Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... 15:57 - Jun 1 with 14438 viewsmonytowbray

...which I expect most of you do, you are antiFA.

Or now, as Donald Trump will call you, a terrorist.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 18:08 - Jun 1 with 3586 viewstractordownsouth

Antifa contains violent elements that hijack legitimate protests and give them a bad name... they’re extremists and don’t represent the 99% of us who abhor fascism but they aren’t terrorists. If they are then so are the “very fine people” who marched alongside that white supremacist murderer in Charlottesville

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 18:28 - Jun 1 with 3554 viewsmonytowbray

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 18:08 - Jun 1 by tractordownsouth

Antifa contains violent elements that hijack legitimate protests and give them a bad name... they’re extremists and don’t represent the 99% of us who abhor fascism but they aren’t terrorists. If they are then so are the “very fine people” who marched alongside that white supremacist murderer in Charlottesville

antiFA is just an all encompassing term for movements that oppose fascism.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 18:37 - Jun 1 with 3530 viewsSwansea_Blue

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 18:28 - Jun 1 by monytowbray

antiFA is just an all encompassing term for movements that oppose fascism.

I don't think that's clear. Donald Trump certainly thinks that's the case, but more widely it seems to specifically refer to militant activists who undertake direct action. Although that's not a definitive definition either.

I'm anti-fascist, but I'm certainly not Antifa. I'm not going to rally round a flag with a pre-lockdown style face mask and start smashing things up because I'm too angry to communicate.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 18:49 - Jun 1 with 3492 viewsjaykay

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:08 - Jun 1 with 3459 viewsKropotkin123

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 16:10 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

You do understand that you can be antifascist and still condemn the thuggish and violent behaviour of Antifa

Next you'll be saying that if you condemn the Democratic People's Republic of Korea then you are opposing democracy.

Edit. Better put in the usual disclaimer that Trump is a c'nt etc etc.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 16:12]

I haven't read all the comments, so not sure if people resolve their differences with you post. But broadly speaking you are correct - Antifa is not the same as Anti-fascist.

"The antifa or ANTIFA movement in the United States is a left-wing, anti-fascist, militant political activist movement...". You don't need to be left-wing and complicit or sympathetic to violence to be Anti-fascist.

Now people can obviously have disagreements about how you label them as thugs. This is your personal value judgement.

Others may say that acting violently against the state or against fascists is acceptable, if the state incapable of protecting its citizens or indeed the institutionalised cause of violence against its citizens.

But to not recognise you original point seems disingenuous or lazy.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:29 - Jun 1 with 3418 viewsGlasgowBlue

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:08 - Jun 1 by Kropotkin123

I haven't read all the comments, so not sure if people resolve their differences with you post. But broadly speaking you are correct - Antifa is not the same as Anti-fascist.

"The antifa or ANTIFA movement in the United States is a left-wing, anti-fascist, militant political activist movement...". You don't need to be left-wing and complicit or sympathetic to violence to be Anti-fascist.

Now people can obviously have disagreements about how you label them as thugs. This is your personal value judgement.

Others may say that acting violently against the state or against fascists is acceptable, if the state incapable of protecting its citizens or indeed the institutionalised cause of violence against its citizens.

But to not recognise you original point seems disingenuous or lazy.

Sadly the abusives and the stirrers can't get past the poster and ignore what is posted.

Note the reaction to my post and that of TractorDownSouth who pretty much posted the same.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:32 - Jun 1 with 3405 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:29 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Sadly the abusives and the stirrers can't get past the poster and ignore what is posted.

Note the reaction to my post and that of TractorDownSouth who pretty much posted the same.

You mean where you kept ranting about middle class white boys? Don't worry, we all saw that. Also not something TractorDownSouth did. He's not in the lying and smearing business.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 19:35]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:33 - Jun 1 with 3405 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:29 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Do you think you may be exhibiting signs of some sort of victim syndrome! Why not address the gaping flaw in your argument....there is no such thing as a group called antiFA!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:36 - Jun 1 with 3394 viewsLankHenners

Probably because you put a dumb comparison in about North Korea.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:38 - Jun 1 with 3372 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 19:36 - Jun 1 by LankHenners

Probably because you put a dumb comparison in about North Korea.

He's gone full Balotelli in the victim stakes on this one.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 19:41]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:30 - Jun 1 with 3308 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 16:54 - Jun 1 by Bluesquid

Why do you have to start getting snide with the comments mate?

It's what certain members of the group do for some reason.

I've tried to call for people to refrain from making personal comments.

But to no avail.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:41 - Jun 1 with 3286 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:30 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

But to no avail.

Just as I've called for people to do some reading around a subject before spouting off.

Alas, it's a struggle we must both face.

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:47 - Jun 1 with 3272 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:41 - Jun 1 by SpruceMoose

Just as I've called for people to do some reading around a subject before spouting off.

Alas, it's a struggle we must both face.

Hi Spruce.

Hope you're well.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:49 - Jun 1 with 3266 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:47 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hi Spruce.

Hope you're well.

Not really, a lot of my friends and family are suffering right now. Thank you for your thoughts though, together we can make a more equitable world.

Be well yourself.

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:51 - Jun 1 with 3260 viewssyntaxerror

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:30 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

But to no avail.

You should choose your battles more wisely.

Bluesquid posted this, with no facts to back up his case:
"Still wouldn't surprise me if the majority of BAME Americans are against the whole anti fascist movement."

