Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Work from home if you can......again 08:25 - Sep 22 with 7064 viewssolomon

Penfold Gove just said so.
Work from home if you can......again on 09:28 - Sep 22 with 2978 viewsitfcjoe

Work from home if you can......again on 09:19 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Yeah that figure seems really low, I guess maybe if that's for all employed people it includes all the industries where WFH is impossible and where staff were on furlough (retail, construction, hospitality etc.). I honestly don't know anyone with an office job that's worked a day back in the office yet but I guess the picture is different in different places. As I said on the other thread as well, a lot of pubs here are closing at 10pm currently too and all the ones I've visited are already table service only. Cases here have stayed low, it's impossible to infer anything from that but it's an interesting observation.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:25]

And if only 20% are full WFH then there could be a percentage who are doing 1 day a week in the office. At my old work it is separated into 3 bubbles - 1 week in office and then 2 weeks out of the office

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Work from home if you can......again on 09:28 - Sep 22 with 2981 viewsAce_High1

It is a hard balance this one.

As an employer I see both sides. When the "lockdown" happened in March we set every office worker up to work from home. For some it was the first time they had ever done this so there was a period of adjustment. After this the team worked well and everyone made efforts to be just as productive at home.

However over the later course of the summer you could definitely see a bit of WFH fatigue with people not communicating as much online and generally more people needing to be chased and reminded for certain things. So we started introducing small groups on a rota system into the office.

This gave a balance between WFH and the occasional trip into the office which we found good for people's morale and to get up and out the door for some normality.

Note that we are not based in a city centre so all of our staff can commute in their own cars without the need to use public transport. This was a large factor in our decision to reopen.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:31]
Work from home if you can......again on 09:28 - Sep 22 with 2977 viewssolomon

Yeah that figure seems really low, I guess maybe if that's for all employed people it includes all the industries where WFH is impossible and where staff were on furlough (retail, construction, hospitality etc.). I honestly don't know anyone with an office job that's worked a day back in the office yet but I guess the picture is different in different places. As I said on the other thread as well, a lot of pubs here are closing at 10pm currently too and all the ones I've visited are already table service only. Cases here have stayed low, it's impossible to infer anything from that but it's an interesting observation.

It all comes down to that vaccine. Until then everything is suspended / reduced / on hold. Never have we needed science to deliver like this before. I have faith they will do so regardless of difficulties.
Work from home if you can......again on 09:31 - Sep 22 with 2965 viewsEly_Blue

Work from home if you can......again on 09:23 - Sep 22 by DanTheMan

"even though it does more harm"

Is there some data to suggest which particular measures are the most effective e.g. offices reopening vs. going to a restaurant.

I’m referring specifically to the comparison of the government telling people to wfh if they can and most being compliant to this but when told to quarantine or self isolate they won’t.

I’m not getting into the pubs/restaurants etc as that’s a contentious area where everyone has a view that differs

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Work from home if you can......again on 09:32 - Sep 22 with 2965 viewslongtimefan

Work from home if you can......again on 09:24 - Sep 22 by BrixtonBlue

Sky's offices are open for a small amount of people - and only if you want to. My Creative Director went in for a couple of days last week... I don't know anyone else who has though. Think it's just for people who need to get out of the house!

The missus' office has a similar thing. So far 2 or 3 have gone back out of around 100.

My employer is now encouraging people to attend at least a couple of mornings a week.
Work from home if you can......again on 09:33 - Sep 22 with 2957 viewsHerbivore

Work from home if you can......again on 09:28 - Sep 22 by itfcjoe

And if only 20% are full WFH then there could be a percentage who are doing 1 day a week in the office. At my old work it is separated into 3 bubbles - 1 week in office and then 2 weeks out of the office

Yeah, I imagine that relatively few office workers are back in the office full time. Probably quite a few doing a bit of a mix.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Work from home if you can......again on 09:41 - Sep 22 with 2940 viewsGeoffSentence

This is a nuisance. Just as the wifeSentence and I were beginning to enjoy the benefits of Sentence Junior x2 returning to their offices for a few times a week.

