Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm interested to hear from anyone 12:04 - Oct 7 with 8178 viewsBluefish

That watched last night (or Luton last season) that thinks Edwards, Sears or Judge carry more of an attacking threat that Dobra

I don't expect PRP reads the board though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:12 - Oct 7 with 3387 viewscatch74

Watson’s thoughts on Dobra:

‘No doubt about it, the 19-year-old is thrilling to watch. He could be a star in the making. But the point is, he is still ‘in the making’. At times in the first half he was guilty of trying to take too many people on and running into traffic. There are, undoubtedly, a few raw edges still to smooth off this talented and edgy street footballer.

What’s going to be better for his development — a handful of games at Town this season, or being a regular starter on loan at League Two club? It might not be a popular opinion, but I’d argue the latter.’

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:14 - Oct 7 with 3358 viewsitfc_bucks

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:12 - Oct 7 by catch74

‘No doubt about it, the 19-year-old is thrilling to watch. He could be a star in the making. But the point is, he is still ‘in the making’. At times in the first half he was guilty of trying to take too many people on and running into traffic. There are, undoubtedly, a few raw edges still to smooth off this talented and edgy street footballer.

What’s going to be better for his development — a handful of games at Town this season, or being a regular starter on loan at League Two club? It might not be a popular opinion, but I’d argue the latter.’

And that is almost exactly how I'd look to explain Luton, last season.

The talent is there, the decision making, at speed, is not yet the finished article. I'd have him out in League 2 for the season, rather than warming our bench.
I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:18 - Oct 7 with 3331 viewsBluefish

Are you posting that to agree or disagree? Not sure it does either

While Dobra is here he should be used as an attacking threat. If you notice I talked about attacking threat opposed to complete player. Dobra should be on the bench every game to offer something different until he can prove himself worthy of a start. Similar to how Mick handled Lawrence and Celina. Last season he should have been out on loan, maybe he will go out this season but at the moment he is here and should be used. Not all youngsters have to go on loan to develop.

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:19 - Oct 7 with 3320 viewsHerbivore

If Dobra goes out we have so little dynamism in our squad. Bishop to an extent, Lankester, then that's about it. He's only 19 so of course he's not the finished product but when did a 19 year old not being the finished product become a reason not to play them? Dozzer isn't the finished product either, nor is Woolfenden, that doesn't mean we shouldn't play them. The type of player Dobra is means there will be times he tries too much but at least he tries something.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:27 - Oct 7 with 3283 viewsclive_baker

I'm critical of Lambert and think he's massively underachieved with what he's got here, but it really makes no sense at all to compare what is essentially a glorified friendly against very weak opposition, to the rigours of L1 football. They really are chalk & cheese.

I do agree there's still a compelling argument to get Dobra some first team minutes though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:32 - Oct 7 with 3258 viewscatch74

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:18 - Oct 7 by Bluefish

While Dobra is here he should be used as an attacking threat. If you notice I talked about attacking threat opposed to complete player. Dobra should be on the bench every game to offer something different until he can prove himself worthy of a start. Similar to how Mick handled Lawrence and Celina. Last season he should have been out on loan, maybe he will go out this season but at the moment he is here and should be used. Not all youngsters have to go on loan to develop.

I’m probably more on your side of the fence (and Herby) in that he gives something very different from the bench. I did feel he looked very lightweight against Fulham - but they’re PL. We’re Division 1 and should be able to give Dobra game time here (especially now El Miz is on loan - I also think the lack of fans would lessen the pressure on a young player) but is 20 minutes here and there the right thing for Dobra. The cons are highlighted by Watson and Bucks and I’m not sure how he’d have fared in the 10 v MK on Sat for instance, had he been on for Judge. If he went away and played week in week out and improved from it as much as Downes and Woolf did then that’s a big win - as long as we get promoted.
I didn’t watch last night, so can’t comment but from what I’ve heard was a very enjoyable performance. I don’t get to a huge amount of games but really enjoyed the youngsters v Crystal Palace a couple of years ago, easier oppo yesterday but encouraging and similarly positive performance.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:47 - Oct 7 with 3196 viewsMatt_Netherlands

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:19 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

If Dobra goes out we have so little dynamism in our squad. Bishop to an extent, Lankester, then that's about it. He's only 19 so of course he's not the finished product but when did a 19 year old not being the finished product become a reason not to play them? Dozzer isn't the finished product either, nor is Woolfenden, that doesn't mean we shouldn't play them. The type of player Dobra is means there will be times he tries too much but at least he tries something.

