Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country 20:48 - Mar 9 with 13925 viewsElderGrizzly

F*cking hell

Plus Israelis about to quarantine everyone entering the country from Thursday

[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 20:49]
Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:32 - Mar 10 with 3259 viewsStokieBlue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:28 - Mar 10 by Freddies_Ears

Agree. UK govt seems way out of line with others.

I was just talking on the phone to a friend who is coming back from Italy several days early due to the lockdown. Supposed to self-help. Their attitude? "We'll avoid our usual pubs and just go to places that don't know us for two weeks". Utterly irresponsible.

That is ridiculous.

Hope you had a stern word.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:34 - Mar 10 with 3257 viewsDanTheMan

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:32 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

That is ridiculous.

Hope you had a stern word.

SB

Must say, I was planning on just taking a UK trip on the time I've booked off but now thinking that is just may not be the socially responsible thing to do.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/

This sums it up fairly well.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:37 - Mar 10 with 3245 viewsGlasgowBlue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 11:37 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

Plus the other complication is that the government has deliberately broken that link of trust, so it should come as no surprise if they or their experts are not trusted.

Remainers pre-Coronavirus: "It's insane the government doesn't listen to our experts".

Remainers post-Coronavirus: "It's insane the government is listening to our experts and not Italy's experts".

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:41 - Mar 10 with 3231 viewsSwansea_Blue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:37 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

Remainers pre-Coronavirus: "It's insane the government doesn't listen to our experts".

Remainers post-Coronavirus: "It's insane the government is listening to our experts and not Italy's experts".

Where's anyone said that?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:42 - Mar 10 with 3223 viewsDanTheMan

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:37 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

There is a fairly good (but long) explanation here about what they are trying to do:

Basically instead of trying to prevent it happening, accept that's not really an option at this point and deal with managing it from the other side.

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:44 - Mar 10 with 3218 viewsDyland

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 15:55 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

Greece have gone early - all schools closed for 2 weeks with only 89 cases.

SB

The UK is leaving it too late I'm afraid to say. And I'm not a scare-monger, nor am I scared.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:45 - Mar 10 with 3207 viewsGlasgowBlue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:41 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

Where's anyone said that?

Not directly aimed at you but the amount of people trying to score political points over this is worrying as it could lead to people ignoring the government’s advice.

Too many people are listening to gibsh1tes with police to points to score on the internet rather than the country’s chief medical officer.

Iron Lion Zion

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:45 - Mar 10 with 3211 viewsitfcjoe

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:44 - Mar 10 by Dyland

The UK is leaving it too late I'm afraid to say. And I'm not a scare-monger, nor am I scared.

I think this will turn out to be the case - big public gatherings need to be stopped.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:47 - Mar 10 with 3199 viewsGlasgowBlue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:45 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

I think this will turn out to be the case - big public gatherings need to be stopped.

Which will happen when the epidemic is more widespread. But the advice is that if they go too early then people will get bored and take more risks when it peaks.

The U.K. response is very data driven.

Edit. I haven’t time to read Dan’s link but I imagine this is pretty much what is being said in it.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 16:49]

Iron Lion Zion

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:50 - Mar 10 with 3197 viewsitfcjoe

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:47 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

Which will happen when the epidemic is more widespread. But the advice is that if they go too early then people will get bored and take more risks when it peaks.

Edit. I haven’t time to read Dan’s link but I imagine this is pretty much what is being said in it.

Yeah, I read that from the nudge team - it’s very interesting

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:53 - Mar 10 with 3191 viewsDyland

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:45 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

.. and schools shut, sharpish.

I talked to colleagues in Milan yesterday evening and the situation is bad.

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:00 - Mar 10 with 3175 viewsDyland

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:47 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

I've talked to a lot of people I trust, and people I love. There's a lot of anti-media talk about scare-mongering. Everyone really needs to get over that and take this very, very seriously. That doesn't mean anyone needs to panic buy bog roll and soap. It does imo mean schools, especially primary schools should be closed now. And anyone who feels even slightly ill please stay at home.

I understand the logic and the argument but there is no legislating or accounting for "people getting bored"!

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:03 - Mar 10 with 3167 viewsJ2BLUE

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:00 - Mar 10 by Dyland

I've talked to a lot of people I trust, and people I love. There's a lot of anti-media talk about scare-mongering. Everyone really needs to get over that and take this very, very seriously. That doesn't mean anyone needs to panic buy bog roll and soap. It does imo mean schools, especially primary schools should be closed now. And anyone who feels even slightly ill please stay at home.

