Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West 21:34 - Jul 30 with 27483 viewsElderGrizzly

And one that will be ignored by those it is imposed on
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:03 - Jul 31 with 6004 viewsBluefish

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:00 - Jul 31 by Libero

Statistically equal in many cases (although that’s not a pertinent point when judging this and of course without the risks involved with travel and crossing paths with tourists coming in from multiple areas across the world with their own unique set of circumstances regarding the virus.

I'm am hopefully going on holiday in 3 weeks to a Greek island to stay in a remote villa that will have been unoccupied for 4 days prior to my arrival and cleaned. The island has considerably less risk than the UK. Are you trying to say I should just not go and it is wrong to go?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:13 - Jul 31 with 5993 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:03 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

I'm am hopefully going on holiday in 3 weeks to a Greek island to stay in a remote villa that will have been unoccupied for 4 days prior to my arrival and cleaned. The island has considerably less risk than the UK. Are you trying to say I should just not go and it is wrong to go?

My instinct is yes, don’t go. Unless you’re planning on driving door to door via your own transport and can organise it so that that Villa is left vacant for approximately 14 days after cleaning.
It’s irrelevant that “the island has considerably less risk than the UK” - simply moving from the area in which you are homed immediately increases risk factors.
You plan on visiting and are heading there from a country that is riddled with covid, yet you will face little to no restrictions...

Ultimately though as you’re well aware, it’s your choice.
You and thousands of others will engage in this kind of non essential risky activity, some will culminate in Covid-19 spreading and some won’t.

Lad I know is in Kos atm, posting lots of videos and pictures, you wouldn’t know anything’s any different over there from what he’s shared.

Wishing you and your loved ones good health and happiness, buh.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:22 - Jul 31 with 5965 viewsBluefish

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:13 - Jul 31 by Libero

My instinct is yes, don’t go. Unless you’re planning on driving door to door via your own transport and can organise it so that that Villa is left vacant for approximately 14 days after cleaning.
It’s irrelevant that “the island has considerably less risk than the UK” - simply moving from the area in which you are homed immediately increases risk factors.
You plan on visiting and are heading there from a country that is riddled with covid, yet you will face little to no restrictions...

You and thousands of others will engage in this kind of non essential risky activity, some will culminate in Covid-19 spreading and some won’t.

Lad I know is in Kos atm, posting lots of videos and pictures, you wouldn’t know anything’s any different over there from what he’s shared.

Taking out the flying part I fail to see how it is riskier than being here unless you share my parents views that foreigners are more risky and the real spreaders of covid.

The flying bit is a risk but realistically probably no more so than using the train here or sitting in a pub here. Regular sanitisation will obviously be used throughout.

Once I arrive in Greece I will be tested and once I have the all clear we can stay in our villa for 2 weeks or if we feel safe visit the vast uncrowded beaches or eat in outdoor restaurants. That is safer than being here where we have the highest excess death rates, crowded pubs and people being encouraged to return to offices

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:31 - Jul 31 with 5944 viewsStokieBlue

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 00:43 - Jul 31 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The lethality of Covid is low for certain groups of society that is clear. So protecting the vulnerable and re-opening the economy cautiously is the right approach. A large proportion of the population and going to be way more affected by economic turmoil, mental health issues and more.

Lockdowns seem to be a bit reactionary once there is a spike and are not having the desired effect. Some interesting data from recent outbreak in Australia on this (Victoria I believe).
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 0:51]

Do you have the data which shows lockdown isn't effective against spikes?

Because it's been exceedingly effective in curtailing the virus. Studies simulating no lockdowns have resulted in tens of millions of deaths as their conclusions.

We are up to nearly 700,000 deaths now with pretty severe restrictions on human interaction, imagine what it would have been like with none.

Sometimes an example is easier to relate to than numbers so globally that would be the equivalent to everyone in the non-metropolitan area of Boston dying. For the US alone it's greater than the entire population of Ipswich dying.