Probably an unpopular view... but I wouldn't be averse to Dobra going out on loan and getting 30+ appearances under his belt (As opposed to c.10 here) and then we bring in a young loanee to take up the Dobra spot on the bench. He'll never properly develop if he's limited to 10 minutes here and there, he needs to play 90 minute games to learn the 'dirty' side of the game such as tracking back and seeing out a gritty 1-0 win.

know the old argument about "why develop someone else's players" but in fact, a move like that would be geared towards helping Dobra learn the game!
I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:48 - Oct 7 with 3193 viewsclive_baker

I think that's a fair assessment from Watson. Dobra's decision making is questionable at times, particularly holding on to the ball when he should use it much quicker. That should come with experience and age, he really is very raw but he's certainly exciting in that he can beat a man and come up with something a little special such as yesterday. His game just needs to mature and he needs to carve out his niche. My fear for him is that he's only ever seen as a luxury, but one that can't be relied upon week in week out. His brand cant afford that perception, the stakes are too high in the modern game for errors. Errors happen when you're prepared to take risks though, and that's part of his charm. So he needs to tow the line appropriately and strike the right balance.

He's the sort of player that I bet looks great in training. I would have him on the bench on Saturday.

Login to get fewer ads

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:48 - Oct 7 with 3183 viewsBlueBadger

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:47 - Oct 7 by Matt_Netherlands

Probably an unpopular view... but I wouldn't be averse to Dobra going out on loan and getting 30+ appearances under his belt (As opposed to c.10 here) and then we bring in a young loanee to take up the Dobra spot on the bench. He'll never properly develop if he's limited to 10 minutes here and there, he needs to play 90 minute games to learn the 'dirty' side of the game such as tracking back and seeing out a gritty 1-0 win.

know the old argument about "why develop someone else's players" but in fact, a move like that would be geared towards helping Dobra learn the game!

Not only would he be getting meaningful game time, he'd probably be playing under a more competent manager than our one and maybe even receiving some actual coaching.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:53 - Oct 7 with 3168 viewsHerbivore

We've already signed that kid on loan from Germany, I doubt we'll be seeing anyone else come in if Dobra goes out on loan. And there is a case to be made that if we're developing a youngster that's barely played it should be our own youngster rather than someone else's, unless they are a significant upgrade (which we don't really know yet).

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:55 - Oct 7 with 3163 viewsclive_baker

I think there's 2 ways of looking at it. Fast forward a year and Dobra would almost certainly be better off if he goes to Southend and plays 30 odd times for them this season in a League 2 dog fight, rather than a handful of sub appearances for us.

The question is would we miss his potential impact this season in those handful of games? Could he win us a couple of points that are the difference between promotion or not? I think there's an argument that we could find a use for him off the bench. It's a bit of a trade off. A loan with a recall sounds like a nice compromise position.

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:56 - Oct 7 with 3150 viewsSouperJim

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:18 - Oct 7 by Bluefish

I'm interested to hear who you think he should replace on the bench. Lankester? Judge?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:57 - Oct 7 with 3144 viewsElderGrizzly

I'd suggest he doesn't have the discipline and game management to start games, but is definitely an option if you want to chase a game or kill off a team in the 2nd half.

Whether that is good for his development or not I'm not sure. Better off learning the game discipline at a lower level week in week out
I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:58 - Oct 7 with 3138 viewsHerbivore

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:55 - Oct 7 by clive_baker

I think there's 2 ways of looking at it. Fast forward a year and Dobra would almost certainly be better off if he goes to Southend and plays 30 odd times for them this season in a League 2 dog fight, rather than a handful of sub appearances for us.

The question is would we miss his potential impact this season in those handful of games? Could he win us a couple of points that are the difference between promotion or not? I think there's an argument that we could find a use for him off the bench. It's a bit of a trade off. A loan with a recall sounds like a nice compromise position.

I don't really see why we can't be looking to start him occasionally as well, especially at home against sides that aren't likely to pose much attacking threat but will require some breaking down. I expect we'll see him go out on loan though.

