Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My view on Gwion Edwards 13:43 - Oct 11 with 10050 viewsBluefish

By Bluefish aged 40 1/2

This will no doubt trigger the usual rent free crowd so perhaps don't read on if you are already getting in a rage by just the title.

I've spoken lots of Gwion and how I see him, some people are trying to say yesterday eradicates over 2 seasons of failure for him but that is just a bit silly. Last week (and most games before) he looked like a competition winner, I have seen dogs chasing crisp packets in the wind showing more composure and reading of the situation but this week he was effective and decisive.

Let me be clear, he is not a footballer, he has the least talent in the squad but that doesn't have to make him our worst player. There is a difference between good and effective, some of the most talented players drop down the leagues because they can't find a way to use it, JET is full of ability. I have compared Gwion on many occasions to Theo Walcott and this still applies, neither of them have a 1st touch and both of them are often complete spectators off the ball but...Theo played for a team that used to be a top Premier league side and scored a hattrick for England. On his day he was devastating but he has also struggled in many ways to fit into teams. Arsenal saw how he could beat teams and made him one of their stars but he wasn't consistent enough to justify it. Everton thought they had a coup getting him but again he wasn't the player to carry a team consistently.

Back to Gwion when used well he will be effective, a big part of this will be Hawkins and Bishop and their ability to move the game up the pitch. It is clear to everyone he is better on the left, it makes him move inwards to get on his right peg and brings him more involved. Having him hogging the right touchline was a big reason for the big space we had between the lines and when he got it he wasn't comfortable coming inside to his left so it just when straight and too wide.

He is not a footballer for me but he has pace and sadly pace often trumps talent as sometimes does size. If we can use his limited ability to effect he could be a great asset for us.

We had a player previously for Ipswich that wasn't blessed with a lot of talent, he spent the start of his time here running fast in a straight line and often running off the pitch but I loved him because we found a way to use him. The player was guy uhlenbeek.

I would also prefer a dobra or a lankester but I also loved bowditch and Garvan and now I have a real soft spot for Nydam. They are naturals but if we can use Gwion well enough hopefully he can be a big player for us. If we can't he will be a hindrance. Time will tell and it will be on Lambert to make it work

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:09 - Oct 11 with 909 viewsStadiumofdark

We all know your opinions are nonsense - you can stop trying to prove it now.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:10 - Oct 11 with 909 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:44 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

Embarrassing yourself here again

Not really no Joe

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:11 - Oct 11 with 905 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 15:41 - Oct 11 by nodge_blue

I’d say Edwards hasn’t been consistent enough and can drift out of games. But then that could have been said about a few over the last couple of seasons.

He does have some talent though. He can beat a man more than sears in that position. And if you don’t think he has a first touch then you need to watch his second goal again.

And it’s ok having a soft touch for Nydam but I’d really like to know what that’s based on. The lad has always looked to struggle to me. He may come good, really hope he does, but it seems a bit odd to criticise Edwards who has scored 4 goals and is playing well, then big up a young lad who has struggled to make an impression then suffered a long injury.

I like a natural player, one with a good touch that can do it all and play anywhere. I don't particularly like limited athletes

It shouldn't be that difficult for most to accept. We are discussing a player that has a good game about 1 in 30 at best and even then it is is patches.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:21]

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:20 - Oct 11 with 883 viewsSpruceMoose

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:11 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I like a natural player, one with a good touch that can do it all and play anywhere. I don't particularly like limited athletes

It shouldn't be that difficult for most to accept. We are discussing a player that has a good game about 1 in 30 at best and even then it is is patches.

Weird.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:24 - Oct 11 with 876 viewsFixed_It

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:10 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Not really no Joe

Well if we were to put it to the vote I am pretty certain it would be close to unanimous that you are.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:28 - Oct 11 with 859 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:24 - Oct 11 by Fixed_It

Well if we were to put it to the vote I am pretty certain it would be close to unanimous that you are.

I heard it all before about Priskin or Lambert or many others. You all get there in the end, well not you but nearly al the others.

None of you can offer anything back in the way of analysis or insight so it doesn't bother me. Joe disappoints more slightly more because I had higher hopes for him but he seems to just resort to personal insults these days.

1 in 30 Gwion gets you lot all protective.

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:44 - Oct 11 with 835 viewsAYACCA

Gus Uhlenbeek. Loved him, still my favourite town player
Ever.
Edwards is fine.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:46 - Oct 11 with 831 viewsButterbing

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:28 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I heard it all before about Priskin or Lambert or many others. You all get there in the end, well not you but nearly al the others.

None of you can offer anything back in the way of analysis or insight so it doesn't bother me. Joe disappoints more slightly more because I had higher hopes for him but he seems to just resort to personal insults these days.

I think it’s more that people just have no respect for you or your “look at me” opinions and posts.
Login to get fewer ads

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:47 - Oct 11 with 828 viewsGeoffSentence

This reminds me of my MP's shame face statement on Dominic Cummings.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:48 - Oct 11 with 828 viewsitfcjoe

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:28 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

It’s just the silly exaggerations

1 in 30....when he’s got 4 goals in 4(1) appearances

Not a footballer

Thinking you have better abilities than him on basic skills

He’s not even that quick to base his game on pace

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:50 - Oct 11 with 820 viewsreusersfreekicks

Self justifying cobblers - wild over estimate of the importance of your opinion
My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:53 - Oct 11 with 817 viewsStokieBlue

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:54 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

My favourite rent free poster.

Never fails

You really are a weird one.

You want to try and justify your frankly absurd opinion on Edwards and of yourself having better technique than him but you don't like it if people disagree or even have the cheek to reply to your posts.