SB
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 9:03]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:35 - Jul 31 with 5925 viewsKeno

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:31 - Jul 31 by StokieBlue

Do you have the data which shows lockdown isn't effective against spikes?

Because it's been exceedingly effective in curtailing the virus. Studies simulating no lockdowns have resulted in tens of millions of deaths as their conclusions.

We are up to nearly 700,000 deaths now with pretty severe restrictions on human interaction, imagine what it would have been like with none.

Sometimes an example is easier to relate to than numbers so globally that would be the equivalent to everyone in the non-metropolitan area of Boston dying. For the US alone it's greater than the entire population of Ipswich dying.

SB
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 9:03]

dont you mean no other country is led by such a massive dip?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:39 - Jul 31 with 5922 viewsHerbivore

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:22 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

Taking out the flying part I fail to see how it is riskier than being here unless you share my parents views that foreigners are more risky and the real spreaders of covid.

The flying bit is a risk but realistically probably no more so than using the train here or sitting in a pub here. Regular sanitisation will obviously be used throughout.

Once I arrive in Greece I will be tested and once I have the all clear we can stay in our villa for 2 weeks or if we feel safe visit the vast uncrowded beaches or eat in outdoor restaurants. That is safer than being here where we have the highest excess death rates, crowded pubs and people being encouraged to return to offices

I'd say flying is pretty risky and more so than on the train or in the pub where you can effectively socially distance. On a plane you are crammed in for 3-4 hours on the plane itself with a couple of hundred people you don't know who may or may not be following safety protocols stringently. You can't social distance on a flight. The airport at both ends will also be full of people in a relatively enclosed space, people from all over. That adds to the risk too. If you could teleport to your villa there'd be no issue but since you have to fly that is the bit that I would say is especially risky. I won't be flying this year and will review next Spring and see how things look then.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 8:56]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:41 - Jul 31 with 5914 viewslongtimefan

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:26 - Jul 31 by Libero

It’s all relative and depends on where you are in the country and how well the area is conforming to social distancing and other basic preventative and protective measures.

Me personally, the most risky thing I have done is take a train from Stowmarket to Ipswich, walked to Ribbans Park and met with 3 friends in a friends garden for a few drinks, even that I decided retrospectively probably isn’t the brightest thing to do, but I did take measures such as vigourots hand washing, anti baccing, wearing a mask (obviously) changing clothes between train>mates garden>mates garden>train>train to my house (yes, I took a Dolly size rucksack with me, full of clothes and plastic bags to double bag clothes after changing)

As I said earlier in the thread, I live in a really safe area where everything appears to be going okay and people appear to be conforming to the rules pretty well, but I can’t justify going to the pub at the moment. It only takes one berk in there to have not followed the rules, or to have seen someone who has not followed the rules, or to have seen someone who has seen someone who has not followed the rules, etc.

I’m forced into a level of risk every few day due to having to work in office 2/3 days a week, but again these are small circles and predictable movements.
Other than that the only people we see we vet carefully about what they’ve been up to, we judge their behaviours and movements and asses if we consider them a risk to our families health and the relative freedoms that were currently lucky enough to experience.
I appreciate that’s not an exact Science but if you’re diligent and ask the right questions for the right reasons our experience is that people respond well and respect the fact you’re thinking about not only your safety but theirs too.

The UK needs a reality check, we’re in a tenuous position, no amount of government bluster and bullsh1t is going to change that.

