Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memories of playing Charlton at home 14:21 - Nov 27 with 1593 viewsIllinoisblue

Kevin Lisbie with a cracker to beat us late on, must have been Aug or Sep 2001. Hot day, Charlton fans singing Mull of Kintyre song at the end?

Early 90s around Xmas or new year, 4-4 draw.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:26 - Nov 27 with 1426 viewsHerbivore

I was there for the Lisbie game, Charlton absolutely mugged us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:26 - Nov 27 with 1427 viewsclive_baker

Was that Lisbie goal when the building works were happening at the North Stand?

I've got more memories of Charlton away that home, which is ironic given I'm normally in a drunken state at the Valley.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:30 - Nov 27 with 1410 viewsSwailsey

My first experience of the play-offs, made a homemade Richard Wright flag by sticking a poster from the programme on a straw. Clapham scored an own goal.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:32 - Nov 27 with 1411 viewsSomethingBlue

The 4-4 was my second-ever Town game, on my eighth birthday. Absolute cracker, think somebody put it up on Youtube in the past year.

Play-off when Clapham scored the OG at the start was a real low. I remember feeling incredibly pumped for it and convinced we'd do it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:48 - Nov 27 with 1372 viewsSarge

Probably the last really good performance of the 14-15 season which marked the turning point for ultimately struggling across the line.

Running out of steam in December or earlier seems to be a theme, even in our better seasons.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 14:49]
Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:51 - Nov 27 with 1364 viewsSteve_M

That Lisbie goal was an absolute killer, one of many games that season that had it gone better might have changed the last 19 years. The season before, Holland and Stewart scoring late on after a tough game was much more enjoyable, epitomised what we were about that season.

More recently, the game under Jewell in September 2012, after a midweek loss to Wolves, might be a pertinent one to recall this week. We got worse and worse as it went on, gave two bad goals away and it was certainly the point of no return for him. Evans still gave him another month though.

I was that annoyed I wrote a blog after it:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21225/where-does-this-football-club-go-from-here/#0

One glaring error here, I was wrong about MM, he was far better than I thought. That last paragraph is depressing though, I wish that hadn't been so accurate.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 with 1351 viewsDubtractor

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:30 - Nov 27 by Swailsey

My first experience of the play-offs, made a homemade Richard Wright flag by sticking a poster from the programme on a straw. Clapham scored an own goal.

2 play off games stand out for me.

The 1987 one when I was in the Churchmans to see Cooper save a Charlton penalty. Ended 0-0 and we lost the second leg.

The Clapham OG one when I was directly in line with it behind the North Stand goal.

So many happy memories.....

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 with 1353 viewsbluelagos

My first memory of Charlton was the first playoff games. (The first one in the mid 80s)

Won 1-0 before losing the second leg at Selhurst Park on the Sunday. Missed most of the first half and we were 2 down when I arrived.

Bobby F's last match as manager with his contract not renewed that summer. Town had never sacked a manager I think at that point.

Edit: Been pointed out was 0-0 first leg. Won't correct above as it makes other posts look silly.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 15:09]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 with 1353 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:26 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

I was there for the Lisbie game, Charlton absolutely mugged us.

I vividly remember the guy in front of me screaming "don't let the ball bounce" just before Lisbie rifled into the far corner.

Really set the tone for the season to follow

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:55 - Nov 27 with 1340 viewsbluelagos

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

2 play off games stand out for me.

The 1987 one when I was in the Churchmans to see Cooper save a Charlton penalty. Ended 0-0 and we lost the second leg.

The Clapham OG one when I was directly in line with it behind the North Stand goal.

So many happy memories.....

Thought we won 1-0? Could be wrong, long time ago.

Edit - yep google says 0-0.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 14:57]

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:56 - Nov 27 with 1339 viewsDubtractor

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 by bluelagos

My first memory of Charlton was the first playoff games. (The first one in the mid 80s)

Won 1-0 before losing the second leg at Selhurst Park on the Sunday. Missed most of the first half and we were 2 down when I arrived.

Bobby F's last match as manager with his contract not renewed that summer. Town had never sacked a manager I think at that point.

Edit: Been pointed out was 0-0 first leg. Won't correct above as it makes other posts look silly.

