Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? 18:32 - Sep 1 with 4095 viewsWoolfenthen

I mean surely he did some homework on Lambert before appointing him??? Surely people with inside knowledge of Villa, Wolves, Blackburn etc could have advised him what was likely to happen??
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:37 - Sep 1 with 2717 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:40 - Sep 1 with 2705 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I'm not doing it again (with stats anyway)...but he didn't do terrible jobs there. Do your homework!I

Even a stoke he was regarded as doing a decent job by many and i know a few stoke fans. He was a couple.of very late injury time equalisers from keeping them and their football improved a lot.

This is is worst job by all.accounts....typical our luck.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:44 - Sep 1 with 2681 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:37 - Sep 1 by BryanPlug

Interestingly he’s at a direct competitor.

Who else asks a rival for business advice.

Hey Coke. It’s Pepsi here. Any tips? Arsenic flavour. Cheers.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:47 - Sep 1 with 2668 viewsBryanPlug

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:44 - Sep 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Interestingly he’s at a direct competitor.

Who else asks a rival for business advice.

Hey Coke. It’s Pepsi here. Any tips? Arsenic flavour. Cheers.

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:50 - Sep 1 with 2647 viewsitfcjoe

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:37 - Sep 1 by BryanPlug

Barry Fry isn’t his football adviser though is he?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:55 - Sep 1 with 2620 viewsWoolfenthen

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:50 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

is it Redknapp?

He done great at winning the fans back with his behind the scenes work and inviting all the old pros back etc.  United the fans back and relegation was actually weird as the club felt back together and all seemed set up to fire straight back.  Got his 5 year deal on the back of that really, club felt more in touch with the fans and we were sitting top of the table, how its all gone so drastically wrong is baffling, just seems he got his 5 year contract and is now trying to manufacture his way out, some of the stuff he comes out with is truly baffling, slates our only decent centre half (Woolfenden) saying he needs to get going and start performing and then saying Nsiala has been wonderful, its bizarre.  Leaves 5 promising kids out of the photo call despite them turning up and apparently hes not approachable to the players, just don't get it really, obviously this is all rumours but there is usually no smoke without fire.
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 19:00 - Sep 1 with 2596 viewsBlueBadger

A combination of laziness, short-sightedness and poor advice compounded by a lack of knowledge.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 19:51 - Sep 1 with 2537 viewsBlueBadger

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:40 - Sep 1 by Terry_Nutkins

I'm not doing it again (with stats anyway)...but he didn't do terrible jobs there. Do your homework!I

Even a stoke he was regarded as doing a decent job by many and i know a few stoke fans. He was a couple.of very late injury time equalisers from keeping them and their football improved a lot.

He got Stoke relegated. From a position of 'one point from safety'. On fewer points per game than his predecessor. And a 13% win average. He had a bloody good go at getting Villa(a previously stolidly mid-to-lower mid-table side) relegated. Blackburn and Wolves both improved after he left.
I'd hate to see 'a terrible' job

Oh no wait, we ARE seeing a terrible job.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 20:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:00 - Sep 1 with 2504 viewsBryanPlug

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 18:50 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:26 - Sep 1 with 2453 viewsSteve_M

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 19:51 - Sep 1 by BlueBadger

He got Stoke relegated. From a position of 'one point from safety'. On fewer points per game than his predecessor. And a 13% win average. He had a bloody good go at getting Villa(a previously stolidly mid-to-lower mid-table side) relegated. Blackburn and Wolves both improved after he left.

That ignores the utter mess Stoke were in after Hughes. That two seasons on they only just started in the Championship - having seen off one promising young manager - is more telling than Lambert’s contribution.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:28 - Sep 1 with 2448 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because he’s absolutely clueless.
Because deep down he doesn’t really care like you and me.
Because he’s a business man not a football man.
Because he refuses to learn from his mistakes.
Because he’s ill-advised by other people who haven’t a scooby.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:30 - Sep 1 with 2434 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think most people at the time remembered his work at Norwich and hoped he would replicate that.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:31 - Sep 1 with 2430 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:32 - Sep 1 with 2426 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 19:51 - Sep 1 by BlueBadger

He got stoke relegated? They were in the relegation zone when he joined, so it's a tad harsh to put it all on him.

Hughes had left an absolute car crash.

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 21:23 - Sep 1 with 2333 viewsbackwaywhen

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:30 - Sep 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think most people at the time remembered his work at Norwich and hoped he would replicate that.

He was totally reliant in Culverhouse at Norwich , they fell out at Villa , the rest is ..... history !
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 21:28 - Sep 1 with 2326 viewsSwansea_Blue

He has poor judgement. Evidently. Either in those he trusts to advise or in his own thinking about the game. He'd have more success using dice, a tombola or some other form of randomly picking names.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 21:47 - Sep 1 with 2273 viewsTerry_Nutkins

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:32 - Sep 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

He got stoke relegated? They were in the relegation zone when he joined, so it's a tad harsh to put it all on him.

Hughes had left an absolute car crash.

This is true. He really got them playing well and they were winning two tough games until into injury time and conceeded. Those were the margins of him being a hero or them getting relegated. I don't think you can say "he got them relegated".