He didn't say Antifa, he said Anti Fascist .
So basically, he was saying he thinks most BAME Americans are accepting of, or at the very least, ambivalent to, fascism.

Are you sure you are backing the right horse here?
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 21:59]
This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:53 - Jun 1 with 3251 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:51 - Jun 1 by syntaxerror

"Still wouldn't surprise me if the majority of BAME Americans are against the whole anti fascist movement."

So basically, he was saying he thinks most BAME Americans are accepting of, or at the very least, ambivalent to, fascism.

Yet again my appeal to actually do some reading or research before voicing your opinions goes unheeded

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:04 - Jun 1 with 3230 viewssyntaxerror

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:53 - Jun 1 by SpruceMoose

Yet again my appeal to actually do some reading or research before voicing your opinions goes unheeded

Educating people is a slow process. But never give up.
I say that as a 50 year old veteran of anti-apartheid activism from the late 80s in South Africa.

I worry its going to kick off here this weekend too. Lock-down, BAME deaths from COVID being so disproportionate, Boris's casual racism, one law for the people and another for the elite. All it needs is a spark.
I hope that doesn't happen.
This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:06 - Jun 1 with 3225 viewsclive_baker

But to no avail.

I won't name names but there's certainly a handful on here that make this place completely unusable. They're utterly incapable of disagreeing with someone, without getting sarcastic / abusive / completely intolerant of others. It's incredible really that any of them get on in the real world. Perhaps they don't.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:07 - Jun 1 with 3219 viewsSwansea_Blue

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:51 - Jun 1 by syntaxerror

Well spotted, and this seems to be a recurring theme. Many people seem to be confused over the definitions. Some deliberately because they're trying to stir. Some because they don't know what they're talking about.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:19 - Jun 1 with 3185 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 21:49 - Jun 1 by SpruceMoose

Not really, a lot of my friends and family are suffering right now. Thank you for your thoughts though, together we can make a more equitable world.

Be well yourself.

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:20 - Jun 1 with 3182 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:06 - Jun 1 by clive_baker

I won't name names but there's certainly a handful on here that make this place completely unusable. They're utterly incapable of disagreeing with someone, without getting sarcastic / abusive / completely intolerant of others. It's incredible really that any of them get on in the real world. Perhaps they don't.

You've actually got it the wrong way round. In the real world people don't tend to stridently and confidently voice their baseless opinions to groups of people who clearly know more than them through profession or personal experience.

Should they somehow fail to read a room so spectacularly and to spout off, they don't tend to be obstinate for too long. It's rather embarrassing having to look people in the eye while they're wondering who this wind bag is.

But on a forum these people stick to their anonymous guns in the face of mounting evidence because it's more important to them to feel like they're not losing an argument than to know that they are correct.

Honestly if this place has one problem it's that people are too precious about their opinions and feelings when they should be precious about the accuracy of what they are saying.

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:21 - Jun 1 with 3185 viewsbazgammon

Antifa are Fascist. The behaviour of those smashing up businesses and attacking people who they don't agree with their politics with seems to kind of thing the nazis were doing in 1930's to their political opponents.

Poll: Lambert

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:22 - Jun 1 with 3176 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:21 - Jun 1 by bazgammon

Antifa are Fascist. The behaviour of those smashing up businesses and attacking people who they don't agree with their politics with seems to kind of thing the nazis were doing in 1930's to their political opponents.

An excellent case in point regarding my last post...

If your politics is racism, you deserve to be disagreed with vigorously.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 22:26]

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:27 - Jun 1 with 3161 viewsclive_baker

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:20 - Jun 1 by SpruceMoose

You've actually got it the wrong way round. In the real world people don't tend to stridently and confidently voice their baseless opinions to groups of people who clearly know more than them through profession or personal experience.

Should they somehow fail to read a room so spectacularly and to spout off, they don't tend to be obstinate for too long. It's rather embarrassing having to look people in the eye while they're wondering who this wind bag is.

But on a forum these people stick to their anonymous guns in the face of mounting evidence because it's more important to them to feel like they're not losing an argument than to know that they are correct.

Honestly if this place has one problem it's that people are too precious about their opinions and feelings when they should be precious about the accuracy of what they are saying.

Alternatively, there's a basic level of decency that should be extended to others without the need to resort to name calling and insults, that people wouldn't have the b0llocks to throw around to people's faces in the real world. I take your point, but it works both ways. Nobody tends to come out of it looking great.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:33 - Jun 1 with 3142 viewsSpruceMoose

This may blow your mind but if you oppose fascism... on 22:27 - Jun 1 by clive_baker

Alternatively, there's a basic level of decency that should be extended to others without the need to resort to name calling and insults, that people wouldn't have the b0llocks to throw around to people's faces in the real world. I take your point, but it works both ways. Nobody tends to come out of it looking great.

Perhaps you have no idea how exhausting it is repeatedly explaining a subject you know well to someone who doesn't, while they refuse to do you the courtesy of engaging with any of the resources you provide them with.

They're clearly motivated to talk about it, but too lazy to learn about it. How is that any less disrespectful than me eventually running out of patience and calling them a pillock? Patience only lasts so long.

Words have power, and it doesn't take much for falsehoods and inaccuracies to catch on as truths, and to be honest, if you do that to me in person, I'll happily call you a pillock there too. I don't need to be on a forum to respond to disrespect like that in that manner.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 22:35]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024