Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People that don't rate Holy 11:21 - Jul 29 with 2405 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

What am I missing here? What have you seen that I haven't?

He made a mistake on the opening day at Burton, his debut, that nearly cost us, but then kept something like 7 clean sheets in his first 11 games.

He commanded his area, made some superb stops and his kicking (which was one criticism I saw) looked no worse than other League One keepers.

Are people judging him purely on being League One ability whilst every other keeper we've had for 60 years has, by definition been better. Is that it?

Because I saw a really decent League One keeper, probably the top 3 or 4 I shall all season if we take his average performance. The one criticism I had was a few shots low down that beat him he didn't get to and I thought it was his size but then looking at the shots again, pace, angle, distance, I'm not sure other keepers at this level would have done better.

I'm more than happy with him in goal and I really don't understand what people seem to think we can get in League One that is likely to be better or more consistent?

He's my number 1!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

People that don't rate Holy on 11:23 - Jul 29 with 2393 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think hes a decent L1 keeper.

People need to stop looking for perfection in L1.

League 1 players regardless of position will make mistakes and will have weaknesses in their game. Thats why they are plying their trade in L1.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

People that don't rate Holy on 11:25 - Jul 29 with 2366 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

People that don't rate Holy on 11:23 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

League 1 players regardless of position will make mistakes and will have weaknesses in their game. Thats why they are plying their trade in L1.

Exactly my view.

A commentator made a point during the League Two playoff final about a centre half not being technical because they don't exist at that level and if they do, they are soon off to a bigger club.

It's the same with League One keepers. Any keeper there is going to have at least one major weakness because without it they'd be at a better club.

People that don't rate Holy on 11:25 - Jul 29 with 2366 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

People that don't rate Holy on 11:27 - Jul 29 with 2347 viewsJakeITFC

His distribution is terrible (and is surely why he was dropped).

I like his aerial ability and he has good hands, he is susceptible to low shots close to him (understandably) and not the quickest off his line.

Given that we didn't really have a style of play last season I don't see why the distribution point was a big issue for Lambert, but I'm ultimately of the opinion that there are better keepers available to us.
People that don't rate Holy on 11:27 - Jul 29 with 2340 viewsclive_baker

People that don't rate Holy on 11:23 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think that's fair enough. He shipped 70+ goals for a mid table Gillingham side before joining us, and looked at home in a mid table side last season. He made a few mistakes, but he will do. His distribution annoys me at times, but I also don't think he was helped with the chopping and changing last season. I can't think of too many successful sides where you can't confidently name their #1 keeper. I think there needs to be a healthy level of competition but also a clear hierarchy in that department. He's not really an issue in our current squad, there's bigger problem areas to get right. Give Holy the number 1 spot and get on with it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

People that don't rate Holy on 11:29 - Jul 29 with 2312 viewsLibero

People that don't rate Holy on 11:27 - Jul 29 by clive_baker

I think that's fair enough. He shipped 70+ goals for a mid table Gillingham side before joining us, and looked at home in a mid table side last season. He made a few mistakes, but he will do. His distribution annoys me at times, but I also don't think he was helped with the chopping and changing last season. I can't think of too many successful sides where you can't confidently name their #1 keeper. I think there needs to be a healthy level of competition but also a clear hierarchy in that department. He's not really an issue in our current squad, there's bigger problem areas to get right. Give Holy the number 1 spot and get on with it.

Agree with your assessment, I think he has potential to improve though!
People that don't rate Holy on 11:30 - Jul 29 with 2310 viewsN2_Blue

Completely agree with original post here. Holy is a more than adequate L1 keeper, and i'd say one of the better ones in the division.

We have way more serious problems to deal with in the 1st XI than GK. We have a reasonable keeper, we do not need to prioritise finding a new no 1 and spunking yet more unnecessary wage.

