Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The SAGE / Government dispute 08:35 - Jul 17 with 2703 viewsgordon

that is bubbling up is pretty mind-boggling - Apparently SAGE decided a full lockdown was needed on the 13th March, but didn't tell the government until the 16th March.

Then for the next week they didn't speak up and let anyone know they'd come to this conclusion (it's basically come to light now), while lots of other epidemiologists who were arguing that the delay going in to lockdown was going to cost thousands of lives were being shouted down by the 'following the science' crowd.

Meanwhile, Matt Hancock is now saying that the lockdown started on the 16th March.

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:40 - Jul 17 with 1827 viewsgordon

E.g here's one distinguished public health expert asking a member of SAGE why he was complicit in the deaths of thousands of people, basically.

Not a great look.
The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:45 - Jul 17 with 1796 viewstractordownsouth

Only thing I can think of is the "advisers advise, ministers decide" mantra?

Perhaps if they'd spoken up it would have undermined the govt's strategy

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:50 - Jul 17 with 1785 viewsgordon

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:45 - Jul 17 by tractordownsouth

Assuming what they are saying is true re making this decision on the 13th, then I think in this case if they had communicated, en masse, on the 13th March that a lockdown was needed pronto, it would have saved a lot of lives.

Sure Cummings could have tried to replace them all with Chris Grayling or something, but I think in hindsight they probably wish they'd gone about things a bit differently.
The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:55 - Jul 17 with 1775 viewsgiant_stow

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:50 - Jul 17 by gordon

Assuming what they are saying is true re making this decision on the 13th, then I think in this case if they had communicated, en masse, on the 13th March that a lockdown was needed pronto, it would have saved a lot of lives.

Sure Cummings could have tried to replace them all with Chris Grayling or something, but I think in hindsight they probably wish they'd gone about things a bit differently.

There was always a question about how good our experts were.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:56 - Jul 17 with 1768 viewsHerbivore

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:55 - Jul 17 by giant_stow

We've had enough of experts.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:58 - Jul 17 with 1769 viewsmonytowbray

Political point Scoring.
Revelling in the dead.
Trust the science.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:58 - Jul 17 with 1765 viewsgiant_stow

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:56 - Jul 17 by Herbivore

We've had enough of experts.

Maybe we should have transfered in some foreign ones?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:04 - Jul 17 with 1746 viewslongtimefan

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:45 - Jul 17 by tractordownsouth

Sounds like classic Public service behaviour from the 60s. We won’t bother disturbing them now, we’ll wait for next weeks meeting!
Login to get fewer ads

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:06 - Jul 17 with 1740 viewsgordon

The point is more that they were a bit naive in assuming their advice would actually be acted upon, and they wouldn't be used as a human shield - in hindsight they should have assumed complete incompetence from the govt. right from the start, and definitely shouldn't have allowed the following the science line to be used, given they are now saying it was a bare faced lie.
The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:10 - Jul 17 with 1729 viewsgordon

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:04 - Jul 17 by longtimefan

Sounds like classic Public service behaviour from the 60s. We won’t bother disturbing them now, we’ll wait for next weeks meeting!

Yes, couldn't believe that! They concluded that a lockdown was needed on a Friday, but didn't want to spoil anyone's weekend so didn't send the email till Monday?!

Unless Dom or one of his minions was actually at the SAGE meeting.
The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:12 - Jul 17 with 1717 viewsgiant_stow

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:06 - Jul 17 by gordon

The point is more that they were a bit naive in assuming their advice would actually be acted upon, and they wouldn't be used as a human shield - in hindsight they should have assumed complete incompetence from the govt. right from the start, and definitely shouldn't have allowed the following the science line to be used, given they are now saying it was a bare faced lie.

Fair enough in one sense. In another, you could say that an eminent scientist might be expected to be more aware of the how their opinions might be used (or not). Part of the required skillset in a very public role?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:22 - Jul 17 with 1676 viewsgordon

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:12 - Jul 17 by giant_stow

Fair enough in one sense. In another, you could say that an eminent scientist might be expected to be more aware of the how their opinions might be used (or not). Part of the required skillset in a very public role?

Absolutely.
The SAGE / Government dispute on 10:10 - Jul 17 with 1605 viewsbournemouthblue

One of the big problems they had earlier on was the quality of data they were presented, obviously we weren't really testing anyone in great enough numbers to understand the full extent of the outbreak

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The SAGE / Government dispute on 10:36 - Jul 17 with 1574 viewsSwansea_Blue

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:40 - Jul 17 by gordon

E.g here's one distinguished public health expert asking a member of SAGE why he was complicit in the deaths of thousands of people, basically.

Not a great look.