I think Boris would understand the problem, how can I get word to him to get him to change his mind?
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:42]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Work from home if you can......again on 09:43 - Sep 22 with 2928 viewsPendejo

Work from home if you can......again on 09:28 - Sep 22 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah true. I'm lucky I have the garden as my office.

Not for much longer... Colder, wetter weather on way

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Work from home if you can......again on 10:00 - Sep 22 with 2907 viewsdavblue

Work from home if you can......again on 09:05 - Sep 22 by Steve_M

I saw some numbers last week - in the FT I think- that only 20% of people were still WFH full time. That surprised me as anecdotally it would seem more than that. Perhaps it's a London thing and it's been easier for people to go back where they can drive.

The real issue with getting back into the office is capacity. Not just in seating terms where we are at about 40% on "one metre plus" but lifts and the kitchen areas restricted to two people at a time. I can't really be bothered with queuing for ten minutes to make tea or get water when I can walk to the kitchen in seconds.

If i was to drive into an office i would be willing to consider it. But train and tube doesn't appeal at this moment.
Work from home if you can......again on 10:05 - Sep 22 with 2900 viewsSteve_M

I've been into the office a grand total of three times since March, need to go in again and sot out a few things I can't do from home. Might leave that to next week.

We have one senior manager who is clearly keen on getting many more people back in the office and a number of people have gone back for various reasons (most voluntarily but I'm suspicious of whole teams all wanting to be back in!). I think I would be more amenable to doing odd days - as I can walk in - but seems a bit too much hassle with the building restrictions.

Agree with you on pubs but then again I 've been selective in where I've gone - suspect there are plenty of places that haven't been as well organised.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 10:50]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Work from home if you can......again on 10:09 - Sep 22 with 2888 viewscrossyitfc

Work from home if you can......again on 08:58 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Have many people been going back to work? Genuinely curious as pretty much every major employer around here has told people months ago that they won't be going back in until January at the earliest. I don't know anyone doing an office based job that has been going back into the office, they've all still been working from home.

Been in the office since the get-go.
Work from home if you can......again on 10:12 - Sep 22 with 2886 viewsJon_456

Work from home if you can......again on 10:05 - Sep 22 by Steve_M

I've been into the office a grand total of three times since March, need to go in again and sot out a few things I can't do from home. Might leave that to next week.

We have one senior manager who is clearly keen on getting many more people back in the office and a number of people have gone back for various reasons (most voluntarily but I'm suspicious of whole teams all wanting to be back in!). I think I would be more amenable to doing odd days - as I can walk in - but seems a bit too much hassle with the building restrictions.

Agree with you on pubs but then again I 've been selective in where I've gone - suspect there are plenty of places that haven't been as well organised.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 10:50]

Surprised by how many people are working from home still.

We've all been back since mid June and pretty much everyone I know is back to normal.

Been told its unlikely we'll be working from home again if/when a 2nd lockdown arrives..
Work from home if you can......again on 10:44 - Sep 22 with 2860 viewsBrixtonBlue

Work from home if you can......again on 09:43 - Sep 22 by Pendejo

Not for much longer... Colder, wetter weather on way

Thanks Captain Killjoy!

Actually we have an overhang that I've sat under and done work while it's raining. Cold might be an issue though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Work from home if you can......again on 10:50 - Sep 22 with 2850 viewsDanTheMan

Work from home if you can......again on 09:31 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

I’m referring specifically to the comparison of the government telling people to wfh if they can and most being compliant to this but when told to quarantine or self isolate they won’t.

I’m not getting into the pubs/restaurants etc as that’s a contentious area where everyone has a view that differs

How much evidence is there that people are breaking self isolation?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Work from home if you can......again on 10:54 - Sep 22 with 2842 viewsIpswichKnight

I've been at home since March, could be intersting as I start a Government job on the 19th October in London, will have to check with the HR team if it's one I can work from home on or of I do have to be in London.
Work from home if you can......again on 11:03 - Sep 22 with 2833 viewssolomon

Work from home if you can......again on 10:12 - Sep 22 by Jon_456

We've all been back since mid June and pretty much everyone I know is back to normal.

