Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season 13:10 - Jun 1 with 4264 viewsitfcjoe

Contracts are up in June and will be leaving, so don't want to risk injury etc.

Lyle Taylor (11 goals this season)
Chris Solly (Hundreds of games for the club)
David Davis (Who is currently on loan from Birmingham)

Hard to be too critical when as a club Charlton are a complete and utter mess off the pitch
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 13:12]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:13 - Jun 1 with 3846 viewsMullet

Would have liked us to go for Taylor after Murphy left - wonder if he's shook off the bad attitude tag by now? He will surely do a great job for someone next season in the second tier too, they must be gutted with him.

It does seem to be another club that are somehow outdoing us despite the car crash ownership issues. You'd think they'll be one of several to be badly hit by this lay off.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:17 - Jun 1 with 3814 viewsuefacup81

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:13 - Jun 1 by Mullet

Would have liked us to go for Taylor after Murphy left - wonder if he's shook off the bad attitude tag by now? He will surely do a great job for someone next season in the second tier too, they must be gutted with him.

It does seem to be another club that are somehow outdoing us despite the car crash ownership issues. You'd think they'll be one of several to be badly hit by this lay off.

I know there are broader factors at play, but refusing to play games whilst he is still under contract suggests some of the attitude issues are still there.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:24 - Jun 1 with 3782 viewsMullet

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:17 - Jun 1 by uefacup81

I know there are broader factors at play, but refusing to play games whilst he is still under contract suggests some of the attitude issues are still there.

Well quite, hence my question. Had he come through our academy he'd have been partial to lighting cigars with £50 notes I'm sure.

I do feel some sympathy though, the players are in unchartered territory and must feel the club aren't looking after them. I'm not sure as a manager I'd rush to sign them either. We're seeing some interesting things come out of this aren't we?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:39 - Jun 1 with 3719 viewstractorboy1978

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:24 - Jun 1 by Mullet

Well quite, hence my question. Had he come through our academy he'd have been partial to lighting cigars with £50 notes I'm sure.

I do feel some sympathy though, the players are in unchartered territory and must feel the club aren't looking after them. I'm not sure as a manager I'd rush to sign them either. We're seeing some interesting things come out of this aren't we?

You can hardly blame him. If he's got a 3 year deal lined up to double his money on 1 July why would he risk injury? (hypothetical scenario). That's particularly pertinent at these uncertain times. I'm sure Charlton and other clubs will be releasing players shortly with no room for sentiment - it is business.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 13:45]
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:48 - Jun 1 with 3670 viewsRadlett_blue

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:13 - Jun 1 by Mullet

Lyle Taylor is 30 & must have been expecting his next contract to be quite a decent one & probably the last one of any length he will sign. I guess the value of that will have been downgraded following the coronavirus crisis, but if he's out of contract at the end of the month, I can see why he doesn't want to risk an injury. Equally, Charlton are in the drop zone so no wonder their fans are incensed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:49 - Jun 1 with 3667 viewsChrisd

Not really down to Charlton being in a mess, more to do with the fact they just don't want to get injured as they are out of contract and don't want to jeopardise their next move, which is fair enough.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:51 - Jun 1 with 3657 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:49 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

Not really down to Charlton being in a mess, more to do with the fact they just don't want to get injured as they are out of contract and don't want to jeopardise their next move, which is fair enough.

That’s surely not any different to the end of a season under a normal contract though, for the games in June?

Unless the suggestion is that the risk is heightened by the rush to get playing again and condensed schedule

I doubt they’ll be the last though

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:54 - Jun 1 with 3642 viewsChrisd

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:51 - Jun 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That’s surely not any different to the end of a season under a normal contract though, for the games in June?

Unless the suggestion is that the risk is heightened by the rush to get playing again and condensed schedule

I doubt they’ll be the last though

It will be interesting to see what percentage of players choose to play if their contract is up, it's undoubtedly a risk, but I bet there will be some that will just want to play for the love of the game and to get some minutes in their legs.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 13:55]

Login to get fewer ads

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:55 - Jun 1 with 3636 viewsJakeITFC

Really not a fan of that.
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 14:01 - Jun 1 with 3593 viewsLibero

Better to be safe than Solly?
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 14:54 - Jun 1 with 3500 viewsportmanking

Gerrard and Rangers are sniffing around Taylor apparently.

$$$$$$
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 19:22 - Jun 1 with 3192 viewstractorboy1978

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 14:54 - Jun 1 by portmanking

Gerrard and Rangers are sniffing around Taylor apparently.

$$$$$$

Just listened on Talksport and it's apparently 4 times the money he is on at Charlton. He's 30 years old, he's been chugging away in L1/L2 for his whole career until this season and this is his big move.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 19:24]
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 20:12 - Jun 1 with 3113 viewsChrisd

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 19:22 - Jun 1 by tractorboy1978

Just listened on Talksport and it's apparently 4 times the money he is on at Charlton. He's 30 years old, he's been chugging away in L1/L2 for his whole career until this season and this is his big move.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 19:24]

If that story is true, you can completely understand why he is choosing not to risk that potential move.

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 20:53 - Jun 1 with 3042 viewspointofblue

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 20:12 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

If that story is true, you can completely understand why he is choosing not to risk that potential move.

Though would be have downed tools in late March had the season continued? As this contract is so important.

What really grates with Charlton fans is he's missed four months of the season after injuring himself on international duty with Montserrat. He was paid for the duration as par for the course but they missed his goals. Now he's not going to be available for them again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 21:43 - Jun 1 with 2982 viewstractorboy1978

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 20:53 - Jun 1 by pointofblue

Though would be have downed tools in late March had the season continued? As this contract is so important.

