Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lewis Hamilton 15:43 - Oct 11 with 8237 viewsjudespiveyg

Now won as many races as Michael Schumacher, and will equal his 7 titles won by the end of the season. Britain's greatest ever sportsman?

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Lewis Hamilton on 16:59 - Oct 11 with 1888 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 16:50 - Oct 11 by fabian_illness

Cheers for that.
Been out all day, was looking forward to watching on sky plus.
Probably won’t bother now you’ve let slip who won.

To be fair you should probably avoid the internet entirely if you're expecting not to see the result of such a historic race.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lewis Hamilton on 17:06 - Oct 11 with 1872 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 16:51 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

Ferrari were a mess. You have to look at the whole package and not just straight line speed, often the quickest car in a straight line isn't the best overall. It's not just about the constructors either, it's that the pretty average Bottas was clear in second in the driver's championship. He doesn't do that if the Ferrari is the best car, not a chance. Straight line speed is just one facer, Red Bull were never that quick in a straight line when they were dominant (though not as dominant as Mercedes). I don't see any way that Hamilton would have won the title with Ferrari last season, especially assuming there'd have been a top driver replacing him at Mercedes and likely coasting to the title. Their dominance has been huge.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:53]

Guess we will have to disagree on this one then.

The Ferrari was decent enough around the corners to stay ahead and almost impossible to pass on the straights even when the car behind had DRS. This happened in a number of races.

The issues at Ferrari were not with the car but with the team itself which was a total mess.

Ex-F1 Champions thought they had the best car at some points in 2019:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/hakkinen-ferrari-now-have-the-best-car-in-f1/

I totally agree that as an overall package including the team, tactics and reliability that Mercedes have been untouchable for a long time.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 17:14 - Oct 11 with 1866 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 17:06 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

Guess we will have to disagree on this one then.

The Ferrari was decent enough around the corners to stay ahead and almost impossible to pass on the straights even when the car behind had DRS. This happened in a number of races.

The issues at Ferrari were not with the car but with the team itself which was a total mess.

Ex-F1 Champions thought they had the best car at some points in 2019:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/hakkinen-ferrari-now-have-the-best-car-in-f1/

I totally agree that as an overall package including the team, tactics and reliability that Mercedes have been untouchable for a long time.

SB

Looks like Hakkinen was wrong. Those three wins were something of a flash in the pan and they failed to win another race thereafter. Despite some of the issues at Ferrari I simply don't believe that if they had the best car that Bottas would be beating both Leclerc and Vettel by the margin he did. They are both superior drivers and even with some bad luck and bad decisions, in the better car they'd not be finishing 60+ and 80+ points adrift of Valteri Bottas, imo. People get over-excited when it looks like a car might challenge Mercedes because they are desperate to see a genuine contest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lewis Hamilton on 17:51 - Oct 11 with 1847 viewsMercian

Lewis Hamilton on 15:53 - Oct 11 by Westover

No because he wouldn't be winning if he was driving a Williams he has the best car, I watch F1 but it's not a level playing field.

If Mo Salah played for West Brom he would not be a Premier League Champion.
Lewis Hamilton on 17:55 - Oct 11 with 1842 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Without doubt, will go on to be the best F1 driver of all time, but comparing him to SSR, MF, MP and alike is no fair. Best driver? Yes. Best sportsman? Definitely not.
Lewis Hamilton on 18:19 - Oct 11 with 1823 viewssolomon

Lewis Hamilton on 16:43 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

Rosberg was a very good driver, but he's said himself that he retired straight after his title because of how draining it was to beat Lewis over the season. Once he had his title he could never hope to build up such motivation to be perfect. This is more or less what Rosberg has said. Says a lot about how consistantly Lewis has been perfect and what it takes to beat him. He has had one below par season (2011) in his 14 year career, he still won three races.
Also if Lewis' engine hadn't blown up in Malaysia 2016 he would have taken the title.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:48]

Can’t agree with you there. Lewis has done very well in positioning himself in the right place at the right time. Rosberg has been his only Mercedes team mate who could offer a threat, the signing of Bottas was a move for an out and out number 2 driver. You’re trying to paint a picture in your mind where Lewis has won titles in a car that wasn’t the class of the field, that simply isn’t true at all.
Lewis Hamilton on 18:34 - Oct 11 with 1815 viewsGuthrum

Phil Taylor has won more than twice that many World Championships.

