Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? 12:20 - Jun 29 with 3744 viewsclive_baker

I think I'll pop in to my local for a couple of pints of bitter. I'll give it a few hours after opening though to give the pipes a chance. Sod having the first pint after lockdown in that place.

If you are, what'll be your poison?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 13:50 - Jun 29 with 1311 viewsbluelagos

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8465287/Boss-pub-chain-Marstons-declare

Marstons' pubs looking to do things their own way.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:02 - Jun 29 with 1289 viewsclive_baker

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 13:29 - Jun 29 by clive_baker

Is the Magpie still a pub?

I've not been there for yonks. That takes me right back. I went to the Gladdy not too long ago (within the past 3 years or so) and that was decent. Nice sized garden etc and the people in there seemed nice. It also felt reasonably priced and with sport on the TV etc. Good local IMO, hopefully it can reopen.

Ps. Happy Birthday for the weekend, have a good one buh!
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 14:02]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:04 - Jun 29 with 1278 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:02 - Jun 29 by clive_baker

I've not been there for yonks. That takes me right back. I went to the Gladdy not too long ago (within the past 3 years or so) and that was decent. Nice sized garden etc and the people in there seemed nice. It also felt reasonably priced and with sport on the TV etc. Good local IMO, hopefully it can reopen.

The Magpie is no longer anywhere near as bad as Libero makes out, it’s now something of a gin bar with 100+ on the menu and would probably be more popular if it wasn’t for the Gladstone being right across the road

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:07 - Jun 29 with 1272 viewsLibero

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:02 - Jun 29 by clive_baker

Yeah, Magpie isn't my scene.

Gladdy is glorious, would consider that my regular but as I live the other end of town I've tend to go in the Walnut more often since the bairn arrived.

Decent bunch in Gladstone staff and customers, it's one of those pubs I don't mind going in alone for a pint as is always someone knocking about that's good to chat with.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:11 - Jun 29 with 1262 viewsLibero

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:04 - Jun 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The Magpie is no longer anywhere near as bad as Libero makes out, it’s now something of a gin bar with 100+ on the menu and would probably be more popular if it wasn’t for the Gladstone being right across the road

In fairness I haven't been in for a drink in a couple of years, didn't enjoy the vibe the night I last did though.
In more recent times (I reckon about a year ago) my old man took me there for lunch as he was raving about the grub, I found it near inedible.

I'm sure it's alright, probably caught them on a bad day but I'm just not inclined to give it another go with Gladstone so close by, as you highlight.

Only positive memory I have of the Magpie is watching England Vs Greece with my Dad, in there back in 2000.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:11 - Jun 29 with 1261 viewsBlue_Moses

Unfortunately still shielding for another month, appreciate you guinea pigs testing everything out first though! 16 weeks inside from tomorrow, 1st August can’t come soon enough.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:13 - Jun 29 with 1255 viewsBlueStreak

The golf course bar is opening again this week so will sit outside there after our round Saturday and have a couple. BBQ area opening as well so hope for decent weather.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:23 - Jun 29 with 1232 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:11 - Jun 29 by Libero

In fairness I haven't been in for a drink in a couple of years, didn't enjoy the vibe the night I last did though.
In more recent times (I reckon about a year ago) my old man took me there for lunch as he was raving about the grub, I found it near inedible.

I'm sure it's alright, probably caught them on a bad day but I'm just not inclined to give it another go with Gladstone so close by, as you highlight.

Only positive memory I have of the Magpie is watching England Vs Greece with my Dad, in there back in 2000.

Can’t comment on the food and wouldn’t be surprised if it was still ropey, but as a pub it really isn’t that bad. As you say though no real reason to go in unless you fancy a gin sesh or are on a pub crawl, but objectively it’s probably one of the better pubs in Stow!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:29 - Jun 29 with 1215 viewsLibero

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:23 - Jun 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Can’t comment on the food and wouldn’t be surprised if it was still ropey, but as a pub it really isn’t that bad. As you say though no real reason to go in unless you fancy a gin sesh or are on a pub crawl, but objectively it’s probably one of the better pubs in Stow!

