Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU calling Johnsons bluff 19:48 - Oct 15 with 2263 viewsHARRY10

"Downing Street reacted in dismay as Emmanuel Macron led EU leaders in warning Boris Johnson that he must swallow the bloc’s conditions, in what appeared to be taken as a direct challenge to the British prime minister’s threat to walk out on the talks."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/15/uk-must-make-necessary-moves-fo

The sensible thought would be to agree another year or so extension, so as to allow all sides to focus their energy (and money) on dealing with covid.

Sadly, the dyed haired buffoon has talked himself into a corner with his sh it about oven ready deals and 'get it done' that he is stuck in this headlong dash to the cliff edge.

However, other than the usual loons howling to the moon, I would venture that most would accept the need to focus on the virus, and see such action as that of a statesman.

So now's your chance fatboy - by doing something right for once in your life.
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:53 - Oct 15 with 1931 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh yeah, we're about to crash out of our partnership with our nearest neighbours and one of the World's big 3 power blocks. I'd forgotten about that.

I hadn't really, as we've a £30 million hole per year to fill at work. Which we're struggling with and part of the reason we're making people redundant. Thank you Brexsh*tters.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:54 - Oct 15 with 1921 viewsBlueBadger

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:53 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Oh yeah, we're about to crash out of our partnership with our nearest neighbours and one of the World's big 3 power blocks. I'd forgotten about that.

I hadn't really, as we've a £30 million hole per year to fill at work. Which we're struggling with and part of the reason we're making people redundant. Thank you Brexsh*tters.

*sighs deeply in the key of 'nurse recruiting has been a sh1tshower for the past 4 years'*

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:57 - Oct 15 with 1909 viewsHerbivore

You should just retrain in cyber.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:10 - Oct 15 with 1875 viewsfactual_blue

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:10 - Oct 15 with 1877 viewsHARRY10

Until someone like the BBC has a group of brexiteers putting questions to experts, we will not see the change needed.

By experts, I mean a fact checking 'service' that can actually give the correct figures, and facts in reply to so much of the misinformation that is currently circulated.

In the most recent survey (6th Oct) 48% said yes against 38% who said no when asked

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?

The ports, the customs nor the hauliers are ready for whatever happens next - even a deal would be beyond what they could cope with. Yet here we are, spending huge sums, taking up resources that would be better used towards a decent track and trace system and recruiting staff (50,000) deal with 4 million extra forms a week, rather than to assist the NHS.

This should be about saving lives, not the face of certain lying politicians.
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:13 - Oct 15 with 1858 viewsHARRY10

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:57 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

You should just retrain in cyber.

Get a job in the West Country

retrain in cider
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:39 - Oct 15 with 1787 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:48 - Oct 15 with 1755 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:54 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

*sighs deeply in the key of 'nurse recruiting has been a sh1tshower for the past 4 years'*

I imagine it has. The removal of the bursaries can't have been good. And then to tell all the overseas nurses that they're parasites, probably isn't the best recruitment tool.

My old man was in his local community hospital for a few weeks recently. His ward had 4 beds occupied out of 10. The reason: not enough nurses. 40% capacity because of these arsewipes who are supposed to be lookng after our services.

Login to get fewer ads

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:48 - Oct 15 with 1756 viewsjaykay

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 19:54 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

didnt that 350 million a week help.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:52 - Oct 15 with 1744 viewsfactual_blue

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:39 - Oct 15 by BryanPlug

Nobody wants it back, thank you.

#tenyearsoftorymisrule

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:57 - Oct 15 with 1728 viewsHARRY10

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:39 - Oct 15 by BryanPlug

held up at the customs I think

in some sort of queue, they tell me
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 21:36 - Oct 15 with 1635 viewsNthsuffolkblue

His election slogan was "get Brexit done". There is no way he or his party overall would accept an extension. Instead they will try to blame all the damage done by it on the global Covid situation.

Quite how they will get away with it and having the worst record in Europe for handling that as well time will tell but I suspect it will be another slogan along the lines of "but Starmer". It may well also involve blaming everything on Johnson rather than his party after doing away with him (which is another reason why they will wait until he has been responsible to the end of the pandemic and after we have left as well).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:00 - Oct 15 with 1573 viewsRyorry

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:10 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

Until someone like the BBC has a group of brexiteers putting questions to experts, we will not see the change needed.

By experts, I mean a fact checking 'service' that can actually give the correct figures, and facts in reply to so much of the misinformation that is currently circulated.

In the most recent survey (6th Oct) 48% said yes against 38% who said no when asked

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?

The ports, the customs nor the hauliers are ready for whatever happens next - even a deal would be beyond what they could cope with. Yet here we are, spending huge sums, taking up resources that would be better used towards a decent track and trace system and recruiting staff (50,000) deal with 4 million extra forms a week, rather than to assist the NHS.

This should be about saving lives, not the face of certain lying politicians.