You had me doubting myself there on the 87 game, but just checked and my memory is fine. First leg was 0-0.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:59 - Nov 27 with 1319 viewsHerbivore

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

I vividly remember the guy in front of me screaming "don't let the ball bounce" just before Lisbie rifled into the far corner.

Really set the tone for the season to follow

99 times out of 100, that doesn't go in. It wasn't even really a chance, he just caught it perfectly. That goal and game rather epitomised our season. We didn't do ourselves all that many favours and didn't get a lot of luck go our way either.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 14:59]

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:00 - Nov 27 with 1309 viewsbluelagos

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:56 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

You had me doubting myself there on the 87 game, but just checked and my memory is fine. First leg was 0-0.

The timing of the second leg was ridiculous. Sunday 11ish? I know I caught the first train and was due to miss the first 45 mins. There were a couple 100 or so on the train in a similar position.

Kick off was delayed by 15 mins but still missed most of the first half.

Big open terrace, stood near the front. Turned around to leave with a few mins left, walked up the terrace, we pulled one back. Missed all 3 goals ffs.

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:04 - Nov 27 with 1288 viewsSomethingBlue

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:59 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

99 times out of 100, that doesn't go in. It wasn't even really a chance, he just caught it perfectly. That goal and game rather epitomised our season. We didn't do ourselves all that many favours and didn't get a lot of luck go our way either.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 14:59]

The thing with the Lisbie one was that we'd just trounced Derby in that Finidi game and everyone felt a little exuberant, it seemed as if we were still very much on the rise. Got hit by that sucker punch against Charlton — when we'd had the chances to win as I recall — and never recovered. Still haven't.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:05 - Nov 27 with 1283 viewsGeoffSentence

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:53 - Nov 27 by bluelagos

We completely outplayed them in that first game and should have absolutely buried them, but I think you'll find we didnt find the net and it was a 0-0 draw.

In the away leg we were totally insipid, completely lacklustre, until the last few minutes when the team woke up to the fact they had to score to have a shot at promotion.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:05 - Nov 27 with 1278 viewsIllinoisblue

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:51 - Nov 27 by Steve_M

That Lisbie goal was an absolute killer, one of many games that season that had it gone better might have changed the last 19 years. The season before, Holland and Stewart scoring late on after a tough game was much more enjoyable, epitomised what we were about that season.

More recently, the game under Jewell in September 2012, after a midweek loss to Wolves, might be a pertinent one to recall this week. We got worse and worse as it went on, gave two bad goals away and it was certainly the point of no return for him. Evans still gave him another month though.

I was that annoyed I wrote a blog after it:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21225/where-does-this-football-club-go-from-here/#0

One glaring error here, I was wrong about MM, he was far better than I thought. That last paragraph is depressing though, I wish that hadn't been so accurate.

I was in England for both that Wolves and Charlton game... bad timing. And yes your last para from that blog is depressingly accurate . Will we ever break the cycle of despair?

62 - 78 - 81

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:25 - Nov 27 with 1229 viewsHerbivore

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:04 - Nov 27 by SomethingBlue

The thing with the Lisbie one was that we'd just trounced Derby in that Finidi game and everyone felt a little exuberant, it seemed as if we were still very much on the rise. Got hit by that sucker punch against Charlton — when we'd had the chances to win as I recall — and never recovered. Still haven't.

They'd parked the bus and we'd struggled to break them down, but created enough half chances to have won the game. I don't recall them having a shot other than the one Lisbie stuck top bins with almost the last kick of the game. It was a real gut punch.

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:29 - Nov 27 with 1222 viewsgainsboroughblue

FA Cup 1981. I think we won 2-0 and PR was absolutely packed. The attendance was 30,000 I think but how another 7-8,000 people would have fitted in there is anybody's guess. Loads of Charlton fans too. I'm pretty sure they wore yellow and not red. Can't remember the scorers but I think I recall a young Paul Walsh in action for them.

Play-Offs 87. All I really remember is the Cooper penalty save and being 2-0 down from very early on in the second leg.

The 4-4 in 1990-91 was a cracking game. In true Town style we blew not one but two 2 goal leads.

Boxing day 91. I was absolutely ratted after an early session in the Hare and Hounds. We won 2-0.

Losing 1-5 at home 95-96. I'm pretty sure it was our first home defeat of the season. Gregory went in goal after Forrest got crocked.

