Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is 11:08 - Jul 13 with 3371 viewsBluefish

PRP very obviously has an issue with JD and did from the moment he walked through the door, something from their time at Villa together. He also clearly had an issue with Harrison which I think was confirmed by the player. Is this squad number change connected to that or has Donacien gone out of his way to move his number to number 12. Seems unlikely but also PRP changing his number seems a bit odd in this day and age of 1-11 not being that important

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:16 - Jul 13 with 2084 viewsitfcjoe

He obviously doesn't rate him, and think whilst football isn't 1-11 these days, those numbers are still the prime ones to get and you shouldn't have someone with them that the manager isn't going to use.

I'd have relegated Wilson from 5, given that to Woolfie and moved Downes into 6 - even though I think 6 should be a CB. Shame KVY didn't want to move up to 2

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:19 - Jul 13 with 2056 viewsMullet

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:16 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

He obviously doesn't rate him, and think whilst football isn't 1-11 these days, those numbers are still the prime ones to get and you shouldn't have someone with them that the manager isn't going to use.

I'd have relegated Wilson from 5, given that to Woolfie and moved Downes into 6 - even though I think 6 should be a CB. Shame KVY didn't want to move up to 2

Goes back to Villa IIRC. Seem to remember rumours they fell out there over something.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:20 - Jul 13 with 2046 viewsBluefish

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:16 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Agree that he doesn't and also agree about Wilson but seems a strange move to take considering we don't have other players to fill those numbers and that 1-11 isn't important. Seems to be bordering on bullying to do that to 1 player, I think he really hates him.

Taking 7 off Edwards would have been perfectly acceptable though

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:22 - Jul 13 with 2023 viewsitfcjoe

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:20 - Jul 13 by Bluefish

Agree that he doesn't and also agree about Wilson but seems a strange move to take considering we don't have other players to fill those numbers and that 1-11 isn't important. Seems to be bordering on bullying to do that to 1 player, I think he really hates him.

I think going to 12 isn't that bad, issue is if you go from 2 to 43

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:24 - Jul 13 with 2014 viewsPhilTWTD

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:22 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I think going to 12 isn't that bad, issue is if you go from 2 to 43

That really does give a player a message. Seems a bit churlish to drop Donacien to 12 given the regular right-back isn't taking two. I suppose a back-up to KVY will get that shirt if and when he is recruited.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:25 - Jul 13 with 1977 viewsMullet

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:24 - Jul 13 by PhilTWTD

That really does give a player a message. Seems a bit churlish to drop Donacien to 12 given the regular right-back isn't taking two. I suppose a back-up to KVY will get that shirt if and when he is recruited.

He did say that JD was a CB though and made a thing of it didn't he? So maybe 12 means he's twice/half as likely to play as Woolfenden?

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:26 - Jul 13 with 1975 viewstractorboy1978

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:24 - Jul 13 by PhilTWTD

Do you think Lambert is throwing down a challenge to the young players? Psychological 'prove you are worth a squad number or a better squad number than last year kind of thing?'
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 11:27]
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:26 - Jul 13 with 1971 viewsKeno

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:19 - Jul 13 by Mullet

Goes back to Villa IIRC. Seem to remember rumours they fell out there over something.

I heard it rumoured they fell out when Lamburke gave him the number 12 shirt

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:29 - Jul 13 with 1963 viewsPhilTWTD

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:26 - Jul 13 by tractorboy1978

Do you think Lambert is throwing down a challenge to the young players? Psychological 'prove you are worth a squad number or a better squad number than last year kind of thing?'

I assume so, none of the development squad players, other than Wright, who is evidently second choice as it stands, have numbers.

In reality a load of them will get numbers as soon as we play in a cup.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:30 - Jul 13 with 1940 viewsitfcjoe

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:29 - Jul 13 by PhilTWTD

I assume so, none of the development squad players, other than Wright, who is evidently second choice as it stands, have numbers.

In reality a load of them will get numbers as soon as we play in a cup.

They'll all just have the same numbers as will be across all their training kit when back.

I wonder if Wright v Przybek is just an oversight

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:30 - Jul 13 with 1941 viewsclive_baker

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:19 - Jul 13 by Mullet

I don't often defend Lambert, but it could be as straightforward as the fact Donacien has been largely crap when he's played for us. I don't think he's come anywhere close to earning the right to #2 and frankly I think laying down a challenge to go and earn that, rather than be rewarded undeservedly is absolutely the right message.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:31 - Jul 13 with 1929 viewsPhilTWTD

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:25 - Jul 13 by Mullet

He did say that JD was a CB though and made a thing of it didn't he? So maybe 12 means he's twice/half as likely to play as Woolfenden?

He did, although he then used him as a right-back in pre-season of last year and then at the start of the season. I think he just doesn't particularly rate him. If someone's interested and able to match his wages - which would be a big issue I'm guessing - then I'm sure he'd be more than willing to allow him to move on.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:33 - Jul 13 with 1916 viewsPhilTWTD

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:30 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

They'll all just have the same numbers as will be across all their training kit when back.