Villa, go back and do your homework at what happened there. From relatively big players/big club in terms of spending they completely reigned in the cashbook and Lambert was expected to produce on a shoestring and buy from the lower leagues up and coming talent at next to no cost whilst staying in prem. Essentially he had the remit Hurst had (but he didn't try and do it in 1 transfer window) and he pulled it off to the extend he kept them up.

Blackburn his stats were fine with the owners there being car crash.

Wolves he did fine.

He joined us well on the way down. Initially he got the fans back buzzing but the team was useless. He had the summer to make the big fixes. Initially seemed to be working but the plaster ripped off and we gushed our season down the sink. He failed last year. This is last chance saloon. This has been his worst job in football and a bad one to come back from.

*Small edit...but still not impossible.tomrecover the situation however bad we think it is now. The squad is good enough with some fortune in injuries etc.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 21:48]

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 22:00 - Sep 1 with 2249 viewsRegencyBlue

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:28 - Sep 1 by The_Romford_Blue

Because he’s absolutely clueless.
Because deep down he doesn’t really care like you and me.
Because he’s a business man not a football man.
Because he refuses to learn from his mistakes.
Because he’s ill-advised by other people who haven’t a scooby.

Pretty much this!

After near on thirteen years of ownership he still shows no sign of knowing how to run a football club, on or off the pitch.

Problem is I think the damage done is almost irreversible now. A new owner is our only hope but who is going to want to buy this shambles?

Sad times.
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 22:08 - Sep 1 with 2231 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

This is his worst job, although looks as though still got time to rectify.

I likewise agree didn’t do bad jobs at the mentioned clubs. But that doesn’t fit the agenda.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 22:33 - Sep 1 with 2183 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 21:47 - Sep 1 by Terry_Nutkins

This is true. He really got them playing well and they were winning two tough games until into injury time and conceeded. Those were the margins of him being a hero or them getting relegated. I don't think you can say "he got them relegated".

Villa, go back and do your homework at what happened there. From relatively big players/big club in terms of spending they completely reigned in the cashbook and Lambert was expected to produce on a shoestring and buy from the lower leagues up and coming talent at next to no cost whilst staying in prem. Essentially he had the remit Hurst had (but he didn't try and do it in 1 transfer window) and he pulled it off to the extend he kept them up.

Wolves he did fine.

He joined us well on the way down. Initially he got the fans back buzzing but the team was useless. He had the summer to make the big fixes. Initially seemed to be working but the plaster ripped off and we gushed our season down the sink. He failed last year. This is last chance saloon. This has been his worst job in football and a bad one to come back from.

*Small edit...but still not impossible.tomrecover the situation however bad we think it is now. The squad is good enough with some fortune in injuries etc.

Wish we had Blackburn owners.

He had walked out as they broke their promise re transfer funds. They have understood their mistakes and now they keep helping out Mowbray.
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 22:44 - Sep 1 with 2153 viewsTerry_Nutkins

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 22:33 - Sep 1 by Mach_foreignBlue

Wish we had Blackburn owners.

He had walked out as they broke their promise re transfer funds. They have understood their mistakes and now they keep helping out Mowbray.

They do seem to have settled down as owners I suppose. Still wouldn't have them. They're not that long back in champ.

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 23:33 - Sep 1 with 2079 viewshaynes_toe1

on paper Lambert wasn't terrible at Villa, Stoke, wolves or Blackburn but neither was he good or above expectation.

In general he was absolutely bang average and both Wolves and Blackburn improved once he moved on.
How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 01:02 - Sep 2 with 2023 viewsTieDyedIn95

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 20:30 - Sep 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think Norwich should have been where the conversation ended to be frank.

Evans appointed Norwich's 4th best ever manager (behind Willie Reid, Ken Brown and Mike Walker) to take us down to the third division....

I hate what has happened to us.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 07:59 - Sep 2 with 1834 viewsTerry_Nutkins

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 23:33 - Sep 1 by haynes_toe1

on paper Lambert wasn't terrible at Villa, Stoke, wolves or Blackburn but neither was he good or above expectation.

In general he was absolutely bang average and both Wolves and Blackburn improved once he moved on.

Thst's re-writing history i'm afraid.

Villa, Stoke and Blackburn got significantly worse after he left.

He improved both Wolves and Blackburns league positions after taking over.Actually with zero money and having buy young players from lower league with Aston Villa they actually finished higher in the table than previous year 15th (back to back seasons).

Blackburn were relegated the next season after he left.

I don't think any sane person would bother with he wolves comparison and the completey changed as a club and spent Millions to buy promotion. He had improved their league poition 4 places in his short stint.

The point is we cant change the narrative to fit a dislike if Lambert . He's failed here to date and that is the important bit. I'd love him to turn it around and i dont ruke him out. Doesnt look.good though right now. Could be gone in 5 weeks.

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 09:02 - Sep 2 with 1764 viewsParky

How does Evans keep getting this so wrong? on 21:47 - Sep 1 by Terry_Nutkins

Wolves he did fine.

“He joined us well on the way down”

Simply not buying that. When he took us over we were 4 points off safety with 32 games still to play. He took us down without any fight whatsoever in what was probably the worst Championship in regards to quality in recent years.

This myth that we were already down before he took us over is absolutely ludicrous, any decent manager would have kept us up or at least had us fighting.

I couldn’t care less what he done before he got here, but at the end of the day he has been our worst ever manager and has categorically failed, how he is still in a job I will never know.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 9:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024