Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement 18:27 - Jun 21 with 7083 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you couple this with the fact the last time this country voted in a Government remotely left of centre was well over 40 years ago, I take it we live in an openly racist country.

How can caring about black people being murdered by the police and institutional racism generally be a "hard left" issue? How can we repeatedly elect Governments that support this ideology?

Stephen Lawrence, Dalian Atkinson, George Floyd, I will not keep quiet. Tonight I am ashamed to be British. I want to be proud of my country but it has been taken over by racist xenophobes.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:51 - Jun 21 with 2609 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:35 - Jun 21 by Dubtractor

This was why brexit annoyed me so much. In or out of Europe I can deal with, but the way that the vote was courted and won stirred all of this up. It legitimised the sort of crap that people now feel confident to spout online, or in real life.

The truth is we are leaving the EU because the Conservative Party was haemorrhaging too much support to the right. In order to regain that support Cameron held the referendum. A referendum that was fought and won by Farage and colleagues. If they had been able to effectively silence Farage and the clearly racist contingent and had won then you are absolutely correct. Forget Russian influence and "had enough of experts" and all that (which is bad enough) but we are leaving because of the racists. Many of those who voted leave may well not be racist but they are very comfortable in bed with them.

Off the back of this we have a Conservative Party that has decimated the right of politics and gains votes from everything from the centre through to the extreme right. They are opposed by plenty of parties that together split the vote from anyone centre or left of centre - the LibDems, Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymry and Labour. And every election the Conservatives ensure they don't lose too much of the centre to the LibDems by shouting "don't vote for them or you will get a Lib-Lab pact".

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 21:33 - Jun 21 with 2568 viewsSwansea_Blue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:59 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

we have not walked into fascism, awake or asleep. that's silly and it detracts form otherwise sensible points. it is a tiny minority who would deny that black lives matter - or that it is an important statement in these current times. one of the good things the BLM spokespeople have been doing is trying to build unity and common purpose, not trying to create division where none exists. there's no point in being edgy by looking for racists and imaginary fascists when the vast majority agree that we need to come together in restating that black lives matter.

We're not far off. Whether it's strictly 'fascism' or not is open to debate (and greater minds than us have been arguing over what fascism is for decades), and I don't think arguments on semantics help and they can be used to derail the discussion, but we've certainly got an issue with racism, xenophobia and nationalist, exceptionalist propaganda. It's getting very close to the definition of fascism).

But let's imagine for a moment that it's not fascism. We still have an issue with an incredibly ugly, narrow-minded world view that is far from the minority. We're looking at about 20% of the population who have 'suspect' views based on what I've seen from various surveys into racism. And it's been growing. Given our government have had openly xenophobic policies, there's a good chance the support is a lot higher.

I do think the BLM movement is helping crystalise what's going on though. It's so obviously a black and white issue (excuse the pun) there's nowhere to hide. You're either rightly behind this or, by definition, you don't think black lives matter. I suspect there are many who support BLM, but who have also been supporting less overt racism and xenophobia without realising it (anyone who supports this particular version of the Tories, Farage and the likes of Yaxley-Lenon/Hatie Kopkins falls into this category, as they are all unequivocally xenophobic and mostly racist).

I'd like to think that the BLM movement will refocus a few minds and make people question why they've been listening to the aforementioned types who've been pushing an anti-foreigner agenda for far too long.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 21:40 - Jun 21 with 2567 viewsSwansea_Blue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:51 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

The truth is we are leaving the EU because the Conservative Party was haemorrhaging too much support to the right. In order to regain that support Cameron held the referendum. A referendum that was fought and won by Farage and colleagues. If they had been able to effectively silence Farage and the clearly racist contingent and had won then you are absolutely correct. Forget Russian influence and "had enough of experts" and all that (which is bad enough) but we are leaving because of the racists. Many of those who voted leave may well not be racist but they are very comfortable in bed with them.

Off the back of this we have a Conservative Party that has decimated the right of politics and gains votes from everything from the centre through to the extreme right. They are opposed by plenty of parties that together split the vote from anyone centre or left of centre - the LibDems, Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymry and Labour. And every election the Conservatives ensure they don't lose too much of the centre to the LibDems by shouting "don't vote for them or you will get a Lib-Lab pact".

Spot on. And it goes back beyond that. Yes the Tories were scared of the voter share Farage was building, but Cameron appeased the europhobic headbangers much earlier and promised them he'd rip up our long-standing and well respected position in the European Parliament ....because he wanted to guarantee their votes for his leadership campaign. Which, in the end he didn't need in any case.