I understand the logic and the argument but there is no legislating or accounting for "people getting bored"!

That Twitter thread has scared the sh1t out of me.

I feel like everyone I care about is elderly or has health conditions.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:12 - Mar 10 with 3151 viewsDyland

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:03 - Mar 10 by J2BLUE

That Twitter thread has scared the sh1t out of me.

I feel like everyone I care about is elderly or has health conditions.

I see Banksters is questioning the validity of that thread. I know people in Italy with relatives who are otherwise fit and healthy who have developed serious lung disease. Obviously capacity is the issue here. China built super hospitals in a couple of days, incredibly. That won't happen here, in Italy or in France e.g. People should be concerned but that doesn't mean panicking or stockpiling water and bog roll. Certainly if you feel coldy at all it's best not to visit elderly or health compromised people for a week or so, and advise them to self-isolate until the picture is better understood.

EDIT: Apologies Banksters, think I may have referred to an earlier post (I'm in thread view) :)
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 17:16]

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:16 - Mar 10 with 3132 viewsDanTheMan

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:12 - Mar 10 by Dyland

I see Banksters is questioning the validity of that thread. I know people in Italy with relatives who are otherwise fit and healthy who have developed serious lung disease. Obviously capacity is the issue here. China built super hospitals in a couple of days, incredibly. That won't happen here, in Italy or in France e.g. People should be concerned but that doesn't mean panicking or stockpiling water and bog roll. Certainly if you feel coldy at all it's best not to visit elderly or health compromised people for a week or so, and advise them to self-isolate until the picture is better understood.

EDIT: Apologies Banksters, think I may have referred to an earlier post (I'm in thread view) :)
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 17:16]

Agreed.

Best thing we can all do at this point is limit travel, wash our hands and quarantine as soon as you get any sort of symptoms.

Don't think we'll be able to do what China did and just shut everything down, though that does appear to have been incredibly effective.

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:20 - Mar 10 with 3121 viewsjeera

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:28 - Mar 10 by Freddies_Ears

Agree. UK govt seems way out of line with others.

I was just talking on the phone to a friend who is coming back from Italy several days early due to the lockdown. Supposed to self-help. Their attitude? "We'll avoid our usual pubs and just go to places that don't know us for two weeks". Utterly irresponsible.

I'd be tempted to shame them personally.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:27 - Mar 10 with 3107 viewsStokieBlue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:34 - Mar 10 by DanTheMan

Must say, I was planning on just taking a UK trip on the time I've booked off but now thinking that is just may not be the socially responsible thing to do.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/

This sums it up fairly well.

Unless there is a lockdown then I think an internal trip within the UK is still OK. That could change at any moment though if there are hotspots.

Coming back from Italy early due to it being in lockdown and then not self-isolating is not OK. That was what Freddy Ears was saying someone he knew was doing. That's bang out of order.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:37 - Mar 10 with 3088 viewsRyorry

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:00 - Mar 10 by Dyland

The thing is that warning people they'll have to self-isolate if they get a cold is bound to mean further panic buying - ie people getting more basics in now, in case they have to stay at home, instead of picking stuff up when they're out & about like they'd usually do.

Got a pile of post this morning, which prompted me to think of the other ways it could be spread too ...

Have a hosp appt at out-patients' clinic on Fri, only a follow-up to a successful procedure I had some weeks ago so not urgent, & considering ringing em up to suggest postponing. I'm sure it is hayfever I have (have ordered thermometer online, shd arrive tomorrow just in case!) but just don't relish the thought of hundreds of pairs of accusing eyes on me as I sneeze & cough away ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:38 - Mar 10 with 3084 viewslongtimefan

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:27 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

Unless there is a lockdown then I think an internal trip within the UK is still OK. That could change at any moment though if there are hotspots.

Coming back from Italy early due to it being in lockdown and then not self-isolating is not OK. That was what Freddy Ears was saying someone he knew was doing. That's bang out of order.

SB

What about a coach trip to Bristol at the weekend? Not really sure if I should consider not going or not!
Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:53 - Mar 10 with 3050 viewsgordon

We really don't have any data on how British people respond to the banning of events involving public gatherings, this has never happened before. They are using that as a justification for keeping economic activity going for as long as possible; it might be the right course of action, but it can't be data driven.
Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:59 - Mar 10 with 3035 viewsjeera

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:37 - Mar 10 by Ryorry

The thing is that warning people they'll have to self-isolate if they get a cold is bound to mean further panic buying - ie people getting more basics in now, in case they have to stay at home, instead of picking stuff up when they're out & about like they'd usually do.

