Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow, is this really illegal? 09:19 - Jun 6 with 8819 viewsBrixtonBlue

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:25 - Jun 6 with 1585 viewsKeno

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:24 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Is that an arrestable offence now?

a lot of TWTD posters better hope not!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:31 - Jun 6 with 1564 viewslongtimefan

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:24 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Is that an arrestable offence now?

If it was the forum pages of TWTD would be empty
Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:33 - Jun 6 with 1559 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:22 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

The irony, of course, is that when you normalise swear words they cease to be swear words. We've seen that with certain words in our lifetimes.

Also, context is important. She isn't meeting your mother or a 6 year old child. I imagine most people would cover it up if they were. She's on her way from a protest march, where in the context the comment on her t-shirt is justified.

Perhpas speak to a childcare expert about whether normalising sexualised bad language is good for kids.

But thats besides the point. Imposing your unlpeasantness on others is simply rude and a bit thoughtless. Its as simple as that. Where she came from isnt relevant to that- and in any event, the t shirt appears to have nothing to do with a BLM protest.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:40 - Jun 6 with 1545 viewsfactual_blue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 09:36 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

Or someone who is shocked that wearing an offensive t-shirt is deemed a criminal act and/or worthy of police time.

Or somebody who actually wants to have sexual intercourse with the Prime Minister.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:40 - Jun 6 with 1539 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:33 - Jun 6 by sparks

Perhpas speak to a childcare expert about whether normalising sexualised bad language is good for kids.

But thats besides the point. Imposing your unlpeasantness on others is simply rude and a bit thoughtless. Its as simple as that. Where she came from isnt relevant to that- and in any event, the t shirt appears to have nothing to do with a BLM protest.

You're saying the context isn't relevant?! She's not on her way to a primary school!

Also, saying the t-shirt is sexualised language is taking it rather literally. I'm pretty sure she isn't saying she wants to have sexual intercourse with Boris Johnson.

And a BLM protest has nothing to do with the racist Boris Johnson?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:41 - Jun 6 with 1534 viewsFunge

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:33 - Jun 6 by sparks

In agreement.

I went on a stag a couple of years ago in Budapest. Tbe best man had t shirts printed saying '(Groom) is finally getting married, the koont!'

I felt, er, like said when wearing the shirt, and unfortunately lost the shirt in a cab from the airport into the city.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 with 1523 viewsEwan_Oozami

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:21 - Jun 6 by WeWereZombies

Sorry, Dolly, but I don't think you brain is in gear at the moment. It is no leap at all. Of course, she is unlikely to be going to the local Con club but she might encounter people from a similar background as the local Con club on her way to and from the march.

This is such a simple concept I get exasperated having to explain it to you, it goes back to John Stuart Mill and his example of protesting about the Corn Laws being a good thing to do but not on the steps of a corn merchants house and in front of a mob ('On Liberty', published 1859) - I think most children get taught this one before they leave secondary education, don't they?

There are many other ways to protest using a t-shirt. I'm not offended by swear words personally, but to me, it shows lack of creativity in making the statement - think of the degrees of offensiveness of the following for example:
Feck Boris - not sure, cultural appropriation maybe?
Screw Boris - acceptable I think
Sod Boris - as is this
Bu99er Boris - offends most peoples' sensibilities I think
Blow Boris - as does this
Sack Boris - fine
Castrate Boris - also fine
Defenestrate Boris - tricky, but possible
Disembowel Boris - a bit Horrible Histories..
Bobbitt Boris - gets people thinking, now where do I know that from?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 with 1523 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:41 - Jun 6 by Funge

In agreement.

I went on a stag a couple of years ago in Budapest. Tbe best man had t shirts printed saying '(Groom) is finally getting married, the koont!'

I felt, er, like said when wearing the shirt, and unfortunately lost the shirt in a cab from the airport into the city.

Bit of a different context there though. You'd be going around the touristy bits of a capital city, where lots of different people of all ages would be.

This is a girl who's just left a protest march.

Login to get fewer ads

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:45 - Jun 6 with 1519 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:40 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

You're saying the context isn't relevant?! She's not on her way to a primary school!

Also, saying the t-shirt is sexualised language is taking it rather literally. I'm pretty sure she isn't saying she wants to have sexual intercourse with Boris Johnson.

And a BLM protest has nothing to do with the racist Boris Johnson?

Shes in public- thats the context.

Of course the F word is a sexualised swear word.

And BLM is primarily about american police abuse- I am not aware of any incidents related to Johnson.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:47 - Jun 6 with 1508 viewsvapour_trail

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 by Ewan_Oozami

There are many other ways to protest using a t-shirt. I'm not offended by swear words personally, but to me, it shows lack of creativity in making the statement - think of the degrees of offensiveness of the following for example:
Feck Boris - not sure, cultural appropriation maybe?
Screw Boris - acceptable I think
Sod Boris - as is this
Bu99er Boris - offends most peoples' sensibilities I think
Blow Boris - as does this
Sack Boris - fine
Castrate Boris - also fine
Defenestrate Boris - tricky, but possible
Disembowel Boris - a bit Horrible Histories..
Bobbitt Boris - gets people thinking, now where do I know that from?

Stick it up your Johnson.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:48 - Jun 6 with 1507 viewsWeWereZombies

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Bit of a different context there though. You'd be going around the touristy bits of a capital city, where lots of different people of all ages would be.

