Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Downes Thing 15:41 - Sep 2 with 2100 viewsMetal_Hacker

Would we all be as peeved if this were breaking news at the end of last season or is it simply magnified due to alleged current state of the club with all the unrest right now as we speak ?

Point being would we have seen it as a knock (and perhaps a little more expected) BUT better timing and perhaps some of those funds could've been used to invest in another two players

Ermmmmm the salary cap came along ffs

Ignore me ...just answered my own thoughts !

Poll: If it were one or the other

This Downes Thing on 15:43 - Sep 2 with 2089 viewshomer_123

It's football. We are a League 1 club now....we are going to be losing most of our decent players. Nothing new here.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 15:43]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This Downes Thing on 15:44 - Sep 2 with 2078 viewsFtnfwest

Its just to be expected. If any of our players are any good then there will be interest. Daylight robbery is whats potentially getting peoples goat i would say.
This Downes Thing on 15:47 - Sep 2 with 2057 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Downes Thing on 15:43 - Sep 2 by homer_123

It's football. We are a League 1 club now....we are going to be losing most of our decent players. Nothing new here.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 15:43]

You make that sound as though we've got lots of decent players!

Who do we think is on the 'might interest a bigger club' list:
- Downes
- Woolf
- KVY
- Jackson?
- Bish if he can get fit and get a full season under his belt

Anyone else...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Downes Thing on 15:48 - Sep 2 with 2057 viewsitfcjoe

I'm personally not too bothered by it, he's too good for L1 and as long as we get a decent fee for him then he'll leave with my good wishes.

Think too many people look at the language used about 'handing in transfer request' and it makes it look more sinister than it is

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Downes Thing on 15:51 - Sep 2 with 2030 viewsMetal_Hacker

This Downes Thing on 15:48 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I'm personally not too bothered by it, he's too good for L1 and as long as we get a decent fee for him then he'll leave with my good wishes.

Think too many people look at the language used about 'handing in transfer request' and it makes it look more sinister than it is

Might point right there Joe.....good luck to him

I guess no one is bigger than the club (sorry awful cliche) and I'm assured this won't be the last time it ever happens obviously

More important issues to address to be fair ....like direction for one and getting rid of PRP

This Downes Thing on 15:51 - Sep 2 with 2026 viewsjayessess

As I recall there was a similar flap about losing Judge last season and a brief one about Dozzell as well. I don't know why people can't just wait until we've actually accepted an offer before getting het up about these things.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This Downes Thing on 15:52 - Sep 2 with 2019 viewshomer_123

This Downes Thing on 15:47 - Sep 2 by Swansea_Blue

You make that sound as though we've got lots of decent players!

Who do we think is on the 'might interest a bigger club' list:
- Downes
- Woolf
- KVY
- Jackson?
- Bish if he can get fit and get a full season under his belt

Anyone else...

Any half decent youngster that we have at this level is possibly going to be a target.

Certainly those you have listed but you 'could' add:

Dozzell
Nydam
Lankaster
El Mizouni
Norwood
Huws

All I'm suggesting is that clubs buy players, given we are in League 1 - have a half decent squad and a more than half decent academy - why are we surprised that a club is interested in Downes.

This Downes Thing on 15:53 - Sep 2 with 2017 viewshomer_123

This Downes Thing on 15:51 - Sep 2 by jayessess

As I recall there was a similar flap about losing Judge last season and a brief one about Dozzell as well. I don't know why people can't just wait until we've actually accepted an offer before getting het up about these things.

Losing Judge - yep, we'd have definitely missed him.

Login to get fewer ads

This Downes Thing on 15:55 - Sep 2 with 1999 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The issue is saying 1 thing and doing another thats what really annoyed me about it.

Like texting the Mrs you love her as you slip into the Mistress

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

This Downes Thing on 15:56 - Sep 2 with 1995 viewsjayessess

This Downes Thing on 15:53 - Sep 2 by homer_123

Yep, we should've sold him, but QPR didn't offer what we were looking for at the time, so we didn't.

This Downes Thing on 15:56 - Sep 2 with 1993 viewsBlueBadger

He would have been the Statless Messiah for ever more.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This Downes Thing on 15:56 - Sep 2 with 1992 viewsMetal_Hacker

This Downes Thing on 15:55 - Sep 2 by BlueandTruesince82

The issue is saying 1 thing and doing another thats what really annoyed me about it.

Like texting the Mrs you love her as you slip into the Mistress

Ambidextrous !

