Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... 00:18 - Aug 14 with 11419 viewseddiespearitt03

So Kieffer Moore lined up for a £2 mill move. Yet he was prevented from a chance to flourish at this club despite only costing 10 grand. We can all probably guess why he was not given time.

Looking at the kind of players we are now recruiting it is near on certain it is going to be another frustrating time watching football at Portman Road.
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:25 - Aug 14 with 7492 viewsBlueBadger

'We can all probably guess why he was not given time.'

I can. It's because he was utterly shocking every time he turned out for us.
But also 'booo Mick'
[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 0:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:26 - Aug 14 with 7482 viewsmadmouse1959

We still have Freddie, Chambers & Skuse and now Stephen Ward and Hawkins. Plenty of experience there.

shampoo dave

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:27 - Aug 14 with 7491 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

When we signed KM for £10k, was your reaction something along the lines of...

"Looking at the kind of players we are now recruiting it is near on certain it is going to be another frustrating time watching football at Portman Road."

By any chance?
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:28 - Aug 14 with 7479 viewsmadmouse1959

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:25 - Aug 14 by BlueBadger

But also 'booo Mick'

I think he should have been given more time. Evans wanted a quick profit & he was not one of McCarthy,s proper blokes.

shampoo dave

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:28 - Aug 14 with 7466 viewsBlueBadger

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:26 - Aug 14 by madmouse1959

We still have Freddie, Chambers & Skuse and now Stephen Ward and Hawkins. Plenty of experience there.

We also have Lambert. A man who will learn from his mistakes. The same mistakes he's been making for most of the last decade.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:32 - Aug 14 with 7477 viewsPhilTWTD

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:27 - Aug 14 by King_ding_a_lin_g

"Looking at the kind of players we are now recruiting it is near on certain it is going to be another frustrating time watching football at Portman Road."

By any chance?

[Pedant mode]Kieffer Moore cost £20,000[/pedant mode]

Think a lot of people's reaction to KM's signing was along those lines.
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:33 - Aug 14 with 7447 viewsBlueBadger

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:28 - Aug 14 by madmouse1959

I think he should have been given more time. Evans wanted a quick profit & he was not one of McCarthy,s proper blokes.

It's fair to say that he's no Will Keane and has done NOTHING for the Match Day Experience.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 0:35]

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:35 - Aug 14 with 7456 viewseddiespearitt03

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:27 - Aug 14 by King_ding_a_lin_g

By any chance?

Well, considering Kieffer Moore was a young player i would of thought he had time to progress. Certainly a big target man but looked bad because of the defensive football we were playing. We spent most of that time with a 5 man defence and a deep midfield chasing shadows. Kieffer Moore could of been a good target man if we played to his strengths. Daryl Murphy had the same frustrations, many games he had no decent service. I was at these games.
Login to get fewer ads

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:40 - Aug 14 with 7436 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:32 - Aug 14 by PhilTWTD

[Pedant mode]Kieffer Moore cost £20,000[/pedant mode]

Think a lot of people's reaction to KM's signing was along those lines.

Fair enough... I even checked the OP £10k figure to the TWTD news article on 14th Jan 2017 when we signed him and it matched so I went with it!
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:40 - Aug 14 with 7442 viewsKeaneish

I think it’s more a reflection of how painfully ridiculous and largely forgettable football is becoming that he commands that value. Any player is a bargain at £10k these days but make no mistake, and do not let time cloud you’re judgement, he’s terrible and not, and never should be, fit for this club.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:52 - Aug 14 with 7408 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:40 - Aug 14 by Keaneish

I think it’s more a reflection of how painfully ridiculous and largely forgettable football is becoming that he commands that value. Any player is a bargain at £10k these days but make no mistake, and do not let time cloud you’re judgement, he’s terrible and not, and never should be, fit for this club.

You wouldn't be happy if we signed someone who had scored 30 goals in his last 53 games at our level?
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 07:58 - Aug 14 with 7102 viewsFixed_It

'We can all probably guess why he wasn't given time'.

Is it because all the evidence was that he wasn't a very good footballer?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:08 - Aug 14 with 7065 viewsHerbivore

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:28 - Aug 14 by madmouse1959

Yeah, that's not what happened though. Nice work for having a guess at what happened but when what actually happened is pretty well documented, your guess isn't really up to much.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:09 - Aug 14 with 7060 viewsHerbivore

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:35 - Aug 14 by eddiespearitt03

Well, considering Kieffer Moore was a young player i would of thought he had time to progress. Certainly a big target man but looked bad because of the defensive football we were playing. We spent most of that time with a 5 man defence and a deep midfield chasing shadows. Kieffer Moore could of been a good target man if we played to his strengths. Daryl Murphy had the same frustrations, many games he had no decent service. I was at these games.

Did you have your eyes closed?

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:20 - Aug 14 with 7019 viewshype313

There seems to be a trend on here with people that bemoan the low fees we have paid, yet strongly suggest we look around the local leagues for talent
[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 8:20]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:25 - Aug 14 with 6995 viewsitfcjoe

He wasn't given time because he had clubs chasing him (in the league below) and was going to get a big pay rise there so wanted the move.

Evans asked Mick if he was going to come back and play regularly, and he said no, because at the time we had Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick and Sears who were all better.

So Evans thought it was worth cashing in on our 5th choice striker who was going to become unhappy without a new deal

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Back of the net on 08:33 - Aug 14 with 6957 viewsDyland

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:25 - Aug 14 by itfcjoe

He wasn't given time because he had clubs chasing him (in the league below) and was going to get a big pay rise there so wanted the move.