That makes 86% of our population unable to answer a straight question intelligently then ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:01 - Oct 15 with 1565 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:13 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

Get a job in the West Country

retrain in cider

Now that is something I could do.

Get Cider Done

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:06 - Oct 15 with 1551 viewsHARRY10

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:01 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Now that is something I could do.

Get Cider Done

Reminds me of a lass from those parts, I once knew

name of Rosie

partial to a local brew... Dicken cider

she was
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:08 - Oct 15 with 1542 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 20:57 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

held up at the customs I think

in some sort of queue, they tell me

In the queue for the portaloo on the M20.

It's the most moronic thing that's happened in my lifetime. There are literally no benefits other than than the empty bullsh*t and rhetoric around blue passports, stopping immigrants (that went well!), being able to trade with the world (which we did anyway), and taking back control (which we already had).

Meaningless crap the lot of it, made up by peole who just wanted power for tehmselves and money for their backers. People have been had.

I'm yet to hear of one personal benefit, but the downsides are many and far reaching.

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:23 - Oct 15 with 1505 viewsHARRY10

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:08 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

It's the most moronic thing that's happened in my lifetime. There are literally no benefits other than than the empty bullsh*t and rhetoric around blue passports, stopping immigrants (that went well!), being able to trade with the world (which we did anyway), and taking back control (which we already had).

Meaningless crap the lot of it, made up by peole who just wanted power for tehmselves and money for their backers. People have been had.

I'm yet to hear of one personal benefit, but the downsides are many and far reaching.

Covid provides the perfect cover to delay things, as they are certain to deliver a huge shtstorm when folk finally wake up to what is about to hit them.
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:07 - Oct 16 with 1196 viewsHARRY10

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:23 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

Covid provides the perfect cover to delay things, as they are certain to deliver a huge shtstorm when folk finally wake up to what is about to hit them.

So despite all the huff and puff, another deadline of Johnson's passes, and we have

"....while paving the way for the talks to continue next week as suggested by the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier."

Which rather suggests the EU has Johnson by the balls, and his empty threats are seen for what they are.... empty threats
EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:12 - Oct 16 with 1178 viewsHerbivore

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:07 - Oct 16 by HARRY10

So despite all the huff and puff, another deadline of Johnson's passes, and we have

"....while paving the way for the talks to continue next week as suggested by the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier."

Which rather suggests the EU has Johnson by the balls, and his empty threats are seen for what they are.... empty threats

If you're going to threaten to walk away from negotiations it only works if you are prepared to back up your threat with action. Johnson has shown the EU what they and we already knew, he's utterly spineless and totally incompetent. He has no plan here.

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:21 - Oct 16 with 1158 viewspointofblue

I am a Remainer but what’s the point in another year’s extension. They’ll just use that time to continue to go around in circles.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:26 - Oct 16 with 1149 viewsHerbivore

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:21 - Oct 16 by pointofblue

I am a Remainer but what’s the point in another year’s extension. They’ll just use that time to continue to go around in circles.

The point of it is to avoid catastrophe. To ask businesses to be ready to revert to WTO terms with only a couple of months' notice and with the supply line issues that are being spoken about, leaving without a deal will be a complete disaster. That's just in terms of the short term chaos. Longer term the costs will be huge. Nobody wants this to drag out at this point, but extending the transition to try to resolve the remaining issues is a much better bet than crashing out.

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:26 - Oct 16 with 1148 viewsKeno

But is ok with have a MAJOR trade deal with Africa

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:26 - Oct 16 with 1148 viewsDarth_Koont

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 22:08 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

“I’m yet to hear of one personal benefit ...”

Anyone in the current cabinet, many MPs and people employed by the Conservative party or cronies in receipt of the billions being siphoned off. Without Brexit, they’d have had to address their record of running of the country over the past decade and would have been electorally sunk.

By using Brexit, they managed to obscure that record and handicap the other parties instead.

This is what “clever politics” gets us ... unbelievably stupid and damaging real-life results.

Pronouns: He/Him

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:40 - Oct 16 with 1110 viewsMalcolmBlue

Legally speaking, I'm not sure if Johnson can just extend any more. He had the opportunity till the end of June (when Covid had already been around for months) and he stubbornly refused to trigger it.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:42 - Oct 16 with 1104 viewsHARRY10

EU calling Johnsons bluff on 13:12 - Oct 16 by Herbivore

If you're going to threaten to walk away from negotiations it only works if you are prepared to back up your threat with action. Johnson has shown the EU what they and we already knew, he's utterly spineless and totally incompetent. He has no plan here.

And that is what is blindingly obvious to the EU.

Johnson sets these dates, then backs down and sets another one,

The EU knows that the UK cannot afford '']no deal', and so will stick to the original deal Johnson signed.

I suspect what Johnson is trying to get is something that can be claimed as a victory, before caving in. Unfortunately there's little else bar fishing - which although symbolic is actually bollox in the grand scheme of things ie percentage of GDP
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024