Sadly, this has all been about self interest and party interest. The national interest has never come into it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 21:43 - Jun 21 with 2563 viewseireblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:15 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

A bit strong. No need to self-flagellate for the actions of others.

Are you saying that Dalian Atkinson was murdered?

I think you're last comment is not correct. However, this will be twisted and shot down with a whole raft of assumptions placed where they do not belong nor are required.

Every country has racist elements. It's something you will never eradicate. Never. Well, unless you like the idea of Orwell's 1984 that is.
If you really think this country is that bad then you've been on the Kool Aid or sucking on BLM propaganda chews.

We are in a good place compared to the majority of the former Eastern block and that's just close to home.

I'll now let the trolls which stalk me twist and throw baseless insults.

Racism is a product of humans and the slave trade.

It was a way of categorising the worth of different humans.

The classification of humans into “races” with specific desirable or undesirable traits was an invention of people in power.

If it can be invented by humans, to control other humans, it can be irradiated by humans.

Seems to me toppling a statue of a slave trader seems to have started off a degree of introspection. Which is a very good thing.

You maybe in a good place, but you are a white middle class male.

The “poor me” at the end of your post, is somewhat graceless.
According to comments I read BLM is a on 21:46 - Jun 21 with 2559 viewsStokieBlue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:42 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I made the mistake of engaging on Yahoo comments. What depresses me is not the racist xenophobes who comment but the fact that they get 50+ likes. Any challenge goes fairly much unnoticed. I feel TWTD is a left-of-centre echo chamber. There are a few dissenting voices (most of whom are unable to argue their case when challenged to). I appreciate I can come on here and feel there is some hope. The same with my echo chambers on social media. But the electorate has clearly demonstrated we are a minority.

I convince myself that now everyone who votes Conservative or for Brexit is a racist but then all the evidence begins to suggest otherwise. At the very least they are comfortable in bed with them. We have slept-walked into Fascism. It is time for every decent white individual to loudly shout that we support BLM.

"We have slept-walked into Fascism"

I hate this phrase. There are massive problems in this country and in the world but the fact you are allowed to point that out, discuss them and protest against them means we are nowhere near fascism.

In a fascist state opinion counter the party line is squashed and the perpetrators sent somewhere nasty. I cite the Uighurs as an example of this and to compare the UK to that is simply incorrect.

What we do have is a decent amount of the population who are bigoted and unfortunately just a bit thick. They are short on knowledge and totally unable to think critically about any situation. Given this they are also easily lead by people cleverer than them with agendas and unsavoury views.

You are totally correct to call them out and to hope that people can take them on both intellectually and politically. We all need to do this and you've rightly pointed out that people on here are excellent at doing so.

Citing that we are in a fascist state detracts from that goal in my opinion. Interestingly a friend of my who is a very intelligent person but seemingly and very unfortunately more right-wing by the day said that we were now in a fascist state due to the fact that "lefties" shout everyone down and do things counter to the law (pulling down statues). Quite interesting that two opposing viewpoints can both be wrong about the same statement.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

According to comments I read BLM is a on 22:08 - Jun 21 with 2520 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 21:33 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

We're not far off. Whether it's strictly 'fascism' or not is open to debate (and greater minds than us have been arguing over what fascism is for decades), and I don't think arguments on semantics help and they can be used to derail the discussion, but we've certainly got an issue with racism, xenophobia and nationalist, exceptionalist propaganda. It's getting very close to the definition of fascism).

But let's imagine for a moment that it's not fascism. We still have an issue with an incredibly ugly, narrow-minded world view that is far from the minority. We're looking at about 20% of the population who have 'suspect' views based on what I've seen from various surveys into racism. And it's been growing. Given our government have had openly xenophobic policies, there's a good chance the support is a lot higher.

I do think the BLM movement is helping crystalise what's going on though. It's so obviously a black and white issue (excuse the pun) there's nowhere to hide. You're either rightly behind this or, by definition, you don't think black lives matter. I suspect there are many who support BLM, but who have also been supporting less overt racism and xenophobia without realising it (anyone who supports this particular version of the Tories, Farage and the likes of Yaxley-Lenon/Hatie Kopkins falls into this category, as they are all unequivocally xenophobic and mostly racist).