Even had they acted on those timings, it's still a failure. We knew all about it by the time SAGE got round to advising the Govt on the 16th. Italy, especially, was splashed all over the news.

I've just checked my calendar, we kept our kids out of school from the 12th, our workplace made the decision to WFH on the 13th, starting on Monday 16th. And I personally started WFH on the 19th. People and organisations were left to make decisions off the back of what they were seeing in the news.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 10:51 - Jul 17 with 1548 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, they'd have been out of a position on SAGE. Like when Van Tam was critical of the approach in a press briefing and we never saw him again.

Maybe they thought they could do more good by toeing the line, as they'd certainly be no use on the outside (as proven by how the Govt ignored a large part of the wider scientific community here and internationally)?

Or maybe it was just vanity that trumped conscience and they wanted to retain their positions come what may? Who knows? I was suspicious that some had sold their souls when listening to some of the nonsense Jenny Harries was spouting.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:25 - Jul 17 with 1497 viewsOldsmoker

Central government is still trying to control things even though they've said the responsibility is with local authorities to monitor local spikes.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/how-governm

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:36 - Jul 17 with 1484 viewsitfcjoe

The Times Insight investigation said that the Givernment decided a lockdown was required on 14th and implemented it on 23rd. In tht time infections went from 200k to 1.3m

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:39 - Jul 17 with 1476 viewsMullet

The SAGE / Government dispute on 09:10 - Jul 17 by gordon

Yes, couldn't believe that! They concluded that a lockdown was needed on a Friday, but didn't want to spoil anyone's weekend so didn't send the email till Monday?!

Unless Dom or one of his minions was actually at the SAGE meeting.

I thought Cummings sat on but didn't advise on all of those meetings from the off?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:42 - Jul 17 with 1472 viewsPinewoodblue

When did the lockdown start. We went to a gig in Eastleigh in 14th March over 50% of those who purchased tickets attended. We stayed overnight and were due to visit friends in the area the following day. My wife received an email telling her to isolate overnight so we cancelled the visit and drove home after breakfast. Never seen the M25 so devoid of traffic.

Sensible people would have followed lockdown from 16th March. Bit like mask wearing must be warn in shops from ne t week but sensible people are doing it now.

Worth pointing out that is probably a generational thing which would explain why the average age of new COVID-19 keeps falling.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:44 - Jul 17 with 1463 viewsHerbivore

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:42 - Jul 17 by Pinewoodblue

When did the lockdown start. We went to a gig in Eastleigh in 14th March over 50% of those who purchased tickets attended. We stayed overnight and were due to visit friends in the area the following day. My wife received an email telling her to isolate overnight so we cancelled the visit and drove home after breakfast. Never seen the M25 so devoid of traffic.

Sensible people would have followed lockdown from 16th March. Bit like mask wearing must be warn in shops from ne t week but sensible people are doing it now.

Worth pointing out that is probably a generational thing which would explain why the average age of new COVID-19 keeps falling.

Lockdown started on the 23rd of March, although officially the legislation came in on the 26th.

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:44 - Jul 17 with 1463 viewsjaykay

The SAGE / Government dispute on 08:58 - Jul 17 by monytowbray

Political point Scoring.
Revelling in the dead.
Trust the science.

i remember back at the start, you were called this

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:48 - Jul 17 with 1448 viewsPinewoodblue

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:44 - Jul 17 by Herbivore

Lockdown started on the 23rd of March, although officially the legislation came in on the 26th.

That is why I added the comment about masks. You know something is coming so you act accordingly. Do you wear a mask yet or are you waiting until the date set?

2023 year of destiny

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:51 - Jul 17 with 1432 viewsHerbivore

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:48 - Jul 17 by Pinewoodblue

That is why I added the comment about masks. You know something is coming so you act accordingly. Do you wear a mask yet or are you waiting until the date set?

Depends on where, not in Pret obviously.

I think you're trying to deflect from really unclear and poor messaging from the government. They've essentially done the opposite of what effective public health messaging should look like.

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:57 - Jul 17 with 1413 viewsOldsmoker

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:48 - Jul 17 by Pinewoodblue

I've been wearing masks for some time now but I don't get out that much.
I think there seems to be some people under the impression that the goverment have agreed a cease-fire with Covid19 until July 24th after which date the war is back on.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:57 - Jul 17 with 1410 viewsPinewoodblue

The SAGE / Government dispute on 11:51 - Jul 17 by Herbivore

Depends on where, not in Pret obviously.

I think you're trying to deflect from really unclear and poor messaging from the government. They've essentially done the opposite of what effective public health messaging should look like.

Sadly the government has, far too often, been willing to rely on people’s common sense mainly due to an inability to enforce compliance.

When we have the nannie state you crave things will be better.

2023 year of destiny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024