Get out of the division (upwards) and then revisit the GK position.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

People that don't rate Holy on 11:31 - Jul 29 with 2299 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

People that don't rate Holy on 11:27 - Jul 29 by JakeITFC

I like his aerial ability and he has good hands, he is susceptible to low shots close to him (understandably) and not the quickest off his line.

Given that we didn't really have a style of play last season I don't see why the distribution point was a big issue for Lambert, but I'm ultimately of the opinion that there are better keepers available to us.

Most of the distribution issues I saw seemed to be on the players rather than him.

Certainly from where I sit, behind the goal, he saw a player, threw the ball out and the player then switched off and we got caught a couple of times.

The KVY goal against Tranmere - that distribution was all on Holy though and he's very lucky to have an assist there!

Login to get fewer ads

People that don't rate Holy on 11:44 - Jul 29 with 2230 viewsJakeITFC

People that don't rate Holy on 11:31 - Jul 29 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Most of the distribution issues I saw seemed to be on the players rather than him.

Certainly from where I sit, behind the goal, he saw a player, threw the ball out and the player then switched off and we got caught a couple of times.

The KVY goal against Tranmere - that distribution was all on Holy though and he's very lucky to have an assist there!

His kicking in the game before he got dropped (Rotherham at home I think) was absolutely woeful - they pressed us well and basically let him have all of the time he wanted and he was just 10 yards offline with every kick.

At that point it was probably fair enough - we had a keeper of similar abilities in the wings and if you thought you could improve our ability to keep the ball it was probably a sensible move, however that works a lot better if the rest of the side is settled. Think in the end the Holy/Norris swapping was the ultimate indication of a manager who didn't have a clue what he was doing game to game.
People that don't rate Holy on 11:45 - Jul 29 with 2227 viewsMagicMagilton15

It was touched upon above in the comments, but I think it's ultimately down to his poor distribution. Lambert's game-plan last season, from what we could make of it, ultimately came down to direct football - particularly against the better sides in the division. Holy's kicking was pretty abject. If you look at the kicking from other goalkeepers in the top 8/9 last season, they were generally a lot more consistent.

I think Holy is a decent, solid goalkeeper at this level. As you say, he has a commanding presence and is good in the air. He does make mistakes, more than what a top keeper in this division should arguably be making. The question is whether you can get promoted at this level with him as your first team starter. Due to deficiencies elsewhere in the team, and the fact the club is pleading poverty, I don't think we can afford to sign a ready-made, reliable replacement. Other areas in the team (such as left-back, centre-back, and out wide) require reinforcements. The fact Lambert and the team are trying to identify a second-choice keeper, that can provide competition for the second season running, suggests to me that they're not completely sure Holy is the right fit.
People that don't rate Holy on 11:51 - Jul 29 with 2202 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Numerous mistakes. Burton,Blackpool,Rotherham and more. Cant really kick.

Good aerial ability. Lets just say there is a reason he was playing at Gillingham and conceding shed loads there

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

People that don't rate Holy on 11:57 - Jul 29 with 2190 viewsclive_baker

People that don't rate Holy on 11:51 - Jul 29 by TRUE_BLUE123

Numerous mistakes. Burton,Blackpool,Rotherham and more. Cant really kick.

Good aerial ability. Lets just say there is a reason he was playing at Gillingham and conceding shed loads there

Tranmere at home was a howler IIRC, although we won 4-1 so it didn't really matter.

His distribution is guff. It's an area Norris was significantly better in.

That said, I still give TH the benefit of the doubt, I don't think messing around with the lineups will have helped him. We need a settled keeper and back 4 if we're ever going to look like a cohesive defensive unit. The keeper situation was one Lambert brought on himself quite frankly, it never needed be the issue it became.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

People that don't rate Holy on 12:21 - Jul 29 with 2111 viewsthatdamgood89

Holy is average. I ask people to give me 3-5 games where he has won the club points and outside of Wycombe they struggle. I feel people have taken to him more for his lovely personality than his high-quality play.

