Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit 10:06 - Nov 10 with 1579 viewsWeWereZombies

No, not Joe Biden...or Paul Lambert. John Major is saying that 'Brexit set to be more brutal than anyone expected'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54879209

Not my side of the political spectrum, and I do not always find what he says helpful, but you have to admit that he has been at the helm and knows what is involved in British and International political affairs.So this quote is especially sobering:

'Because of our bombast, our blustering, our threats and our inflexibility - our trade will be less profitable, our Treasury poorer, our jobs fewer, and our future less prosperous'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:11 - Nov 10 with 1554 viewsHARRY10

His words (as quoted) have been known since way before the actual referendum.

Unfortunately, it has taken this nonsense to be played out before it that knowledge has finally become irrefutable.
Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:14 - Nov 10 with 1543 viewsSwansea_Blue

All a price apparently worth paying (for what, nobody seems able to say).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:16 - Nov 10 with 1531 viewsFixed_It

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:14 - Nov 10 by Swansea_Blue

Blue passports?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:21 - Nov 10 with 1508 viewsSwansea_Blue

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:16 - Nov 10 by Fixed_It

Blue passports?

Seem to be popular in certain parts, but then even then we could have had blue passports before.

I think my mistake is looking for a sensible reason to do it. There probably isn't one.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:24 - Nov 10 with 1488 viewseastangliaisblue

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:21 - Nov 10 by Swansea_Blue

Seem to be popular in certain parts, but then even then we could have had blue passports before.

I think my mistake is looking for a sensible reason to do it. There probably isn't one.

You're right there isn't one. Not one.
Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:29 - Nov 10 with 1485 viewsFixed_It

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:21 - Nov 10 by Swansea_Blue

I like blue.
But you are right, there isn't one justifiable reason as far as I can see, and as far as anyone has been able to articulate without just saying 'Wibble'.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:33 - Nov 10 with 1475 viewsfooters

Think it says a lot about the last decade in UK politics that I now actually quite admire John Major.

And I never thought I'd be saying that.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:38 - Nov 10 with 1446 viewsfactual_blue

It saved the tory party?

Nope. Still not a sensible reason.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:39 - Nov 10 with 1449 viewsBlueBadger

Its come to something when the ineffectual, incompetent and reactionary Major looks statesmanlike by comparison to the current government.

See also: George Dubya and Trumpy-wumpy.

Perhaps that's why people like Lambert so much, given he followed Hurst?
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 10:43]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:40 - Nov 10 with 1437 viewsfactual_blue

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:16 - Nov 10 by Fixed_It

Blue passports?

My new passport is arriving in a couple of days. I'm expecting an epiphany, and a conversion to village green views.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:48 - Nov 10 with 1406 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Yes there is. The EU had brought in new money laundering regulations which would make it more difficult for very rich people to move their money offshore with no questions asked. Brexit has to happen before the people who bankrolled the Leave campaign, and their "Private Wealth Managers" like Rees-Mogg, get caught up in all that unpleasantness.

It all makes perfect sense.

The bit that is harder to understand is what people who will find their summer holidays and weekly food shops suddenly costing a lot more actually get out of it. The answer seems to be some kind of nationalistic pride at sticking it to the French and Germans.

Meanwhile the French and Germans look on with a slightly bemused look on their faces wondering why (just under) 52% of the British population have stuck it to themselves.
Politicians are a funny old breed.... on 10:53 - Nov 10 with 1388 viewsBloots

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:33 - Nov 10 by footers

Think it says a lot about the last decade in UK politics that I now actually quite admire John Major.

....a lot of them suddenly become sensible once they step out of mainstream politics.

Anyone would think that weren't really saying what they thought when they were in their day jobs.

Another reason why we need to get the politicians out of politics.

We should get a businessman in, just like they.....oh hang on.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

That was an unusual pitch to become PM... on 10:54 - Nov 10 with 1375 viewsfooters

Politicians are a funny old breed.... on 10:53 - Nov 10 by Bloots

....a lot of them suddenly become sensible once they step out of mainstream politics.

Anyone would think that weren't really saying what they thought when they were in their day jobs.

Another reason why we need to get the politicians out of politics.

We should get a businessman in, just like they.....oh hang on.

... sweetheart. But if you really don't want to do it, you've got my vote.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 11:04 - Nov 10 with 1351 viewsgiant_stow

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:33 - Nov 10 by footers

Yes, he looks a little more reasonable and competent now!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 16:48 - Nov 10 with 1278 viewseireblue

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:14 - Nov 10 by Swansea_Blue

Farage was very clear. He was happy to be poorer, if it meant less foreigners.

Sorry, let me rephrase that, he was happy for other people to be poorer.....
Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 17:06 - Nov 10 with 1255 viewssolemio

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 11:04 - Nov 10 by giant_stow

Yes, he looks a little more reasonable and competent now!

Most of the work for the Northern Ireland agreement was done by John Major, although Blair was happy to take most of the credit.

Anyhow, someone who loves cricket as much as Major does can't possibly be all bad.
Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 17:10 - Nov 10 with 1250 viewssolemio

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 10:40 - Nov 10 by factual_blue

My new passport is arriving in a couple of days. I'm expecting an epiphany, and a conversion to village green views.

I assume that's village greens in general rather than any specific green in, let's say for sake of example only, one in the North part of Essex.

Mind you you may well find that folk in frontier areas such as Ixworth are being issued with yellow and green passports.
Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 18:40 - Nov 10 with 1192 viewsmonytowbray

Brexit is our Trump mess, but at least they got a redo 4 years later.

It’s a kamikaze mission at this point. Everyone knows it, but there’s a big chunk of those who voted for it who’d sooner bury their head in the sand than admit fault.

*inserts comic of the slugs cheering on the shaker of salt*

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Someone who had to sort out a big mess left by their predecessor warns on Brexit on 18:44 - Nov 10 with 1179 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/editorpicks/john-major-has-given-us-a-hard-dose-o

"Britain has, as Major pointed out, less than 1 per cent of the world’s population and no amount of bombast, blustering and threat is going to change that fact. You can only ignore facts for so long before they bite you in the ass."

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024