Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters 09:23 - Oct 21 with 4174 viewsKeno

but I don't get the whole 'its only one defeat' thing.

We have been crap for most of the 2 years under Lambert
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 9:49]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:34 - Oct 21 with 1573 viewsKieran_Knows

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:14 - Oct 21 by itfcjoe

We are creating far more better chances this season, compared to the games at this stage last year.

Even on Saturday when we had a really poor first half the 2 best chances fell to Freddie Sears. I don't think anyone will say we are putting brilliant 90 minute performances behind us at the moment - but (aside from MK) we are creating a good number of good chances per game, whilst limiting the opposition to a few.

I think our points haul this season, bar a point nicked at MK, is fair - whereas last year in our good run - games away at Gillingha, MK, even Burton on the opening day saw us score from one of very few chances created and then get away with a few bits defensively.

Our performances this year seem far more sustainable, but think the team needs to evolve into something like the below over the course of the season:

---------------------Cornell------------------
KVY-------Chambers--Woolf----Ward
---------------------Dozz-------------------
-------------Bish----------Downes--------
Lankester/KB-----------------------Edward
--------------------Hawkins---------------

Defensively, we have defended well, but it is almost at a stage where being progressive from the back is as, if not more, important than that. But I can't really fault Lambert for sticking with what has worked, and he has tough decisions to make, which he is paid big money to do.

That would be my starting 11 also. The quicker we can get to that, the better.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:35 - Oct 21 with 1574 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:15 - Oct 21 by Fixed_It

But it is only one defeat in the context of this season, when we have largely been much better.

I agree about this season but in the context of Lamberts while tenure we are crap

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:39 - Oct 21 with 1558 viewsBluefish

We got our club back and we are lucky to have him

After 1 win = he has learned and put it right

After a defeat = it is just a blip

The fact remains we have been unconvincing this season and were always going to struggle at the 1st real test. It is incredible how quickly people want to forget 2 years of abject failure and sleepwalk into a 3rd. He is not a cheap rookie option with potential, he is the highest if not top 3 highest paid managers in the division and he is useless

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:40 - Oct 21 with 1552 viewsBluefish

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:36 - Oct 21 by blueislander

So they can pass it well and don’t need to be taught how to?

Let the shouty man shout

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:40 - Oct 21 with 1564 viewsGuthrum

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:29 - Oct 21 by ElephantintheRoom

Let me help you comprehend the situation.

Before last night top and unbeatenn after playing a few dud teams and one non-existant one.

After last night - no longer unbeaten having lost one to one of the better teams in the division.

It IS only one defeat. 0 + 1 = 1

It's inaccurate and disingenuous to dismiss all our wins as being against 'a few dud teams'. Accrington and Bristol Rovers are both top ten, with the former being top six when we played them and currently only one place below last night's opponents.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:45 - Oct 21 with 1542 viewsBluefish

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:40 - Oct 21 by Guthrum

It's inaccurate and disingenuous to dismiss all our wins as being against 'a few dud teams'. Accrington and Bristol Rovers are both top ten, with the former being top six when we played them and currently only one place below last night's opponents.

Accrington are an ok team but we struggled. There wasn't a lot convincing about the performance. Last season could not be a clearer message about getting carried away with a few results vs performance

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:48 - Oct 21 with 1548 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:40 - Oct 21 by Guthrum

so by that logic are we only beaten by teams who are better than us?

(for the sake of clarity I am being facetious)

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:51 - Oct 21 with 1540 viewsGuthrum

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:45 - Oct 21 by Bluefish

Accrington are an ok team but we struggled. There wasn't a lot convincing about the performance. Last season could not be a clearer message about getting carried away with a few results vs performance

We struggled in the first 45, but kept a clean sheet, then put pressure on in the second half and won it comfortably.

I'm not getting carried away, because we could be top in January and still b#gger it up (as we well know). But I also think one bad result is a little premature to leap on the "here we go again" juggernaut. Especially when people start bending the facts to fit the narrative.

Login to get fewer ads

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:53 - Oct 21 with 1533 viewsGuthrum

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:48 - Oct 21 by Keno

so by that logic are we only beaten by teams who are better than us?

(for the sake of clarity I am being facetious)

All our points have come from teams below us in the table.

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 12:07 - Oct 21 with 1513 viewsjeera

"I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters..."

*spits tea everywhere*

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 12:31 - Oct 21 with 1494 viewsRegencyBlue

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:15 - Oct 21 by Fixed_It

But it is only one defeat in the context of this season, when we have largely been much better.

I don’t think it’s the defeat itself which is the problem, it’s the manner of it that begins to ring alarm bells. Much of what we have seen over the last two seasons was on display again last night and it wasn’t pretty!