This is a pandemic, we should all be exercising caution.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:33]

“ we judge their behaviours and movements and asses ”

Is it only the ones you judge to have good ‘asses’ that you let in

Sorry couldn’t resist!
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 8:42]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:42 - Jul 31 with 5910 viewsKeno

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:39 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

I'd say flying is pretty risky and more so than on the train or in the pub where you can effectively socially distance. On a plane you are crammed in for 3-4 hours on the plane itself with a couple of hundred people you don't know who may or may not be following safety protocols stringently. You can't social distance on a flight. The airport at both ends will also be full of people in a relatively enclosed space, people from all over. That adds to the risk too. If you could teleport to your villa there'd be no issue but since you have to fly that is the bit that I would say is especially risky. I won't be flying this year and will review next Spring and see how things look then.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 8:56]

we have just cancelled a holiday in southern Italy cos of the airport and in-flight issues

Especially after last September when I picked up an 'easy-jet' virus which had symptoms that were exactly as described as Coronavirus symptoms

Login to get fewer ads

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:42 - Jul 31 with 5914 viewsStokieBlue

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:35 - Jul 31 by Keno

dont you mean no other country is led by such a massive dip?

Sorry - I've edited that post so I will reply to you separately.

The latest graphs are here:

If you look at the US if follows the general C19 trend of exponentional growth at the start followed by a long tail as the lockdown measures take effect. However where the other countries taper to very few cases and persist at that level the US has risen again on a steep gradient and back up to over 1000 deaths a day.

This is directly caused by opening up again far too early, something the poster was saying should be done as long as the weak, old and vulnerable are put under "house arrest" as Paz would put it.

He's right that there are unknown mental and economic issues that can result from lockdowns but there are known deaths that will result from not locking down. Not everyone who dies is old or vulnerable and if you totally open up a country with 400m people then there will be a lot die who aren't in that category.

SB

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:45 - Jul 31 with 5906 viewsStokieBlue

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:42 - Jul 31 by Keno

we have just cancelled a holiday in southern Italy cos of the airport and in-flight issues

Especially after last September when I picked up an 'easy-jet' virus which had symptoms that were exactly as described as Coronavirus symptoms

That probably couldn't have been C19 (have you been antibody tested?) as it wasn't likely to be circulating in any big volume in Europe at the time.

The trouble is that C19 has symptoms which overlap many other viruses so people often think they have had it when they haven't.

Sensible to cancel I think, I've cancelled all mine this year. As you say, it's more the travel than what it will be like once you arrive.

SB
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 8:46]

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:51 - Jul 31 with 5896 viewsDubtractor

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:22 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

Its a tricky one isn't it? I personally wouldn't go on a plane at the moment, but there is a part of me that thinks that as the virus begins to recede we need to take baby steps to try and live a more normal life.

We've stuck to rules pretty strictly over the last few months, helped by me being able to work at home. Mrs Dub being a teacher has meant some exposure risk, but without issue in fairness. We've had a few very small gatherings of friends in the garden once that was allowed, and at the weekend we're going to spend time inside a friend's house (as per guidance) for the first time.

All of this though has to be considered in the context that the virus in Suffolk currently is at a very low level, and we know that our friends are also super cautious about what they do also. Dare I say it, an element of common sense comes in to it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:51 - Jul 31 with 5895 viewsLibero

Problem is mate you can't just "take out the flying part" - it's a key risk that essentially nullifies the validity of the test you will receive upon arrival.

The virus can incubate within you and not be detected by the test. It most certainly isn't "safe than being here" - as I say, the nature of simply deviating from your usual activity massively increases your risk profile.

Regardless, you don't have to justify your choices to mate, I only offered my view as you asked.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:52 - Jul 31 with 5888 viewsKeno

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:45 - Jul 31 by StokieBlue

That probably couldn't have been C19 (have you been antibody tested?) as it wasn't likely to be circulating in any big volume in Europe at the time.

The trouble is that C19 has symptoms which overlap many other viruses so people often think they have had it when they haven't.

Sensible to cancel I think, I've cancelled all mine this year. As you say, it's more the travel than what it will be like once you arrive.

SB
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 8:46]

No I haven't been tested and yes I know its unlikely, just spooky!!

