Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There goes Debenhams then.... 10:58 - Dec 1 with 4368 viewsThe_Major

That's going to leave some very large empty buildings. That one on the Cornhill for a start off is going to be like an open sore.
There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:01 - Dec 1 with 3160 viewswkj

Debenhams is a classic example of totally misreading the times. Slow to invest into online sales, did not respond to the recession, and trying to charge ridiculous mark ups on items drastically cheaper elsewhere.

See also ToysRUs

I can't feel sad about the situation for the company, but desperately sympathetic for the workers and their families that have to compound their 2020 misery even further.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:07 - Dec 1 with 3137 viewsThe_Major

This is going to show my age dreadfully, but I can just about recall them pulling down the old Footmans store and then building the current Debenhams on top of it.

Debenhams itself was then in what is now Superdrug (Formerly HMV, John Menzies) in the old Corders shop which went all the way through to the Buttermarket where Waterstones is now.

The other thing I always recall about Debenhams is when for some bizarre reason they had an amusement arcade on the top floor circa 1989.
There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:09 - Dec 1 with 3117 viewsDebsyAngel

I really do not want it to go. Hardly their fault if stores have been shut because of this rotten situation.

I used to shop in there and they were great for underwear, shoes and clothing. I really do not want to buy these online as I always have to try stuff on.

So we only have M&S left now for a Department store. What a sad day. I long for the exciting town centre we used to have in the 70s and 80s. At this rate we will have nothing but McDonalds, Costa and barbers shops. Or places being turned into housing.
There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:09 - Dec 1 with 3111 viewswkj

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:07 - Dec 1 by The_Major

This is going to show my age dreadfully, but I can just about recall them pulling down the old Footmans store and then building the current Debenhams on top of it.

Debenhams itself was then in what is now Superdrug (Formerly HMV, John Menzies) in the old Corders shop which went all the way through to the Buttermarket where Waterstones is now.

The other thing I always recall about Debenhams is when for some bizarre reason they had an amusement arcade on the top floor circa 1989.

That was a bit before my time, but I desperately miss Grimwades. One of the nicest sausage pies I have ever eaten was up in there cafe on the top floor, better than my mums (although I would never tell her that)

Crybaby

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:11 - Dec 1 with 3103 viewsDanTheMan

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:01 - Dec 1 by wkj

Debenhams is a classic example of totally misreading the times. Slow to invest into online sales, did not respond to the recession, and trying to charge ridiculous mark ups on items drastically cheaper elsewhere.

See also ToysRUs

I can't feel sad about the situation for the company, but desperately sympathetic for the workers and their families that have to compound their 2020 misery even further.

I think the last time I went into Debenhams it would have been to get some currency.

Now I'm not exactly a bit shopper anyway but what amazed me about the place is how absolutely drab the whole experience was. The first place you walk into with it seems to always be the "beauty" bit so your immediate experience was an assault on the senses. Incredibly bright lights and 400 different fragrances thrown together.

This kind of thing. As you say, everything in there was overpriced for what it was, there was basically no reason to be in there.

I'm really sad for all those that lost their jobs, not their fault. The company just did not move with the times.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:11 - Dec 1 with 3097 viewswkj

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:09 - Dec 1 by DebsyAngel

I really do not want it to go. Hardly their fault if stores have been shut because of this rotten situation.

I used to shop in there and they were great for underwear, shoes and clothing. I really do not want to buy these online as I always have to try stuff on.

So we only have M&S left now for a Department store. What a sad day. I long for the exciting town centre we used to have in the 70s and 80s. At this rate we will have nothing but McDonalds, Costa and barbers shops. Or places being turned into housing.

The way towns are growing now, the traditional high-street is probably on the way out. I can't pretend that I don't prefer to convenience of shopping areas like Ravenswood on the outskirts of towns. Getting stuck in town centre traffic has got to be one of the most unnecessary and hated consequences of high street shopping.

Crybaby

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:13 - Dec 1 with 3090 viewsStokieBlue

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:09 - Dec 1 by DebsyAngel

Debenhams were gone long before C19.

C19 has just accelerated the situation rather than it dragging out another year or so.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:13 - Dec 1 with 3089 viewswkj

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:11 - Dec 1 by DanTheMan

I think the last time I went into Debenhams it would have been to get some currency.

Now I'm not exactly a bit shopper anyway but what amazed me about the place is how absolutely drab the whole experience was. The first place you walk into with it seems to always be the "beauty" bit so your immediate experience was an assault on the senses. Incredibly bright lights and 400 different fragrances thrown together.

