Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert In 11:26 - May 22 with 8294 viewsGlasgowBlue

Am I the only person here here who thinks another change of manager will have a destabilising effect in the club when we are in completely uncharted waters due to the COvid outbreak?

Yeah he fcuked up. Yes he basically threw the season away, which was doubly annoying as we had managed to go back top in January.

But a new manager with probably very little in way of finances could see us drop even further.

Give him one more season imo.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lambert In on 12:44 - May 22 with 1068 viewsGuthrum

Lambert In on 12:20 - May 22 by N2_Blue

So what's the answer Guthers? It's so terribly disappointing and for over 10 years this club has nosedived.

Under Marcus Evans (because let's face it that's not going to change) how can we possibly have just a shed of light and generate some slight forward momentum?
I don't see a new manager being the answer, other than McCarthy before it went sour (and no way are we getting a manger of his ilk), all managers here have struggled badly in ME era. Is it really down to bad management with all of them? I don't know what or why but something hasn't felt right with the club since ME took over, but then without his money we'd be in even more trouble...so how does he make it work without putting in more money than he is prepared to?

It all right for people to say Marcus Evans out. He is the problem. Is he? What is he doing wrong. Do we have issues with other non-playing staff that have a crucial influence on the club. There has to be more to it surely?

I think the problem is partly outside the club altogether. The rampant inflation which has priced the more prudent/skint clubs out of the market and the uneven distribution of wealth which allows the richest to hoover up the best players (from youth level onwards) have hit us badly. The only time we were on the positive side of that equation, we went and got Roy Keane as manager and blew our chance.

That may all change post-Covid, but who knows?

Perhaps, now we're stuck in L1, a lower-profile*, but basically competent, manager could come in and build some foundations based on realism about our financial circumstances. Possibly with a dash of club connections (i.e. former player) somewhere in the setup, to help bring the fans onside and raise morale.

* Rather than a relative - and sometimes anciently - "biggish name" such as Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Lambert, or an "up-and-comer" like Hurst.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lambert In on 12:44 - May 22 with 1060 viewsHerbivore

Lambert In on 12:38 - May 22 by Terry_Nutkins

Ultimately he has failed this season. I'd disagree no signs. Good signings in the summer and good start. Then it went badly wrong. I think it would be fair if he'd gone end of season even if i would have wanted to see the finish and potentially give him start of next season.

Covid has saved his job. We'll need to get behind him and the team. He can still turn it around but he won't get the same chance next season. Last life.

I stand by the no signs of improvement. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. Our good start was 8 months ago now and we've been pretty hopeless ever since. Does he look capable of turning that around? Absolutely not.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert In on 12:44 - May 22 with 1059 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lambert In on 11:48 - May 22 by Bluefish

So why did it take being 10th in league 1 for you to and others to acknowledge that? Why not mention it before?

I don’t think Herbie has ever been anything less than critical of Lambert.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lambert In on 12:45 - May 22 with 1045 viewsBluefish

Lambert In on 12:44 - May 22 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t think Herbie has ever been anything less than critical of Lambert.

he was firmly still backing him in December

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lambert In on 12:49 - May 22 with 1048 viewsHerbivore

Lambert In on 12:45 - May 22 by Bluefish

he was firmly still backing him in December

Not true. I've had reservations for a long time. I wasn't calling for him to be sacked when we were top but I still had plenty of doubts about him. You need to read up or shut up. Preferably the latter please.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert In on 12:51 - May 22 with 1034 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert In on 12:49 - May 22 by Herbivore

Not true. I've had reservations for a long time. I wasn't calling for him to be sacked when we were top but I still had plenty of doubts about him. You need to read up or shut up. Preferably the latter please.

I second the vote for the latter.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert In on 12:51 - May 22 with 1036 viewsWeWereZombies

Yeah, I'm a remainer too...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Lambert In on 12:52 - May 22 with 1024 viewsBluefish

Ummm......no

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert In on 12:53 - May 22 with 1020 viewsBluefish

Lambert In on 12:51 - May 22 by BrixtonBlue

I second the vote for the latter.

funny how you 2 get so upset by posts but reply so very often. It is wonderful to see the backpedalling though

Lambert In on 12:54 - May 22 with 1030 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert In on 11:56 - May 22 by clive_baker

He's failed spectacularly here, he hasn't earned the right to another season. I don't judge him on season 1, he took over when we were on our backsides and the squad was in a terrible place. I actually think his recruitment was excellent, and there's little to criticise by way of personnel and the squad he built last summer. But to start as we did, and end up mid table is absolutely unforgivable. The COVID uncertainly doesn't make a difference IMO, all the more reason to get it all out there and hit reset.

