Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrop and possibly Thomas 22:17 - Jan 18 with 2624 viewsHerbivore

They must be costing a pretty penny. Does anyone honestly think that money wouldn't be better spent paying off Lambert and getting a capable manager in instead?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:28 - Jan 18 with 2212 viewsbobbyramsey

Hopefully his last roll of the dice....
Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:37 - Jan 18 with 2157 viewsmonty_radio

If those were the realistic alternatives, then wouldn't argue.

But assuming one or both arrives, on the evidence of their packaged Youtube highlights they look an upgrade on what we have. Granted it's the selected best, but for most of "our own" no such package could be put together.

One thing was unavoidably noticeable though - most times, when Thomas created chances in open play, Barnsley had 4 players in the box, even seven on one occasion, and that, not from a set piece.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 9:52]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:40 - Jan 18 with 2141 viewsMrTown

Expensive deals.

Clear indication Evans is backing Lambert right now.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 22:40]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:42 - Jan 18 with 2115 viewsChrisd

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:37 - Jan 18 by monty_radio

If those were the realistic alternatives, then wouldn't argue.

But assuming one or both arrives, on the evidence of their packaged Youtube highlights they look an upgrade on what we have. Granted it's the selected best, but for most of "our own" no such package could be put together.

One thing was unavoidably noticeable though - most times, when Thomas created chances in open play, Barnsley had 4 players in the box, even seven on one occasion, and that, not from a set piece.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 9:52]

If he does sign, he’ll need to slow his play down to walking pace. I’m sure that will get drilled into him.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:58 - Jan 18 with 2026 viewsBluefish

They can be Messi but if they are forced to stay high and wide it will do nothing. Every player we have used out there has played the same way except maybe Judge. They are wasted so wide

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:59 - Jan 18 with 2009 viewsJ2BLUE

Completely agree.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:03 - Jan 18 with 1990 viewsHerbivore

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 22:59 - Jan 18 by J2BLUE

Completely agree.

It really smacks of throwing good money after bad.

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:09 - Jan 18 with 1965 viewsBent_double

Wouldn't be surprised to see a sale (any of Jackson/Edwards/Nolan/Woolfy) that covers the cost though.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:17 - Jan 18 with 1934 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:09 - Jan 18 by Bent_double

Wouldn't be surprised to see a sale (any of Jackson/Edwards/Nolan/Woolfy) that covers the cost though.

Edwards and Downes are out of contact! Could they be part of the deal?
Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:42 - Jan 18 with 1869 viewsreusersfreekicks

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:17 - Jan 18 by BtreeBlueBlood

Edwards and Downes are out of contact! Could they be part of the deal?

Switched their phones off?
Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:23 - Jan 19 with 1593 viewsitfcjoe

It shows up the theory that ME is happy in this league running us on a smaller budget.

It’s not that he doesn’t care, it’s that he’s incompetent when it comes to judging Lambert

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:31 - Jan 19 with 1566 viewsHarry_Palmer

I'm pretty sure the only person who thinks otherwise is Evans, who it appears is making yet another terrible decision in backing Lambert. Absolute joke of an owner who is going to get a rather large shock come season ticket renewal time.
Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:42 - Jan 19 with 1534 viewsChrisd

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:23 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

It shows up the theory that ME is happy in this league running us on a smaller budget.

It’s not that he doesn’t care, it’s that he’s incompetent when it comes to judging Lambert

Not really, if he was serious about getting out of this league then he’d have got rid of the manager especially when all the analytical data is highlighting how ineffective we actually are on the pitch. One new signing isn’t going to change that.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:42 - Jan 19 with 1533 viewsArnieM

Even though I would welcome paying Lambert off . I suspect his pay off would be far higher than the loan deals Evans is now paying for.

And on that note. It’s an example yet again that Evans DOES pit money into this Club.

OP: you made the comment on another thread that McCarthy was underfunded in the Championship compared to many other Clubs. In part I’d dispute this. Yes he was given less than his predecessors but he did still receive a reasonable kitty . McCarthy CHOSE to use the funding he was given by Evans on expensive wages for “ real blokes”/ journeymen, who commanded very high wages. He picked up these journeymen on frees ( often available because they came with baggage such as injuries, and high wages). The use of loanees such as Jonniesta, Lawrence, and Fraser would have cost a very large chunk in wages. So hardly underfunded I’d suggest and he did bring in some decent players. But like Lambert, it’s his poor application of his squad that was his undoing. McCarthy himself in 2017 said the level of spending in the Championship was not sustainable. He got that bit right at least!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:31 - Jan 19 with 1414 viewsHerbivore

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:42 - Jan 19 by ArnieM

Even though I would welcome paying Lambert off . I suspect his pay off would be far higher than the loan deals Evans is now paying for.

And on that note. It’s an example yet again that Evans DOES pit money into this Club.

OP: you made the comment on another thread that McCarthy was underfunded in the Championship compared to many other Clubs. In part I’d dispute this. Yes he was given less than his predecessors but he did still receive a reasonable kitty . McCarthy CHOSE to use the funding he was given by Evans on expensive wages for “ real blokes”/ journeymen, who commanded very high wages. He picked up these journeymen on frees ( often available because they came with baggage such as injuries, and high wages). The use of loanees such as Jonniesta, Lawrence, and Fraser would have cost a very large chunk in wages. So hardly underfunded I’d suggest and he did bring in some decent players. But like Lambert, it’s his poor application of his squad that was his undoing. McCarthy himself in 2017 said the level of spending in the Championship was not sustainable. He got that bit right at least!

