Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid Vaccine 17:24 - Oct 18 with 4383 viewsBasuco

Clinical trials of a Covid vaccine is due to start in Addenbrookes Cambridge in early November, it is a live attenuated vaccine. Still a long way to go but good to hear things are moving forward.
Covid Vaccine on 17:33 - Oct 18 with 3484 viewsAce_High1

This is all I want for Christmas..... one of these to work and then be mass produced for all.
Covid Vaccine on 17:35 - Oct 18 with 3487 viewsTrequartista

If clinical trials are yet to start, that particular vaccine is months away at best.

The Oxford University vaccine is the one to keep an eye on, it is well into phase 3 of clinical trials, and due for final assessment in the next few weeks.

But there should be far more posts and far more news reports on potential vaccines. The news is so depressing people just turn it off, we need to think more positively.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 17:36]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Covid Vaccine on 17:41 - Oct 18 with 3455 viewsWD19

Covid Vaccine on 17:35 - Oct 18 by Trequartista

If clinical trials are yet to start, that particular vaccine is months away at best.

The Oxford University vaccine is the one to keep an eye on, it is well into phase 3 of clinical trials, and due for final assessment in the next few weeks.

But there should be far more posts and far more news reports on potential vaccines. The news is so depressing people just turn it off, we need to think more positively.

The UK has more vaccines pp on pre-order than any other country in the world, which is good news.

The bad news is that some of them have probably been ordered from Peckham Independent vaccines ltd.
Covid Vaccine on 17:42 - Oct 18 with 3439 viewsTrequartista

Covid Vaccine on 17:41 - Oct 18 by WD19

The UK has more vaccines pp on pre-order than any other country in the world, which is good news.

The bad news is that some of them have probably been ordered from Peckham Independent vaccines ltd.

Mange tout, Rodney.

Covid Vaccine on 17:44 - Oct 18 with 3440 viewsgtsb1966

Isn't anyone just a little bit worried about having a vaccination that has been rushed through. I am.
Covid Vaccine on 17:49 - Oct 18 with 3425 viewsTrequartista

Covid Vaccine on 17:44 - Oct 18 by gtsb1966

Isn't anyone just a little bit worried about having a vaccination that has been rushed through. I am.

Phase 3 of the clinical trials requires the vaccine to be given to hundreds of thousands of people, having already passed safety tests in the initial phase. Some of the candidates are also very similar to other vaccines already developed and tested for other viruses.

I wouldn't think a fair section of the population will need it anyway, i read somewhere that nobody in hospital the uk died of covid last week under 60 with no underlying health problems.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 17:49]

Covid Vaccine on 18:05 - Oct 18 with 3366 viewsjeera

Covid Vaccine on 17:49 - Oct 18 by Trequartista

Phase 3 of the clinical trials requires the vaccine to be given to hundreds of thousands of people, having already passed safety tests in the initial phase. Some of the candidates are also very similar to other vaccines already developed and tested for other viruses.

I wouldn't think a fair section of the population will need it anyway, i read somewhere that nobody in hospital the uk died of covid last week under 60 with no underlying health problems.

The lack of affordability will mean it will only go to certain groups you'd have thought.

There's still the odd case hitting the news of younger people being badly affected though.

It really needs to be made clear that people must at least take what practical steps they can to avoid the thing:

https://news.sky.com/story/influencer-dmitriy-stuzhuk-dies-from-covid-19-after-d

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Covid Vaccine on 18:07 - Oct 18 with 3362 viewsBasuco

They will start with healthy people, then if no one suffers a reaction it will be moved to a wider selection of the general public. There is also a mixture of vaccine and saline and volunteers to the trial will not know which they will be given. Do you feel lucky? Sign up for the trial.
Login to get fewer ads

Covid Vaccine on 18:10 - Oct 18 with 3352 viewsBasuco

Covid Vaccine on 18:05 - Oct 18 by jeera

The lack of affordability will mean it will only go to certain groups you'd have thought.

There's still the odd case hitting the news of younger people being badly affected though.

It really needs to be made clear that people must at least take what practical steps they can to avoid the thing:

https://news.sky.com/story/influencer-dmitriy-stuzhuk-dies-from-covid-19-after-d

I think the order is NHS workers, care workers, OAP's , clincally vulnerable, vulnerable, then everyone else. It is estimated that it will take around two years to get round to everyone at least.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 18:12]
Covid Vaccine on 19:40 - Oct 18 with 3202 viewsRyorry

Covid Vaccine on 17:35 - Oct 18 by Trequartista

There was an excellent man on (I think) 'Newscast' last week, a Prof Farrar who really got to the nitty gritty, & amongst other things, pointed out that the most hope is likely to lie in improving treatments rather than chasing in hope after a fully effective vaccine which might take years to produce, plus more years to administer as already mentioned in thread.

He drew parallels with the Aids virus - successful treatments have been developed and people are now living full lives with/despite it - but there's still no vaccine against it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Covid Vaccine on 19:42 - Oct 18 with 3196 viewsLeoMuff

It’s not just about deaths though, I bumped into a former colleague of mine who I hadn’t seem gotta few years,been off work since April with long COVID. Still nowhere near a return to work, she is in her late twenties or early 30s.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Covid Vaccine on 19:54 - Oct 18 with 3146 viewsgordon

Covid Vaccine on 19:40 - Oct 18 by Ryorry

There was an excellent man on (I think) 'Newscast' last week, a Prof Farrar who really got to the nitty gritty, & amongst other things, pointed out that the most hope is likely to lie in improving treatments rather than chasing in hope after a fully effective vaccine which might take years to produce, plus more years to administer as already mentioned in thread.