This kind of thing. As you say, everything in there was overpriced for what it was, there was basically no reason to be in there.

I'm really sad for all those that lost their jobs, not their fault. The company just did not move with the times.

Yeah, the fragrance area at the front of the store is a serious issue for people in my opinion. Whilst the logic is to have nice smelling things hit you upon entering, I found it was always acrid and induced a headache. This was the main reason why I quit going in there.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:14 - Dec 1 with 3073 viewsTractorWood

See also ToysRUs

This. HMV, Debenhams, Topshop, BHS.

Prime property is too expensive. People can buy high margin dross online with next day delivery a ubiquitous feature. Even if it's £10, it's cheaper than going there, parking, public transport, inconvenience etc.

Online retail is the future. It's madness it's taken this long for some of these businesses to fail. The economics of the high street just don't really work any more. Those that are changing may survive.

Banks have been hammered for it for years but the truth is, you don't need branches.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:17 - Dec 1 with 3065 viewsCoastalblue

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:11 - Dec 1 by wkj

The way towns are growing now, the traditional high-street is probably on the way out. I can't pretend that I don't prefer to convenience of shopping areas like Ravenswood on the outskirts of towns. Getting stuck in town centre traffic has got to be one of the most unnecessary and hated consequences of high street shopping.

But, but, but

The pub

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:20 - Dec 1 with 3054 viewswkj

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:14 - Dec 1 by TractorWood

Prime property is too expensive. People can buy high margin dross online with next day delivery a ubiquitous feature. Even if it's £10, it's cheaper than going there, parking, public transport, inconvenience etc.

Online retail is the future. It's madness it's taken this long for some of these businesses to fail. The economics of the high street just don't really work any more. Those that are changing may survive.

Banks have been hammered for it for years but the truth is, you don't need branches.

I think there is a formula that can still work for high street branches of retail outlets, but not the department store model. Marksies would be gone if not for their food side (in my opinion).

Smaller shops with click and collect features may well improve their chances, but in 20 years I don't see there even being an appetite for visiting shops.

Curiously, Argos style operations surprise me when they struggle, they offer same day delivery, grocery store style deliveries they handle themselves and small storefronts, yet they don't seem to be thriving as well as I would expect.

Crybaby

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:20 - Dec 1 with 3058 viewssolemio

Of the 3 Debenhams stores that I went into with any regularity the Ipswich branch was by far the busiest. You could go into the Taunton and Welwyn Garden City branches and hardly see another customer.

I shall miss their loos.
There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:24 - Dec 1 with 3024 viewsgiant_stow

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:14 - Dec 1 by TractorWood

Maybe once landlords accept their buildings are almost useless, the costs in renting them will lower by enough to make in-person shopping viable again. It would help if the govt changed the tax incentives too, otherwise we'll be left with crappy empty city centres. Personally, I do everything I can to avoid shopping, but I'd hate to see hollowed out towns with nothing but houses left.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:37 - Dec 1 with 2949 viewsfactual_blue

The space ship building they have /had in Bury was rent-free I think.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:41 - Dec 1 with 2940 viewsfactual_blue

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:20 - Dec 1 by solemio

Of the 3 Debenhams stores that I went into with any regularity the Ipswich branch was by far the busiest. You could go into the Taunton and Welwyn Garden City branches and hardly see another customer.

I shall miss their loos.

You shouldn't miss their loos. It makes the toilet experience unpleasant for others.

Show some consideration. Improve your aim.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:43 - Dec 1 with 2937 viewsThe_Major

I hate to go all jumpers for goalposts, but it's another part of my going down the town when growing up that's now gone.

See also:

BHS in Tavern Street, when for some reason they had cheese on sale by the front door which knocked you off your feet when you came in

Going up to the Commodore 64s and Vic 20s on display in John Menzies and typing something like

10 PRINT "You all smell of wee"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

and then legging it out the door.

Getting completely lost in the Carr Street Co-op which seemed to go on for miles.

Wondering why there was two branches of Boots about 200 yards apart, and then traipsing up that lane from the back of the current one to get to Tower Ramparts pre-shopping centre.

And then, Woolworths. Seemed massive, escalator downstairs to get to the toy department. Nipping out the side door by the delivery bay on Cox Lane.

Join us next week for more Ipswich nostalgia when we'll be asking has ANYONE ever seen that fountain by the spiral car park actually work?
There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:55 - Dec 1 with 2909 viewshype313

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:20 - Dec 1 by solemio

I shall miss their loos.

