Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal 09:14 - Jun 14 with 4256 viewsDubtractor

Even now 6 months later I'm still incredulous.

Our club is run, and managed, by clowns.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 11:45 - Jun 14 with 1483 viewsArnieM

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 10:12 - Jun 14 by LankHenners

When I saw it on Twitter I assumed someone had retweeted an old news story of him signing his original contract as a stupid joke. Then I realised it wasn’t a retweet so I genuinely thought someone with a verified account I followed had changed their name and avi to mimic the club’s account. Only a third inspection confirmed it was real.

Lambert totally pulled the wool over Evans’ eyes - from what was said you can gather that it was initially discussed after our good run at the start of the season, so Lambert used a set of good results in a short amount of time as proof he should get a long term deal. That it got dragged out and eventually announced after we hadn’t won a game in nearly 2 months made it worse.

The whole thing shows what a charlatan Lambert is (the cynical view here is that Lambert surprised himself with our good start and struck while the iron was hot, knowing he hasn’t lasted long at any of his jobs since Norwich) and what a bad decision maker Evans is.

Genuinely think any other club in the league would have sacked their manager if they had two months of results and performances like we did. Joke of a decision from a joke of a club.

At the time Lambert was in discussions with Evans ( at least a month b4 the contract was signed ), Town’s stock was high in League One. Lambert was being linked with other possible Clubs who had sacked their managers, and if you look at that open letter from Lambert to the fans , it was clear what a good job he had done at bringing the club and fans together. The form went out the window not long after that contract was signed.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:01 - Jun 14 with 1462 viewsITFC_Forever

And on top of everything, a new contract is one thing... but FIVE years!!!

There’s only a handful of managers in the game who would deserve that. Clough at Burton (yes, I know he’s gone now), Klopp, Wilder, Howe, Guardiola and I’m struggling to think of many more.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:01 - Jun 14 with 1459 viewsWeWereZombies

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 11:43 - Jun 14 by Bluefish

so keep throwing more players at it?

He should have that squad top 2 easily, anything less is failure. 11th is beyond comprehension as failure

Almost the opposite. Obviously Sir Bobby's getting through a season using just fourteen players is a touchstone but the BBC Scotland documentary on the Lisbon Lions has also been in mind again of late, not just because the entire team were born within thirty miles of Celtic's ground. Like Robson's teams there was a strong element of the players having developed together - at first in the reserves and then by rapid introduction into the first team. Celtic even had, protestant, Jock Stein as the manager of the reserve team before he went off (due to his religion proving to be a block for a backward looking board of directors) and honed his craft at less prestigious Dunfermline and Hibernian, before returning to Celtic when they realised that he was the best manager out there. And he inherited the squad he had himself built in the reserves.

But football is different now you say? You need to throw money at it (the laughingly erroneous investment that some refer to)?

Post Covid-19 football is going to be different again, it may not be the manager, or those players that remain, that needs to be the first thing to change.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:08 - Jun 14 with 1448 viewsBluefish

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:01 - Jun 14 by ITFC_Forever

There’s only a handful of managers in the game who would deserve that. Clough at Burton (yes, I know he’s gone now), Klopp, Wilder, Howe, Guardiola and I’m struggling to think of many more.

Over achieving and successful managers. Lambert is an ultimate failure

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:18 - Jun 14 with 1436 viewsitfcjoe

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:26 - Jun 14 by ITFC_Forever

Can remember arriving courtesy of Joe at Wycombe on New Year’s Day just as someone sent me the news.

We thought it was some kind of bad joke from an attention-seeking clown who had gone to the trouble of faking a press release.
Turned out it was the other clowns you mention telling the truth.

One player who didn't travel sent it round the players WhatsApp group and they all thought it was a joke

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:35 - Jun 14 with 1409 viewsPJH

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:26 - Jun 14 by ITFC_Forever

Can remember arriving courtesy of Joe at Wycombe on New Year’s Day just as someone sent me the news.

