Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Devil's advocate re: Downes 14:58 - Sep 1 with 3163 viewsTractorBoyOlly

If we sold him for £5m plus add ons it gives us some funds to go and get another couple of players with money that we're not going to get anywhere else in these times.

He's got a good amount of experience here, if he wants to progress good luck to him.

I still think we are light at Centre Half (particularly if woolfy is disgruntled too) with Chambers and Wilson not getting any younger and Nsiala unreliable.

We're also light in the wing department as neither Jackson or sears are wingers. Even if we got a PL loanee in for the season.

State of where we're at I'm afraid.

Poll: Final points total?

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 14:59 - Sep 1 with 2792 viewsgeg1992

The reality is, there's no point selling him because even if we get money for him, we're extremely restricted regarding further signings because of this stupid salary cap.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 15:04 - Sep 1 with 2761 viewsgroovyASH

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 14:59 - Sep 1 by geg1992

The reality is, there's no point selling him because even if we get money for him, we're extremely restricted regarding further signings because of this stupid salary cap.

Gives us a chance to get a couple of good loans in though which would otherwise be out of our league.

It may also give us transfer funds to get good league 1 and 2 players in who we could pay more money too than their current contract does.

However, I wouldn't trust Lambert to know what positions he needs to strengthen.

Personally think we need a CB in and to let Nsiala go, I am most worried about our striker and winger options though and in an ideal world, we would get a flexible Wiseman and another central striker in. I don't expect us to do this, as our numbers are too bloated with players who do not stand out from one another

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 15:23 - Sep 1 with 2700 viewsJ2BLUE

It would be a good deal if we got £4m up front and £1m was enough to get rid of Lambert.

Then the new manager could have £1.5m for signings/wages/loans and the other £1.5m could go towards running costs.

Would be a fair use of the money IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I keep saying it... on 15:28 - Sep 1 with 2679 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 15:23 - Sep 1 by J2BLUE

It would be a good deal if we got £4m up front and £1m was enough to get rid of Lambert.

Then the new manager could have £1.5m for signings/wages/loans and the other £1.5m could go towards running costs.

...sell him for £4m plus add ons...

...AND LOAN HIM BACK FOR NEXT SEASON.

Everyone's happy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I keep saying it... on 15:31 - Sep 1 with 2661 viewsSwansea_Blue

I keep saying it... on 15:28 - Sep 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Everyone's happy.

Given he's played in the championship, and done well enough, they'll want him out on loan at a club at that level, I'd expect.

We'd be stupid not to ask, but I suspect Palace would say no.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 15:34 - Sep 1 with 2646 viewsTractorWood

Agree but won't happen. We'll sell him for £3m and spend £0.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I keep saying it... on 15:37 - Sep 1 with 2634 viewsJ2BLUE

Everyone's happy.

You do but everyone's ignoring you because it won't happen. He would be loaned to the Championship.

Truly impaired.

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 15:40 - Sep 1 with 2618 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

£5m plus add ons would be good business I think now. We've had cases where we have turned down good money and the players have just fallen away with unrest and performance levels, McGoldrick, Bart and Judge are examples.

You don't want unhappy campers, and I would wish him the best of luck should he move to the Premier League, as long as we get a good deal out of it.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Login to get fewer ads

I keep saying it... on 15:42 - Sep 1 with 2608 viewstextbackup

I keep saying it... on 15:37 - Sep 1 by J2BLUE

You do but everyone's ignoring you because it won't happen. He would be loaned to the Championship.

imagine he was loaned to..... no I cant say it...... and they gained prom..... no im not gonna say it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I keep saying it... on 15:45 - Sep 1 with 2593 viewsJ2BLUE

I keep saying it... on 15:42 - Sep 1 by textbackup

imagine he was loaned to..... no I cant say it...... and they gained prom..... no im not gonna say it

I hadn't thought of that...

Truly impaired.

I keep saying it... on 15:52 - Sep 1 with 2561 viewstextbackup

I keep saying it... on 15:45 - Sep 1 by J2BLUE

I hadn't thought of that...

I had, I find if I imagine the worse thing possible then anything less is a bonus!

