Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow, is this really illegal? 09:19 - Jun 6 with 8817 viewsBrixtonBlue

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 with 1764 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:54 - Jun 6 by sparks

Arguably it was- it was a quiet word. not as if they arrested her.

She said at the end it was made quite clear she'd be arrested if she didn't cover up.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 with 1762 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:01 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

It's a good point actually. People shout all kinds of obscenities at football matches where there ARE children present. I've never known anyone be arrested for singing "the referee's a w@nker."

People going know they are going to be exposed to it and make a choice. Its not public.

That said, if you ahve been to a lot of football you will be well aware of the occasional flare ups beweten people in the crowd when someone is being particualrly agressive and sweary in a section where there are families.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:05 - Jun 6 with 1752 viewsvapour_trail

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

I wonder if that copper goes around telling people to cover up there FCUK t-shirts? (Are they still a thing?)

Am sure some old lady somewhere will find those offensive too.

I don’t think they are a thing any more are they.

Created quite a bit of controversy back in the day though. Clever way to amplify your brand budget, attracting untold levels of media coverage.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:06 - Jun 6 with 1747 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:56 - Jun 6 by PhilTWTD

This reminded me of the Inspiral Carpets T-shirt so had a look for something about it and think the opening paragraph from this 2014 piece is interesting in the context of this discussion.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/12/inspiral-carpets-first-single-in-2

Ha, indeed!

Interesting, too, that the F word can be spelled out in full (no asterisks) in a national newspaper. Maybe the editor of the Guardian should be arrested?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:07 - Jun 6 with 1738 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:05 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

I don’t think they are a thing any more are they.

Created quite a bit of controversy back in the day though. Clever way to amplify your brand budget, attracting untold levels of media coverage.

I thought they were pretty obnoxious tbh. Designed to upset old ladies.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:09 - Jun 6 with 1725 viewsvapour_trail

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:07 - Jun 6 by sparks

I thought they were pretty obnoxious tbh. Designed to upset old ladies.

Not designed to upset old ladies, designed to fast track a growth in sales, which was achieved.

You did look a bit of fcukwit wearing something with that plastered across the front though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:09 - Jun 6 with 1726 viewsFoD_Blue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Bit of a different context there though. You'd be going around the touristy bits of a capital city, where lots of different people of all ages would be.

This is a girl who's just left a protest march.

I thought that Regent street would be considered a touristy bit of London.
Personally I do not find the t-shirt offensive, but I understand how many people would find it so. I'm sure that parents do not want to have to explain to little Johnny what F**K BORIS means.
As a rock/metal fan, I have seen plenty of t-shirts on sale with profanity, and I have no problem with them being worn in the correct environment such as a festival or at a gig. But I have always felt it inappropriate to wear profanity in public.
Personally the only thing that has stopped me buying such t-shirts is that there would be self imposed limitations to where I could wear them.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:10 - Jun 6 with 1725 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 by sparks

People going know they are going to be exposed to it and make a choice. Its not public.

That said, if you ahve been to a lot of football you will be well aware of the occasional flare ups beweten people in the crowd when someone is being particualrly agressive and sweary in a section where there are families.

A football stadium isn't public?! That's news to me.

Login to get fewer ads

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:12 - Jun 6 with 1699 viewsbluelagos

Wow, is this really illegal? on 10:44 - Jun 6 by Ewan_Oozami

There are many other ways to protest using a t-shirt. I'm not offended by swear words personally, but to me, it shows lack of creativity in making the statement - think of the degrees of offensiveness of the following for example:
Feck Boris - not sure, cultural appropriation maybe?
Screw Boris - acceptable I think
Sod Boris - as is this
Bu99er Boris - offends most peoples' sensibilities I think
Blow Boris - as does this
Sack Boris - fine
Castrate Boris - also fine
Defenestrate Boris - tricky, but possible
Disembowel Boris - a bit Horrible Histories..
Bobbitt Boris - gets people thinking, now where do I know that from?

"Bolocks to Boris" would clearly be legal (Sex Pistols test case), get the point across of your views on BJ and also upset Boris supporters.

What's not to like?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:16 - Jun 6 with 1683 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:09 - Jun 6 by FoD_Blue

I thought that Regent street would be considered a touristy bit of London.
Personally I do not find the t-shirt offensive, but I understand how many people would find it so. I'm sure that parents do not want to have to explain to little Johnny what F**K BORIS means.
As a rock/metal fan, I have seen plenty of t-shirts on sale with profanity, and I have no problem with them being worn in the correct environment such as a festival or at a gig. But I have always felt it inappropriate to wear profanity in public.
Personally the only thing that has stopped me buying such t-shirts is that there would be self imposed limitations to where I could wear them.

Regent Street during lockdown where there are no shops and bars open, tourism is on hold, and she's just been part of a protest march.

