Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town keen on Keogh? 11:32 - Aug 3 with 11593 viewsSwailsey

No thanks.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Town keen on Keogh? on 13:35 - Aug 3 with 2800 viewsportmanking

Town keen on Keogh? on 13:29 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

It really isn't, he has all of the attributes of a fine cb as I have been saying for years and we finally got to see last season. Plenty of midfielders have moved back to cb, we had a player called John Wark that did it rather well. A couple of famous names are Kompany and Southgate from elsewhere. Skuse is a far more talented player than Keogh

Cole Skuse would get roughed up week in, week out at this level. He'd be a forward's wet dream.
Town keen on Keogh? on 13:41 - Aug 3 with 2766 viewstractorboy1978

Town keen on Keogh? on 13:31 - Aug 3 by Garv

Like Nolan and Nsiala?

There's got to be a balance. For me we seriously lack experience and leadership. We need someone to come in with the aspiration of replacing Chambers, and so I don't think Keogh is really the right choice, especially considering his injury, but it's not the worst shout in the world.

Clearly not. Smith would be an obvious option - late twenties/early 30's are generally prime age for a CB. He'd be an obvious future captain too.

I disagree re lacking experience and leadership. What we lacked was pace, creativity, mobility and goals.
Town keen on Keogh? on 13:48 - Aug 3 with 2753 viewsChocorange

Town keen on Keogh? on 12:31 - Aug 3 by Mullet

You also said he was better than what we had with no way of knowing that right now. (Has he kicked a ball since the accident incidentally I'm assuming he didn't play non-league or anything since being sacked?)

The case for him seems to get flimsier by the minute.

Keogh Is a far more capable defender than any we have at the club.
He is a leader with much international experience.

Look at the job Collins did while here , took the pressure off chambo, put his body on the line to block , organised , we were a much more solid team with this type of player.

The key is staying fit , if he can do that it’s a no Braine right stonewall yes.
Town keen on Keogh? on 14:07 - Aug 3 with 2726 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Not for me. Not going to be fit until November, won't have played football for 12 months and with no pre season isn't going to be ready until the New Year.

He will be 34 then fast approaching 35, will he ever get back to full fitness, possibly. Was a good defender, not for me that one.

Tommy Smith a much better option, younger, fitter, balance with left foot and can have full pre season.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 14:07]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:12 - Aug 3 with 2713 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Town keen on Keogh? on 11:34 - Aug 3 by portmanking

We're clearly on separate pages in terms of footballing philosophy, because Keogh would be a 100% yes for me.

A) Town fan/links
B) Proven performer and reasonably good distribution
C) Another leader that the dressing room sorely lacks

I'm not sure he's a town fan, he was a school boy until 16 wasn't he. Not sure he was ever a Town fan was he.

He was a good performer, but that was before he sustained anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligament damage.

He won't be fit until November, by then he'll be 34, no pre season and won't have played football for 12 months.

Not for me.

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:15 - Aug 3 with 2710 viewsHipsterectomy

what a car crash signing

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:20 - Aug 3 with 2703 viewsHerbivore

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:15 - Aug 3 by Hipsterectomy

what a car crash signing

It is very Jewellesque. Lambert does remind me a lot of Jewell, just without the willingness to play with the reckless abandon that occasionally meant we put in a stonking performance.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:28 - Aug 3 with 2677 viewshaynes_toe1

I don't believe this is actually true. Gotta be made up by a Norwich fan on a wind up or something.

The stick Chambers gets and we're literally going to sign a car-crash version of him
Login to get fewer ads

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:30 - Aug 3 with 2677 viewsGarv

Town keen on Keogh? on 13:41 - Aug 3 by tractorboy1978

Clearly not. Smith would be an obvious option - late twenties/early 30's are generally prime age for a CB. He'd be an obvious future captain too.

I disagree re lacking experience and leadership. What we lacked was pace, creativity, mobility and goals.

We lack a lot of things!

As a I asked on a different thread, though, who's our captain/motivator if Chambers wasn't here anymore? And as much as we all respect him, for good reason, he himself hasn't done a great job of motivating in the last couple of years has he?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:32 - Aug 3 with 2672 viewsHerbivore

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:30 - Aug 3 by Garv

We lack a lot of things!