When I went in there for a drink a couple of years ago it had very "Carling" vibe to the place, so it's obviously changed somewhat, haha!
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:39 - Jun 29 with 1190 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My pub of choice is not opening as they feel it would be socially irresponsible. Having been instructed that if a 2 family bubble then recognises somebody and talk to them, from whatever distance, that they must instruct them to stop, they decided that wasn't why they ran a pub.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:40 - Jun 29 with 1192 viewsPJH

I do not intend to go in a pub in England until I can walk to the bar and pay for what I want in cash.

I think that there is a very good chance that there will another lockdown in about a months time when the results of opening pubs at the end of this week are starting to be felt.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:57 - Jun 29 with 1163 viewsitfcjoe

Not sure I'll bother - rather have a couple of mates round to sit in the garden if weather is nice.

Not ruling it out if someone asks me though - it's not a point of principle I'm just not fussed enough to corral my mates into it, but will be easily corraled

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:59 - Jun 29 with 1155 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 12:50 - Jun 29 by Mullet

My mate's fella runs a pub. He's a woman ring up and demand a table for 20. Then kick off when told she can't.

"I'll just get 4 or 5 tables under different names then and push them together, you can't stop us" was the thrust of the conversation.

He's had a 48 page risk assessment from the government and a load of new rules to implement. There is no way in hell I'll be joining those types of people in a boozer when the poor sods running it will have to jump through hoops just to try and get running again.

Once again the government are just chucking grenades out and letting others clear up the mess while they try and collect the plaudits and good will.

I was chatting to a regional ops manager of a pub chain last week and it is a logistical nightmare - but ultimately if people tell them they are in a bubble then the publicans just have to take their word.

But they will have to try and police people not going to close to each other

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:01 - Jun 29 with 1154 viewsITFC_Forever

Given that it's table service only, I don't think "just popping to the pub" will be realistic.

Everywhere will be table only, so you will either need to wait in a queue for a table to become free, or book on in advance.

It's my wife's birthday on Friday, so we have booked to a pub for a meal on Saturday.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:29 - Jun 29 with 1109 viewsIllinoisblue

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 13:28 - Jun 29 by Mullet

They are the border of very posh and very rough so they get a weird mix and lots of odd events over the years.

I don't envy anyone in the pub game, especially after this. More and more people will go without for so long they just drop off.

Apparently you're not allowed to get up once sat down unless going to the toilet, it's going to be all table service for the time being there. Not sure how others will manage, but there seems little point if you can't move about and chat and stuff.

At that border and the cross-section of brazen entitlement. Selfish, ignorant scum.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:35 - Jun 29 with 1097 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 14:57 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

Not sure I'll bother - rather have a couple of mates round to sit in the garden if weather is nice.

Not ruling it out if someone asks me though - it's not a point of principle I'm just not fussed enough to corral my mates into it, but will be easily corraled

One mate at a time!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:51 - Jun 29 with 1077 viewsBlueBadger

Not for at least a fortnight. It'll be full of the sort of part-timers who clutter the place up on bank holidays and Christmas, probably ordering fruit 'cider' and thinsg with red bull in them.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:55 - Jun 29 with 1066 viewsBlueBadger

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 12:25 - Jun 29 by Steve_M

Not next weekend. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes first. I'm certainly very keen for a pint in a nice pub but after three months another week or two won't hurt.

There is a strong possibility that Saturday might be like the last Friday before Christmas in some places.

'Mad Friday' by BlueBadger 21 Dec 2019 2:40
A point for each one of these that you've spotted tonight on amateur's night down the pub tonight. Bonus points if you can suggest a 'last Friday before Christmas' pub cliche not already here.

1) Once a year pub-goers ordering coffees, bitter shandies and the Guinness last
2) The woman who just wants a sweet sherry and everyone to know what a TERRIBLE time she's had
3) The recently separated orange-faced harridan in her late 40s/early 50s who is on a mission to get absolutely mortal
4) The henpecked bloke who has been allowed out for a couple of hours and tries to recapture his youth by getting hammered on Strongbow and trying to finger number 3) behind some bins
5) The 17 year old lads who look about 15 hoping that they can get served without ID as it's so busy
6) The 17 year old girls who look about 29 trying to fend off 5 and 8.
7) Pat from accounts
8) A cohort of detestable 'lads' in their 20s whose sole purpose for the evening is to try and out-banter each other
9) Jim. Jim is wondering why his local juicer is over-run with c*nts and he can't get to his usual seat at the bar as it's full of coats and bags
10) Some c*nt with a Christmas tie.
11) A red-faced bloke in his late 50's/early 60's who insists on talking about Brexit to anyone who can't escape.
12) A couple who insist on letting their dogs/kids run free despite the place being rammed.
13. The man who, when ordering a round, orders it one drink at a time.
14. The man who has no idea what he wants, and interrogates the bar staff as to the flavour profile of each and every beer, before ordering a Guinness.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:56 - Jun 29 with 1060 viewsjeera

Not for me.