He's failed, no doubt about it.

I think this is all fair enough. I'll give him a final life but your summary is accurate and he is certainly fortunate he'll get another go.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Lambert In on 12:56 - May 22 with 1016 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert In on 12:53 - May 22 by Bluefish

funny how you 2 get so upset by posts but reply so very often. It is wonderful to see the backpedalling though

I'm neither upset nor backpedalling. i don't think anyone is, I think they're all just laughing at you.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert In on 12:57 - May 22 with 1013 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert In on 12:44 - May 22 by Herbivore

I stand by the no signs of improvement. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. Our good start was 8 months ago now and we've been pretty hopeless ever since. Does he look capable of turning that around? Absolutely not.

Honestly not looking to change your overall view on him at all. Its fair enough. Just that we had looked to turn a corner and then it went seriously wrong.

Lambert In on 12:58 - May 22 with 1007 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Which is a reasonable stance!!

Lambert In on 13:03 - May 22 with 985 viewsBluefish

Lambert In on 12:56 - May 22 by BrixtonBlue

I'm neither upset nor backpedalling. i don't think anyone is, I think they're all just laughing at you.

Yes I am sure people are laughing because I said PRP is a fraud

Lambert In on 13:03 - May 22 with 993 viewsTractorWood

Lambert In on 12:32 - May 22 by BrixtonBlue

I think we need to get a witchdoctor in, because somehow, for some reason, this club is cursed.

Or it compounds indecision by subsequently making bad decisions because no one in charge of the club has a footballing bone in their body:

CEO - don't have one
Director of Football - don't have one
Owner - peripherally interested, mainly concerned with money or limit of loss thereof
Manager - has to essentially turn water into wine every transfer window with little to no money, no solid management team and a rudimentary scounting network
Assistant manager - couldn't even tell you who it's been after Terry and the bloke who made everyone wear the same pants under Hurst.

So when you boil it down, it's a manager ringing an owner who is probably abroad or on holiday.

I appreciate Lambert has been dross with a different context to his predecessors, but it's still a setup doomed for failure.

Apart from appointing Mick, the club hasn't made a good decision in 15 years.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 13:07]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Lambert In on 13:09 - May 22 with 973 viewsStadiumofdark

I think he has to go.... just can't see him turning it round.
Unless he needs a better / stronger assistant / coach.

Decent signings, decent PR, but tactically inept - in game management non existent.

Strangely, I like the bloke.
Lambert In on 13:11 - May 22 with 967 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

There is no point in stability for stabilities sake. Lambert has failed miserably here and there are no signs of getting anything together for me - 46 games into the season I still haven’t a clue what our best lineup is, or even our style of play

I also think you’re overstating the effect Lambert going would have - there’s likely to be upheaval anyway so it could equally be argued it’s an ideal opportunity for someone new to come in with fresh ideas etc. We’ll still be one of the biggest clubs in League One when all is said and done so I don’t see that the risk is significant either

I certainly don’t think we should be scared to get rid of a manager whose record consists of relegation with a whimper, and then a mid table position in the third division, that’s for sure

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lambert In on 13:24 - May 22 with 958 viewsIllinoisblue

I want to agree with you but the guy is a failure. Simple as that. He’s failed here (weak as piss “fight” against relegation followed by spectacular L1 collapse) and he’s been failing at his previous jobs for many years. Sickens me to say it but he hasn’t been a good manager since he was in yellow and green.

The damage is done. Get rid now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Lambert In on 13:29 - May 22 with 942 viewsGuthrum

Lambert In on 13:09 - May 22 by Stadiumofdark

I think he has to go.... just can't see him turning it round.
Unless he needs a better / stronger assistant / coach.

Decent signings, decent PR, but tactically inept - in game management non existent.

Strangely, I like the bloke.

I don't dislike him. The PR stuff he did after arriving was excellent, taking a dangerously bitter situation, getting the fans back on-side, former players involved, raising morale - all despite his history with our rival club.

