Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My view on Gwion Edwards 13:43 - Oct 11 with 10047 viewsBluefish

By Bluefish aged 40 1/2

This will no doubt trigger the usual rent free crowd so perhaps don't read on if you are already getting in a rage by just the title.

I've spoken lots of Gwion and how I see him, some people are trying to say yesterday eradicates over 2 seasons of failure for him but that is just a bit silly. Last week (and most games before) he looked like a competition winner, I have seen dogs chasing crisp packets in the wind showing more composure and reading of the situation but this week he was effective and decisive.

Let me be clear, he is not a footballer, he has the least talent in the squad but that doesn't have to make him our worst player. There is a difference between good and effective, some of the most talented players drop down the leagues because they can't find a way to use it, JET is full of ability. I have compared Gwion on many occasions to Theo Walcott and this still applies, neither of them have a 1st touch and both of them are often complete spectators off the ball but...Theo played for a team that used to be a top Premier league side and scored a hattrick for England. On his day he was devastating but he has also struggled in many ways to fit into teams. Arsenal saw how he could beat teams and made him one of their stars but he wasn't consistent enough to justify it. Everton thought they had a coup getting him but again he wasn't the player to carry a team consistently.

Back to Gwion when used well he will be effective, a big part of this will be Hawkins and Bishop and their ability to move the game up the pitch. It is clear to everyone he is better on the left, it makes him move inwards to get on his right peg and brings him more involved. Having him hogging the right touchline was a big reason for the big space we had between the lines and when he got it he wasn't comfortable coming inside to his left so it just when straight and too wide.

He is not a footballer for me but he has pace and sadly pace often trumps talent as sometimes does size. If we can use his limited ability to effect he could be a great asset for us.

We had a player previously for Ipswich that wasn't blessed with a lot of talent, he spent the start of his time here running fast in a straight line and often running off the pitch but I loved him because we found a way to use him. The player was guy uhlenbeek.

I would also prefer a dobra or a lankester but I also loved bowditch and Garvan and now I have a real soft spot for Nydam. They are naturals but if we can use Gwion well enough hopefully he can be a big player for us. If we can't he will be a hindrance. Time will tell and it will be on Lambert to make it work

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:07 - Oct 11 with 4891 viewsblueislander

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:05 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

As I've said before, he could be world class in the highlights. Sadly he needs to do more the rest of the game though

Every player would look world class if we only saw their highlights. That is the definition of the word.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:10 - Oct 11 with 4888 viewsurbanblue

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:05 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

As I've said before, he could be world class in the highlights. Sadly he needs to do more the rest of the game though

A player only has to be world class for a few minutes a game ... If it produces a couple of goals and a victory no supporter would care if he does F all for the other 85.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 14:11]
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 4879 viewsDarth_Koont

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:02 - Oct 11 by urbanblue

Okay, I'll try and be balanced. Edwards showed a lot of promise when he first arrived here but then appeared to lose his way a bit when I think we all had high hopes. Who can forget that flick against Blackburn! He spent much of last season out of position where in fairness he did okay in the circumstances.

This season he is another revitalised player. The thing is with Edwards is that, this season so far particularly, he always looks like he might score. You mention just the one game but even against MK when he was fairly quiet I still felt if we were going to snatch a goal it would be him.

He is an exciting player, can make things happen and has always shown himself to be an excellent finisher. Could be our top scorer this season.

Think the critical thing with Edwards is for him to have space to run into - especially if that’s running into the box. That need to have space ahead of him is also why I thought he was pretty decent as a makeshift RWB and pretty poor as a conventional wide midfielder.

Pronouns: He/Him

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 4879 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:10 - Oct 11 by urbanblue

A player only has to be world class for a few minutes a game ... If it produces a couple of goals and a victory no supporter would care if he does F all for the other 85.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 14:11]

It seems that way but I care and so do other football fans. If we are going to carry him, we need to set up to accommodate that. I have now said he can't play i have said that we have to find a way to use him.

I can only assume the rent free posters that are upset but this thread think that he is a talented all round player

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:16 - Oct 11 with 4859 viewsblueislander

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:13 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

It seems that way but I care and so do other football fans. If we are going to carry him, we need to set up to accommodate that. I have now said he can't play i have said that we have to find a way to use him.

I can only assume the rent free posters that are upset but this thread think that he is a talented all round player

What do you mean by “rent free posters” ? Is that what you call those who disagree with you?
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:19 - Oct 11 with 4857 viewsSpruceMoose

I mean... You've spent your Sunday writing an essay about a footballer you don't rate, a footballer you've been crying about for months, and somehow it's other posters who have an obsession problem?

