Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Trump did his about turn 10:15 - Jan 8 with 5039 viewsGeoffSentence

Listening to Times Radio, some chap talking about why Trump did his about turn from calling his supporters special and inciting them to march on the Capitol. Amongst all the standard reasons, republicans turning on him, threat of impeachment and 25th amendment, this fellow is reporting that Trump was shocked by the 'quality' of the people who stormed the Capitol in his name.

Sorry didn't catch the reporter's name or expertise so can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I love the idea that Trump is that much of a snob that he is turned off by his own supporters.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:20 - Jan 8 with 1579 viewsbluelagos

I think it's easy to get overly worried about a mob getting itself wound up and basically behaving like a mob.

As revolutions go, breaking into the sitting "houses" and then basically taking a load of selfies, throwing some paper around and then leaving as soon as you can you get a wiff of tear gas, isn't really up there with the storming of the Bastille in it's impact.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:26 - Jan 8 with 1545 viewsHerbivore

Trump has always been disgusted by the kind of blue collar folk who support him. It's one of the ironies of working class voters who vote for the likes of Trump and for the Tories over here. They are voting for people who despise them and who will be working against their interests.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:26 - Jan 8 with 1545 viewseastwell_blue

According to the BBC 'expert' it was because it's finally sunk in that he's lost the election. So not fear of arrest or impeachment? Just coincidence?
Why Trump did his about turn on 10:27 - Jan 8 with 1526 viewsfooters

Well, he is right about one thing: his supporters are certainly 'special'.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:28 - Jan 8 with 1531 viewsBlueBadger

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:20 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

I think it's easy to get overly worried about a mob getting itself wound up and basically behaving like a mob.

As revolutions go, breaking into the sitting "houses" and then basically taking a load of selfies, throwing some paper around and then leaving as soon as you can you get a wiff of tear gas, isn't really up there with the storming of the Bastille in it's impact.

Was she the one that seemed to think she was.... by BlueBadger 7 Jan 2021 15:01
The only silver lining to come out of all this is the clear fact that Trump and his cultists are so utterly incompetent that what could have been really nasty is *just* upsetting and worthy of mockery. Imagine ho wit could have gone if he hadn't spent all his time on the golf course or trying to work out how he could use his office to enrich his family.

My concern in this is that the Republicans will have seen how appealing to the far-right is a vote-winner and field somebody competent at it next time round.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 10:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:29 - Jan 8 with 1502 viewsWD19

Because he is a moral coward.
Why Trump did his about turn on 10:31 - Jan 8 with 1503 viewsBlueBadger

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:29 - Jan 8 by WD19

Because he is a moral coward.

The word 'moral' is superfluous here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:37 - Jan 8 with 1477 viewsTractorWood

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:26 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

Trump has always been disgusted by the kind of blue collar folk who support him. It's one of the ironies of working class voters who vote for the likes of Trump and for the Tories over here. They are voting for people who despise them and who will be working against their interests.

See BoJo and Brexit.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:39 - Jan 8 with 1467 viewsfooters

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:26 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

They hate the elites, just not those elites. You know, the ones what talk funny and would be great to go for a pint with. Mugged off, time and again.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:43 - Jan 8 with 1449 viewsGuthrum

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:28 - Jan 8 by BlueBadger

Was she the one that seemed to think she was.... by BlueBadger 7 Jan 2021 15:01
The only silver lining to come out of all this is the clear fact that Trump and his cultists are so utterly incompetent that what could have been really nasty is *just* upsetting and worthy of mockery. Imagine ho wit could have gone if he hadn't spent all his time on the golf course or trying to work out how he could use his office to enrich his family.

My concern in this is that the Republicans will have seen how appealing to the far-right is a vote-winner and field somebody competent at it next time round.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 10:29]

Altho in reality it isn't a vote winner. They lost the Presidency and the Senate, as well as failing to take the House. Demographic changes also mean that it is probably a declining force, with rapidly increasing urban/suburban black and liberal populations more likely to vote for the other side.

If the Dems are halfway competent and can string together a term of Biden and then two of Harris, that process will be a further dozen years down the line.

Trumpism may appeal to a certain set of headbangers, but there aren't enough of them to win an election without broader appeal.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:43 - Jan 8 with 1450 viewsFtnfwest

they didn't even smash up any statues FFS
Why Trump did his about turn on 10:44 - Jan 8 with 1449 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Five people have died. I think it's a bit more serious than taking selfies and throwing some paper around.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:48 - Jan 8 with 1433 viewsfooters

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:44 - Jan 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Five people have died. I think it's a bit more serious than taking selfies and throwing some paper around.