We thought it was some kind of bad joke from an attention-seeking clown who had gone to the trouble of faking a press release.
Turned out it was the other clowns you mention telling the truth.

Yes, I overheard two blokes at Wycombe talking about a new long term contract for somebody but I did not know they were talking about PL.
Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:40 - Jun 14 with 1394 viewsBlueBadger

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 11:42 - Jun 14 by Bluefish

not many weeks before he was saying he wasn't sure how secure his future was here, the slide had started by then and the performances had been poor his entire time. He should have been long gone after lincoln and that was before the contract announcement

He should have been gone by May last year...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:52 - Jun 14 with 1380 viewsitfcjoe

I think there is a clear timeline to all this.

Ipswich flying high

Sunderland sack Jack Ross, and make an enquiry about Lambert

Evans rebuffs this, then as normal when this sort of things happen talks re new deal start

Form begins to fall off a cliff and it gets held up

Lambert has his post match outburst on Boxing Day, or at Lincoln

Was basically an ultimatum to Evans, either I sign this deal that has gone back and forth or I walk

He subsequently signs it.

I've heard from pretty good sources we'd spoke to Warnock in December, so think there was a real chance he went rather than the deal get signed.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:56 - Jun 14 with 1357 viewsWeWereZombies

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:01 - Jun 14 by ITFC_Forever

This is from 'Dickie Bird's Britain' (page 41):

'There was one occasion when the Town* had lost four in a row and John [Cobbold] said to Bobby [Robson], 'Are you worried?' Bobby replied, 'No, but I am concerned.' The chairman boomed, 'Fine. That's all right then. As long as you're concerned,' and there and then offered to extend his manager's contract by a further two years.
Said Bobby, 'I was staggered. But he meant it. He did it. Eventually he put me on a ten-year contract. And when England came in for me in the middle of that ten years he offered me another ten years on top of that to stay.'

*Bird actually uses a two word slang name for us that got popularised by The Sun. I am usually meticulous in transcribing quotes word for word but. I'm sorry, I cannot use the TB thing, it demeans us.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 13:03]

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 13:05 - Jun 14 with 1344 viewsRadlett_blue

Hard to see why these long term contracts for managers make sense as typical tenure is now about 18 months. If a manager wants to walk, the reality these days is also that a club can't keep him against his will, contract or no contract.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 13:26 - Jun 14 with 1310 viewsWeWereZombies

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 13:05 - Jun 14 by Radlett_blue

Hard to see why these long term contracts for managers make sense as typical tenure is now about 18 months. If a manager wants to walk, the reality these days is also that a club can't keep him against his will, contract or no contract.

But walking involves loss of income, possibly legal action too, so they do not do it lightly. So contracts carry a variety of carrot and stick clauses to make the decision to walk away harder.

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 13:34 - Jun 14 with 1294 viewsBluefish

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 12:52 - Jun 14 by itfcjoe

I think there is a clear timeline to all this.

Ipswich flying high

Sunderland sack Jack Ross, and make an enquiry about Lambert

Evans rebuffs this, then as normal when this sort of things happen talks re new deal start

Form begins to fall off a cliff and it gets held up

Lambert has his post match outburst on Boxing Day, or at Lincoln

Was basically an ultimatum to Evans, either I sign this deal that has gone back and forth or I walk

He subsequently signs it.

I've heard from pretty good sources we'd spoke to Warnock in December, so think there was a real chance he went rather than the deal get signed.

You can imagine the char between evans and O'Neil

PRP wants a new long term contract

But he is useless and a failure. Why on earth would we?

The fans will go mental if he walks. Go to the game and listen, they sing his name for virtually the whole match. The players don't really even have any songs anymore.

But surely they can see how bad the performances are and the lack of tactics?

They don't want to. He lost every game last season but they loved him and said how happy they are because of improved performances being more important than results or relegation.

What about this season?