Sure thing buddy. Yesterday's win really pushed you over the edge eh?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:21 - Oct 11 with 4848 viewsurbanblue

I think the way we used him yesterday worked out pretty well don't you?
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:25 - Oct 11 with 4835 viewsSomethingBlue

This is like Johnson's weekly final answer on PMQs.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:26 - Oct 11 with 4834 viewsBryanPlug

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:58 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Yes

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:28 - Oct 11 with 4824 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:26 - Oct 11 by BryanPlug

Not really there are so many at non league level with more talent but they can't run as fast.

Arguing he has a great touch or accurate passing is a bit odd, plenty at non league do though

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:32 - Oct 11 with 4805 viewsblueislander

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:28 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Not really there are so many at non league level with more talent but they can't run as fast.

Arguing he has a great touch or accurate passing is a bit odd, plenty at non league do though

Non-league could beNational League or the Sunday pub league.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:37 - Oct 11 with 4792 viewsBryanPlug

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:28 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:48 - Oct 11 with 4763 viewsSpruceMoose

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:37 - Oct 11 by BryanPlug

It's actually one of the funnier things I've read on here to be fair.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:54 - Oct 11 with 4750 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:37 - Oct 11 by BryanPlug

Yep I was

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:02 - Oct 11 with 4733 viewsblueislander

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:54 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Yep I was

Would you care to answer my earlier question on “rent free posters” ?
My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:07 - Oct 11 with 4726 viewsBryanPlug

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:54 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Yep I was

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:14 - Oct 11 with 4718 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Looks like desperate scramble to continue to demise a player that is proving you wrong.

You go ridiculously over the top on Gwion, it must be personal.

I really like him, playing well this year, can make you pull your hair out, but also makes important and impactful contributions.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:23 - Oct 11 with 4698 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:02 - Oct 11 by blueislander

Would you care to answer my earlier question on “rent free posters” ?

Not sure what the Q was but if it is who or what are they....they are the same band of posters that feel compelled to reply to everything I post, they don't offer reasons but they disagree anyway. Similar to how in the early games when I said it was good but still some areas to improve they nearly exploded but later down the line agreed with others saying the same. I find it flattering and mildly disturbing

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:25 - Oct 11 with 4685 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:14 - Oct 11 by TheTrueBlue1878

Looks like desperate scramble to continue to demise a player that is proving you wrong.

You go ridiculously over the top on Gwion, it must be personal.

I really like him, playing well this year, can make you pull your hair out, but also makes important and impactful contributions.

I said he has a terrible touch, poor awareness and needs to do more. It really isn't that different to others. I can take it though, I had years of it with Priskin and Parkin going against the masses and every now and then they were determined to be proved right......they obviously weren't

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:32 - Oct 11 with 4666 viewsblueislander

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:23 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Not sure what the Q was but if it is who or what are they....they are the same band of posters that feel compelled to reply to everything I post, they don't offer reasons but they disagree anyway. Similar to how in the early games when I said it was good but still some areas to improve they nearly exploded but later down the line agreed with others saying the same. I find it flattering and mildly disturbing

So you are consistent in your deprecation of fellow posters, having stated on here that you are the only person on here that understands football. If you show that sort of arrogance it is hardly surprising that people take issue with you. But it seems to feed your ego ,so that’s fine I guess.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:35 - Oct 11 with 4658 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:32 - Oct 11 by blueislander

So you are consistent in your deprecation of fellow posters, having stated on here that you are the only person on here that understands football. If you show that sort of arrogance it is hardly surprising that people take issue with you. But it seems to feed your ego ,so that’s fine I guess.

At least I'm right though.

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:41 - Oct 11 with 4648 viewsnodge_blue

I’d say Edwards hasn’t been consistent enough and can drift out of games. But then that could have been said about a few over the last couple of seasons.

He does have some talent though. He can beat a man more than sears in that position. And if you don’t think he has a first touch then you need to watch his second goal again.

And it’s ok having a soft touch for Nydam but I’d really like to know what that’s based on. The lad has always looked to struggle to me. He may come good, really hope he does, but it seems a bit odd to criticise Edwards who has scored 4 goals and is playing well, then big up a young lad who has struggled to make an impression then suffered a long injury.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:44 - Oct 11 with 4641 viewsitfcjoe

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:56 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I can absolutely assure you that in a series of football challenges. Control, heading, passing etc. Inwould would beat him, especially in my day. He would beat me in a running race by some distance though. Over 10 yards he'd beat me by about 7

Embarrassing yourself here again

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:44 - Oct 11 with 4642 viewsblueislander

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:35 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

At least I'm right though.

There may come a time when you are not. That will be very hard for you to accept. I can only assume, and hope, that this is just your internet persona, and you don’t take yourself that seriously..
My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:45 - Oct 11 with 4633 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:25 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I said he has a terrible touch, poor awareness and needs to do more. It really isn't that different to others. I can take it though, I had years of it with Priskin and Parkin going against the masses and every now and then they were determined to be proved right......they obviously weren't

Think you got eat the humble pie on this one....

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024