She's also wearing a jacket over the top. I imagine if she's going somewhere where there are old ladies or children she's probably going to do it up.

Certainly, if I saw her outside a school or in the Darby & Joan club I wouldn't find her t-shirt acceptable.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:18 - Jun 6 with 1672 viewsFoD_Blue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

She said at the end it was made quite clear she'd be arrested if she didn't cover up.

Although conveniently not on the video, along with the start of the confrontation.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:20 - Jun 6 with 1667 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:18 - Jun 6 by FoD_Blue

Although conveniently not on the video, along with the start of the confrontation.

Quite.

The police were not agressive or unpleasant. They may just have made a passing comment to her int he first place, to which she diecided she wanted a lengthy response...

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:33 - Jun 6 with 1656 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:20 - Jun 6 by sparks

Quite.

The police were not agressive or unpleasant. They may just have made a passing comment to her int he first place, to which she diecided she wanted a lengthy response...

Her phone went off, you can clearly hear it.

It's also clear they were going to arrest her if she didn't comply.

Anyway, I've said my bit, I'm off for a run in my N.W.A t-shirt.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:37 - Jun 6 with 1649 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:33 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

My phone doesnt stop recording when it rings.

Either way- we dont know. I am highly sceptical that the initial appraoch was anything more than gentle advice / request, or that she was in any danger of arrest- unless she because obnoxious.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:38 - Jun 6 with 1646 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:37 - Jun 6 by sparks

My phone doesnt stop recording when it rings.

Either way- we dont know. I am highly sceptical that the initial appraoch was anything more than gentle advice / request, or that she was in any danger of arrest- unless she because obnoxious.

No, but you stop to answer it...

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:41 - Jun 6 with 1640 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:38 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

No, but you stop to answer it...

Not if I am in the middle of a conversation with a policeman who is threatening seriously to arrest me for a trivial offence- and I was sufficiently concerned about the situation to be videoing it...

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:42 - Jun 6 with 1636 viewsWeWereZombies

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:03 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

I wonder if that copper goes around telling people to cover up there FCUK t-shirts? (Are they still a thing?)

Am sure some old lady somewhere will find those offensive too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Connection_(clothing)#FCUK_branding_controv

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:44 - Jun 6 with 1630 viewsWD19

Wow, is this really illegal? on 09:36 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

Or someone who is shocked that wearing an offensive t-shirt is deemed a criminal act and/or worthy of police time.

Call me sceptical, but I think the chances of a community Bobby going out of his way to intercept a quiet lass going about her business with a rude T-shirt are slim.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:45 - Jun 6 with 1627 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:41 - Jun 6 by sparks

Not if I am in the middle of a conversation with a policeman who is threatening seriously to arrest me for a trivial offence- and I was sufficiently concerned about the situation to be videoing it...

Depends, if it was my mum I'd answer.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:46 - Jun 6 with 1622 viewssparks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:45 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Depends, if it was my mum I'd answer.

Then you werent really worried about the situation :-) As this woman plainly wasnt.

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:57 - Jun 6 with 1609 viewsFoD_Blue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:33 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

I can clearly hear some music, is that her ringtone? It could have been cleverly edited over the video to give here a convenient excuse to end before the part where she says 'Sorry Officer' and zips up her jacket.
I neither fully support her or the Police in this video, but there are too many unknowns to be able to make an informed opinion.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 12:00 - Jun 6 with 1601 viewsreusersfreekicks

Wow, is this really illegal? on 09:36 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

Or someone who is shocked that wearing an offensive t-shirt is deemed a criminal act and/or worthy of police time.

This. What a waste of police time and effort. Nonsense. Police need to get their act together stopping large gatherings everywhere....
Wow, is this really illegal? on 12:01 - Jun 6 with 1605 viewsBasuco

This reminds me of a T shirt I saw on Camden market a few years ago which said, "I f**k Nuns" There were quite a few more along the same lines.
Wow, is this really illegal? on 12:15 - Jun 6 with 1577 viewspointofblue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 11:16 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Regent Street during lockdown where there are no shops and bars open, tourism is on hold, and she's just been part of a protest march.

She's also wearing a jacket over the top. I imagine if she's going somewhere where there are old ladies or children she's probably going to do it up.

Certainly, if I saw her outside a school or in the Darby & Joan club I wouldn't find her t-shirt acceptable.

Though there may be children at the protest? A couple of forum members have already said they were considering attending with the kids, or their children wanted to go.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Wow, is this really illegal? on 12:21 - Jun 6 with 1568 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wow, is this really illegal? on 12:01 - Jun 6 by Basuco

This reminds me of a T shirt I saw on Camden market a few years ago which said, "I f**k Nuns" There were quite a few more along the same lines.

There are loads like it. This is only bothering poeople becasue of Cult of Boris, I suspect.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024