Think the Ipswich branch is one of the most profitable in the country.

Not surprised though, it's been on life support for years and with brands such as Manteray and John Rocha no great shock.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:05 - Dec 1 with 2881 viewsDubtractor

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:11 - Dec 1 by DanTheMan

Last few times I've been in there (browsing for gifts) I've been really confused at who they were aiming for as customers. Always seemed a muddled and confused offering, and with a lack of quality in a lot of it.

Given the amount of competition out there it seemed a slippery slope.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:23 - Dec 1 with 2843 viewsSpruceMoose

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:11 - Dec 1 by wkj

I've thought for a while that town centres are going to end up having to be spaces that are more about housing and services/leisure/entertainment/recreation rather than retail. With a few exceptions, physical shops are not a necessary thing for many people anymore.

Even here, in places like Times Square, many of the high profile shops aren't remotely profitable and serve as little more than large, interactive advertisements for the business.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:27 - Dec 1 with 2827 viewsSwansea_Blue

See also ToysRUs

Also a massive blow for some town centres. Debenhams is the last department store here in Swansea and the main store in our smallish shopping centre. Unless another half-decent or better chain takes it over, it'll kill our city centre.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:31 - Dec 1 with 2813 viewsSpruceMoose

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:27 - Dec 1 by Swansea_Blue

Also a massive blow for some town centres. Debenhams is the last department store here in Swansea and the main store in our smallish shopping centre. Unless another half-decent or better chain takes it over, it'll kill our city centre.

Which other successful retail shops are out there that require massive retail space over three floors? The one in Ipswich is going to sit empty for years. May as well knock it down and out something more appropriate there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:32 - Dec 1 with 2814 viewsDubtractor

There goes Debenhams then.... on 11:43 - Dec 1 by The_Major

I hate to go all jumpers for goalposts, but it's another part of my going down the town when growing up that's now gone.

See also:

BHS in Tavern Street, when for some reason they had cheese on sale by the front door which knocked you off your feet when you came in

Going up to the Commodore 64s and Vic 20s on display in John Menzies and typing something like

10 PRINT "You all smell of wee"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

and then legging it out the door.

Getting completely lost in the Carr Street Co-op which seemed to go on for miles.

Wondering why there was two branches of Boots about 200 yards apart, and then traipsing up that lane from the back of the current one to get to Tower Ramparts pre-shopping centre.

And then, Woolworths. Seemed massive, escalator downstairs to get to the toy department. Nipping out the side door by the delivery bay on Cox Lane.

Join us next week for more Ipswich nostalgia when we'll be asking has ANYONE ever seen that fountain by the spiral car park actually work?

I don't consider myself as old, but easily remember all of that.

Sh1t. I'm old aren't I?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:34 - Dec 1 with 2807 viewsDubtractor

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:31 - Dec 1 by SpruceMoose

Which other successful retail shops are out there that require massive retail space over three floors? The one in Ipswich is going to sit empty for years. May as well knock it down and out something more appropriate there.

Knocking it down would be good.

Its a really ugly building surrounded by loads of really nice buildings.

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:38 - Dec 1 with 2794 viewswkj

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:27 - Dec 1 by Swansea_Blue

It is easy just to quip, stick up a charity store, betting shop or pound store, but deep down the truth of the matter to me is that shops in the town centre, particularly with the more affluent boroughs on the outer edge, have to offer significant discounts.

This is why Wilko, Poundland, Iceland, Sports Direct, Primark and similar types of stores are thriving currently. There is incentive to come in and browse if you feel like you're getting a discount. Successful retailers in town centres have used "loss leader" really well. Get them in on a bargain, and have them look around the rest of the store with "offers" - Debenhams have simply gone with simple price points and made up offers without enticing people in with genuine believable loss leader items.

For Swansea and other town centres to work, retailers have to integrate their online activities into the branches (click and collect, dot com deals... Clearance sold centrally and distributed locally) and also operate a shrewd loss leader strategy. Otherwise, nostalgia really is the only incentive for people to spend money getting into a town center for a bit of shopping.

Crybaby

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:39 - Dec 1 with 2794 viewsSpruceMoose

There goes Debenhams then.... on 12:34 - Dec 1 by Dubtractor

Knocking it down would be good.

Its a really ugly building surrounded by loads of really nice buildings.

There would be a really nice opportunity to make a lovely entrance way to the Cornhill if you knocked that down, did away with the bingo hall too, and built more attractive and appropriate units along a pedestrianised Lloyd's Avenue.

Spruce for Mayor.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024