A big wake up call IMHO and we need a positive reaction to it on Saturday.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 12:39 - Oct 21 with 1486 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:53 - Oct 21 by Guthrum

All our points have come from teams below us in the table.

we only lose to teams who score more goals than us

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 12:40 - Oct 21 with 1484 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 12:07 - Oct 21 by jeera

"I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters..."

*spits tea everywhere*

I may take that as a compliment, I think

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 12:56 - Oct 21 with 1476 viewsHerbivore

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:14 - Oct 21 by itfcjoe

We are creating far more better chances this season, compared to the games at this stage last year.

Even on Saturday when we had a really poor first half the 2 best chances fell to Freddie Sears. I don't think anyone will say we are putting brilliant 90 minute performances behind us at the moment - but (aside from MK) we are creating a good number of good chances per game, whilst limiting the opposition to a few.

I think our points haul this season, bar a point nicked at MK, is fair - whereas last year in our good run - games away at Gillingha, MK, even Burton on the opening day saw us score from one of very few chances created and then get away with a few bits defensively.

Our performances this year seem far more sustainable, but think the team needs to evolve into something like the below over the course of the season:

Defensively, we have defended well, but it is almost at a stage where being progressive from the back is as, if not more, important than that. But I can't really fault Lambert for sticking with what has worked, and he has tough decisions to make, which he is paid big money to do.

I think we're seeing it quite differently.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 13:01 - Oct 21 with 1466 viewsnoggin

We've been pretty crap throughout the whole Evans era.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 13:03]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 13:02 - Oct 21 with 1466 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I really like that team you've put there. Downes and KVY the obvious ones who can't feature right now.

Replaced with Nolan and Nsiala. If we persist with ball playing, which we should, the best best two passing CB on the limited amount I have seen is McGuinness and Woolfenden, don't think Lambert will trust them two kids, but flanked by Chambers and Ward I think it could work very well.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 13:22 - Oct 21 with 1447 viewsclive_baker

I think that's spot on. We robbed Burton on the opening day last season. The draw against Sunderland was about right, then we were lucky to get a point at Peterborough. We scraped a win against a poor Wimbledon side and beat Bolton U10's. The Shrewsbury performance was good, and then we were outplayed by Doncaster at home in a 0-0. That was our opening 7 games last season and while I do think the quality of opposition was, on balance, stronger, the only sides we beat during that 'run' were Wimbledon (finished 20th), Bolton U10s (bottom), Shrewsbury (15th) and Burton (12th). We're certainly playing much better football this season, and as you say it feels more sustainable longer term, and we've looked pretty comfortable with the exception of 45 minutes last night and MK dons, where they dominated for long spells (although going down to 10 men didn't help). There are definite reasons to believe we're a better side than we were this time last season.

Last night was ominous because they're the first side we've played that I would class as good at this level. Playoffs quality good, IMO. The first 30 minutes last night gave me a lot of confidence, but to capitulate in the manner we did is concerning. We need to cut out the individual errors, and make sure we play football at the right times and in the right areas. We're our own worst enemy at times, and I thought the 1st and 4th goals in particular were perfectly avoidable. I've lost count of the number of times Holy has nearly gifted a goal, or at best kicked straight into touch. I'm not convinced he's good enough with his feet to support the style we want to play. I don't think we can expect Holy to now be Alisson.

It's all very well thinking we're a decent side though, and at some stage we do need to dispatch the better teams and demonstrate that hypothesis if we're going to do anything. I think we'll know a bit more in 2 weeks with regards to where we're at, once we've played Lincoln and Sunderland away. We need to start picking up points in those and remaining consistent against the Gillingham's and Crewe's.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 14:38 - Oct 21 with 1407 viewspatrickswell

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 13:01 - Oct 21 by noggin

We've been pretty crap throughout the whole Evans era.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 13:03]

And the one time we weren't consistently crap during the Evans era, he gave his manager 50p for signings.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 19:27 - Oct 24 with 1319 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 14:38 - Oct 21 by patrickswell

And the one time we weren't consistently crap during the Evans era, he gave his manager 50p for signings.

Bump bump bumpity bump .... bump

Its two games now

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 19:28 - Oct 24 with 1317 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We were crap before Lambert too. We could just defend a bit better.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 19:34 - Oct 24 with 1294 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Yeah, I have always been a glass half full type of person, but Lambert has used all his lives with me now.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:20 - Nov 11 with 1202 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 19:34 - Oct 24 by IpswichBoyBlue

Yeah, I have always been a glass half full type of person, but Lambert has used all his lives with me now.

Bump bump bumpity bumpity bump

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 21:28 - Nov 24 with 1141 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:20 - Nov 11 by Keno

Bump bump bumpity bumpity bump

Ker plunk

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024