I'd like to think that the BLM movement will refocus a few minds and make people question why they've been listening to the aforementioned types who've been pushing an anti-foreigner agenda for far too long.

we're a very long way off. it's getting nowhere near a definition of fascism. there are issues with racism and inequality, but the dominant majority in this country are tolerant, inclusive and not racist. people who are trying to make this into a divisive issue - and want to build your 20% minority into something more - are doing so for their own purposes.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 22:08]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

According to comments I read BLM is a on 22:13 - Jun 21 with 2512 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:33 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

The institutional racism is what leads to individual officers over-reacting when faced with a non-compliant black man in a way they do not appear to when faced with a non-compliant white man. If you need more evidence, there are plenty of cases. After Stephen Lawrence's murder was not properly investigated an official inquiry declared the met police to be institutionally racist. I do not see sufficient evidence that has changed.

It does not mean every police officer is racist, far from it. But there is too much racist practice that goes on unchallenged. If one thing is learnt from this, please can every decent human being take a stand when they see it and not stay silent.

there is huge evidence that the met has changed in the 20 years since the macpherson report. in terms of race, deaths in custody reflect the pattern or arrests. every one is a tragedy and every one is independently investigated.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 22:16]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

According to comments I read BLM is a on 23:03 - Jun 21 with 2472 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a on 21:46 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

"We have slept-walked into Fascism"

I hate this phrase. There are massive problems in this country and in the world but the fact you are allowed to point that out, discuss them and protest against them means we are nowhere near fascism.

In a fascist state opinion counter the party line is squashed and the perpetrators sent somewhere nasty. I cite the Uighurs as an example of this and to compare the UK to that is simply incorrect.

What we do have is a decent amount of the population who are bigoted and unfortunately just a bit thick. They are short on knowledge and totally unable to think critically about any situation. Given this they are also easily lead by people cleverer than them with agendas and unsavoury views.

You are totally correct to call them out and to hope that people can take them on both intellectually and politically. We all need to do this and you've rightly pointed out that people on here are excellent at doing so.

Citing that we are in a fascist state detracts from that goal in my opinion. Interestingly a friend of my who is a very intelligent person but seemingly and very unfortunately more right-wing by the day said that we were now in a fascist state due to the fact that "lefties" shout everyone down and do things counter to the law (pulling down statues). Quite interesting that two opposing viewpoints can both be wrong about the same statement.

SB

Thanks, Stokie.

At last a reasonable challenge to the statement. I accept your point about a fascist state and we are not there. I therefore accept I was wrong to use that phrase.

What's your latest image of? EDIT: Is it Saturn? My Google search suggests a Cassini image of Saturn.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 23:14]

Login to get fewer ads

According to comments I read BLM is a on 23:21 - Jun 21 with 2451 viewsStokieBlue

According to comments I read BLM is a on 23:03 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Thanks, Stokie.

At last a reasonable challenge to the statement. I accept your point about a fascist state and we are not there. I therefore accept I was wrong to use that phrase.

What's your latest image of? EDIT: Is it Saturn? My Google search suggests a Cassini image of Saturn.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 23:14]

You're spot on, it's am image of Saturn where it's obscured the sun from Cassini thus allowing the camera to capture very feint rings which aren't easily visible.

SB

Edit: Rather pleasing image of the Galilean moons of Jupiter I just took although hard to get a good one in central London with a rubbish telescope and a mobile phone.

[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 0:01]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 23:21 - Jun 21 with 2451 viewsHerbivore

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:59 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

we have not walked into fascism, awake or asleep. that's silly and it detracts form otherwise sensible points. it is a tiny minority who would deny that black lives matter - or that it is an important statement in these current times. one of the good things the BLM spokespeople have been doing is trying to build unity and common purpose, not trying to create division where none exists. there's no point in being edgy by looking for racists and imaginary fascists when the vast majority agree that we need to come together in restating that black lives matter.

You have your eyes closed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 23:36 - Jun 21 with 2435 viewsHerbivore

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:49 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

My comment about the chews was meant in a light hearted manner. I'm sorry if that's not come across. No offence meant.

I agree that racism exists. A friend of ours, black, told me of what happened to her in the 80/90/00 in London and I almost cried.
I've also seen it in the Army in the early 90's.

It's here and I agree we do need to do whatever we can to eradicate it.

I just don't see what will be gained by hacking off people by tearing down statues and denigrating war memorials.
Our history is cast in stone. We cannot change it nor should we spend our lives apologising for it. The decisions taken then where in a different context, world, views, the whole gambit was different. I do get tired of firms and people feeling the need to apologise and kick themselves for the decisions made a very long time ago.

That won't change anything.