More said as an illustration of how difficult it is to compare achievements in different sports (and between different eras).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lewis Hamilton on 18:39 - Oct 11 with 1803 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 18:34 - Oct 11 by Guthrum

Phil Taylor has won more than twice that many World Championships.

More said as an illustration of how difficult it is to compare achievements in different sports (and between different eras).

Now you are just being silly. Darts as a sport? It is a pub game. Nice try though.
Login to get fewer ads

Lewis Hamilton on 19:43 - Oct 11 with 1773 viewsEwan_Oozami

Lewis Hamilton on 15:50 - Oct 11 by BlueBadger

Cake.

Oh wait. This world still holds a place for Battenberg.

You and Facters, you're in this together aren't you? Go on admit it!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Lewis Hamilton on 20:01 - Oct 11 with 1759 viewsTrequartista

Difficult to award it to an F1 driver when so much is dependent on the car, but he's definitely up there.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Lewis Hamilton on 20:04 - Oct 11 with 1757 viewsgtsb1966

Lewis Hamilton on 17:51 - Oct 11 by Mercian

If Mo Salah played for West Brom he would not be a Premier League Champion.

Considering he's a long distance runner no.
Lewis Hamilton on 20:08 - Oct 11 with 1749 viewspelles321

Lewis Hamilton on 20:04 - Oct 11 by gtsb1966

Considering he's a long distance runner no.

Wine with lunch?
Lewis Hamilton on 20:18 - Oct 11 with 1738 viewsgtsb1966

Lewis Hamilton on 20:08 - Oct 11 by pelles321

Wine with lunch?

Hahahaha just realised that. Guinness to be fair and too much of it.
Lewis Hamilton on 20:27 - Oct 11 with 1732 viewsMercian

Lewis Hamilton on 17:55 - Oct 11 by IpswichBoyBlue

Without doubt, will go on to be the best F1 driver of all time, but comparing him to SSR, MF, MP and alike is no fair. Best driver? Yes. Best sportsman? Definitely not.

When you compare him to recently knighted sportspeople such as Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farrah and Andy Murray he is in my mind without doubt the most talented. Sir Andy for example ranks number 4 in his generation of tennis players where Lewis ranks in the top 5 of all time F1 drivers. Sir Mo is a superb long distance and even middle distance runner but still not in the class of Hamilton IMO. The thing is the other three did not tax dodge. This a a negative mark for Lewis which does not resonate well with the public.
Lewis Hamilton on 20:27 - Oct 11 with 1730 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 20:27 - Oct 11 by Mercian

When you compare him to recently knighted sportspeople such as Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farrah and Andy Murray he is in my mind without doubt the most talented. Sir Andy for example ranks number 4 in his generation of tennis players where Lewis ranks in the top 5 of all time F1 drivers. Sir Mo is a superb long distance and even middle distance runner but still not in the class of Hamilton IMO. The thing is the other three did not tax dodge. This a a negative mark for Lewis which does not resonate well with the public.

That is massively harsh on Murray.

Massively.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 20:37 - Oct 11 with 1714 viewsMercian

Lewis Hamilton on 20:27 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

That is massively harsh on Murray.

Massively.

SB

Harsh but hard to argue against with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic on the scene.
Lewis Hamilton on 20:48 - Oct 11 with 1705 viewsjeera

Lewis Hamilton on 17:55 - Oct 11 by IpswichBoyBlue

To me physical exertion has to be the major component for anything to be considered a sport.

