, we've missed out at every single potential turning point since the Summer of 2001 with the exception of McCarthy in 2012-13. It's the main reason I can't join in the growing dislike of Lambert, the failings are so much deeper than that.

As for Norwich, despite the structure they put in place they were lucky last season. They blew two chances of Premier League money and would have struggled had they stayed down with that wage bill.

And will get relegated this season, far too late to do what’s required to stay up.

Nonetheless, parachute payments, unlikely to lose all their best players and little or no debt is an enviable position to be in.

Still stuck with awful yellow and green clubs colours though, so it’s not all good.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

It’s quite simple.... on 13:57 - Feb 29 with 2875 viewsunstableblue

They have a passionate board who are visible and present at the club, and a well qualified sporting director.... who had experience from Huddersfield and Wolves, including being head of recruitment.

They have hired technical and progressive managers...

We have had Simon Clegg, Ian Milne, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy and Hurst

It’s fairly obvious why there is such a gap between the clubs

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Norwich on 14:44 - Feb 29 with 2791 viewsMillsey

Unbelievable
Norwich on 14:52 - Feb 29 with 2765 viewsSwansea_Blue

Norwich on 11:01 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

Apparently, 'I genuinely have no preference between these two near-identical pairs, they're only a tenner each, get both for f*ck's sake and let's go home' is 'unhelpful'.

Huh, there’s gratitude for you. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

Er, not that I’m calling your missus a horse!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Norwich on 14:53 - Feb 29 with 2764 viewsnoggin

A defeat today will be too much. Another season in this league, without big investment, could be a catastrophe for ITFC and us fans.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Norwich on 14:54 - Feb 29 with 2756 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 14:53 - Feb 29 by noggin

A defeat today will be too much. Another season in this league, without big investment, could be a catastrophe for ITFC and us fans.

We will have a wonderful opprtunity to rebuild in League Two. Lambo is the man to take us forward into this sunny upland.

Norwich on 15:33 - Feb 29 with 2686 viewsArnieM

Yes, it’s amazing what £400m Sky income can do for a Club isn’t it 🙄

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024