Think It will be some months yet until we begin to look at anything like 'normal' although I suspect a new normal will not be what we were used to

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:53 - Jul 31 with 5888 viewsmikeybloo88

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:13 - Jul 31 by Libero

I'd be interested to know what your criteria are for deeming when you think it will be OK for people to travel abroad without calling them selfish. I assume they will be more stringent than just when it is permissible to do so as long as all prescribed safety measures are followed, as is currently the cade. Do you have a figure in your head of what infection rates should be when you think people can travel again without fear of censure, or does everyone need to be vaccinated before you'll deem it OK?
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:56 - Jul 31 with 5881 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:51 - Jul 31 by Dubtractor

Its a tricky one isn't it? I personally wouldn't go on a plane at the moment, but there is a part of me that thinks that as the virus begins to recede we need to take baby steps to try and live a more normal life.

We've stuck to rules pretty strictly over the last few months, helped by me being able to work at home. Mrs Dub being a teacher has meant some exposure risk, but without issue in fairness. We've had a few very small gatherings of friends in the garden once that was allowed, and at the weekend we're going to spend time inside a friend's house (as per guidance) for the first time.

All of this though has to be considered in the context that the virus in Suffolk currently is at a very low level, and we know that our friends are also super cautious about what they do also. Dare I say it, an element of common sense comes in to it.

Balanced and fair.

I think you're right, and in order for us to assess the baby steps that are suitable we all need to be hyper aware of the risk profile not only of our local area but our own movements.
Evidently this is kind of objective analysis of the self and the circumstances on finds themselves in is something that a lot of people struggle with.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:59 - Jul 31 with 5869 viewsHerbivore

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:42 - Jul 31 by Keno

Indeed. The number of times I've picked up a bug when flying makes me very wary about doing so now when Covid is still in the general population. Just not worth it for me.

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:01 - Jul 31 with 5863 viewsHerbivore

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:53 - Jul 31 by mikeybloo88

I'd be interested to know what your criteria are for deeming when you think it will be OK for people to travel abroad without calling them selfish. I assume they will be more stringent than just when it is permissible to do so as long as all prescribed safety measures are followed, as is currently the cade. Do you have a figure in your head of what infection rates should be when you think people can travel again without fear of censure, or does everyone need to be vaccinated before you'll deem it OK?

Everyone acts selfishly from time to time, maybe just own that rather than being so defensive.

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:03 - Jul 31 with 5852 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:53 - Jul 31 by mikeybloo88

I personally do not think there is an acceptable reason to fly abroad currently.

I've spoken in other threads and a bit in this one where I've said that maybe if you're going to a holiday home that you know has been vacant for X weeks and that you're using your own transport to travel door to door without stopping there is some kind of justification, but realistically that isn't doable for most people.

You cannot give a one size fits all flat figure, when assessing this stuff you need to consider the wider context such as acclimation/acceptance of the protective/preventative measures and social distancing, who else is being let in the country and from where, the kind of movements the individual and those serving the individual will make while on holiday.
Frankly there's a myriad of permutations that are just unworkable, it really really really should be that all non-essential travel between countries is cancelled.

Things can change very quickly, I'm not going to sit here and make bold predictions moving forwards when it's something that we just don't understand yet. All we can do right now is live in the moment and keep our social movements and circles as small and predictable as possible.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 9:06]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:05 - Jul 31 with 5842 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:59 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

Indeed. The number of times I've picked up a bug when flying makes me very wary about doing so now when Covid is still in the general population. Just not worth it for me.

I find it gobsmacking that in a global pandemic so much focus is given on holidays. Absolutely absurd, stranger than fiction tbh.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:10 - Jul 31 with 5825 viewsStokieBlue

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:05 - Jul 31 by Libero

I find it gobsmacking that in a global pandemic so much focus is given on holidays. Absolutely absurd, stranger than fiction tbh.

I think you need to consider that there are millions of jobs that are linked to holidays in all parts of the chain (parking, shops in the airport, the airlines, hotels, restaurants, activities etc) and they are pushing a view of the world which is more normalised so that people feel more comfortable to go on a holiday.