As a I asked on a different thread, though, who's our captain/motivator if Chambers wasn't here anymore? And as much as we all respect him, for good reason, he himself hasn't done a great job of motivating in the last couple of years has he?

It's not easy being a captain under incompetent management surrounded by inconsistent or just not very good teammates. I think people expect him to work miracles sometimes. Not many captains are able to get their team playing when the manager is clearly out of his depth and the squad has been stripped of its best players.

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:39 - Aug 3 with 2649 viewstractorboy1978

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:32 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

It's not easy being a captain under incompetent management surrounded by inconsistent or just not very good teammates. I think people expect him to work miracles sometimes. Not many captains are able to get their team playing when the manager is clearly out of his depth and the squad has been stripped of its best players.

Quite. A well briefed and drilled side shouldn't need many words once they are out of the pitch. When players are rotating in and out of different roles in different formations from game to game it's hardly surprising they looked like they didn't know what they were doing half the time.
Town keen on Keogh? on 14:44 - Aug 3 with 2637 viewsHerbivore

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:39 - Aug 3 by tractorboy1978

Quite. A well briefed and drilled side shouldn't need many words once they are out of the pitch. When players are rotating in and out of different roles in different formations from game to game it's hardly surprising they looked like they didn't know what they were doing half the time.

Indeed. I've seen ex-pros discussing that generally you don't seem to get so many 'characters' or leaders in the game these days. Players are picked up so young now and they are coached and drilled from a very young age within the bubble of the academy system. It's not necessarily conducive to developing natural leaders as much of what they do on and off the field is heavily directed by others.

Whether there's much truth in that is hard to say, but I do feel like people overestimate the captain's role on the pitch. If we look at sea on the pitch it's because the side hasn't been set up right and given a clear way of playing. It's not the captain's role to change that, it's the manager's. I think the captain has more of a role to play in helping to set expectations and set the tone at the club, lead by example. Also being there for other players if they need a listening ear. Chambers is, by all accounts, excellent in that respect.

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:04 - Aug 3 with 2599 viewsGarv

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:32 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

He wouldn't need to work miracles if he had a few more experienced heads around him, that's my point.

I agree, there's only so much one player can do if they're surrounded by mugs, but the general consensus is that we're hugely underachieving at the moment. When the crap hits the fan they don't often look likely to pull up their sleeves and turn it round. Management is huge but players have to take some responsibility too.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 16:28]

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:12 - Aug 3 with 2580 viewsHerbivore

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:04 - Aug 3 by Garv

He wouldn't need to work miracles if he had a few more experienced heads around him, that's my point.

I agree, there's only so much one player can do if they're surrounded by mugs, but the general consensus is that we're hugely underachieving at the moment. When the crap hits the fan they don't often look likely to pull up their sleeves and turn it round. Management is huge but players have to take some responsibility too.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 16:28]

I'm not sure that's true. Our issues aren't about a lack of effort or motivation, they are about us not looking like we know how we're meant to be playing. Even when we were winning other sides just looked more organised and much clearer about how they were meant to play. As the season progressed that got shown up more and more.

I agree with the general point though that a few more leaders wouldn't go amiss. Not one of the players brought in by Hurst came with any kind of voice or presence. Compare that with the players he let go. It's a big hole and one that Lambert hasn't really addressed either.

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:24 - Aug 3 with 2569 viewsitfcjoe

No way for me, although I've heard the rumour is true.

He's basically 12 months younger than Chambers, coming back from a serious injury and at that age very few guarantees.

And then the off field stuff, he was their long-serving captain and they literally sacked him.

I think everyone is of a similar opinion that Chambers is in his last year or two, and if we were to achieve our goal of getting back into the Championship he is very unlikely to be able to step up.

Why replace him with someone who is going to be the same, Keogh has been a bit better than Chambers throughout career, but can't say that he will get back tp those levels.

A backwards move which just pushes an issue down the road a bit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:53 - Aug 3 with 2527 viewsPhilTWTD

Town keen on Keogh? on 14:12 - Aug 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

I'm not sure he's a town fan, he was a school boy until 16 wasn't he. Not sure he was ever a Town fan was he.