Got a pile of post this morning, which prompted me to think of the other ways it could be spread too ...

Have a hosp appt at out-patients' clinic on Fri, only a follow-up to a successful procedure I had some weeks ago so not urgent, & considering ringing em up to suggest postponing. I'm sure it is hayfever I have (have ordered thermometer online, shd arrive tomorrow just in case!) but just don't relish the thought of hundreds of pairs of accusing eyes on me as I sneeze & cough away ...

I'm having the same problem and it's causing me all sorts.

Had to cancel a procedure last week, but that'll have to wait.

Got doc's thursday so rang them this morning and told them that, as you say, I'm coughing and spluttering and sneezing a bit but also have the accompanying itchy eyes and nose. They're ok with me going in.

But more importantly I'm supposed to be n for an op in under 2 weeks under a general and gotta stay in overnight.

Not gonna want me there like that are they?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 18:06 - Mar 10 with 3014 viewsDanTheMan

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 17:27 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

SB

"Coming back from Italy early due to it being in lockdown and then not self-isolating is not OK. That was what Freddy Ears was saying someone he knew was doing. That's bang out of order."

100% agree.

I'm going to wait until next week. We were just going to come to go to Suffolk during the time we already had booked off but I'm trying to balance that out against being socially responsible. Also don't want to book anything only to have to cancel it again.

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 18:29 - Mar 10 with 2979 viewsSwansea_Blue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 16:45 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

Not directly aimed at you but the amount of people trying to score political points over this is worrying as it could lead to people ignoring the government’s advice.

Too many people are listening to gibsh1tes with police to points to score on the internet rather than the country’s chief medical officer.

Sadly inevitable. Winner of the culture war takes all! There was a clip floating around earlier of a Fox News hot take; apparently the liberal media are using the situation to make another case impeach Trump (the clips they link we’re just of people saying they didn’t trust trump, which seems reasonable to me). Crazy.

Totally agree people shouldn’t be trying to gain cheap political capital at the cost of health. There will be inevitably be a post-mortem around how prepared we/the NHS are; that’s reasonable if done properly and in context. Waging that post-mortem now on Twitter isn’t helpful.

I’d trust a consensus view from independent experts, but my original point was about government burning their bridges on trust. I’m not sure I’d trust at face value an individual expert the government put in front of us, whatever their expertise. It’s too easy to find a rogue/contrary view scientist. I’d want a full background check and their view verified independently! When a government and the people in it have lied to us repeatedly with no shame, I find it difficult to take any of them at face value.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 18:30]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 18:36 - Mar 10 with 2970 viewsjaykay

will tube travel be organised now . to stop overcrowding i think you are a lot closer to others on a packed tube train than most other places

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 19:32 - Mar 10 with 2898 viewsm14_blue

Italian PM just extended Coronavirus restriction zone to ENTIRE country on 18:29 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

Sadly inevitable. Winner of the culture war takes all! There was a clip floating around earlier of a Fox News hot take; apparently the liberal media are using the situation to make another case impeach Trump (the clips they link we’re just of people saying they didn’t trust trump, which seems reasonable to me). Crazy.

Totally agree people shouldn’t be trying to gain cheap political capital at the cost of health. There will be inevitably be a post-mortem around how prepared we/the NHS are; that’s reasonable if done properly and in context. Waging that post-mortem now on Twitter isn’t helpful.

I’d trust a consensus view from independent experts, but my original point was about government burning their bridges on trust. I’m not sure I’d trust at face value an individual expert the government put in front of us, whatever their expertise. It’s too easy to find a rogue/contrary view scientist. I’d want a full background check and their view verified independently! When a government and the people in it have lied to us repeatedly with no shame, I find it difficult to take any of them at face value.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 18:30]

Exactly this.

I actually think Boris has handled the situation pretty well so far, avoiding populist words and actions in favour of following the advice of experts. I've even been (shudder) relatively impressed with Hancock.

However, this Government has spent the last three years decrying academics and experts, questioning their motives and undermining them at every opportunity. In that context they can hardly be surprised when the same gullible people are sceptical now.

I always thought that Gove's outrageous 'had enough of experts' speech was one of the most damaging parts of the whole Brexit fiasco and those chickens could be coming home to roost now, at all of our expense.

I only hope that this whole crisis will make people realise that 'academics' and 'experts', particularly in the NHS, aren't the enemy but are the best of us who have been disgracefully treated by many of the very people they have dedicated their lives to helping.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024