Again, I really didn't mean to offend.

I get tired of racism rather than people apologising for racism. Each to their own I guess.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 00:04 - Jun 22 with 2411 viewsJimmyJazz

BLM is a hard left movement that has the desecration of statues and therefore our history as one of it's prime aims. Anyone saying that is obviously trying to discredit the BLM movement. Hard left? That would be because the last election seemed to demonstrate a resounding defeat for hard left politics, so would therefore gain support from the majority of the nation. Attacking our history? Again, isn't this kind of reporting being ramped up to gain more anti-BLM support? As people have said, do BLM really want to attack war memorials and similar monuments?

TBH if the aim was really to kick over or grafitti statues then surely the time to do it would be during the night, preferably the night before a protest? The Alt-Right defending statues is an excuse to attempt to be seen doing the honourable thing.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

According to comments I read BLM is a on 06:27 - Jun 22 with 2343 viewsbluelagos

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:15 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

A bit strong. No need to self-flagellate for the actions of others.

Are you saying that Dalian Atkinson was murdered?

I think you're last comment is not correct. However, this will be twisted and shot down with a whole raft of assumptions placed where they do not belong nor are required.

Every country has racist elements. It's something you will never eradicate. Never. Well, unless you like the idea of Orwell's 1984 that is.
If you really think this country is that bad then you've been on the Kool Aid or sucking on BLM propaganda chews.

We are in a good place compared to the majority of the former Eastern block and that's just close to home.

I'll now let the trolls which stalk me twist and throw baseless insults.

Two points regarding Dalian Atkinson and the policeman who has been charged with his murder.

We should not be discussing this as it could prejudice his trial. At the trial of Duckenfield his lawyers made persistent attempts to prevent his trial by highlighting comments on social media. The same could happen again.

Frustrating, but all anyone should observe is that a policeman awaits trial for his murder and discussions/debate should wait until that criminal process is completed.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:05 - Jun 22 with 2297 viewsElephantintheRoom

You can't paint this or any other political issue as black or white - there will always be shades of grey.

Brexit for example was supported by 52% of the electorate. It's a fairly obvious caveat that every racist in the country who voted will have been a Brexit supporter - but not every Brexiteer is a racist - well indirectly they might be, but they won't admit it.

Interestingly there was an article in the Guardian yesterday that Theresa May is reeling in £100,000 a speach nowadays and it is her openly racist hostile environment whilst home secretary in Posh Dave's Big Society that has caused so many of the problems in this country at the moment.... and incidentally only 60 of the Windrush people have been paid compensation for her callous actions... not many getting for a ruined life what she gets for 30 minutes of tedious hot air.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:17 - Jun 22 with 2277 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a on 06:27 - Jun 22 by bluelagos

Two points regarding Dalian Atkinson and the policeman who has been charged with his murder.

We should not be discussing this as it could prejudice his trial. At the trial of Duckenfield his lawyers made persistent attempts to prevent his trial by highlighting comments on social media. The same could happen again.

Frustrating, but all anyone should observe is that a policeman awaits trial for his murder and discussions/debate should wait until that criminal process is completed.

Indeed. I was tempted to come back but know I can't.

It is sufficient to state that the CPS is prosecuting the officer involved and that the charge as it stands is murder. Nothing else should be said about it until the case has been heard.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:20 - Jun 22 with 2267 viewsDubtractor

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 23:36 - Jun 21 by Herbivore

I get tired of racism rather than people apologising for racism. Each to their own I guess.

This is what gets me, the number of people seemingly more upset by a demonstration, or a statue being removed, than they are by actual racism.

Its difficult not to jump to conclusions.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:20 - Jun 22 with 2266 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a on 23:21 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

You're spot on, it's am image of Saturn where it's obscured the sun from Cassini thus allowing the camera to capture very feint rings which aren't easily visible.

SB

Edit: Rather pleasing image of the Galilean moons of Jupiter I just took although hard to get a good one in central London with a rubbish telescope and a mobile phone.

[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 0:01]

To my shame I have a telescope that I used a little and then put away. We really ought to get it set up and use it. If I knew I could see things like this it would encourage me to. However, we also live in a fairly well lit area and don't really have room to have it left out.

Thanks for sharing the image.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:27 - Jun 22 with 2263 viewsHerbivore

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:20 - Jun 22 by Dubtractor

This is what gets me, the number of people seemingly more upset by a demonstration, or a statue being removed, than they are by actual racism.

Its difficult not to jump to conclusions.