I keep saying it... on 15:56 - Sep 1 with 2541 viewspointofblue

I hope he’d at least have the decency to reject that one but who am I kidding? Very few footballers have a sense of loyalty or respect for rivalry nowadays.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I keep saying it... on 15:58 - Sep 1 with 2528 viewstextbackup

I keep saying it... on 15:56 - Sep 1 by pointofblue

I hope he’d at least have the decency to reject that one but who am I kidding? Very few footballers have a sense of loyalty or respect for rivalry nowadays.

young team, play nice football, likely to be top 2 at end of the season..... if he's career driven its a no brainer

I keep saying it... on 16:11 - Sep 1 with 2497 viewsdaisyisabaddog

They have taken Oliver Skipp on loan from Spurs who is a better player than Downes.
Anyone who thinks Downes is worth more than £3m is living in cloud cuckoo land
Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:15 - Sep 1 with 2478 viewsTieDyedIn95

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 14:59 - Sep 1 by geg1992

We've planned to sell him all summer.... lets be honest and the money will go towards plugging the losses from failing to be promoted and the COVID-19 situation. We were never keeping Downes this season, this is all just a formality as far as I am concerned. It's a business, we need to make money and he needs to make more money than we can ever pay him. He's off. I don't like it but the club is what it is now.

It's just bad timing for the club with Wolfie also appearing to want out, which will naturally seriously deflate and already depressed and frankly bored fanbase, in that the year may change but we're still seeing the same old crud at Ipswich. But what do we expect?

This club is in an absolutely terrible state. Hanging on to the type of players we need to go up is going to be hard when we cannot pay them what we want to and we're in a tinpot division that offers them only limited opportunities. There's no plan, only bluster, we have a management team thats the envy of no one, a dilapidated stadium and while our facilities are good for League One, they don't cut it compared to the majority in the top 2 tiers of English football.Why would you stay at Ipswich? WHy would you join us? There's a reason the majority of our signings have often played below even this level of football. That's where we have sunk. Some may not like it, but we are in turmoil.

In football you get what you deserve and I would say the club is in the exact place it deserves to be based on it's leadership over the last 12 years.

What needs to change for it to work?

Everything.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:19 - Sep 1 with 2453 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Buying players on £1300 a week shouldn’t cost £1.5 m

We maybe able to get a free trf or 2 for that wage.
Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:22 - Sep 1 with 2438 viewsJ2BLUE

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:19 - Sep 1 by BtreeBlueBlood

Buying players on £1300 a week shouldn’t cost £1.5 m

We maybe able to get a free trf or 2 for that wage.

If that's all we would be able to get then frankly it's not worth bothering and we need to use it on loan fees.

Truly impaired.

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:45 - Sep 1 with 2396 viewsAce_High1

Sell him and then we will give Lambert another 2 year extension and re-sign Leon Best on a free.
I keep saying it... on 16:47 - Sep 1 with 2392 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I keep saying it... on 15:37 - Sep 1 by J2BLUE

That depends though.

I would make it a condition of the deal and tell them to take it or leave it.

Simple.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I keep saying it... on 16:48 - Sep 1 with 2391 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I keep saying it... on 15:31 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

Given he's played in the championship, and done well enough, they'll want him out on loan at a club at that level, I'd expect.

We'd be stupid not to ask, but I suspect Palace would say no.

Make it a condition of the transfer.

It's not difficult.

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:49 - Sep 1 with 2387 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't think £4m/£5m is far away from what would be accepted with top-ups. But at the moment I'm told Palace have offered only £1.6m. Long way to go before they get where they'd need to be to tempt Marcus.
Devil's advocate re: Downes on 18:35 - Sep 1 with 2226 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:49 - Sep 1 by PhilTWTD

I don't think £4m/£5m is far away from what would be accepted with top-ups. But at the moment I'm told Palace have offered only £1.6m. Long way to go before they get where they'd need to be to tempt Marcus.

If transfer request the gut feeling is £3million and probably 10% sell on on profit.

All just so depressing.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 18:41 - Sep 1 with 2210 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

I keep saying it... on 18:42 - Sep 1 with 2204 viewsWickets

Everyone's happy.

Sorry but we will not get 4 mill !
Devil's advocate re: Downes on 18:42 - Sep 1 with 2205 viewsBryanPlug

Devil's advocate re: Downes on 16:49 - Sep 1 by PhilTWTD

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024