What really grates with Charlton fans is he's missed four months of the season after injuring himself on international duty with Montserrat. He was paid for the duration as par for the course but they missed his goals. Now he's not going to be available for them again.

I think the narrative of 'refusing to play the rest of the season' is a bit unfair. He's not really downing tools, his contract expires on 30 June. After that he isn't under contract and I don't think he can really be criticised for not extending it and playing on beyond that when he has an offer on the table as of 1 July worth 4 x (supposedly) what he is on.
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 11:38 - Jun 3 with 2603 viewsMach_foreignBlue

'Hard to be too critical when as a club Charlton are a complete and utter mess off the pitch'

But at least they have a hope and something to look forward to unlike Ipswich who will keep declining under Evans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11684/11999630/charlton-portuguese-conso
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:45 - Jun 3 with 2526 viewsusm

They are contracted to Charlton. If they refuse to play for Charlton, whilst under contract, they should be suspended from all football for a period of time in the future, that may make them think again. It'll never happen. Can Charlton stop their wages? Highly unlikely and probably counter productive.

Players hold all the cards, dont you just love modern football?

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:50 - Jun 3 with 2514 viewstractorboy1978

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:45 - Jun 3 by usm

They are contracted to Charlton. If they refuse to play for Charlton, whilst under contract, they should be suspended from all football for a period of time in the future, that may make them think again. It'll never happen. Can Charlton stop their wages? Highly unlikely and probably counter productive.

Players hold all the cards, dont you just love modern football?

The issue here is that they are out of contract on 30th June. Games aren't starting until 20th June so they'd only be available for 2 of them anyway.
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:50 - Jun 3 with 2513 viewsuefacup81

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 21:43 - Jun 1 by tractorboy1978

I think the narrative of 'refusing to play the rest of the season' is a bit unfair. He's not really downing tools, his contract expires on 30 June. After that he isn't under contract and I don't think he can really be criticised for not extending it and playing on beyond that when he has an offer on the table as of 1 July worth 4 x (supposedly) what he is on.

'Downing tools' describes perfectly what he's doing.

He's under contract to Charlton until 2359hrs on 30th June. No doubt that contract contains the stipulation that he is to play all matches for which he is included in the squad, so long as he is fit to play.

What if he'd entered into a pre-contract agreement with another team during the January transfer window, and then decided not to play for Charlton again in case he hurt himself? Exactly the same scenario, no?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:59 - Jun 3 with 2496 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:50 - Jun 3 by tractorboy1978

The issue here is that they are out of contract on 30th June. Games aren't starting until 20th June so they'd only be available for 2 of them anyway.

Hadn’t realised it was quite that late that they restart which changes things a little, however I still think refusing to play in games during the period they are under contract is problematic - the fact they’re near the end of their contract isn’t really relevant

I don’t think anyone sensible is suggesting that players should be made to play outside of their contract?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:10 - Jun 3 with 2471 viewstractorboy1978

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:50 - Jun 3 by uefacup81

'Downing tools' describes perfectly what he's doing.

He's under contract to Charlton until 2359hrs on 30th June. No doubt that contract contains the stipulation that he is to play all matches for which he is included in the squad, so long as he is fit to play.

What if he'd entered into a pre-contract agreement with another team during the January transfer window, and then decided not to play for Charlton again in case he hurt himself? Exactly the same scenario, no?

Technically you are right although January is a continuation of the season, whereas this a pre-season situation, not coming back match fit and more susceptible to injuries - training for 3 weeks to play in 2 games before your contract expires.

I'd imagine from Charlton's point of view, the issue is more that he won't extend that deal and play on beyond 30th June.
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:29 - Jun 3 with 2435 viewstractorboy1978

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 12:59 - Jun 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Hadn’t realised it was quite that late that they restart which changes things a little, however I still think refusing to play in games during the period they are under contract is problematic - the fact they’re near the end of their contract isn’t really relevant

I don’t think anyone sensible is suggesting that players should be made to play outside of their contract?

I think there was an assumption that out of contract players would extend their deals until the season was over - it was actually Bowyer a few weeks ago on Talksport that said they'd had legal advice and been told that players don't have to.
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:34 - Jun 3 with 2426 viewshaynes_toe1

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:29 - Jun 3 by tractorboy1978

I think there was an assumption that out of contract players would extend their deals until the season was over - it was actually Bowyer a few weeks ago on Talksport that said they'd had legal advice and been told that players don't have to.

As fans we hate the idea that footballers aren't just footballers because they love the game and love whatever club they're currently at.

The reality is that some of these employees have been offered double money at a nicer location when their current contract expires and they don't want to do anything to jeopardise that.
3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:44 - Jun 3 with 2414 viewsChrisd

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 13:34 - Jun 3 by haynes_toe1

As fans we hate the idea that footballers aren't just footballers because they love the game and love whatever club they're currently at.

The reality is that some of these employees have been offered double money at a nicer location when their current contract expires and they don't want to do anything to jeopardise that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8379793/Galatasaray-join-Rang

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 14:02 - Jun 3 with 2393 viewsitfcjoe

3 Charlton players refusing to play for them over remainder of the season on 11:38 - Jun 3 by Mach_foreignBlue

'Hard to be too critical when as a club Charlton are a complete and utter mess off the pitch'

But at least they have a hope and something to look forward to unlike Ipswich who will keep declining under Evans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11684/11999630/charlton-portuguese-conso

Yes, I bet you were saying the same after their last takeover a few months back too

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024