We had the 16th to 18th lowest spend on wages during McCarthy's time here and consistently spent nothing at all on fees. So yes, he was underfunded for that level if we were hoping to achieve promotion. We consistently over performed relative to our budget under Mick, so saying he didn't get the best out of the players he brought in is just plain wrong. By contrast we now have a top 3 budget and have spent some money here and there but we struggle to crack the top 10. And Lambert came in and inherited a squad already good enough to be one of the best in League 1, Mick didn't inherit a side capable of getting out of the Championship. The situations aren't remotely comparable.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 8:39]

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:33 - Jan 19 with 1398 viewsHerbivore

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 07:23 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

There's only a couple of other sides who could afford to bring in the likes of Harrop and Thomas at this level so ME is clearly happy to chuck some more money at it. It also rather puts paid to the idea that the only reason Lambert is still here is because ME can't afford to pay him off. Worryingly, it seems he's not paying him off because he thinks he's actually capable and just needs to add to our already bloated squad to get us over the line.

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:36 - Jan 19 with 1382 viewsGuthrum

Marcus Evans thinks that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:37 - Jan 19 with 1361 viewsHerbivore

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:36 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Marcus Evans thinks that.

Depressingly accurate and to the point, Guthers.

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:40 - Jan 19 with 1334 viewstractorboy1978

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:33 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

There's only a couple of other sides who could afford to bring in the likes of Harrop and Thomas at this level so ME is clearly happy to chuck some more money at it. It also rather puts paid to the idea that the only reason Lambert is still here is because ME can't afford to pay him off. Worryingly, it seems he's not paying him off because he thinks he's actually capable and just needs to add to our already bloated squad to get us over the line.

How much are they actually costing though? We were already at the limit of the salary cap wages wise so it'll be one in, one out in that regard - max of approx £2k p/w. It could be that we are paying chunky loan fees - the rules don't seem overly clear on what is allowed here.

Lambert is going to have absolutely no excuses. He can't argue he hasn't had the tools.
Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:50 - Jan 19 with 1294 viewsHerbivore

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:40 - Jan 19 by tractorboy1978

How much are they actually costing though? We were already at the limit of the salary cap wages wise so it'll be one in, one out in that regard - max of approx £2k p/w. It could be that we are paying chunky loan fees - the rules don't seem overly clear on what is allowed here.

Lambert is going to have absolutely no excuses. He can't argue he hasn't had the tools.

One way or another we'll be covering Championship wages, whether that's through a lump sum or taking over their wages. We may even be paying a little more as a sweetener given that the players we've gone for are around the first team sqaud at their clubs. That's going to be a decent chunk of change.

There's been no excuses for Lambert for 18 months. This changes very little in that regard.

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:53 - Jan 19 with 1278 viewsBluefish

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:50 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

One way or another we'll be covering Championship wages, whether that's through a lump sum or taking over their wages. We may even be paying a little more as a sweetener given that the players we've gone for are around the first team sqaud at their clubs. That's going to be a decent chunk of change.

There's been no excuses for Lambert for 18 months. This changes very little in that regard.

We also go over the 22 man squad?

You have to assume 2 from Jackson, Edwards and Downes are leaving plus donacien

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:54 - Jan 19 with 1280 viewstractorboy1978

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:50 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

It's more whether we can or not within the scope of the rules.

Andy Warren said we'd agreed to pay only £1k a week of Harrop's wages on the KOA podcast last week and then Preston reverted and wanted to re-negotiate.

Paul Warne was saying the other day they want to get a couple out on loan but the club they are dealing with only has £500 p/w left in their salary cap budget.
Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:59 - Jan 19 with 1258 viewsHerbivore

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:53 - Jan 19 by Bluefish

We also go over the 22 man squad?

You have to assume 2 from Jackson, Edwards and Downes are leaving plus donacien

Players can just be removed from the squad, they don't have to leave. I'm still baffled why we turned down Plymouth's offer for Donacien when Lambert clearly doesn't rate him at all and it would have freed up wages and a space in the sqaud. Downes won't go, his injury has seen to that. Edwards won't either, that's just wishful thinking on your part. Jackson is more possible but he's had a very stop start season so not sure there'd be much interest.

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 09:10 - Jan 19 with 1199 viewsBluefish

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 08:59 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Players can just be removed from the squad, they don't have to leave. I'm still baffled why we turned down Plymouth's offer for Donacien when Lambert clearly doesn't rate him at all and it would have freed up wages and a space in the sqaud. Downes won't go, his injury has seen to that. Edwards won't either, that's just wishful thinking on your part. Jackson is more possible but he's had a very stop start season so not sure there'd be much interest.

I know we can remove them but it then makes no sense at all not trying to move them out permanently or on loan. I think those 3 have every chance of going, the downes injury might be a blocker but he came through the game OK. Really can't see us adding both of them without some departures.

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 09:18 - Jan 19 with 1170 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Harrop and possibly Thomas on 23:03 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

It really smacks of throwing good money after bad.

Evans is an expert at that. He doesn't want to admit he fecked up with the manager again, so he's throwing more resources at the problem.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024