Getting the team to deliver on the pitch is his only significant fault. Unfortunately, it's also the main raison d'etre of his job.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 14:24 - May 22 with 922 viewsunstableblue

Whilst I'm not in the rabid Lambert out cadre, who see zero of merit in Lamberts tenure, there has just not been anywhere near enough from PL to convince me he is a tactically and technically astute manager and that he can progress this team.

Whilst another manager switch seems ridiculous and is fraught with risk, I am becoming more convinced that Culverhouse and Gary Karsa who were with Lambert at Norwich and in part at Villa, may have provided some of the technical, system and selection wisdom that PL seems to lack.

Whilst I think our passing in midfield and press improved under PL, and we've had some really encouraging results this season, and in the 1-1 streak last terms, evidence such as not getting the best out of judge, switching formations and selection too much, not getting enough bodies into the box, etc etc etc are too concerning to continue with him as our manager. Also Huws and Downes looked really promising but seemed to die off.

If we got a new first team coach I'd perhaps change my position.

Football is fine margins and I think if Lambert got a run of fitness from KVY, Wolf, Downes, Huws, Bishop and Norwood I do think Lambert's stock would fly.

A lot of this conversation is pointless unless Marcus gets a chief exec to drive the club forward on and off the pitch

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 14:41 - May 22 with 903 viewsunstableblue

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 14:24 - May 22 by unstableblue

Whilst I'm not in the rabid Lambert out cadre, who see zero of merit in Lamberts tenure, there has just not been anywhere near enough from PL to convince me he is a tactically and technically astute manager and that he can progress this team.

Whilst another manager switch seems ridiculous and is fraught with risk, I am becoming more convinced that Culverhouse and Gary Karsa who were with Lambert at Norwich and in part at Villa, may have provided some of the technical, system and selection wisdom that PL seems to lack.

Whilst I think our passing in midfield and press improved under PL, and we've had some really encouraging results this season, and in the 1-1 streak last terms, evidence such as not getting the best out of judge, switching formations and selection too much, not getting enough bodies into the box, etc etc etc are too concerning to continue with him as our manager. Also Huws and Downes looked really promising but seemed to die off.

Football is fine margins and I think if Lambert got a run of fitness from KVY, Wolf, Downes, Huws, Bishop and Norwood I do think Lambert's stock would fly.

A lot of this conversation is pointless unless Marcus gets a chief exec to drive the club forward on and off the pitch

I should add that Lambert's Ipswich this term doesn't seem effective without one or more from Bishop, Dobra, KVY, or an in form Edwards (playing in midfield)

We just aren't pulling the opposition out of position or breaking the lines often enough.

But Lambert needed to change the system/formation to still be effective in what is a relatively poor league with less dynamic players - e.g. Judge at number 10, jackson wider, downes in a more free role.

The Tranmere, Accrington, Burton, Southend (a), were great performances, with passages and approaches to play of real merit... but weaker teams

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 14:42 - May 22 with 903 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Don't come on here speaking reasonably and with sense. The Culverhouse thing is massively overplayed but Lambert could benefit from freshening it up.

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 14:50 - May 22 with 883 viewsBluefish

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 14:42 - May 22 by Terry_Nutkins

Don't come on here speaking reasonably and with sense. The Culverhouse thing is massively overplayed but Lambert could benefit from freshening it up.

Or we could just replace the useless fraud instead of trying to find someone to cover for him. Worst manager in the game, certainly the worst one still currently employed

Hmmm.. technical technical technical on 15:12 - May 22 with 873 viewsfooters

I really don't think we should consider keeping on a manager who needs help deciding a formation, style of play and his best XI.

Lambert's tinpot tinkerman act is completely to blame for us being where we are. It's no wonder our players often looked like strangers to one another.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lambert In on 15:39 - May 22 with 853 viewsN2_Blue

Lambert In on 13:29 - May 22 by Guthrum

I don't dislike him. The PR stuff he did after arriving was excellent, taking a dangerously bitter situation, getting the fans back on-side, former players involved, raising morale - all despite his history with our rival club.

Getting the team to deliver on the pitch is his only significant fault. Unfortunately, it's also the main raison d'etre of his job.

Yes, same here. It was his fantastic effort to get fans back on side and lift the spirits, coupled with a fantastic start to the L1 campaign that make his poor performance and apparent inability to turn things around all the more frustrating!!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024