I wonder if Wright v Przybek is just an oversight

Indeed, I'm sure they'll all have the same numbers on their training kit.

Perhaps, although Wright might well have been ahead of Przybek last season but for his injury. Seems he's the number two number one as things stand.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:33 - Jul 13 with 1909 viewsitfcjoe

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:30 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

I don't often defend Lambert, but it could be as straightforward as the fact Donacien has been largely crap when he's played for us. I don't think he's come anywhere close to earning the right to #2 and frankly I think laying down a challenge to go and earn that, rather than be rewarded undeservedly is absolutely the right message.

He's never going to earn it, I think we could get a bit more out of him but when the manager clearly doesn't rate you then you won't get that chance.....think he still has another 2 years here

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:34 - Jul 13 with 1895 viewsMullet

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:30 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

True, but Lambert is apparently known for sticking to his judgement on players too. I think it was Warnock jnr who was bombed out and never returned much to the confusion of Villa fans.

Donacien is just another misfit signing by Hurst. Any opportunity he had here evaoprated pretty quickly any way given the serial mismanagement across the squad since his arrival. Plus as mentioned to Phil the insistence he's a CB and not playing him there is weird to say the least.

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:36 - Jul 13 with 1879 viewsPJH

But on that basis Edwards and Nolan should not have any numbers between 1-11.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:38 - Jul 13 with 1858 viewsclive_baker

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:33 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

He's never going to earn it, I think we could get a bit more out of him but when the manager clearly doesn't rate you then you won't get that chance.....think he still has another 2 years here

It's too easy to put it onto Lambert that he's written him off, and suggest it's a long held grudge, but he started nigh on 20 games last season, so you can't say he's not had a chance. The onus should also be on JD to take his chances when he gets them, which by and large he didn't last season, he looked weak.

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:38 - Jul 13 with 1853 viewspatrickswell

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:26 - Jul 13 by tractorboy1978

It’s definitely Groundhog Day again for the likes of Morris and Folami. Hurst similarly took a “prove yourself” approach towards them on arrival by omitting them from the team photo for 2018/19. It blew up in his face and he was coming in as the hot, young, progressive up and comer; so what they’ll make of a similar stunt being pulled by the busted flush, fraudulent, failure who currently sits in judgement over them, I can’t imagine.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:45 - Jul 13 with 1804 viewsMeadowlark

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:20 - Jul 13 by Bluefish

I disagree regarding Edwards. If he plays him as a number 7 there's no problem.
If instead he's going to continue using him as a stand-in full back or attacking wing back, then what's the point in even giving him the No. 7?
Although, as others have pointed out what's in a number these days?
I think Edwards gets a lot of undeserved criticism. He would be in my starting line up as a winger or even striker every week.
Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:45 - Jul 13 with 1798 viewsGarv

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:38 - Jul 13 by patrickswell

It’s definitely Groundhog Day again for the likes of Morris and Folami. Hurst similarly took a “prove yourself” approach towards them on arrival by omitting them from the team photo for 2018/19. It blew up in his face and he was coming in as the hot, young, progressive up and comer; so what they’ll make of a similar stunt being pulled by the busted flush, fraudulent, failure who currently sits in judgement over them, I can’t imagine.

If Morris and Folami react negatively to not being given numbers by Paul Lambert, simply because he's Paul Lambert, then more fool them.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:45 - Jul 13 with 1800 viewsitfcjoe

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:38 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

It's too easy to put it onto Lambert that he's written him off, and suggest it's a long held grudge, but he started nigh on 20 games last season, so you can't say he's not had a chance. The onus should also be on JD to take his chances when he gets them, which by and large he didn't last season, he looked weak.

I'm not saying that it's a grudge, or that he has done enough - but it is clear as day he doesn't rate him as a right back, or full stop really.

Decisions like this are made all the time, it's no big deal for me.

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:47 - Jul 13 with 1766 viewsSomethingBlue

Think he's just never rated him.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:49 - Jul 13 with 1748 viewsBluefish

Shambert was already ostracised him as soon as he came in. Yes we know JD hasn't been brilliant but there clearly is more to it. The whole CB vs RB bit got weird at times and he clearly wasn't worse than Edwards at RB

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:49 - Jul 13 with 1743 viewsclive_baker

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:45 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I'm not saying that it's a grudge, or that he has done enough - but it is clear as day he doesn't rate him as a right back, or full stop really.

Decisions like this are made all the time, it's no big deal for me.

Agreed. Personally I would be more concerned if Lambert did rate him worthy of that position and number as that's not where he's at in the squad, and his squad number now reflects that. It absolutely should be a meritocracy.

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:50 - Jul 13 with 1729 viewsBluefish

Wonder what the story behind the Donacien number is on 11:45 - Jul 13 by Meadowlark

I disagree regarding Edwards. If he plays him as a number 7 there's no problem.
If instead he's going to continue using him as a stand-in full back or attacking wing back, then what's the point in even giving him the No. 7?
Although, as others have pointed out what's in a number these days?
I think Edwards gets a lot of undeserved criticism. He would be in my starting line up as a winger or even striker every week.

madness

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024