Throwing a dart, playing golf, fishing, playing chess nor driving a car, are 'sports'.

Daley Thompson was a top sportsman.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Lewis Hamilton on 20:58 - Oct 11 with 1699 viewsMercian

Lewis Hamilton on 20:48 - Oct 11 by jeera

To me physical exertion has to be the major component for anything to be considered a sport.

Throwing a dart, playing golf, fishing, playing chess nor driving a car, are 'sports'.

F1 drivers are among the fittest of all sports people. A lot fitter than many would imagine. They also have to be light as they can be, sometimes to the determent to their physical and mental health. Jenson Button is a very good amateur tri-athelete but he originally took up the sport to keep his weight down as he was quite large for an F1 driver. Reading interviews with Jenson it is clear that had a negative effect on his health. Apparently he loves it now he has retired but it was too much when he was still competing.
Lewis Hamilton on 21:02 - Oct 11 with 1697 viewsnoggin

Fishers would beat him inhis Fiesta innit.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Lewis Hamilton on 21:09 - Oct 11 with 1687 viewsjeera

Lewis Hamilton on 20:58 - Oct 11 by Mercian

F1 drivers are among the fittest of all sports people. A lot fitter than many would imagine. They also have to be light as they can be, sometimes to the determent to their physical and mental health. Jenson Button is a very good amateur tri-athelete but he originally took up the sport to keep his weight down as he was quite large for an F1 driver. Reading interviews with Jenson it is clear that had a negative effect on his health. Apparently he loves it now he has retired but it was too much when he was still competing.

Ah you picked that out but have no comment on the chess thing do ya?

I cannot help but feel sport doesn't really involve cars, but take on board what you say, fitness etc. There was a time I would go to speedway and would have argued the same thing.

Lewis Hamilton on 21:10 - Oct 11 with 1682 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 20:48 - Oct 11 by jeera

Leave chess alone, a fine game and happy for it to be considered a sport if that means it's actually reported on in the papers (the Guardian cover it in their sports section).

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 21:12 - Oct 11 with 1677 viewsjeera

Lewis Hamilton on 21:10 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

Leave chess alone, a fine game and happy for it to be considered a sport if that means it's actually reported on in the papers (the Guardian cover it in their sports section).

SB

I loved chess as a kid and still have a few old books on the shelf now.

My oldest book is from 1802 I believe, although that includes whist and one or two other games too.

Not played for many years now despite still having a table that was bought for me for my 21st.

Lewis Hamilton on 21:17 - Oct 11 with 1673 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 21:12 - Oct 11 by jeera

I loved chess as a kid and still have a few old books on the shelf now.

My oldest book is from 1802 I believe, although that includes whist and one or two other games too.

Not played for many years now despite still having a table that was bought for me for my 21st.

You should get back into it, always good to stimulate the mind and things like Chess24 are really good. They have live matches and tutorials from the best players as well as being able to play other people online.

Having said all that, I rarely play myself but watching live tournaments with the grandmasters and then having other grandmasters explaining what is going on is quite good.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 21:21 - Oct 11 with 1666 viewsjeera

Lewis Hamilton on 21:17 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

You should get back into it, always good to stimulate the mind and things like Chess24 are really good. They have live matches and tutorials from the best players as well as being able to play other people online.

Having said all that, I rarely play myself but watching live tournaments with the grandmasters and then having other grandmasters explaining what is going on is quite good.

SB

A couple of times when I've been unable to sleep I've found myself looking up a few old classic matches online. There's a number of famous matches that are on youtube with a narration of the moves etc.

More interesting than it sounds!

I just struggle to concentrate enough to give anyone a decent game myself atm.

Lewis Hamilton on 21:21 - Oct 11 with 1666 viewsJ2BLUE

Lewis Hamilton on 20:27 - Oct 11 by Mercian

In any other era Murray would have been #1.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024