He drew parallels with the Aids virus - successful treatments have been developed and people are now living full lives with/despite it - but there's still no vaccine against it.

Jeremy Farrar, yes I always find it more reassuring to hear experts speak honestly about the scale of the problem. I think we've had an awful lot of wishful thinking, e.g. hearing Matt Hancock say that they've ordered 20 million anti-body tests, have a look in Boots next week and don't forget to stamp your immunity passport on the way out, or Alok Sharma telling us the vaccine will be ready for August etc.

That summary sounds right to me - a vaccine might take the edge off the winter peaks, but it isn't going to eradicate the coronavirus, no chance, it will become endemic like flu, and we'll have to adjust to dealing with it.
Covid Vaccine on 20:12 - Oct 18 with 3087 viewswellsy700

Covid Vaccine on 18:07 - Oct 18 by Basuco

They will start with healthy people, then if no one suffers a reaction it will be moved to a wider selection of the general public. There is also a mixture of vaccine and saline and volunteers to the trial will not know which they will be given. Do you feel lucky? Sign up for the trial.

I’ve signed myself up to be a volunteer

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Covid Vaccine on 08:09 - Oct 19 with 2761 viewsBluefish

Covid Vaccine on 17:41 - Oct 18 by WD19

They won't be offering them to 40 1/2 year old with excellent ball control though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Covid Vaccine on 08:45 - Oct 19 with 2712 viewsGeoffSentence

Covid Vaccine on 17:33 - Oct 18 by Ace_High1

This is all I want for Christmas..... one of these to work and then be mass produced for all.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for an immediate impact when it is released. Russia 'approved'* a vaccine on August the 11th, since then cases have tripled.

*rushed out without completing stage 3 testing.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Covid Vaccine on 08:49 - Oct 19 with 2704 viewsSonOfSpock

Slightly, especially as I was given the impression (as a layman) that vaccines in general can take years not months.

I just feel that its high risk.

It should also only be necessary for at risk groups to have it. Doesnt need to be rolled out across the board.
Covid Vaccine on 08:55 - Oct 19 with 2688 viewsHerbivore

Covid Vaccine on 08:49 - Oct 19 by SonOfSpock

Slightly, especially as I was given the impression (as a layman) that vaccines in general can take years not months.

It should also only be necessary for at risk groups to have it. Doesnt need to be rolled out across the board.

It will only be high risk groups, at least for the next year or two (assuming they get a working vaccine). It's not feasible to roll it out for everyone and probably not necessary either. I wouldn't be in a group that would need one but if I knew the vulnerable people in my network had an effective vaccine I'd be happy to go back to some sort of normal knowing I might get it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Covid Vaccine on 08:57 - Oct 19 with 2677 viewsjeera

Covid Vaccine on 08:49 - Oct 19 by SonOfSpock

If you're slightly concerned then it might not be the best idea to test it out on the most vulnerable to start with.

Maybe someone who has more chance of taking the hit.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Covid Vaccine on 09:05 - Oct 19 with 2653 viewsMookamoo

Covid Vaccine on 08:55 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

It will only be high risk groups, at least for the next year or two (assuming they get a working vaccine). It's not feasible to roll it out for everyone and probably not necessary either. I wouldn't be in a group that would need one but if I knew the vulnerable people in my network had an effective vaccine I'd be happy to go back to some sort of normal knowing I might get it.

I believe they've already said the vaccine will not be offered to under 18's unless deemed vulnerable. They want that age group to develop natural antibodies and there is evidence some have pre-existing immunity.
Covid Vaccine on 09:13 - Oct 19 with 2625 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Vaccine on 09:05 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

I believe they've already said the vaccine will not be offered to under 18's unless deemed vulnerable. They want that age group to develop natural antibodies and there is evidence some have pre-existing immunity.

Do you have a link to any articles showing this research?

It just seems unlikely the antibodies will develop naturally and persist given they haven't for other coranaviruses and there have been proven cases of re-infection.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid Vaccine on 09:16 - Oct 19 with 2618 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's a pity that one hundredth of the same effort isn't put into research for far more pressing problems than yet another 'vaccine' for a virus that appears of little consequence to the vast majority of the population.

New generation antibiotics for example could save millions more lives.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Covid Vaccine on 09:17 - Oct 19 with 2610 viewsMookamoo

Covid Vaccine on 09:13 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

It just seems unlikely the antibodies will develop naturally and persist given they haven't for other coranaviruses and there have been proven cases of re-infection.

SB

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

I suppose we stand a better chance against COVID-23 or whenever the next one hits if we can keep it to a minimum naturally.
Covid Vaccine on 09:19 - Oct 19 with 2604 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Vaccine on 09:17 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

I suppose we stand a better chance against COVID-23 or whenever the next one hits if we can keep it to a minimum naturally.

Thanks - I'll read that later on.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid Vaccine on 09:55 - Oct 19 with 2561 viewsbracknell_blue

That is not a reason for widely giving the vaccine. The more people that are immune, the less chance of passing the virus to someone in a vulnerbale group. Not to mention the "long COVID" that is being reported where symptoms can be long term if not permanent, such as deafness. The potential damage that COVID can do means that as many people as possible should get vaccinated.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Covid Vaccine on 10:15 - Oct 19 with 2525 viewsRyorry

Covid Vaccine on 09:13 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

SB

I heard a World Service docu about a week ago on global health issues, which highlighted a research group somewhere (can't recall where, sorry) that had run a study & found that mask-wearing had a kind of vaccination effect over a lengthy period of time - a molecule here and there leaking out from infected people wearing masks, effectively built up antibodies in the "recipients" without them actually catching Covid.

Was suggested this could be used as an incentive to encourage mask-wearing.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024