He was a good performer, but that was before he sustained anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligament damage.

He won't be fit until November, by then he'll be 34, no pre season and won't have played football for 12 months.

Not for me.

Whether he was a Town fan I don't know, but I read a piece some years ago when he was enthusing about the Burley era and the first Premier League season when he was a ballboy. I can't find the piece in question unfortunately.
Town keen on Keogh? on 15:56 - Aug 3 with 2513 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:53 - Aug 3 by PhilTWTD

Whether he was a Town fan I don't know, but I read a piece some years ago when he was enthusing about the Burley era and the first Premier League season when he was a ballboy. I can't find the piece in question unfortunately.

Who wasn't enthusing about the Burley era and the first Premier League season, great memories!

Town keen on Keogh? on 16:34 - Aug 3 with 2481 viewsGarv

Town keen on Keogh? on 15:12 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

I'm not sure that's true. Our issues aren't about a lack of effort or motivation, they are about us not looking like we know how we're meant to be playing. Even when we were winning other sides just looked more organised and much clearer about how they were meant to play. As the season progressed that got shown up more and more.

I agree with the general point though that a few more leaders wouldn't go amiss. Not one of the players brought in by Hurst came with any kind of voice or presence. Compare that with the players he let go. It's a big hole and one that Lambert hasn't really addressed either.

Yep. You can argue that's down to a lack of organisation and communication, from both management and players. We're a soft touch basically, is my view. You often see frustrated looks between players when things aren't going well, and little tiffs like I remember Judge and Edwards having in the Coventry (maybe Fleetwood) game at the back end, but I don't see much constructive talking going on.

Town keen on Keogh? on 16:40 - Aug 3 with 2474 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Town keen on Keogh? on 18:19 - Aug 3 with 2432 viewsstopmoaning

He is probably still too good for us, he's likely to have better offers unless he is keen purely because of where we are located. Assuming he's still the same player, he's much better than what we have now.
Town keen on Keogh? on 13:08 - Aug 4 with 2332 viewsradiogaga

Town keen on Keogh? on 11:38 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

If he's still got his legs he could be good in this league, agreed. Although I'm not sure how it helps the balance with him and Chambers both playing; two slow old timers. Depends how many we play at the back and what happens with Woolf too I suppose.

Clearly you would start with Woolfy/ Chambers and adjust the combination throughout the season as there will be more Saturday/ Tuesday/ Saturday weeks than not, so the odd bit of rotation will be a common theme (it's fine as long as it doesn't become wholesale). Keogh won't be fit for a few months anyway.

I agree there are perhaps younger/ more immediately available options out there, but keeping to Keogh I think he would bring a lot to the squad. Another leader we desperately lack, was excellent under Lampard the season before his injury, and would be good for Woolfenden's development.

Re off the field issues, no defence as he was clearly very stupid that night. Prior to that, he had captained Derby for several seasons.

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Town keen on Keogh? on 16:01 - Aug 4 with 2288 viewsEireannach_gorm

I think that the moral outrage regarding even considering Keogh because of his off field activities is a little unbalanced. Tony Adams successfully played for club and country after serving time in prison for actual drunk driving. Tony had an addiction problem , Richard appears to have made a bad call influenced by alcohol.

The only issue I would have with bringing in Keogh is the injury at his age and his capacity to return to his former performance levels. Much like a lot of good players that we have acquired over the last few years, the injury casts a shadow over the wisdom of taking him on. The problem with what happens when we acquire an injury prone or injured player is that we do not use them sensibly. Our inability to manage such players ( McGoldrick a glaring example ) means that we always end up losing out. This is why we should pass on Keogh and try and acquire an up and coming youngster. Tommy would be a shot to nothing and probably a cheap option. Paul needs to cultivate a good team unit and not a collection of talented individuals ( Keogh's former club is an example of the folly of the latter ). Unfortunately I don't see any sign of this actually happening with no indicate he possesses Micks ability to make a team of average players gel. The CB situation was there two seasons ago and has not been solved and it is more likely we will lose our only potential success in that area. Management at the club have been very poor in addressing the obvious weakness in defense. You start with defense when you are creating a functional team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024