Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Trump did his about turn 10:15 - Jan 8 with 5200 viewsGeoffSentence

Listening to Times Radio, some chap talking about why Trump did his about turn from calling his supporters special and inciting them to march on the Capitol. Amongst all the standard reasons, republicans turning on him, threat of impeachment and 25th amendment, this fellow is reporting that Trump was shocked by the 'quality' of the people who stormed the Capitol in his name.

Sorry didn't catch the reporter's name or expertise so can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I love the idea that Trump is that much of a snob that he is turned off by his own supporters.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:03 - Jan 8 with 2002 viewslowhouseblue

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:48 - Jan 8 by footers

Given this is America and most of this lot are gun nuts, I think only one being fatally wounded was a bit of a stroke of luck. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, all died from other medical issues, like heart attacks.

It could have been much, much worse than it was.

has there been any more reporting on those who died non-violently? it seems a remarkably high mortality rate even given the demographics of trump supporters. there must be more to it than that. are morbidly obese people at risk form sudden death from tear gas? otherwise it is really very odd.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

And there you have it.... on 11:03 - Jan 8 with 2010 viewsunstableblue

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 by jacko77

Got to hand it to the orange one,he certainly knows how to deliver a speech! Old sleepy Joe could learn a thing or two from this.

..... Biden's last two speeches have been excellent. Yes he's no spring chicken - but every word was heart felft and valid. Trumps' was a disgrace*

You even suggesting anything positive about Trump, and that speech, just sums up my point that the Trump LIE - the whole of his presidency is a LIE - has effected the UK and people within it.

*He's reading words made for him from a teleprompter. And they ARE COMPLETELY different to what he said yesterday and what he thinks - everything he said in that speech was a lie. He emboldened those people, he praised them as patriots, he sympathised and created their cause (which was a LIE)

You need to go and look at some facts.... jesus wept

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:03 - Jan 8 with 2002 viewsMookamoo

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:54 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

There seem to be two types of people who broke in, one is as you describe simpletons who seemed a bit shocked to find themselves inside the Capitol, but the others were potentially more dangerous, ex-military, armed and prepared with things like cable ties.

See thread below:

They even had the tour shirt printed. That takes some organisation.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:04 - Jan 8 with 1999 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

Then there were the pipe bombs they thankfully found.

Which astonishingly has barely been talked about.

The FBI have a picture of him and have offered $50k for his successful ID and prosecution. Suspect he'll be facing a decent stretch once they catch up with him.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Wake up on 11:05 - Jan 8 with 1997 viewsunstableblue

Got to hand it to the orange one,he certainly knows how to deliver a speech! Old sleepy Joe could learn a thing or two from this.

THE LIE by unstableblue 8 Jan 2021 10:55
Just what the actual f@ck

If you compare and contrast that speech, with his speech on the podium, and then his (subsequently) banned twitter video on the day.... that new scripted video, is just one BIG FAT lie.... he started and incited these people to storm the capitol, he continued to praise them and call them patriots as they did it, expressing an 'understanding' of their shared grievance.

It is mind boggling, he just lies CONSTANTLY, and has done for 4 years and all his life. I have ranted about it because you knew it has cause real consequences. At it effects the UK and our direction - Farage should have no place in UK life, Tory leadership need to look at their position on this fool, versus their European cousins.

But there was a brilliant piece from a Harvard academic yesterday - the whole Trump campaign and presidency is built on a lie:
- that he was competent (see Covid),
- that he cared for the American people and put them first,
- that he was pro-Black when he was promoting racism,
- that there was ever anything called fake news,
- that the democrats are radical communists,
- and that he was fit for office

That lie has been extended, magnified, with a huge lie that there is electoral fraud of any level that could effect the election result - its a whopper. These lies are amplified and validated by social media - which is rabid and unchecked.

Unless the Republican Party, Fox News, the 70million voters, the hardcore 20-40million MAGA devotees wake up in part to that LIE, understand and come to terms with how they embraced it, then America remains damaged.