This Downes Thing on 16:08 - Sep 2 with 1962 viewsParsley

The salary cap is the killer for me. I don't see how we can reinvest the transfer money and coupled with an already large squad I don't see us even signing a replacement. So then what's the point in holding out for a large transfer fee? Can't really spend it.

You could look at it the other way and say that it puts us in a good position to hold on to him, and I could see that happening still if Palace don't meet the valuation.
This Downes Thing on 16:41 - Sep 2 with 1894 viewsHerbivore

I agree with this. Downes has given us two full seasons and he's too good for this league. It's our fault we're not keeping him, had we gone up to the Championship we'd have had a decent case to ask him to give us another year at least. As it stands we can't expect him to hang around in the third division for another year when there are Prem sides interested in buying him. All of us would want to do the same in his position. We need to get a decent fee but assuming we do I can't get too upset about this one.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Downes Thing on 16:47 - Sep 2 with 1878 viewsHerbivore

This Downes Thing on 16:08 - Sep 2 by Parsley

The salary cap is the killer for me. I don't see how we can reinvest the transfer money and coupled with an already large squad I don't see us even signing a replacement. So then what's the point in holding out for a large transfer fee? Can't really spend it.

You could look at it the other way and say that it puts us in a good position to hold on to him, and I could see that happening still if Palace don't meet the valuation.

The money can potentially be spent elsewhere though if we genuinely can't spend it on the squad. We can pay Lambert off which is a plus or we can spend it on improving infrastructure at the club, either through covering staff costs or upgrades to facilities. Both of those things would benefit the club. That said, some of the money could be reinvested, either in signing another player under 21 who doesn't count towards the cap or on bringing in a quality loanee.

This Downes Thing on 16:50 - Sep 2 with 1851 viewsIllinoisblue

Someone on twitter said he’d “slapped in” a transfer request which made me chuckle. Proper tabloid sensationalism

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This Downes Thing on 17:48 - Sep 2 with 1764 viewsWD19

If we had lost him then our poor season might have been attributed to that...

.....and then Lambert might have escaped unscathed and been allowed to lumber on for another season....

.....oh.....
This Downes Thing on 18:04 - Sep 2 with 1725 viewsmanagement

Struggle to see the logic in selling our only mobile defensive CM, the fee mentioned is derisory, will give no capacity to replace before we get further hamstrung with the wages limitations due to the new cap. We have an abundance of midfielders but none are capable of playing with the athleticism & tenacity of Flynn (Powder Puff the rest IMO), the game vs Fleetwood at home(When Downes was suspended) epitomised this as McGavin is a player who wishes to play at his own tempo and sadly oppo will not permit this. Flynn would struggle to get game time at Palace (Not sure he would make the bench), going on loan to a championship club in essence states even Palace have reservations. Flynn should be our captain and I would like to think 10 years of us nurturing him could be reflected in loyalty, accept if we are as abject as last season then Flynn should seek pastures new at the end of the season, his value will not have diminished, more probably increased.
This Downes Thing on 18:06 - Sep 2 with 1712 viewsjayessess

This Downes Thing on 17:48 - Sep 2 by WD19

If we had lost him then our poor season might have been attributed to that...

.....and then Lambert might have escaped unscathed and been allowed to lumber on for another season....

.....oh.....

He might have resigned and a better coach then led us to promotion

This Downes Thing on 18:10 - Sep 2 with 1719 viewsPhilTWTD

This Downes Thing on 16:47 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

The money can potentially be spent elsewhere though if we genuinely can't spend it on the squad. We can pay Lambert off which is a plus or we can spend it on improving infrastructure at the club, either through covering staff costs or upgrades to facilities. Both of those things would benefit the club. That said, some of the money could be reinvested, either in signing another player under 21 who doesn't count towards the cap or on bringing in a quality loanee.

I would guess much or all of any income from the sale of Downes - which I think is by no means a foregone conclusion - will go towards covering the very significant amount of cash which isn't coming in the door due to the coronavirus crisis.
This Downes Thing on 18:13 - Sep 2 with 1689 viewsHerbivore

This Downes Thing on 18:10 - Sep 2 by PhilTWTD

I would guess much or all of any income from the sale of Downes - which I think is by no means a foregone conclusion - will go towards covering the very significant amount of cash which isn't coming in the door due to the coronavirus crisis.

Not even a few hundred thousand spare to pay Lambert off?! FML.

This Downes Thing on 18:18 - Sep 2 with 1683 viewsParky

Just seen him walk out of the Novotel with his missus with no bags or anything, so that indicates he’s staying here.

I wonder why?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024