Now they say the results are all that matter because we are near the top

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 13:47 - Jun 14 with 1276 viewsChrisd

The length and the timing of the contract I still find baffling. Prior to the confirmation he had signed this deal (wasn't it before k/o at Wycombe on New Year's Day?) our form was really patchy, I would've said he was seriously under the pump that his job was on the line and then the news broke.....simply staggering, but then that's ME's Ipswich unfortunately.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 13:52]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 14:50 - Jun 14 with 1235 viewsGuthrum

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 11:42 - Jun 14 by Bluefish

not many weeks before he was saying he wasn't sure how secure his future was here, the slide had started by then and the performances had been poor his entire time. He should have been long gone after lincoln and that was before the contract announcement

Allegedly the contract was agreed some considerable time before the announcement.

Tho why they delayed weeks before going public is another bizarre element of this situation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 15:12 - Jun 14 with 1215 viewsDubtractor

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 14:50 - Jun 14 by Guthrum

Allegedly the contract was agreed some considerable time before the announcement.

Tho why they delayed weeks before going public is another bizarre element of this situation.

But it would still have been inexplicable (IMO) to give a 5 year deal when we were in form. We'd just been relegated as an utter shambles and have a shortish run of good form - absolutely bonkers even then to give a 5 year deal to the manager who took us down.

It is as if Evans was completely blinded by our first run of wins in 10 years and got over excited.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 15:19 - Jun 14 with 1200 viewsJimmyJazz

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 15:12 - Jun 14 by Dubtractor

But it would still have been inexplicable (IMO) to give a 5 year deal when we were in form. We'd just been relegated as an utter shambles and have a shortish run of good form - absolutely bonkers even then to give a 5 year deal to the manager who took us down.

It is as if Evans was completely blinded by our first run of wins in 10 years and got over excited.

Maybe he believed all those 100 Points 100 Goals soundbites

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 21:08 - Jun 14 with 1131 viewsYallop

Lambert lived in Leicester and refused to move here without a longer deal.

He got the deal and he's just moved into his new house. Family as well.
Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 00:22 - Jun 15 with 1084 viewspatrickswell

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 15:12 - Jun 14 by Dubtractor

Evans doesn’t get over-excited. If he had, then McCarthy would have had money - serious money - made available to him in the 3 Januarys in which we found ourselves in the top 6.

I think Evans just wants to wash his hands of it. The end of the McCarthy era meant that he had to do some real strategic thinking about how to take the club forward and under what conditions. Hurst, Ross, Lampard and Potter all filled the brief of what a post-McCarthy manager should have been. But Lampard and Potter could see that Evans’s model would set them up to fail and Evans’s own ineptitude meant he lost out on Ross. He employed a man with a reputation for building clubs up, but in practice Hurst’s arrogance and chronic man-management coupled with disastrous transfer dealings meant he had to get rid of him before he had a mutiny on his hands. Lambert’s performance was no better than Hurst’s statistically, but he managed to persuade the fans to clap, cheer and sing the club out through the trapdoor, so must be doing something right. We have a good start to the season - nail him down so I don’t have to think about it anymore says Evans and as always under him, it goes horrifically badly.
On present progress, Evans will stop coming to games soon, for his own safety. he keeps the club on life support, but the abuse that’s visited upon it by his decisions and judgements has been criminal.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 19:53]
Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 07:03 - Jun 15 with 1032 viewsITFC_Forever

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 00:22 - Jun 15 by patrickswell

Evans doesn’t get over-excited. If he had, then McCarthy would have had money - serious money - made available to him in the 3 Januarys in which we found ourselves in the top 6.