I think a club like Ipswich should always be looking at 'higher ceiling' players, with Holy you really do feel this is his potential.

The fact we let someone like Bart go for peanuts in a year we were apparently desperate for promotion really says it all...

Additionally, when you look at oly's stats and compare them to Norris, despite playing more game they are not all that different.

All that said. WE DON'T need another keeper. However the fact our club clearly does should suggest how they really see Tomas Holy.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

People that don't rate Holy on 12:35 - Jul 29 with 2095 viewsBlueBadger

People that don't rate Holy on 11:25 - Jul 29 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

He's better than Norris. That's about as much as we can say for him, really.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

People that don't rate Holy on 12:53 - Jul 29 with 2047 viewsChrisd

The rotation of him and Norris by PL probably didn't help Holy's confidence and if anything unsettled him last season. He must have been playing with an element of fear to not make a mistake, which isn't healthy. I like how he commands his area, is deceive off his line and even with his kicking, which can be erratic when pressed, but when he isn't under pressure Holy kicks so long he can put the opposition's defence on the back foot instantly, which allows us to push higher up the pitch. He needs to be given a fair crack of the whip, after all he's a PL signing, he should have confidence in him. From what I've seen he looks a L1 keeper currently, but I hope that playing regularly and having the trust of those in front of him he shows he has the potential to be even better.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 12:58]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

People that don't rate Holy on 12:58 - Jul 29 with 2032 viewsTieDyedIn95

I don't mind being the bad guy here.

He is bang average at this level and made errors that cost us points last season. He wouldn't get in any Championship side, his kicking is atrocious at times as he just blasts the ball aimlessly into the stands. He's okay at this level, don't get me wrong but even Gillingham improved without him in the side. The results don't lie. Even at the first game of the season he almost gifted Burton 2 goals because of his errors. The difference is better sides than Burton finished their chances and thats why we finished so poorly. I get why the fans want to back him, they want to believe, he is a nice guy and he clearly works hard but the reality is he is a bang average 3rd division keeper and if we were aiming for promotion we would need a better keeper, or at least a better defence for him to work with.

His saving grace last season was Norris was worse. However Norris has mostly been a non-league player his whole career so you expect those errors from him. He should never be playing at this level to begin with. Next season Holy will not have Norris to be compared to, so he will take more heat for the errors he makes and ultimately we do not have a team good enough to compete with the best in this division, as negative as that sounds, and we'll struggle. Especially with an outdated manager with his feet under the desk. Lambert cannot get the best out of these guys. A Nigel Clough type could do. Not Lambert, he's taking the p1ss.

It's a moot point anyway because we won't improve the squad regardless of what the support says or wants as proven year on year, we'll sell what we can and plug gaps with youngsters, frees and loans, it's the Evans way. We're like a beloved pet, struggling to get by day by day in absolute agony and misery that its owner is refusing to put down.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

People that don't rate Holy on 15:54 - Jul 29 with 1863 viewsGarv

People that don't rate Holy on 11:31 - Jul 29 by WarkTheWarkITFC

He almost kicked it out of play but fair play for spotting it. I always enjoy watching that goal just for the shock on KVY's face when he realised how far Holy has kicked it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

People that don't rate Holy on 17:19 - Jul 29 with 1788 viewsSwansea_Blue

I agree. Personally, given how we play, I think his distribution isn't a problem. We don't build from the back. We pass out to the back four, who may make one or two passes before passing it back and the keeper has to hoof it.

If we were a footballing side, I'd be looking to replace him with someone more suited to that game. As it is, I think he's not a priority in terms of strengthening. Maybe getting a couple of genuine footballing defenders might be a better use of limited funds.

I could be talking balls though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

People that don't rate Holy on 17:47 - Jul 29 with 1743 viewsTractorCam

Nope, he was dropped because Norris simply "needed a game", Lambert's words!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024