And for all those who say, "oh its just Trump", "we all know he's like that", "its just stupid Americans". "why worry so much about Trump" - how far away from the lie are we in UK PLC?

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:05 - Jan 8 with 1991 viewsfooters

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:03 - Jan 8 by lowhouseblue

has there been any more reporting on those who died non-violently? it seems a remarkably high mortality rate even given the demographics of trump supporters. there must be more to it than that. are morbidly obese people at risk form sudden death from tear gas? otherwise it is really very odd.

I haven't seen much about it, but maybe it was a symptom of the stampede to get in, some of it looked very crowded. And of course this is a country where cholesterol counts as one of your five a day.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:05 - Jan 8 with 1987 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:58 - Jan 8 by footers

Was it a question of restraint though, or did the sheer lack of numbers force their hand? I'm still shocked that this could've happened at all. Tin-foil hat time, but why the hell weren't there more police/national guard there when they presumably knew this was all going to happen?

Very strange.

Moose informs me there were 2.5k arrests in the LA BLM protests, compared to, what, ~50 of these nutcases. Barmy.

Absolutely they were not properly prepared for a well advertised demo. Think a couple of them have resigned already over that.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:09 - Jan 8 with 1982 viewsunstableblue

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:53 - Jan 8 by Guthrum

He's been staring at people like that at his rallies for the last five years. Was happy enough to be associated with them then.

There was an interview with a Republican advisor last night... someone said "do you think the President is becoming unhinged"

He just nailed it - "he's been unhinged from the start, i've been on enough conference calls with him to know that he has a very tenuous grasp of reality, a poor relationship with the truth, he only listens to what he wants to hear, and surrounds himself with 'yes men'"

And he was the President of the US, and the Republicans are rallying behind him again, and there is at least one poster on this board showing that people in the UK still think there was anything good about him

Its all one BIG FAT LIE

Login to get fewer ads

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:09 - Jan 8 with 1977 viewslowhouseblue

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:05 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

Absolutely they were not properly prepared for a well advertised demo. Think a couple of them have resigned already over that.

though i guess you don't normally think: "presidential rally, right so we need get ready for them to storm the capitol".

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:10 - Jan 8 with 1974 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:48 - Jan 8 by footers

Given this is America and most of this lot are gun nuts, I think only one being fatally wounded was a bit of a stroke of luck. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, all died from other medical issues, like heart attacks.

It could have been much, much worse than it was.

Of course it could have been worse. Not the point though.

They said "medical issues" for 3 of them but it hasn't been said what that means yet. And the police officer died from fighting with rioters.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:11 - Jan 8 with 1969 viewsGuthrum

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:51 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

Fair comment.

But I was referring to the concern that democracy was somehow "under threat" from this lot.

From the video I saw (Taken inside the Capitol) they are a literally a mob of flag waving Trump supporters. Next to no guns on view.

To portray them as a genuine threat to democracy is to give them credit I don't think they deserve. There were just 200 members of the "Proud Boys" out of a reported 30k crowd.

So I take your point, but maintain they are not a genuine threat to democracy. They need challenging of course and hopefully the police will be all over it with prosecutions.

The occupation of the Capitol largely petered out because their targets - the lawmakers and the EC votes being counted - were taken to safety. Short of burning the building down, there was literally nothing left for them to go after.

A reason for the lack of guns on display was the strict laws on carrying in DC and an the Capitol site itself.

The storming of the Bastille was also largely a symbolic event (most of the political prisoners they had gone to relaease were not there). But it was effective both as an attack upon royal oppression and as part of an extended campaign of actions culminating in the march on Versailles and the storming of the Tuileries

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:12 - Jan 8 with 1963 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:51 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

Fair comment.

But I was referring to the concern that democracy was somehow "under threat" from this lot.

From the video I saw (Taken inside the Capitol) they are a literally a mob of flag waving Trump supporters. Next to no guns on view.

To portray them as a genuine threat to democracy is to give them credit I don't think they deserve. There were just 200 members of the "Proud Boys" out of a reported 30k crowd.

So I take your point, but maintain they are not a genuine threat to democracy. They need challenging of course and hopefully the police will be all over it with prosecutions.