Play-Offs 97-98. That was a miserable couple of games. All the more galling given that we had beaten them convincingly only a few weeks before hand.

Doing the double over them in great style in promotion campaign. We were the best two sides in the league that year when the media were mainly concentrating on the darlings at Maine Road.

A couple of away days in the noughties where lots of drink was consumed. I missed the Lisbie game.

When I think of Charlton, I think of gangly, awkward strikers and that guy with the fuzzy hair and moustache in the panini albums in the early 80s, (Derek Hales?)

Edit. I didn't go but I can remember celebrating at home as we came back from 2-0 down to win at the Valley in the FA Cup in the last minute. Warky I believe. An hour later, Keith Deller won the world darts final. That was a good day.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 15:33]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:37 - Nov 27 with 1198 viewsTrumptonBlue

The 4-2 win in the promotion season was good fun. Coming back from 1-2, a lovely goal from Sticky Mockwell and Johnno scoring with a diving header from 7 centimetres.
Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:48 - Nov 27 with 1170 viewsEastTownBlue

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 14:32 - Nov 27 by SomethingBlue

The 4-4 was my second-ever Town game, on my eighth birthday. Absolute cracker, think somebody put it up on Youtube in the past year.

Play-off when Clapham scored the OG at the start was a real low. I remember feeling incredibly pumped for it and convinced we'd do it.

Yes, I saw that on YouTube quite recently.

The only I time I can recall having seen us throw away a two goal lead twice in the same match.
Memories of playing Charlton at home on 16:00 - Nov 27 with 1143 viewsIllinoisblue

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 15:29 - Nov 27 by gainsboroughblue

FA Cup 1981. I think we won 2-0 and PR was absolutely packed. The attendance was 30,000 I think but how another 7-8,000 people would have fitted in there is anybody's guess. Loads of Charlton fans too. I'm pretty sure they wore yellow and not red. Can't remember the scorers but I think I recall a young Paul Walsh in action for them.

Play-Offs 87. All I really remember is the Cooper penalty save and being 2-0 down from very early on in the second leg.

The 4-4 in 1990-91 was a cracking game. In true Town style we blew not one but two 2 goal leads.

Boxing day 91. I was absolutely ratted after an early session in the Hare and Hounds. We won 2-0.

Losing 1-5 at home 95-96. I'm pretty sure it was our first home defeat of the season. Gregory went in goal after Forrest got crocked.

Play-Offs 97-98. That was a miserable couple of games. All the more galling given that we had beaten them convincingly only a few weeks before hand.

Doing the double over them in great style in promotion campaign. We were the best two sides in the league that year when the media were mainly concentrating on the darlings at Maine Road.

A couple of away days in the noughties where lots of drink was consumed. I missed the Lisbie game.

When I think of Charlton, I think of gangly, awkward strikers and that guy with the fuzzy hair and moustache in the panini albums in the early 80s, (Derek Hales?)

Edit. I didn't go but I can remember celebrating at home as we came back from 2-0 down to win at the Valley in the FA Cup in the last minute. Warky I believe. An hour later, Keith Deller won the world darts final. That was a good day.

Good memories! There’s highlights of that away game in the Cup on YouTube. Great stuff

62 - 78 - 81

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 16:13 - Nov 27 with 1125 viewsSuperCoops

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 16:00 - Nov 27 by Illinoisblue

Good memories! There’s highlights of that away game in the Cup on YouTube. Great stuff

Remember the 4-4 very well.

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 16:33 - Nov 27 with 1101 viewsTrumptonBlue

Memories of playing Charlton at home on 16:13 - Nov 27 by SuperCoops

Remember the 4-4 very well.

I think that was something like our seventh consecutive draw. Having chucked away a two-goal lead twice, it really did feel like we were trying all kinds of new and interesting ways not to win games.
Memories of playing Charlton at home on 16:47 - Nov 27 with 1082 viewsjontysnut

I remember the 81 Cup game an a Charlton fan in a crash helmet nutting the fence in the away pen.
Memories of playing Charlton at home on 05:26 - Nov 28 with 950 views117elibank

1981 we were there . . . I was in the Charlton end which was sold out . . . brother Neil & co in your end . . . You played us off the park . . . Fair play . . .
Have done all the playoff games and many in between. . .
For what it’s worth I think you will win today . . . We have no centre backs . . All four out injured. .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024