I don't feel it's particularly supported by the facts but I do understand why people are made to feel it's acceptable to go away. People working in that sector need to pay for their homes and feed their families and if Europe goes back into lockdown many of those jobs will be gone.

You are clearly correct that holidays aren't needed at this time and they shouldn't be the focus.

SB

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:10 - Jul 31 with 5824 viewsitfcjoe

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:51 - Jul 31 by Dubtractor

I feel like I've given up on it now to be honest, I'm back at work and whilst still elements of it from home I have to travel round to sites, have walkround swith people, site meetings etc. I'm back at the gym as is my wife, my kids are back at nursery, etc.

I am doing what I want in reality, whilst wearing a mask if shopping and keeping social distances where possible - I went into town Saturday night which I probably wouldn't do again as just goes out the window.

It feels like we are in the 'new normal' now, so best get used to living this way

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:11 - Jul 31 with 5815 viewsitfcjoe

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:10 - Jul 31 by StokieBlue

I think you need to consider that there are millions of jobs that are linked to holidays in all parts of the chain (parking, shops in the airport, the airlines, hotels, restaurants, activities etc) and they are pushing a view of the world which is more normalised so that people feel more comfortable to go on a holiday.

I don't feel it's particularly supported by the facts but I do understand why people are made to feel it's acceptable to go away. People working in that sector need to pay for their homes and feed their families and if Europe goes back into lockdown many of those jobs will be gone.

You are clearly correct that holidays aren't needed at this time and they shouldn't be the focus.

SB

Wasn't there holiday vouchers given to NHS workers as well? Or did I dream that.

So people being told to go and reward yourself with a well needed holiday....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:13 - Jul 31 with 5810 viewsHerbivore

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:05 - Jul 31 by Libero

People in England have such a sense of entitlement that they think a foreign holiday is a right rather than a luxury. The fact is that foreign travel for holidays is selfish at the best of times given how polluting planes are as a form of transport. Even taking one holiday a year adds massively to your carbon footprint.

I am happy to own that when I take a foreign holiday I am being selfish, I try to compensate by donating money to carbon offsetting against the flight emissions and being vegan means my carbon footprint is smaller than most anyway and I also walk or take public transport wherever possible. But the act of taking a foreign holiday is still selfish. I don't need it. It's a luxury. It negatively impacts on the environment. But I do it anyway because people - all people - do things that are selfish. They should own those things rather than being defensive and entitled all the time.

Edit - I'd add that in England we live in a culture where selfishness has been not just normallsed but celebrated as a virtue for much of the last half a century. So when you point out that the 'normal' thing someone is defending is actually quite a selfish thing to do that's probably why they get all uppity.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 9:16]

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:16 - Jul 31 with 5788 viewsBluefish

You know we have had previous pandemics too? It seems the criteria of when it is tight to travel doesmt belong to global governments or scientists it belongs to a few people from Suffolk.

The numbers of crete are ridiculous in comparison to here, if anything they should not be letting me in but they are happy to test and rely on people acting reasonably. To say that it is riskier there than here amongst the chaos sounds a bit xenophobic, that is probably too strong a word but it seems the fear that foreigners are the carriers

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:18 - Jul 31 with 5788 viewsHerbivore

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 09:16 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

You know we have had previous pandemics too? It seems the criteria of when it is tight to travel doesmt belong to global governments or scientists it belongs to a few people from Suffolk.

The numbers of crete are ridiculous in comparison to here, if anything they should not be letting me in but they are happy to test and rely on people acting reasonably. To say that it is riskier there than here amongst the chaos sounds a bit xenophobic, that is probably too strong a word but it seems the fear that foreigners are the carriers

How are you getting there, mate? Teleportation?

We have had pandemics before but nothing remotely on this scale in our lifetime. Let's not try and pretend this isn't a big deal that we're living through.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024