Oh I agree I don't think they're a genuine threat to democracy.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:15 - Jan 8 with 1948 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why Trump did his about turn on 10:55 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

Then there were the pipe bombs they thankfully found.

Which astonishingly has barely been talked about.

This is the first I've heard of it, which proves your point!

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:15 - Jan 8 with 1950 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:09 - Jan 8 by lowhouseblue

though i guess you don't normally think: "presidential rally, right so we need get ready for them to storm the capitol".

But forgetting the on day preparedness or otherwise of the local police, the sitting houses seem remarkably unprotected compared to say the houses of parliament.

The steps up to the Capitol seemed to have 3 ft removable barrier to stop people. Contrast that to the gates at the end of Downing St.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:16 - Jan 8 with 1949 viewsGuthrum

In what way was that a well-delivered speech? He was clearly reading a script and lacked any real shred of sincerity. The style was too obviously not his own and the timing cynical (24 hours delay and following on from his "we love you" messages on the day).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:17 - Jan 8 with 1940 viewsfooters

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:15 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

But forgetting the on day preparedness or otherwise of the local police, the sitting houses seem remarkably unprotected compared to say the houses of parliament.

The steps up to the Capitol seemed to have 3 ft removable barrier to stop people. Contrast that to the gates at the end of Downing St.

I did think about protestors trying to storm the HoP. Wouldn't get very far, would they?! It's insane that America's parliamentary buildings have such a lack of protection, especially when Congress was about to certify Biden...

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:18 - Jan 8 with 1935 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:12 - Jan 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Which is the point I was trying to make. Maybe not clear enough on my part.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:21 - Jan 8 with 1926 viewsPinewoodblue

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:12 - Jan 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

The fact Trump could get the Republican nomination and then get elected President is by far the biggest threat to democracy.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:21 - Jan 8 with 1926 viewsbluelagos

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:15 - Jan 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

This is the first I've heard of it, which proves your point!

So two pipe bombs were found outside the DNC and RNC offices. FBI have released a CCTV pic of a guy who is the suspect and have now offered $50k to any info that leads to his conviction. He has very distinctive footwear so sure the CCTV teams will be able to get better pics too if needed.

Genuine terrorist who will no doubt be given a long stretch once caught/convicted.

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:21 - Jan 8 with 1921 viewsfooters

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:21 - Jan 8 by Pinewoodblue

The fact Trump could get the Republican nomination and then get elected President is by far the biggest threat to democracy.

Not the Dominion voting machines, then?

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:21 - Jan 8 with 1921 viewsMookamoo

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:15 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

It was remarkable how easy it was.

I watched the first few episodes of Designated Survivor before getting bored of it. The idea being there has to one member of the cabinet off-site when all three branches of Government are sitting in the capitol in case it gets attacked. It's obviously something they're aware of. Just not aware that it would be the home cooked white folks that did the attacking.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 11:23]
Why Trump did his about turn on 11:27 - Jan 8 with 1897 viewsSteve_M

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:10 - Jan 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Of course it could have been worse. Not the point though.

They said "medical issues" for 3 of them but it hasn't been said what that means yet. And the police officer died from fighting with rioters.

They could easily be members of staff as much as protesters.

As for the police office, seems he was hit repeatedly over the head with a fire extinguisher or bricks.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:41 - Jan 8 with 1881 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why Trump did his about turn on 11:27 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

They could easily be members of staff as much as protesters.

As for the police office, seems he was hit repeatedly over the head with a fire extinguisher or bricks.

"They could easily be members of staff as much as protesters." Not really sure what your point is here fella.

Why Trump did his about turn on 12:12 - Jan 8 with 1859 viewsIllinoisblue

Hitler was good at rallies too. Really whipped up feelings

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why Trump did his about turn on 12:14 - Jan 8 with 1857 viewsPendejo

Why Trump did his about turn on 12:12 - Jan 8 by Illinoisblue

Hitler was good at rallies too. Really whipped up feelings

Mussolini was also a great orator wasn't he?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024