In an even bigger city with people from all walks of life in it...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:51 - Jun 6 with 1490 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:21 - Jun 6 by WeWereZombies

Sorry, Dolly, but I don't think you brain is in gear at the moment. It is no leap at all. Of course, she is unlikely to be going to the local Con club but she might encounter people from a similar background as the local Con club on her way to and from the march.

This is such a simple concept I get exasperated having to explain it to you, it goes back to John Stuart Mill and his example of protesting about the Corn Laws being a good thing to do but not on the steps of a corn merchants house and in front of a mob ('On Liberty', published 1859) - I think most children get taught this one before they leave secondary education, don't they?

My brain's in gear thanks, I just have a different opinion to you.

You're exaggerating to the nth degree to make your point, which shows it's on dodgy ground. She isn't doing the equivalent of protesting about the Corn Laws on the steps of a corn merchant's house. She's just left a protest march. She's wearing a jacket over the t-shirt, so I imagine when she's well away from the protest she's likely going to do it up.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:51 - Jun 6 with 1488 viewsFunge

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Hmm, dunno man.

Context here is secondary to the wider point that you're in direct interaction with Joe Public, some of whom probably don't need this in their faces.

Although, that said, this crap football club of mine has forced me into screaming all sorts of profanity in fine cities all over the country, and Norwich.

So, in summary, not sure.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:53 - Jun 6 with 1484 viewsfooters

Think the police probably have more important things to be concerned about. Discretion should have been used and that it wasn't is telling.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:54 - Jun 6 with 1468 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:53 - Jun 6 by footers

Think the police probably have more important things to be concerned about. Discretion should have been used and that it wasn't is telling.

Arguably it was- it was a quiet word. not as if they arrested her.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:56 - Jun 6 with 1471 viewsPhilTWTD

This reminded me of the Inspiral Carpets T-shirt so had a look for something about it and think the opening paragraph from this 2014 piece is interesting in the context of this discussion.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/12/inspiral-carpets-first-single-in-2
Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:56 - Jun 6 with 1455 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:45 - Jun 6 by sparks

And BLM is primarily about american police abuse- I am not aware of any incidents related to Johnson.

Johnson was challenged in PMQ's just the other day about the batons and tear gas we export to America, and was asked if we'd suspend this export due to the way they're being used. He basically said no. He was also asked to condemn Trump's inciting rhetoric and avoided the question.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:59 - Jun 6 with 1445 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:48 - Jun 6 by WeWereZombies

In an even bigger city with people from all walks of life in it...

During a lockdown when all the shops and bars are shut...

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:59 - Jun 6 with 1445 viewsfooters

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:54 - Jun 6 by sparks

Arguably it was- it was a quiet word. not as if they arrested her.

In the end. At the start it was quite plain the officer was implying she'd be arrested. Shouldn't have pulled her up on it in the first place. Total waste of time.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:59 - Jun 6 with 1431 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:59 - Jun 6 by footers

In the end. At the start it was quite plain the officer was implying she'd be arrested. Shouldn't have pulled her up on it in the first place. Total waste of time.

She was never going to be arrested. Just zip up and move on. If you desperately want everyone to see your attention seeking swear word, you can unzip 30 seconds later.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:01 - Jun 6 with 1424 viewsvapour_trail

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:45 - Jun 6 by sparks

BLM is clearly much broader than American police abuse, albeit that has been the trigger point for the current protests.

Dollers is correct, that having a racist prime minister bears scrutiny in that context.

That’s not a comment on the T-shirt.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:01 - Jun 6 with 1419 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:51 - Jun 6 by Funge

Hmm, dunno man.

Context here is secondary to the wider point that you're in direct interaction with Joe Public, some of whom probably don't need this in their faces.

Although, that said, this crap football club of mine has forced me into screaming all sorts of profanity in fine cities all over the country, and Norwich.

So, in summary, not sure.

It's a good point actually. People shout all kinds of obscenities at football matches where there ARE children present. I've never known anyone be arrested for singing "the referee's a w@nker."

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 with 1407 viewsfooters

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:59 - Jun 6 by sparks

She was never going to be arrested. Just zip up and move on. If you desperately want everyone to see your attention seeking swear word, you can unzip 30 seconds later.

Or don't pull someone up for nothing. Either way.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 with 1410 viewsbluelagos

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:56 - Jun 6 by PhilTWTD

This reminded me of the Inspiral Carpets T-shirt so had a look for something about it and think the opening paragraph from this 2014 piece is interesting in the context of this discussion.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/12/inspiral-carpets-first-single-in-2

I wonder if that copper goes around telling people to cover up there FCUK t-shirts? (Are they still a thing?)

Am sure some old lady somewhere will find those offensive too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 with 1405 viewsWeWereZombies

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:51 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

My brain's in gear thanks, I just have a different opinion to you.

You're exaggerating to the nth degree to make your point, which shows it's on dodgy ground. She isn't doing the equivalent of protesting about the Corn Laws on the steps of a corn merchant's house. She's just left a protest march. She's wearing a jacket over the t-shirt, so I imagine when she's well away from the protest she's likely going to do it up.

Well you are singularly failing to make a connection.

For what it is worth I also think it is a bit of a waste of police resources, but there again she is contributing to wasting those resources by not acknowledging that the officer has a point, she is prolonging an unnecessary confrontation. We do not know is she was intending to do up the jacket later; and neither does the police officer so he perhaps has some justification.

All of which goes to show the danger of provocation (on both parts) in an emotive atmosphere and I think that proves my point an establishes it as a clear act of reasoning which, like Black Lives, matters a great deal more than Trump like opinions.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024