I think Evans just wants to wash his hands of it. The end of the McCarthy era meant that he had to do some real strategic thinking about how to take the club forward and under what conditions. Hurst, Ross, Lampard and Potter all filled the brief of what a post-McCarthy manager should have been. But Lampard and Potter could see that Evans’s model would set them up to fail and Evans’s own ineptitude meant he lost out on Ross. He employed a man with a reputation for building clubs up, but in practice Hurst’s arrogance and chronic man-management coupled with disastrous transfer dealings meant he had to get rid of him before he had a mutiny on his hands. Lambert’s performance was no better than Hurst’s statistically, but he managed to persuade the fans to clap, cheer and sing the club out through the trapdoor, so must be doing something right. We have a good start to the season - nail him down so I don’t have to think about it anymore says Evans and as always under him, it goes horrifically badly.
On present progress, Evans will stop coming to games soon, for his own safety. he keeps the club on life support, but the abuse that’s visited upon it by his decisions and judgements has been criminal.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 19:53]

ME will stop coming to games for his own safety?!?

Nonsense. Everyone has an opinion as to how poor or otherwise his tenure has been, but to suggest his personal safety is at risk is incorrect. Thankfully we’re not that sort of club.

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 08:01 - Jun 15 with 1011 viewsWeWereZombies

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 07:03 - Jun 15 by ITFC_Forever

Nonsense. Everyone has an opinion as to how poor or otherwise his tenure has been, but to suggest his personal safety is at risk is incorrect. Thankfully we’re not that sort of club.

True, but the rest of patrickswell's post had some good points, didn't it?

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:15 - Jun 15 with 1002 viewspatrickswell

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 07:03 - Jun 15 by ITFC_Forever

Damn Internet dropped just as I was hitting Post!

If Ipswich continue to decline in the way that they have over the last two seasons, then the toxicity will only increase and it will start to hone in on Evans. It was already starting to at the Fleetwood game and the mixture of the suspension of football and the likelihood of a restart behind closed doors/in front of reduced numbers gives him a little breathing space. He needs the club to have a good season next year. Even a loss in the play-offs could be construed as genuine progress when set alongside the majority of the “achievements” in his ownership.

No, we’re not that sort of club. But then we’ve never seen Town fall to the depths that it has until Marcus Evans came in to our story. His decisions, or non-decisions in the case of capitalising on where the club was at after 2014/15, have played a huge part in the decline of the club’s standing. If it continues, something will give. If it does there will be one less box in use in the Co-Op Middle tier.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 8:35]
Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:21 - Jun 15 with 964 viewsITFC_Forever

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 08:01 - Jun 15 by WeWereZombies

True, but the rest of patrickswell's post had some good points, didn't it?

Yes, it did.

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:27 - Jun 15 with 959 viewsSwansea_Blue

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:54 - Jun 14 by footers

One of those targets was Wickham on loan ffs. The bloke's lost the plot.

I'm still annoyed about that, as it distracted them from getting Lewandowski in.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:29 - Jun 15 with 961 viewsPhilTWTD

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 13:47 - Jun 14 by Chrisd

The length and the timing of the contract I still find baffling. Prior to the confirmation he had signed this deal (wasn't it before k/o at Wycombe on New Year's Day?) our form was really patchy, I would've said he was seriously under the pump that his job was on the line and then the news broke.....simply staggering, but then that's ME's Ipswich unfortunately.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 13:52]

The deal with PL had been done a few weeks previously when we were riding high. The delay in actually signing was caused by negotiating deals with the staff, some of whom are on similar terms lenght-wise to PL, some not as they want the freedom to move on and get their own management jobs if they come up.

As you say, by the time the deals were signed the position had changed and it actually seemed more likely PL would depart at that point following his Boxing Day press conference, which presumably was aimed at putting pressure on ME to get the staff's deals sorted.
Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:45 - Jun 15 with 925 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Still can't get my head around the fact Evans gave Lambert a 5 year deal on 09:50 - Jun 14 by JimmyJazz

Surely that was eclipsed when he picked Skuglas + Hyam at home to a hapless Rotherham? Didn't Leon Best score the winner for them that day?

That was hugely frustrating however going into that game we were 8th in the Championship and 1 point off the playoffs

We have just finished 11th in the third division

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024