Given this is America and most of this lot are gun nuts, I think only one being fatally wounded was a bit of a stroke of luck. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, all died from other medical issues, like heart attacks.

It could have been much, much worse than it was.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:51 - Jan 8 with 1426 viewsmonytowbray

I saw this last night too. It comes from an inside source close to Trump.

He felt it looked too “low class” for him to be associated with it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:51 - Jan 8 with 1419 viewsbluelagos

Fair comment.

But I was referring to the concern that democracy was somehow "under threat" from this lot.

From the video I saw (Taken inside the Capitol) they are a literally a mob of flag waving Trump supporters. Next to no guns on view.

To portray them as a genuine threat to democracy is to give them credit I don't think they deserve. There were just 200 members of the "Proud Boys" out of a reported 30k crowd.

So I take your point, but maintain they are not a genuine threat to democracy. They need challenging of course and hopefully the police will be all over it with prosecutions.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:53 - Jan 8 with 1414 viewsGuthrum

He's been staring at people like that at his rallies for the last five years. Was happy enough to be associated with them then.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:54 - Jan 8 with 1401 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:48 - Jan 8 by footers

Given this is America and most of this lot are gun nuts, I think only one being fatally wounded was a bit of a stroke of luck. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, all died from other medical issues, like heart attacks.

It could have been much, much worse than it was.

I think the restraint of the police was quite admirable (once the mob was inside) - had they started shooting, and given the trigger happy way some of them have been proven to behave previously, it could have been carnage.

Instead they cleared the Capitol in a peaceful manner which ultimately defused a situation that could have seen significantly more people killed.

Edit: Though the lack of preparedness when compared to how the BLM protesters were policed is pretty appalling.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 10:57]

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:54 - Jan 8 with 1406 viewsSteve_M

There seem to be two types of people who broke in, one is as you describe simpletons who seemed a bit shocked to find themselves inside the Capitol, but the others were potentially more dangerous, ex-military, armed and prepared with things like cable ties.

See thread below:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 with 1395 viewsBlueBadger

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:51 - Jan 8 by monytowbray

I saw this last night too. It comes from an inside source close to Trump.

He felt it looked too “low class” for him to be associated with it.

As Guffers has pointed out, he's been happy to cosy up to them for the past five years.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 with 1397 viewsDanTheMan

Then there were the pipe bombs they thankfully found.

Which astonishingly has barely been talked about.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 with 1413 viewsjacko77

Got to hand it to the orange one,he certainly knows how to deliver a speech! Old sleepy Joe could learn a thing or two from this.
Why Trump did his about turn on 10:56 - Jan 8 with 1387 viewsBlueBadger

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 by jacko77

Got to hand it to the orange one,he certainly knows how to deliver a speech! Old sleepy Joe could learn a thing or two from this.

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:58 - Jan 8 with 1362 viewsfooters

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:54 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

I think the restraint of the police was quite admirable (once the mob was inside) - had they started shooting, and given the trigger happy way some of them have been proven to behave previously, it could have been carnage.

Instead they cleared the Capitol in a peaceful manner which ultimately defused a situation that could have seen significantly more people killed.

Edit: Though the lack of preparedness when compared to how the BLM protesters were policed is pretty appalling.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 10:57]

Was it a question of restraint though, or did the sheer lack of numbers force their hand? I'm still shocked that this could've happened at all. Tin-foil hat time, but why the hell weren't there more police/national guard there when they presumably knew this was all going to happen?

Very strange.

Moose informs me there were 2.5k arrests in the LA BLM protests, compared to, what, ~50 of these nutcases. Barmy.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:01 - Jan 8 with 1349 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:54 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

There seem to be two types of people who broke in, one is as you describe simpletons who seemed a bit shocked to find themselves inside the Capitol, but the others were potentially more dangerous, ex-military, armed and prepared with things like cable ties.

See thread below:

All the pictures I've seen would indicate that the selfie takers far out numbered the more organised semi-paramilitary types that you highlight (Group 2rs).

Not condoning anyone, just suggesting that what we witnessed was a mob of flag carrying dickheads with yeah, a few hardcore dangerous nutters thrown in.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:02 - Jan 8 with 1339 viewsDanTheMan

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:01 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

All the pictures I've seen would indicate that the selfie takers far out numbered the more organised semi-paramilitary types that you highlight (Group 2rs).

Not condoning anyone, just suggesting that what we witnessed was a mob of flag carrying dickheads with yeah, a few hardcore dangerous nutters thrown in.

You don't need many dangerous nutters to cause a significant amount of harm.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024