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:59 - Oct 7 with 3137 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:32 - Oct 7 by catch74

I’m probably more on your side of the fence (and Herby) in that he gives something very different from the bench. I did feel he looked very lightweight against Fulham - but they’re PL. We’re Division 1 and should be able to give Dobra game time here (especially now El Miz is on loan - I also think the lack of fans would lessen the pressure on a young player) but is 20 minutes here and there the right thing for Dobra. The cons are highlighted by Watson and Bucks and I’m not sure how he’d have fared in the 10 v MK on Sat for instance, had he been on for Judge. If he went away and played week in week out and improved from it as much as Downes and Woolf did then that’s a big win - as long as we get promoted.
I didn’t watch last night, so can’t comment but from what I’ve heard was a very enjoyable performance. I don’t get to a huge amount of games but really enjoyed the youngsters v Crystal Palace a couple of years ago, easier oppo yesterday but encouraging and similarly positive performance.

Loan him out 'til the Jan window. Then reassess.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:00 - Oct 7 with 3135 viewsParsley

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 12:48 - Oct 7 by clive_baker

I think that's a fair assessment from Watson. Dobra's decision making is questionable at times, particularly holding on to the ball when he should use it much quicker. That should come with experience and age, he really is very raw but he's certainly exciting in that he can beat a man and come up with something a little special such as yesterday. His game just needs to mature and he needs to carve out his niche. My fear for him is that he's only ever seen as a luxury, but one that can't be relied upon week in week out. His brand cant afford that perception, the stakes are too high in the modern game for errors. Errors happen when you're prepared to take risks though, and that's part of his charm. So he needs to tow the line appropriately and strike the right balance.

He's the sort of player that I bet looks great in training. I would have him on the bench on Saturday.

I think if he improved off the ball then he would be seen as less of a luxury. I love his energy and constant chasing of the ball but I thought yesterday he rushed into tackles a bit too much and could be drawn out of position. Once he's got that down then I think you can afford to take the risk on him because although not everything will come off he can make something happen as shown with his great goal.

Loan move and regular football to work on his all-round game would be the best move in my opinion. Also I think Bennetts signing gives us the room in the squad to let him go out.
I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:01 - Oct 7 with 3137 viewsgordon

What would people say about Gwion Edwards if he played like he plays now, but we thought he was 19?

Something like that he isn't the finished article, needs to work on his final ball, often dribbles into traffic, sometimes dribbles so far away from traffic that he isn't on the pitch anymore, needs to get his head up, needs to work on his first touch.
I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:03 - Oct 7 with 3125 viewsWallingford_Boy

Yep, I'd have Dobra on the bench, to give the game some spunk when its not going to plan.

Not a big fan of Sears or Edwards really, but think Judge can offer something creative-wise.

RIP Sir Bobby

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:05 - Oct 7 with 3113 viewsgordon

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:03 - Oct 7 by Wallingford_Boy

Yep, I'd have Dobra on the bench, to give the game some spunk when its not going to plan.

Not a big fan of Sears or Edwards really, but think Judge can offer something creative-wise.

How long do you think it'll be before Judge offers it, though? We've been waiting a couple of years now.
Shambert knows best. (n/t) on 13:07 - Oct 7 with 3096 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:09 - Oct 7 with 3105 viewsBlueBadger

The only way Judge is going to offer something creative as a sub is if he takes up writing poetry on the bench.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:20 - Oct 7 with 3029 viewsBluefish

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:01 - Oct 7 by gordon

What would people say about Gwion Edwards if he played like he plays now, but we thought he was 19?

Something like that he isn't the finished article, needs to work on his final ball, often dribbles into traffic, sometimes dribbles so far away from traffic that he isn't on the pitch anymore, needs to get his head up, needs to work on his first touch.

Probably.....perhaps this kid should take up rugby while he is still young

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:23 - Oct 7 with 3001 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:09 - Oct 7 by BlueBadger

The only way Judge is going to offer something creative as a sub is if he takes up writing poetry on the bench.

Under-rated post.
I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:35 - Oct 7 with 2935 viewsBlueBadger

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:23 - Oct 7 by ArnoldMoorhen

Under-rated post.

Genius is never appreciated in its own time.

I'm interested to hear from anyone on 13:41 - Oct 7 with 2925 viewsflimflam

Edwards been decent so far this year, Judge not so much.

Personally I think Dobra would have more of an impact of the bench than Judge.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024