It's going to be so far removed from what I consider to be the pub experience I look for.

I still don't understand the date thing either.

Not that I'm much of a patriot, but it does seem weird to be celebrating such a famous loss for the English.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 16:03 - Jun 29 with 1039 viewsfooters

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:56 - Jun 29 by jeera

Not for me.

It's going to be so far removed from what I consider to be the pub experience I look for.

I still don't understand the date thing either.

Not that I'm much of a patriot, but it does seem weird to be celebrating such a famous loss for the English.

And a day when Earth was nearly lost to invading alien scumbags. Thank god Will Smith was here to save us all.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 16:07 - Jun 29 with 1026 viewsjeera

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 16:03 - Jun 29 by footers

And a day when Earth was nearly lost to invading alien scumbags. Thank god Will Smith was here to save us all.

I thought it was Facters in his biplane who saved the world.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 16:11 - Jun 29 with 1004 viewsDebsyAngel

Nope. It will be more like a trip to the Job Centre. Having to queue outside, having your name on a list. I can see carnage as idiots will not queue outside for hours waiting for others to come out. They will all try to get in and fight the staff. What a stupid Government - open the bloody Doctors surgeries and Dentists. Not like alcohol is not available - I don't drink much anyhow, but it's easier to get a couple at the supermarket/offie, and you can watch what you want, listen to what you want, no queues, no trouble - know what I will choose! I do miss the act of getting ready and going out, but whilst this is all going on not a chance. The virus is still out there.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 17:18 - Jun 29 with 916 viewsbrogansnose

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 12:25 - Jun 29 by Steve_M

Not next weekend. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes first. I'm certainly very keen for a pint in a nice pub but after three months another week or two won't hurt.

There is a strong possibility that Saturday might be like the last Friday before Christmas in some places.

I normally go for an early pint after work on a Friday to my local which is about 30 yds away. The night Boris told the pubs to close the pub was full of people I've never seen in there before. I took one look in the window and thought stuff that. Saturday will be just the same so I'm not bothering until the novelty for people wears off.
Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 17:33 - Jun 29 with 902 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 16:07 - Jun 29 by jeera

I thought it was Facters in his biplane who saved the world.

I did try!

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 18:40 - Jun 29 with 828 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone planning on frequenting a public house at the weekend? on 15:55 - Jun 29 by BlueBadger

'Mad Friday' by BlueBadger 21 Dec 2019 2:40
A point for each one of these that you've spotted tonight on amateur's night down the pub tonight. Bonus points if you can suggest a 'last Friday before Christmas' pub cliche not already here.

1) Once a year pub-goers ordering coffees, bitter shandies and the Guinness last
2) The woman who just wants a sweet sherry and everyone to know what a TERRIBLE time she's had
3) The recently separated orange-faced harridan in her late 40s/early 50s who is on a mission to get absolutely mortal
4) The henpecked bloke who has been allowed out for a couple of hours and tries to recapture his youth by getting hammered on Strongbow and trying to finger number 3) behind some bins
5) The 17 year old lads who look about 15 hoping that they can get served without ID as it's so busy
6) The 17 year old girls who look about 29 trying to fend off 5 and 8.
7) Pat from accounts
8) A cohort of detestable 'lads' in their 20s whose sole purpose for the evening is to try and out-banter each other
9) Jim. Jim is wondering why his local juicer is over-run with c*nts and he can't get to his usual seat at the bar as it's full of coats and bags
10) Some c*nt with a Christmas tie.
11) A red-faced bloke in his late 50's/early 60's who insists on talking about Brexit to anyone who can't escape.
12) A couple who insist on letting their dogs/kids run free despite the place being rammed.
13. The man who, when ordering a round, orders it one drink at a time.
14. The man who has no idea what he wants, and interrogates the bar staff as to the flavour profile of each and every beer, before ordering a Guinness.

You're number four on that list, aren't you.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024