Indeed. The number of people more upset about a bit of graffiti than about actual racism and people dying befsuer of racial discrimination is really quite troubling.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:30 - Jun 22 with 2257 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately, properly addressing racism and other inequalities has become a left/right political matter.

As Yuval Noah Harari points out, there is a natural conflict (and balance to be found) between liberty and equality. So while there is more vocal support for antiracism nowadays, the move further to the right and libertarian values in some societies like the US and UK means there is actually less will to tackle structural inequality.

Too many pay lip service to antiracism because they want continued individual liberty and they don't actually want change. That's why those pushing hardest are on the progressive left because they're driven by a need for equality — or at least a desire for much more of a balance.

Pronouns: He/Him

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:35 - Jun 22 with 2241 viewsbluelagos

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:30 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

Unfortunately, properly addressing racism and other inequalities has become a left/right political matter.

As Yuval Noah Harari points out, there is a natural conflict (and balance to be found) between liberty and equality. So while there is more vocal support for antiracism nowadays, the move further to the right and libertarian values in some societies like the US and UK means there is actually less will to tackle structural inequality.

Too many pay lip service to antiracism because they want continued individual liberty and they don't actually want change. That's why those pushing hardest are on the progressive left because they're driven by a need for equality — or at least a desire for much more of a balance.

And how many people on here have actually got off their arse and attended a rally? Hiding behind social distancing is a cop out imho. Very easy to find 2m at the Ipswich one and/or leave if the space isnt available.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:35 - Jun 22 with 2240 viewsDarth_Koont

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 00:04 - Jun 22 by JimmyJazz

BLM is a hard left movement that has the desecration of statues and therefore our history as one of it's prime aims. Anyone saying that is obviously trying to discredit the BLM movement. Hard left? That would be because the last election seemed to demonstrate a resounding defeat for hard left politics, so would therefore gain support from the majority of the nation. Attacking our history? Again, isn't this kind of reporting being ramped up to gain more anti-BLM support? As people have said, do BLM really want to attack war memorials and similar monuments?

TBH if the aim was really to kick over or grafitti statues then surely the time to do it would be during the night, preferably the night before a protest? The Alt-Right defending statues is an excuse to attempt to be seen doing the honourable thing.

There was nothing hard left about Labour's manifesto. It's bog-standard social democracy.

The problem we have in the UK is that the centre is way to the right, and we've become politically illiterate as a result.

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:41 - Jun 22 with 2227 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:30 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

reducing socio-economic inequality is undoubtedly the key. that goes way beyond race - but the case for it is re-doubled by the racial dimension to socio-economic inequality. social mobility has stopped across a lot of the population and disadvantage is engrained across generations. racism is only one bit of the story.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 8:44]

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:48 - Jun 22 with 2207 viewsDarth_Koont

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 08:35 - Jun 22 by bluelagos

And how many people on here have actually got off their arse and attended a rally? Hiding behind social distancing is a cop out imho. Very easy to find 2m at the Ipswich one and/or leave if the space isnt available.

It's vital to show a weight of opinion and emotion. But ultimately, I think it's more about voting for politicians and parties that want to address the necessary changes and not just talk about the cosmetic stuff.

It's not about some hippyish sentiment "Hey guys, why can't we just love one another? We're all the same on the inside." It's about being prepared to actually do something and make some sacrifices for the greater good.

Otherwise, BLM is another of those moral placebos like Children in Need or Comic Relief where we have a spurt of activity, we convince ourselves we're doing something and then it's largely forgotten about for another year.

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:50 - Jun 22 with 2202 viewsDarth_Koont

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:41 - Jun 22 by lowhouseblue

reducing socio-economic inequality is undoubtedly the key. that goes way beyond race - but the case for it is re-doubled by the racial dimension to socio-economic inequality. social mobility has stopped across a lot of the population and disadvantage is engrained across generations. racism is only one bit of the story.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 8:44]

Sure. So we need parties that are committed to reducing socio-economic inequality as a starting point.

Not some "equality of opportunity" neoliberalism that just deepens those divisions.

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:55 - Jun 22 with 2190 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a on 08:50 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

Sure. So we need parties that are committed to reducing socio-economic inequality as a starting point.

Not some "equality of opportunity" neoliberalism that just deepens those divisions.

we need a government elected which is committed to reducing socio-economic inequality. that will involve heavy investment in early years education and sustained expansion of the economy's need for skilled workers and the ability to pay high wages. it will involve a sustained investment in social infrastructure amongst other things. first it will involve winning an election.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024