Evans asked Mick if he was going to come back and play regularly, and he said no, because at the time we had Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick and Sears who were all better.

So Evans thought it was worth cashing in on our 5th choice striker who was going to become unhappy without a new deal

"Evans asked Mick if he was going to come back and play regularly, and he said no, because at the time we had Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick and Sears who were all better."

It's not hard is it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Back of the net on 08:43 - Aug 14 with 6910 viewsHerbivore

Back of the net on 08:33 - Aug 14 by Dyland

"Evans asked Mick if he was going to come back and play regularly, and he said no, because at the time we had Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick and Sears who were all better."

It's not hard is it.

Nope, not hard at all. At best he'd have got a bit of game time off the bench, ten minutes here and there, and probably looked out of his depth. He wanted to go and play football and be the main man somewhere and get a decent contract too. It's really not rocket science.

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:50 - Aug 14 with 6887 viewsSouperJim

This post is fantastic. You're referencing Kieffer Moore as an example of a player we didn't give a chance and has proved us wrong, while being disparaging about players who haven't even signed yet.

Self aware much?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 8:52]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:50 - Aug 14 with 6888 viewsPhilTWTD

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:40 - Aug 14 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Fair enough... I even checked the OP £10k figure to the TWTD news article on 14th Jan 2017 when we signed him and it matched so I went with it!

Ha, I take the blame entirely then. Mick McCarthy confirmed it was £20,000 after we drew at Norwich the month after we signed him: “They put a £9 million substitute on [Alex Pritchard] and I put one on who cost £20,000 from Forest Green [Kieffer Moore]. "

McCarthy Happy With a Point 26th Feb 2017 15:50
Town boss Mick McCarthy admitted he would have been happy with a point before kick-off after the Blues’ 1-1 draw with East Anglian rivals Norwich City at Carrow Road. Jonas Knudsen netted his second derby goal of the season on 63 but Jacob Murphy equalised for the Canaries six minutes later. 37

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:59 - Aug 14 with 6850 viewspatrickswell

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:50 - Aug 14 by PhilTWTD

Ha, I take the blame entirely then. Mick McCarthy confirmed it was £20,000 after we drew at Norwich the month after we signed him: “They put a £9 million substitute on [Alex Pritchard] and I put one on who cost £20,000 from Forest Green [Kieffer Moore]. "

McCarthy Happy With a Point 26th Feb 2017 15:50
Town boss Mick McCarthy admitted he would have been happy with a point before kick-off after the Blues’ 1-1 draw with East Anglian rivals Norwich City at Carrow Road. Jonas Knudsen netted his second derby goal of the season on 63 but Jacob Murphy equalised for the Canaries six minutes later. 37

It’s funny, I’ve criticised McCarthy in the past for being happy to act as a shield for Evans over his last 2 years here, but with the numbers quoted there, I’m convinced McCarthy was subtly trolling Evans for his January “investments” by buying players like Moore and even Danny Rowe who he was never really going to use.

Keiffer kicked on splendidly but with Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick, Sears and Celina in the building it didn’t seem like a mistake to let him go at that time. I’m guessing that he has subsequently outscored all our strikers over the last 2-3 years with the possible exception of Norwood if we factor in his Tranmere goals.
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 09:02 - Aug 14 with 6831 viewsPhilTWTD

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:59 - Aug 14 by patrickswell

It’s funny, I’ve criticised McCarthy in the past for being happy to act as a shield for Evans over his last 2 years here, but with the numbers quoted there, I’m convinced McCarthy was subtly trolling Evans for his January “investments” by buying players like Moore and even Danny Rowe who he was never really going to use.

Keiffer kicked on splendidly but with Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick, Sears and Celina in the building it didn’t seem like a mistake to let him go at that time. I’m guessing that he has subsequently outscored all our strikers over the last 2-3 years with the possible exception of Norwood if we factor in his Tranmere goals.

Mick has always looked at players from the sort of market Moore and Rowe came from. Getting Daryl Murphy from Waterford when he was at Sunderland and in the Premier League is another example, Michael Kightly from Grays when he was at Wolves.
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 09:05 - Aug 14 with 6810 viewsHerbivore

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 08:59 - Aug 14 by patrickswell

It's worth noting with Kieffer that his almost half a season in the Championship with Barnsley after we sold him was very underwhelming. I don't think he was up to Championship football at that point to be honest. After another season scoring goals in League 1 he's had a better run at it this time, but his return still hasn't been all that amazing, 10 league goals this season so scraping into double figures.

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 09:05 - Aug 14 with 6807 viewspatrickswell

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 09:02 - Aug 14 by PhilTWTD

Mick has always looked at players from the sort of market Moore and Rowe came from. Getting Daryl Murphy from Waterford when he was at Sunderland and in the Premier League is another example, Michael Kightly from Grays when he was at Wolves.

Indeed. Sadly, apart from Tyrone Mings, I don’t think we ever saw any of the non-league purchases ever really establish themselves as key players cf all those Irish wingers.
We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 09:17 - Aug 14 with 6719 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We are firmly a League 1 stroke League 2 outfit.... on 00:25 - Aug 14 by BlueBadger

But also 'booo Mick'

Not entirely true is it? More like, he flourished at L1 level and his value rocketed. Barnsley came in with a bid 70x what we paid for him and Evans said 'Yes'.

But yes, 'booo Mick' too

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024