Been told its unlikely we'll be working from home again if/when a 2nd lockdown arrives..

Even if the science indicates you should be working from home to help halt the spread?
Work from home if you can......again on 11:09 - Sep 22 with 2824 viewsitfcpaul

Work from home if you can......again on 10:12 - Sep 22 by Jon_456

and if the lockdown says stay at home, don't go to work.....................

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Work from home if you can......again on 11:15 - Sep 22 with 2818 viewsEly_Blue

Work from home if you can......again on 10:50 - Sep 22 by DanTheMan

How much evidence is there that people are breaking self isolation?

Which rock have you been living under for the last 3 months?

Work from home if you can......again on 11:17 - Sep 22 with 2815 viewsDanTheMan

Work from home if you can......again on 11:15 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

Which rock have you been living under for the last 3 months?

No would have sufficed but OK.

Work from home if you can......again on 11:21 - Sep 22 with 2805 viewsEly_Blue

Work from home if you can......again on 11:17 - Sep 22 by DanTheMan

No would have sufficed but OK.

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-self-isolation-rules-fines-quarantine-lockd

Would they be bringing in these fines if they thought compliance was high?

Work from home if you can......again on 11:25 - Sep 22 with 2800 viewsvapour_trail

Work from home if you can......again on 08:58 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Have many people been going back to work? Genuinely curious as pretty much every major employer around here has told people months ago that they won't be going back in until January at the earliest. I don't know anyone doing an office based job that has been going back into the office, they've all still been working from home.

Our Liv St office is at 29% capacity, keyworkers and those who can’t safely and effectively work at home only.

I am going in tomorrow for a one off, first time since March, I’m quite excited.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Work from home if you can......again on 11:26 - Sep 22 with 2796 viewsHerbivore

Work from home if you can......again on 11:21 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-self-isolation-rules-fines-quarantine-lockd

The fines already exist, this is from that article:

"The quarantine rule can be enforced by spot checks on homes from health officials and fines of up to £1,000, but only 34 such penalties have been issued so far, Home Office figures show".

Estimates are that around 8% of the UK have had Covid, that's over 5m people. 34 fines being issued isn't a lot in the context of the number of people that have had Covid, let alone factoring in the thousands and thousands of others who have had to self-isolate without having a positive Covid test.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Work from home if you can......again on 11:29 - Sep 22 with 2792 viewsvapour_trail

Work from home if you can......again on 09:16 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

I've been in last week for the first time with the aim being the team were in Wednesdays to discuss some complex stuff which isn't very easy over Zoom or whatever.

Missus has been back in this week and they seem to be encouraging them more than other offices I've seen. Some friends are also going back in the office this week for a day or two although I guess that will stop now.

A lot of companies still aren't sold on WFH even if the employees say they are just as productive. I know someone in Suffolk who has been back in their large office since July.

WFH will definitely be more of a thing post-C19 but I don't expect many will be 100% WFH over the longer term.

SB
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:17]

We are surveying our people early Nov on how they would like to work longer term, but we are pretty close to taking the call that you come in 1-2 days a week if you’re able to wfh safely and effectively.

Starting when things are more opened up, obvs.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Work from home if you can......again on 11:30 - Sep 22 with 2788 viewsDanTheMan

Work from home if you can......again on 11:21 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

You could have used that argument literally days ago to say going into the office is perfectly safe. After all, would they have opened them up if they weren't?

Now they're saying don't work from home. Is that because they're not safe.

See the issue?

Work from home if you can......again on 11:37 - Sep 22 with 2770 viewsJon_456

Work from home if you can......again on 11:03 - Sep 22 by solomon

Even if the science indicates you should be working from home to help halt the spread?

Thats one for the boss to decide. We are technically classed as key workers but there isnt really much I do at work that I cant do at home.

Things seemed to run relatively smoothly during the first lockdown but they seem against the idea of WFH this time. Time will tell I guess.

It just surprised me how many people are not back in the office, but its good to see companies aren't forcing their workers back.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 11:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024