It's bizarre, you're teetering on the edge of sanity with some of this stuff.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:57 - Oct 11 with 806 viewsreusersfreekicks

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:53 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

You really are a weird one.

You want to try and justify your frankly absurd opinion on Edwards and of yourself having better technique than him but you don't like it if people disagree or even have the cheek to reply to your posts.

It's bizarre, you're teetering on the edge of sanity with some of this stuff.

SB

Teetering?
My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:03 - Oct 11 with 797 viewsJakeITFC

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:11 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Do you think you’re better technically than Theo Walcott as well?
My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:09 - Oct 11 with 777 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 16:48 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

It’s just the silly exaggerations

1 in 30....when he’s got 4 goals in 4(1) appearances

Not a footballer

Thinking you have better abilities than him on basic skills

He’s not even that quick to base his game on pace

I think I gave you too much credit. Stick to personal insults instead

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:09 - Oct 11 with 781 viewsN2_Blue

95% of this is a whole lot of nonsense....I think some of it is quite disrespectful to Gwion as well.

I don't mind you criticising our manager when on the whole is has been warranted but this is grossly unfair against a player who has struggled for confidence at times but has shown glimpses of his ability and is currently playing very well.

No coincidence that he performs well in his preferred position and when team is playing well and showing good team spirit.

I think many of town's players are confidence players and i hate to say but some are probably showing improved performances due to no crowd and the constant abuse they usually have to put up with during the game

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:11 - Oct 11 with 769 viewsitfcjoe

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:09 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I think I gave you too much credit. Stick to personal insults instead

Where are the personal insults? I’m trying to help you here...

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:13 - Oct 11 with 762 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:03 - Oct 11 by JakeITFC

Do you think you’re better technically than Theo Walcott as well?

Most definitely

Set up a competition to control balls dropped from height within a zone. Score a point if it stays in the small zone. Set up to hit targets from various distances and another to finish headers. In my day I would beat him comfortably and same with Gwion.

I surprised so many struggle to see this, thousands of non league players have a better touch and more precision than those 2. It doesn't make them more effective players, I played with a fella released by Cambridge United that kicked around non league. His touch and talent was better than most in championship level but they were obviously better players than him because he was lazy and slow

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:18 - Oct 11 with 749 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:11 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

Where are the personal insults? I’m trying to help you here...

I haven't seen that, you just seem to be rude these days which is a shame because I was sure you could give opinion

I am comfortable with it all though, as I said it has happened for years on here and I haven't been wrong yet. It will happen one day and the no marks that can't form opinion will have their moment. Until then let them keep replying but offering nothing.

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:25 - Oct 11 with 733 viewsFunge

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:18 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I haven't seen that, you just seem to be rude these days which is a shame because I was sure you could give opinion

I am comfortable with it all though, as I said it has happened for years on here and I haven't been wrong yet. It will happen one day and the no marks that can't form opinion will have their moment. Until then let them keep replying but offering nothing.

My two-pennorth:

1) Edwards, like the rest of that squad, was atrocious last year.
2) He is doing surprisingly well so far this year, with an argument being made that he has, in fact, been the most effective player. As an aside, I thought Nsiala was the out-and-out worst player I've ever seen at Ipswich on the basis of his first two seasons here; he's been excellent so far this year.
3) You are not better than Edwards at anything apart from stirring the pot, you nutter.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 17:26]
My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:29 - Oct 11 with 716 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:25 - Oct 11 by Funge

My two-pennorth:

1) Edwards, like the rest of that squad, was atrocious last year.
2) He is doing surprisingly well so far this year, with an argument being made that he has, in fact, been the most effective player. As an aside, I thought Nsiala was the out-and-out worst player I've ever seen at Ipswich on the basis of his first two seasons here; he's been excellent so far this year.
3) You are not better than Edwards at anything apart from stirring the pot, you nutter.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 17:26]

Ah now see this sums it up. You haven't seen me play but you have decide that is true so it shows your judgement is not fair. I have seen me and him play and therefore my judgement is the only true one.

You used the word effective, it is the same way I am describing him. He can be effective but he can't be good

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:33 - Oct 11 with 708 viewsFunge

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:29 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Ah now see this sums it up. You haven't seen me play but you have decide that is true so it shows your judgement is not fair. I have seen me and him play and therefore my judgement is the only true one.

You used the word effective, it is the same way I am describing him. He can be effective but he can't be good

You haven't seen me play - I was so good, that they asked me in to run Colchester Zoo.

When I'm hungover on a Sunday I eat a load of junk food and watch Homes Under The Hammer. You go on a provincial football club forum and tell everyone that you're Arjen Robben.

Both are afternoons relatively well spent.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 17:34]
My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:34 - Oct 11 with 704 viewsButterbing

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:29 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

How the heck has this thread turned into you asking people to believe you are better than a professional footballer? You really are lacking in self-awareness. Probably best for you to give it a rest.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:35 - Oct 11 with 695 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:34 - Oct 11 by Butterbing

How the heck has this thread turned into you asking people to believe you are better than a professional footballer? You really are lacking in self-awareness. Probably best for you to give it a rest.

No.

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:36 - Oct 11 with 693 viewsJakeITFC

My view on Gwion Edwards on 17:13 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Most definitely

Set up a competition to control balls dropped from height within a zone. Score a point if it stays in the small zone. Set up to hit targets from various distances and another to finish headers. In my day I would beat him comfortably and same with Gwion.

I surprised so many struggle to see this, thousands of non league players have a better touch and more precision than those 2. It doesn't make them more effective players, I played with a fella released by Cambridge United that kicked around non league. His touch and talent was better than most in championship level but they were obviously better players than him because he was lazy and slow

With all due respect, I can’t believe that would be the case.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024